Author Topic: Portsmouth away 1994  (Read 1231 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Portsmouth away 1994
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
Who here was there on this day in 94? (I think it was today!)
I can just about remember all round mayhem all weekend and a monumental trip back home
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Portsmouth away 1994
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »
One of the maddest days I an remember, lads hanging out of the train windows held in by feet, Pompey was rough as ferk back then !
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

mr multivac

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 07:19:43 PM »
I was there a absolute magic day so many baggies , almost as good as port vale at Wembley

zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
I was there a absolute magic day so many baggies , almost as good as port vale at Wembley
I’m sure that most clubs feel that they have the best “special days” but I genuinely feel we do...and that was one of them
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:39:17 AM by kris_boing »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Cardiaccarol

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 09:59:35 PM »
Loved the pre-match build up.

How was that not all ticket???

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »
I woke up in someone's garden in a right area of Portsmouth the next morning no idea how! had to hitchike back to West Brom!! Those where the days.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 01:02:47 AM »
Who here was there on this day in 94?.........

Not me unfortunately. I was back in Germany although I did attend our last home game versus Grimsby, and on the Brummie! Last home fixture with the terraces. For the Pompey game I was at a barbecue in Krefeld. Among others a Pompey fan was present. Sadly my temperament was somewhat questionable back then. On reflection I was an immature and overly aggressive hand shanker with a fist speed to match. Glad to post said Pompey fan looked almost as happy as I when the final score came through, and I was bouncing around like a happier than happy Cheshire cat on speed   ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 08:22:26 AM »
It was indeed a great day, with of all things a header from Peggy, sending us into raptures. A real nail-biter though, and happy to get on the road home for me.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
Baggie in Southampton

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Best away day ever, police did a fantastic job controlling inside the ground, outside was bedlam.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »
We hired a coach from the Five Ways in West Brom, met up at about 7am for breakfast and a pint.
I remember half the terrace along the side of the pitch being given to Albion fans as we took so many.
anything can be proven with facts.
I much prefer knee jerk reaction and prejudice

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
Great day. The game seemed to last forever, as there were a few scuffles between our fans and theirs which spilled on to the pitch. The police must of been caught out as they probably didn’t think we wouldn’t bring as many fans as we did. Fratton park, what a dump.
Submariners go deeper

baggiedom

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 03:13:28 PM »
Yeah was there bonkers day for sure, drove down got there for bout 11am baggies everywhere! Proper rough thete in them days remember it kicking off when we scored, also remember one of oir fans dressed as a clown he was big lad yellow wig bobbing up and down 😁happy days

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 03:38:47 PM »
Who here was there on this day in 94? (I think it was today!)
I can just about remember all round mayhem all weekend and a monumental trip back home

Not me, I was in Dudley Road hospital listening to it on the radio. I was given an injection to calm me down because the nurses were worried about the stitches in my back.  The stories I still hear today about that weekend are not for the fainthearted.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 06:18:46 PM »
Sunday night after the game Hunt, Raven and I think Agnew we’re out celebrating, boing on the dance floor with hunt bud going every where TIL the early hours
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

chippyclarke

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 10:58:48 AM »
What a day! Got a parking ticket and at the end of the match on the pitch with most of the other Baggies, suddenly a long screwdriver landed at my feet - thrown about 30 yds by a Pompey fan.

EastYorksAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
Not me unfortunately. I was back in Germany although I did attend our last home game versus Grimsby, and on the Brummie! Last home fixture with the terraces. For the Pompey game I was at a barbecue in Krefeld. Among others a Pompey fan was present. Sadly my temperament was somewhat questionable back then. On reflection I was an immature and overly aggressive hand shanker with a fist speed to match. Glad to post said Pompey fan looked almost as happy as I when the final score came through, and I was bouncing around like a happier than happy Cheshire cat on speed   ;D .
I was at the match, absolutely mental day, strangely enough I was based in Krefeld too then and had driven back for the game, via Brum to pick up my mates. Some very confused people that day seeing a left hand drive car with Krefeld plates full of Albion fans.

LiamTheBaggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
Kind of spooky that you pair speak of Krefeld.

We have a number of mates in Krefeld who often come to The Hawthorns and vice versa.

It’s always an added bonus that they return with bottles of Korn..

I recall it being freezing cold on my visits !  :D
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

EastYorksAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
Kind of spooky that you pair speak of Krefeld.

We have a number of mates in Krefeld who often come to The Hawthorns and vice versa.

It’s always an added bonus that they return with bottles of Korn..

I recall it being freezing cold on my visits !  :D

I have had some mental nights drinking Korn back in the day. Though for the Pompey day, I brought a slab of wobbly (Warsteiner) back with me, which my mates demolished as I was driving.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
I have had some mental nights drinking Korn back in the day. Though for the Pompey day, I brought a slab of wobbly (Warsteiner) back with me, which my mates demolished as I was driving.

Loved the Wobbly. First drank it in a bar whilst attached to a section of Bundeswehr on an evasion exercise. Top evading  ;D . Were you with the Royal Signals? I was attached to 7 Sigs in Herford and then following their move to Krefeld. Venlo was a very popular destination. The Eros Centre behind camp beside the railway line seemed quite popular too........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

EastYorksAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
Loved the Wobbly. First drank it in a bar whilst attached to a section of Bundeswehr on an evasion exercise. Top evading  ;D . Were you with the Royal Signals? I was attached to 7 Sigs in Herford and then following their move to Krefeld. Venlo was a very popular destination. The Eros Centre behind camp beside the railway line seemed quite popular too........
I was a shiny backside, attached to 28 Sigs which became 280 Sigs, at St Tonis. I may have known a few people who were regular Visitors  to the Eros.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »
I was a shiny backside, attached to 28 Sigs which became 280 Sigs, at St Tonis. I may have known a few people who were regular Visitors  to the Eros.
A shiny a***e, now there's a blast from the past, you two have got me all nostalgic now
Never got much beyond Paderborn myself on my occasional forays into the old Germany, and used to enjoy the ritual of showing my backside, after removing cap badges, to the East German border guards and their cameras. When stationed in Aldershot the Para's used to fondly refer to us as 'c**p hats' until it was time for us to administer their shots and 'cough twice' test or scrape them up off the ground after deliberately jumping out of a perfectly serviceable airplane
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:22:32 PM by BigFrank20 »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

viaductbaggies

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »
Was also there went down on the coach from kiddy, took ages to get in with loads climbing in over the fence if I recall we were going in round the back of houses and were queued up round by there garages

Remember taking over part of there terracing with only tape as segregation it soon kicked off

EastYorksAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 09:55:29 AM »
I still say to this day that the ref blew the final whistle early. My memory is that there were Albion fans stood round half the pitch basically on the touch line waiting to invade the pitch, a late goal for Pompey would have caused bedlam, so I am convinced the ref blew early, certainly wasn’t any stoppage time.