Author Topic: Pre Match Chat  (Read 3045 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
They were supposed to be very good vs Forest too. Looks like we are playing them as they come in to form.

We do have 2 days extra prep and rest than them though.
We've just had 3 months rest and stil! Look knackered.😁

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »
Unless Brentford are now getting 4 points for a win, I think you mean 2.

It was written before Fulham played Leeds if Fulham had won the gap would have been 4 points , then Fulham play on Tuesday night if they won that that they would have only been 1 point behind us.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 10:19:52 AM »
Really important that we start picking up the points. We need to get all 3 points from this game to maintain the advantage over Brentford but also for confidence and a boost to settle any nerves.
It's not going to be an easy game by any means and the creative players really need to up their game in terms of doing something positive with the ball and actually creating something for the forwards (Kanu or whoever).

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 but would obviously prefer us to play well, be really creative and score a hatful!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 10:31:21 AM »
Really important that we start picking up the points. We need to get all 3 points from this game to maintain the advantage over Brentford but also for confidence and a boost to settle any nerves.
It's not going to be an easy game by any means and the creative players really need to up their game in terms of doing something positive with the ball and actually creating something for the forwards (Kanu or whoever).

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 but would obviously prefer us to play well, be really creative and score a hatful!
We have it in us mate so the next two games are pivotal. If we win both, the first two games will be all but forgotten, if we don't and, god forbid, lose on Wednesday I really do fear for our chances.

Team selection and formation is key, has to be 4-3-3 with Phillips out and Krov in. I wish we had a viable replacement for Livermore and Kanu, but it doesn't look like we do, so they need to up their game as, even at their very best, they are barely above average.

Bilic also needs to earn his corn now in terms of motivation and man-management.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
I'd takepoint if I'm honest as I don't know where our goal threat is coming from, Bilic needs to tighten up our defence. O'Shea on for Furlong much better defender.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »
I'd takepoint if I'm honest as I don't know where our goal threat is coming from, Bilic needs to tighten up our defence. O'Shea on for Furlong much better defender.

We've conceded 2 in our last 6 league games. Our lack of goals is what is hurting us. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing O'Shea return to the fold.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »
They have been abysmal under Monk.

We have to start winning games and this is a great opportunity to get off the mark.

Johnstone

Furlong Ajayi Hegazi Townsend

Krovinovic Sawyers Livermore

Pereria  Austin  Diangana

I’d leave Gibbs out as he’s made of biscuits and we do not want him breaking down for the next 6 weEks

The Team I’d like to see

I rate Hegazi more than Bartley but when Hegazi plays he passes well from the back and bypasses the midfield a bit to much.

When Bartley plays he gives it to our midfield more and we play through the side. We have to move and find space then and make the runs we did when at our best.

Must win game now for me

Johnstone

Furlong Ajayi Bartley Gibbs

Sawyers Livermore

Perreria

Grosicki                 Diangana
                 Austin

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »

I agree with MW.
IMO Bilic has tried to instill a defensive mindset- which has succeeded so effectively that he  has changed the team  to a defensive psyche. I do believe that we went into the Brentford game either confused or 'a draw will do'. Well slaven, you have work to do! we have the quality - get them focused on what they do best.

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
I agree with MW.
IMO Bilic has tried to instill a defensive mindset- which has succeeded so effectively that he  has changed the team  to a defensive psyche. I do believe that we went into the Brentford game either confused or 'a draw will do'. Well slaven, you have work to do! we have the quality - get them focused on what they do best.

That Brentford game was a confusing one as well as went into it knowing that a draw would do, which isn't a mindset suited to our team. It's a bit like going into second leg 1-0 up and not knowing if to stick and twist, inevitably you end up doing neither. As least we know we have to try to attack Wendesday and win the game.

baggiemart

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
Playing both Livermore and Sawyers is too defensive. I would drop one of them and play Krov.  Bartley is more of a threat at corners than Hegazi so that would be another change. Also Grosiky in for Phillips. I would also try Roninson down the centre.  Kanu, Austin and Zohore have not given us much so need to try something different. However, I don't Bilic will be so adventureous and he will start with his old faithfuls !!  So my team would be  :

Johnstone
Furlong, Ajay, Bartley, Gibbs
Sawyers,
Grosiky, Krov, Pereira,
Robinson, Diangana,

