Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 245300 times)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5250 on: October 12, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
IDS said in the commons that the average age of the people who die is 82.4 and the death rate is 0.6%.

I find it staggering that people’s lives are being turned upside down because of this I really do.

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5251 on: October 12, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »
;D ;D  It would be nice to think that people take this as an opportunity to re-evalate things, not just health but work\life balance etc.

Absolutely mate. Good things can come out of this going forward. I just googled my bmi and I'm in the acceptable range. Thought I was obsese  :o

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5252 on: October 12, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »
BMI thinks The Rock is morbidly obese.

Use a navy body fat calculator if you're concerned.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5253 on: October 12, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »
Oh yeah it's a nonsense. Doesn't take into account private parts that rest on the scales for a start. Sadly I don't have that problem.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5254 on: October 12, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
I'm surprised that your unaware that covid is seasonal. Respiratory diseases are always seasonal. When the weather gets colder and there is less moisture in the air, they thrive. That is why Europe has a very low prevalence of the virus over the summer. Why do you think we have a flu season every winter? Covid-19 is a corona respiratory disease, just like influenza (although more severe in older age groups).

A lockdown is successful IF you have only a handful of cases in your country and close the borders. You can then stamp out the small number of cases that turn up, which is what has happened in New Zealand and Australia. Although that policy cannot be kept going indefinitely. Once you have widespread contamination then there is scant evidence that lockdowns have any meaningful impact.

Your right to say that Vietnam has had very few deaths. That is the case across Asia as a whole - regardless of lockdown policies. Japan has also been as successful without a lockdown. Nobody quite knows why covid hasn't done much damage in Asia. They have less obesity and high vitamin D levels. The other notable point is that that part of the world was hit hard by bird flu, which is another corona virus and there is some suggestion of cross immunity; so their populations are less susceptible.

Also some good comparisons in the USA with New York and Florida and their seasonal outbreaks
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5255 on: October 12, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »
It's not so much about being fat, it's about nutrition and being healthy internally. Often being overweight is a cause of being unhealthy but not always, i.e. smokers can be skinny. The main thing is people who eat badly/don't get enough vitamins etc.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5256 on: October 12, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »
It's not so much about being fat, it's about nutrition and being healthy internally. Often being overweight is a cause of being unhealthy but not always, i.e. smokers can be skinny. The main thing is people who eat badly/don't get enough vitamins etc.

It's about diabetes, if you are obese, you heading towards diabetes, type 2 diabetes is entirely self inflicted, Covid loves glucose.
Baggie in Southampton

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5257 on: October 13, 2020, 10:00:00 AM »
I went for a health check before lockdown and was told by the medic doing tests that they could not do my BMI because I am an amputee.  :o

Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5258 on: October 13, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »
According to news reports SAGE wanted a short sharp lockdown a few weeks ago, so what happened to the following the science remark we heard so much about.  :o
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5259 on: October 13, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5260 on: October 13, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »
According to news reports SAGE wanted a short sharp lockdown a few weeks ago, so what happened to the following the science remark we heard so much about.  :o

No idea Kev' but from a wholly selfish and personal perspective I'm glad we didn't have one.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5261 on: October 13, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »

Science released today show that it's possible to get reinfected a second time. If that's true for vaccines as well then lockdown is little more than circuit breaker for protecting the NHS.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5262 on: October 13, 2020, 01:02:52 PM »

Probably because the science does not have to weigh up additional elements of NHS' services, people's health and well-being, the economy, people's livelihoods and more importantly public response..
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5263 on: October 13, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
Probably because the science does not have to weigh up additional elements of NHS' services, people's health and well-being, the economy, people's livelihoods and more importantly public response..

Seems more like govt putting wealth before health plus bowing to their own backers e.g Wetherspoons !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5264 on: October 13, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »

Seems more like govt putting wealth before health plus bowing to their own backers e.g Wetherspoons !

The economy will have some bearing on it but its not just the rich lining their pockets bits ordinary people not being able to put food on the table. If they were to implement another lockdown that will have a big impact on mental health and other none covid deaths.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

boinging_along

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5265 on: October 13, 2020, 02:33:08 PM »

Yeah, to be fair, the science should be put forward without any political thought - it's then up to the government to base policy off that. 

It's not a good look seeing as they hid behind the "we're following the science" early on in the pandemic to avoid criticism on the lockdown timing and mask usage.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5266 on: October 13, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
Oh yeah it's a nonsense. Doesn't take into account private parts that rest on the scales for a start. Sadly I don't have that problem.

You do realise that the "bits" still weigh even if not in contact with the scales don't you?   Just asking for a friend :-)
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5267 on: October 13, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »
You do realise that the "bits" still weigh even if not in contact with the scales don't you?   Just asking for a friend :-)

Mine are too small too register  ;D

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5268 on: October 13, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »
143 deaths reported in the previous 24 hours. Here we go again.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5269 on: October 13, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »
I hope the track and trace is up to scratch  :o :D

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5270 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:20 PM »
143 deaths reported in the previous 24 hours. Here we go again.

Yep, just waiting for all those experts on Westbrom.com that guaranteed us there would be no second wave to reassure us it's just a blip.  ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5271 on: October 13, 2020, 09:28:28 PM »
It can only kill the elderly and seriously ill once.  It can't dig them up and kill them twice much as the media would love to be able to report it.

Thousands of 'new' people slip into the main fatal COVID range ( 99% aged 80+ and already ill) I'd be very surprised if it goes anywhere  near 500+ deaths a day again. It will sadly kill a small percentage of these 'new' elderly.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:53:59 PM by gazberg »

boinging_along

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5272 on: October 13, 2020, 09:50:34 PM »
But that's assuming the virus has spread through the ones it could kill the first time around. There'll be plenty of high risk people who haven't yet had it.  It won't just be killing off 'new' elderly, it'll kill those it missed first time around too.

Thankfully treatment options are improving and we are quicker at reaching to it.

Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5273 on: October 14, 2020, 10:02:53 AM »
Despite improved treatments I heard they are still talking about a 20% death rate across covid hospitalisations. It's an improvement but hospitals are filling up and there will still be a lot of deaths.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5274 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
circuit breaker lockdown on its way
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties