West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: the Gift  (Read 502 times)

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
the Gift
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »
Some have it, most do not ! I call it the Gift and its a difficult thing to explain, but here goes....

Some players will rise to the top whatever environment they are performing in, if they are in a pub team they will be the best player in that pub team, if the same guy makes it to semi-pro they will be the one people point to and say 'he could make it", in a championship team he will the one who the big boys should be looking at and so on......

They have some innate ability to excel at whatever level they are at. As I said at the outset they are almost as rare as unicorns and examples to illustrate "the Gift" are very few and far between,

Currently only 1 or 2 grace English football, Virgil van Dyke is most surely one, Groeningen - Celtic - Soton - Liverpool - Netherlands,  wherever he has gone he hasn't been average, he hasn't been just good he has been the best by far, as his employers improve, so does he. I would also argue that N'golo Kante is another with "the gift" Boulogne, Caen, Leicester, Chelsea, France he has graced them all with seeming ease and nonchalance.  While others work hard and no doubt have talent, they do not have the something indefinable which makes fans and pundits alike wonder "how did he get there? how can he read the game so much better? how can he be everywhere? how can he be SO consistent? It is simply because they have "the Gift"

Berbatov also had it, the languid style, the arrogance, the perceived laziness, yet he played at the very top with such ease and made mere very, very good players look inferior whenever he wanted to.

Who was the last Englishman with the Gift ? it was most likely the troubled spirit that is Paul Gascoigne, an enigma who could rise above the very best seemingly at will and do things by instinct which left us fans open mouthed and crying out for more, 

Now the really contentious bit (and I loathe myself for saying this) but, I think there is another Englishman who is going largely under the radar at the moment who may have "the gift". Greasy Jack, he has "something" which has made him standout at Aston Villa (spits), he now has the opportunity to show his ability week in, week out, against and with a better quality of player than he had to compete with before.

I believe Greasy Jack will improve again, he will be the Villa Star of 2019, he will shine as brightly as he did last season. In the hot-house that is the premier league he will blossom more than before, in fact I believe he will quickly outgrow the Villa and he will be plucked from their squad very quickly.

Greasy is not a likeable character he has traits which will offend many, but I think he has "it" and if i'm right he can really go all the way, or he could crash and burn, my money is on him becoming one who will be talked about like Berbatov / Gascoine / Van dyke etc, I just hope its not for the vile.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
Re: the Gift
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »

They have some innate ability to excel at whatever level they are at. As I said at the outset they are almost as rare as unicorns and examples to illustrate "the Gift" are very few and far between,

Currently only 1 or 2 grace English football, Virgil van Dyke is most surely one, Groeningen - Celtic - Soton - Liverpool - Netherlands,  wherever he has gone he hasn't been average, he hasn't been just good he has been the best by far, as his employers improve, so does he. I would also argue that N'golo Kante is another with "the gift" Boulogne, Caen, Leicester, Chelsea, France he has graced them all with seeming ease and nonchalance.  While others work hard and no doubt have talent, they do not have the something indefinable which makes fans and pundits alike wonder "how did he get there? how can he read the game so much better? how can he be everywhere? how can he be SO consistent? It is simply because they have "the Gift"

Totally agreed on Van Dyke.... the guy who Pulis refused to sign for us from Celtic, despite a very strong recommendation from a member of his own staff!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:09:26 PM by OldburyWBA »

Offline Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:43:04 PM »
McGinn at Villa. He was their best player last season and I think despite the £125m+ spent he'll be their best player again this year.

Offline Pie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:56:44 PM »
He certainly gifted spurs the goal to put them ahead today  :P