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »
Playing Livermore and Sawyers is not too defensive, or at least it wasn't earlier in the season. One would sit and the other would press further forward. This doesn't appear to be happening as much now making transitions slower and more predictable.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
Playing Livermore and Sawyers is not too defensive, or at least it wasn't earlier in the season. One would sit and the other would press further forward. This doesn't appear to be happening as much now making transitions slower and more predictable.
But
I think a number of things have had an impact...I posted last week that Darnell had mentioned that they were really focusing on not conceding...to take the pressure of the frontline , also Livermore AND sawyers are both deeper (see what happened when only Diangana and Kanu went on a counter in the first half🙄🙄)...finally , hegazi ..parking the is he better than Bartley argument .....what he does is play longer balls missing out the pacemaker (sawyers) and we have less effect at corners ..

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »
Heard it about 5 times now, if you want more threat at corners you don't pick Bartley, you pick someone to actually take a decent corner.  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »
Heard it about 5 times now, if you want more threat at corners you don't pick Bartley, you pick someone to actually take a decent corner.  ;)

hard to argue with that, we overhit so many dead balls and balls from the back against Brentford, it was criminal. Our lot must train with medicine balls
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »
Livermore looks out on his feet and fitness is all he brings to team, Sawyers needs a rocket up his backside to move the ball forward quicker. Harper and Krovinovic would be my preference.

zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Or we just have 3 of them trot across to the corner flag and then boot it straight out 😂

Being serious I just don’t think he can give us what he did....he would also slow down this team too much
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 07:47:38 PM »
Livermore looks out on his feet and fitness is all he brings to team, Sawyers needs a rocket up his backside to move the ball forward quicker. Harper and Krovinovic would be my preference.
you can only get the ball forward quicker if there is actually someone forward to get it to
 quicker!

baggiemart

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 07:58:06 PM »
Since the restart Livermore doesn't look as fit as he did before the lockdown.  Hence he's not getting around the pitch as quick. 

This will be an interesting team selection. If he picks the majority of the same team and plays the same way, it proves to me that Bilic isn't the right man for the job. After the last two performances its crying out for drastic changes.  Over to you Mr Bilic !!!

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2020, 01:07:23 AM »
 ;D

I know this sounds left of field but  I would put PEREIRA AND AUSTIN up front for this game with Krov and Sawyers providing the "bullets".

We have to change something to get us scoring goals.

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2020, 11:40:06 AM »
Would certainly give Austin a go. But when and how? Should we start with him for the first half to try to get us an early lead and force the game to open up a bit, then capitalise with some pace from either Robinson or even Phillips up front. Or do we bring him on for the last 20 or so against hopefully tiring defenders to try to nick a late goal if needed?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »
If I were a "tiring defender" I would relish a last 20 minutes against CA instead of Phillips or Robinson
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
cor argue with that. Doubt if any defenders tire enough to slow down to his pace, but with Austin its the positioning and movement that can mean he gets chances none of others would. Give him half an hour and see what happens - can't be worse than what we have tried can he?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »
cor argue with that. Doubt if any defenders tire enough to slow down to his pace, but with Austin its the positioning and movement that can mean he gets chances none of others would. Give him half an hour and see what happens - can't be worse than what we have tried can he?
As many have said, Austin doesn't really fit the way we play so, maybe we adapt a bit and play to his strengths? We have enough talent to pull defenders around and get balls into the box.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »
Lots of goals are scored playing balls into players running into the box. If a striker is just stood waiting for a ball to reach him, he will be easily marked.
Its about timing runs and the passer has got to spot the run. When that's timed properly, its very difficult for defenders to pick up.
Here I'd be looking for much more involvement from Sawyers, Robinson and Gibbs. In the case of Sawyers, he never seems to run into the box. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

lewisant

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 04:00:06 PM »
Unless Brentford are now getting 4 points for a win, I think you mean 2.

I wrote it before Leeds beat Fulham. If Fulham beat Leeds then won on Tuesday it would've been a point. I'm thankful it isn't the case but Brentford being 2 points behind us heaps on the pressure!

I hope to see Austin start and Periera and Grady keeping their places. I can't remember what team i chose but Krov in for Phillips and a switch to more of a 433 will suit. I'd consider dropper Livermore as he just looks like a boxer again, he's not mobile enough.