Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 129474 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4125 on: July 31, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »
I think there has been a correlation established showing that "liberals" and centrists are more likely to comply with facemasks and other rules and right wing libertarians who are more likely to be refuseniks.

Mmm, I noticed that amongst the 250 at a funeral
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:25:15 PM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4126 on: July 31, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
Mmm, I noticed that amongst the 250 at a funeral

I'm quietly confident that if there were females (of said edited religion) in attendance, quite a few of them would indeed have been wearing masks of some description  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4127 on: July 31, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »
He hid in a fridge to avoid giving an interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9XoiFbZcI
I know, but my point was is that where we are in the mudslinging stakes..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4128 on: August 02, 2020, 07:16:20 AM »
They told us at the start of the pandemic that there was 'no evidence that face coverings were effective in protecting against COVID-19'. Then they changed their minds but gave no scientific evidence for the change. Yet they've told us all along not to touch our faces. And now we're ALL touching our faces several dozen times a days to take masks on/off. Surely masks are contributing to the spread? The Spanish have theres on all day long but cases are escalating there.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4129 on: August 02, 2020, 08:14:34 AM »
They told us at the start of the pandemic that there was 'no evidence that face coverings were effective in protecting against COVID-19'. Then they changed their minds but gave no scientific evidence for the change. Yet they've told us all along not to touch our faces. And now we're ALL touching our faces several dozen times a days to take masks on/off. Surely masks are contributing to the spread? The Spanish have theres on all day long but cases are escalating there.

They have always said the benefit of masks was hard to quantify, In the early days they didn't want medical grade masks being used by the general population which is understandable.
The more recent research indicates there is some benefit, but that can be negated by a false sense of security affecting behaviour.
On balance, if used correctly, there is a benefit in wearing masks.
Most of the rise in Europe is I believe attributed to behaviour of younger people, which I suppose is also understandable.
Baggie in Southampton

boinging_along

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4130 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:02 AM »

The mask is to help prevent the wearer passing on the disease to others as their breath particles don't travel so far.  We should he wearing them and washing hands before/after taking them off. 

When you wear PPE in the medical and construction industries you get training on how to put on/take off face masks to avoid contamination.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4131 on: August 02, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
The mask is to help prevent the wearer passing on the disease to others as their breath particles don't travel so far.  We should he wearing them and washing hands before/after taking them off. 

When you wear PPE in the medical and construction industries you get training on how to put on/take off face masks to avoid contamination.

That's correct, one of the riskiest periods of PPE use is in the removal phase.
That should not be too much of an issue with general mask wearing but as you say, hand washing remains very important, let's face it, we all gradually get a little more complacent over time.
Baggie in Southampton

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4132 on: August 02, 2020, 10:02:46 AM »
That's correct, one of the riskiest periods of PPE use is in the removal phase.
That should not be too much of an issue with general mask wearing but as you say, hand washing remains very important, let's face it, we all gradually get a little more complacent over time.
That's true, I must admit I have lost track of what we are actually allowed to do and not do - it doesn't help living in Wales where they are staying out of step for what looks like political posturing, but it is partly just not being able to keep the focus up.  I stuck to it all fine during the full lockdown, but it is just going on so long.

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4133 on: August 02, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »
That's true, I must admit I have lost track of what we are actually allowed to do and not do - it doesn't help living in Wales where they are staying out of step for what looks like political posturing, but it is partly just not being able to keep the focus up.  I stuck to it all fine during the full lockdown, but it is just going on so long.

Boris Johnson is facing calls to resume daily press conferences to keep the public informed about coronavirus, after new evidence showed as many as a third do not know the main symptoms of the disease.

Newly-released minutes from a meeting of the government’s scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) revealed concern that as few of 65 per cent of people are aware that a persistent cough and fever can be telltale signs of Covid-19 infection.

The government’s “test, trace and isolate” strategy to bear down on coronavirus relies heavily on the public coming forward for testing if they display any indications of infection which may not be debilitating enough for them to seek medical treatment or even take to their beds.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4134 on: August 02, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »
Boris Johnson is facing calls to resume daily press conferences to keep the public informed about coronavirus, after new evidence showed as many as a third do not know the main symptoms of the disease.

Newly-released minutes from a meeting of the government’s scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) revealed concern that as few of 65 per cent of people are aware that a persistent cough and fever can be telltale signs of Covid-19 infection.

The government’s “test, trace and isolate” strategy to bear down on coronavirus relies heavily on the public coming forward for testing if they display any indications of infection which may not be debilitating enough for them to seek medical treatment or even take to their beds.

