Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 3686 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2020, 10:22:13 AM »
quite possibly the most subdued albion promotion celebration for me. anyway boing boing indeed. roll on September or whenever the new season starts
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »
If you’re in the top two from September till the end of the season then it’s no fluke that we got promoted  :D

Even if you think it's all over after a Friday night defeat against Huddersfield.  ;)
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

LiamTheBaggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
Even if you think it's all over after a Friday night defeat against Huddersfield.  ;)

What a contrast in emotions this week  :D :D
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
What a contrast in emotions this week  :D :D

For Some  ;)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »
For Some  ;)

Agreed, I was anxious I admit, but I said a while back fatigue would be a factor, it hit Brentford like a sledgehammer as soon as the pressure came on them.
Baggie in Southampton

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
" In the championship with West Brom, teams want to beat you and there is pressure. It speaks volumes for the players that we have handled it. Brentford were chasing us but when your chasing there's nothing to lose. Brentford had one game of pressure which was the the Stoke game ( they lost 1-0 and missed the chance to leapfrog West Brom). We had it for the whole year."

Quote from Charlie Austin.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »
A bit late but had to have a bit of a break, it's been exhausting. Mightily relieved that the season is now over and No Play Offs!! I, probably like the players would have really struggled with that. Of course we had to make it entertaining, the last two fixtures were extremely kind and we still had to do it that way. Brentford showed as well just what that bit of pressure can do.

We should have won the game comfortably, similar to the Blackburn game. Perhaps not quite to that extent but we were well on top before their 2nd shot got them level. It was a big call putting Robinson in but it worked, we have all had a debate and bit of a moan about the other options, he did miss a sitter but was a lot more involved and effective on the game. Nice to have a bit of movement up there and someone looking to run or at least capable of running. It can be discussed whether he has a part to play here next year but it was a good performance that created another great memory.

I am so delighted for the players and you could see the relief at the end of the game, not the same celebrations as usual without the fans but it was great to see the joy of the team. Extra pleased for Livermore and Brunt who both put in very good performances, Livermore's attitude and interview has been spoken about, very endearing. We had a struggle but it was a big achievement for the group. I am still very much in the proud/relieved mode and any concerns or talk about what we have for next season can wait for a bit.

A bit of flavour into the evening I had, watching on Sky did the heart nearly sink for anyone else when they showed the Brentford miss with about 10 minutes to go? Every time they had gone to a ground beforehand it was to show a goal so naturally when they went there with Brentford on the attack, I was just repeating 'They've scored' in pure anguish. Then thinking we are not going to score. I could not believe that they put us through that.

Finally the big Barnsley moment, a close friend messaged my sister to say Barnsley had scored and we were going up. He is a Villa fan and has been revelling the past couple of weeks at our struggles and my pain, knowing I would be avoiding my phone so this was the way I was going to get the message. I was convinced this was a wind up and there had in fact been a goal the other way, I had made the decision if he was lying he was not stepping foot in this house again. The joy when I checked the Sky sports app and then just that couple of minutes wait. What a night.  ;D

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »
I watched the game on a German digital platform, which kept switching backwards and forwards to the Brentford game for the entire 90 minutes. So I only saw about half our game and had to keep the audio on from iFollow which was about 10 seconds behind. Just to fill people in on the Brentford game, they never got going until the last half hour. First half, I'd never seen Benrahma and Watkins so quiet. But at the end they looked like they would score. But full marks to Barnsley who gave it 100%.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2020, 08:34:01 PM »
I've just spent spent the last 5 months in the UK... away from my partner of 24 years, who was waiting for me in Spain. My mother, who had been suffering with dementia for many years, was on her last legs. I'd offered to help my sister watch over her, for her last few months, in her home. That was late February. I was offered a ticket to all remaining home games, so I was looking forward to witnessing another promotion...the last one being Oldham 76. The first game was supposed to be Blues at home. I held my mother's hand as she took her final breathe on Easter Sunday. After the QPR game, watched on my phone at my mother's house, I ventured down my local, and hugged the only Albion fan in a Vile pub. My first hug since Easter day. I'm now back in Spain, and can't embrace my partner for another two weeks, due to her being susceptible to diseases. I met her briefly for a few beers, and she was wearing a navy blue and white dress... just for me. This promotion, regardless of how it was achieved, is the most special one ever.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »
I've just spent spent the last 5 months in the UK... away from my partner of 24 years, who was waiting for me in Spain. My mother, who had been suffering with dementia for many years, was on her last legs. I'd offered to help my sister watch over her, for her last few months, in her home. That was late February. I was offered a ticket to all remaining home games, so I was looking forward to witnessing another promotion...the last one being Oldham 76. The first game was supposed to be Blues at home. I held my mother's hand as she took her final breathe on Easter Sunday. After the QPR game, watched on my phone at my mother's house, I ventured down my local, and hugged the only Albion fan in a Vile pub. My first hug since Easter day. I'm now back in Spain, and can't embrace my partner for another two weeks, due to her being susceptible to diseases. I met her briefly for a few beers, and she was wearing a navy blue and white dress... just for me. This promotion, regardless of how it was achieved, is the most special one ever.
Words cannot .....
All the very best Sir.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..