I think there should be a press conference, if not daily then at least several times a week, it's important to maintain public engagement and keep information current and relevant.
Baggie in Southampton

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4135 on: August 02, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »
35% of the population are apparently still unaware of the symptoms of Covid'? Where do they get these figures? More importantly where have the apparent 35% been hiding their heads all of these months? If the 35% are for real I'd suggest there's an argument to line them up against a wall for the preservation of the other 65%.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4136 on: August 02, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »
35% of the population are apparently still unaware of the symptoms of Covid'? Where do they get these figures? More importantly where have the apparent 35% been hiding their heads all of these months? If the 35% are for real I'd suggest there's an argument to line them up against a wall for the preservation of the other 65%.

You would be amazed how I'll informed some younger people are, in their defence, they just live their lives, they often don't even watch the news beyond headlines.
Baggie in Southampton

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4137 on: August 02, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »

Some people still dont believe Covid is real, some wont be controlled by the Government ( their words not mine ) some refuse to wear a mask,  some will refuse a vaccine, and worst of all some dont give a s**t about other people.

Is that 35%? I would suggest it is a bigger percentage.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4138 on: August 02, 2020, 01:50:36 PM »
Some people still dont believe Covid is real, some wont be controlled by the Government ( their words not mine ) some refuse to wear a mask,  some will refuse a vaccine, and worst of all some dont give a s**t about other people.

I think you are being a little unfair, yes, some people will believe any conspiracy theory, some are just selfish, but the vast majority of people want to do the right thing.
Baggie in Southampton

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4139 on: August 02, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
I think you are being a little unfair, yes, some people will believe any conspiracy theory, some are just selfish, but the vast majority of people want to do the right thing.

If the vast majority of people want to do the right thing why are whole City's and Town's going into Lockdown? 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4140 on: August 02, 2020, 02:09:32 PM »
If the vast majority of people want to do the right thing why are whole City's and Town's going into Lockdown?

Because as with anything it only takes a small minority to spoil things for the rest of us...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4141 on: August 02, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
Because as with anything it only takes a small minority to spoil things for the rest of us...

So why let the small minority spoil it for the rest of us? Enforce the restrictions by making them law if that is the only way to beat this bloody awful virus.

I dont want this to happen to me,

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-over-50s-could-be-told-to-stay-at-home-to-avoid-second-nationwide-lockdown-12040780

gazberg

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4142 on: August 02, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »
Theres no way to realistically govern and enforce mask wearing for nearly 70 million people. Look after those most likely to suffer from it buit again  dont force them to stay inside, let them make an informed choice about whether to go outside or not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:49:03 PM by gazberg »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4143 on: August 02, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »
So why let the small minority spoil it for the rest of us? Enforce the restrictions by making them law if that is the only way to beat this bloody awful virus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-over-50s-could-be-told-to-stay-at-home-to-avoid-second-nationwide-lockdown-12040780

How do you suggest that is done. We are not a police state.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4144 on: August 02, 2020, 04:21:05 PM »
I went to Halfords today to pick an order up. What shocked me the most was the majority of people were wearing masks but either had there nose exposed in some cases they just it on their chin! Incredible scenes. Most of those were 50+ and not in great shape.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4145 on: August 02, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »

Not very often i agree with you! But i am 100% with you on this  ;D

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4146 on: August 02, 2020, 04:35:32 PM »

Part of your earlier post suggested that somewhere in the region of 65% of people were aware of the symptoms of Covid'. It made no reference to people refusing to accept advice/guidance, the use of a vaccine or a reluctance to be controlled by the government.

My point, regardless of personal choices, is that anyone who doesn't know the actual symptoms of Covid by now must be so thick as to be a threat to the general gene pool.

If the government makes a tested vaccine available and people don't want to take it because they won't be told that's fine by me, as I'll get to the front of the queue quicker.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4147 on: August 02, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »
I am over 50 and work in operating theatres. Many other staff are over 50 and others came back in their 70's to help.
Ok they may say the NHS is exempt.
But we still lead lives outside.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4148 on: August 02, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
How do you suggest that is done. We are not a police state.

The Government can bring in emergency regulations which gives the police more power and if that means a police state so be it, anything to try and stop the spread of this Virus.

Or do you suggest just let the small minority do what the hell they like and sod the consequences.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4149 on: August 02, 2020, 06:40:40 PM »
Owning and running my small business in Barmouth this week has been the hardest week I've done in 14 years. I'm shocked at how many people are acting as if everything is back to normal, I'm spending more time constantly have to ask customers not to enter due to capacity restrictions or not to stand in the doorway where people have to push past them. They're totally ignorant of the social distancing laws in Wales.
Not sure if they're totally thick of just ignorant,can't wait for September when the masses leave.