Author Topic: Nathan Ferguson  (Read 53318 times)

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Nathan Ferguson
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2020, 05:45:08 AM »
Until he signs I don’t want him anywhere near the match day squad. His choice at the end of the day.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2020, 06:55:23 AM »
Until he signs I don’t want him anywhere near the match day squad. His choice at the end of the day.

Only one winner and one loser there  ::)
If we're paying his wages why wouldn't you play him if he was fit. Don't understand the logic
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

jimmyj

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #377 on: January 15, 2020, 09:23:14 AM »

And do you think such an action will push him closer or further from signing an extended contract with us? The very definition of cutting our noses to spite our face.

None of us know the real story that's happening in the background. What we can rely on are known facts. He been with us since for over a decade. Bilic recognised his capabilities and elevated him to the first team. Since debuting he has been VERY good, certainly better than any of us would expect considering his age. He knows that he is more likely than not our first choice in his position. All these things are contributing factors to him agreeing to sign, when all is said and done. Freezing him out and giving him additional reason to look elsewhere is not going to help our cause.

I feel confident that when the dust settles he will remain our player.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
I've never seen or read anything to suggest Nathan has an off attitude. Well, except for on a couple of football forums that is. I understand calls to freeze him out unless he signs but I remember how I was when aged nineteen.

If I felt I was being backed into a corner there's no way on earth I'd have signed a new contract and that's coming from a lifelong Albion supporter.

I suspect many others would have been the same. Further if I thought a pal was being mucked about I'd have backed him up 100% no matter what.

Freezing Nathan out backs him into a corner and potentially sends the wrong message to our other young players currently mulling over contract offers. Very risky game to play.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

jimmyj

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »
Excellent point. All his mates that he has grown up with in our academy will be watching this closely to see how we treat Ferguson now.  We don't want to start burning bridges, just when it looks like our academy is starting to produce.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #380 on: January 15, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
If he really is looking to leave then I would drop him. Because at the end of the day he won't givec100% anymore. He will be worried about getting injured and possibly missing his dream move. Anyone not committed to the club does not warrant a place ahead of a player that wants to play for WBA. He's not bigger then the club. Clearly his agent has engineered this.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #381 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
in all honesty, the last 4-5 games he has played he has been very poor in my opinion and i feel that this contract talk is affecting his performances.

based on his performances alone, when he is fit he wouldnt walk straight back in for me and if the players in his position are performing then he has to wait for his chance again. he should be given another opportunity to get back into the team and assess his performance again like we would with any other player out of form etc.

he still seems to be acting professional so if that is what he wants then still involve him and play him as normal and let him go for nothing in the summer. HOWEVER, if someone was willing to pay 6-10m for example this month and he has indicated that he has no intention of signing another contract then i would let him go. we can cope without him.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #382 on: January 15, 2020, 02:15:30 PM »
I've never seen or read anything to suggest Nathan has an off attitude. Well, except for on a couple of football forums that is. I understand calls to freeze him out unless he signs but I remember how I was when aged nineteen.

If I felt I was being backed into a corner there's no way on earth I'd have signed a new contract and that's coming from a lifelong Albion supporter.

I suspect many others would have been the same. Further if I thought a pal was being mucked about I'd have backed him up 100% no matter what.

Freezing Nathan out backs him into a corner and potentially sends the wrong message to our other young players currently mulling over contract offers. Very risky game to play.
Great post mate, some on here always assume the kids have an attitude when then don't just jump to attention, and sign the contract put in front of them. The point about the other youngsters watching how their mates are treated is well made. We have already seen little of Harper this season, and that after he signed his contract.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

timdon

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »
in all honesty, the last 4-5 games he has played he has been very poor in my opinion and i feel that this contract talk is affecting his performances.

based on his performances alone, when he is fit he wouldnt walk straight back in for me and if the players in his position are performing then he has to wait for his chance again. he should be given another opportunity to get back into the team and assess his performance again like we would with any other player out of form etc.

he still seems to be acting professional so if that is what he wants then still involve him and play him as normal and let him go for nothing in the summer. HOWEVER, if someone was willing to pay 6-10m for example this month and he has indicated that he has no intention of signing another contract then i would let him go. we can cope without him.
Sorry mate, you are being utterly unrealistic. If he has indicated that he has no intention of signing a new contract, I would expect that we would accept a bid of £1-£1.5 million for him. No way in the world would we get anything remotely resembling your figures when he only has 5 months left on his contract.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #384 on: January 15, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Sorry mate, you are being utterly unrealistic. If he has indicated that he has no intention of signing a new contract, I would expect that we would accept a bid of £1-£1.5 million for him. No way in the world would we get anything remotely resembling your figures when he only has 5 months left on his contract.

I could be totally wrong so don’t quote me  :) but I’m sure I read somewhere that if he goes in the summer and runs down his contract we would get roughly 5 million in compensation from the club that sign him . Changes if he goes abroad though.So it would have to be a decent bid to let him go this month . Sure I’ve read that somewhere

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #385 on: January 15, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
If he refuses to sign and we play him then other prospects breaking into the team will expect to be able show zero loyalty without consequences. I already think it’s a disgrace that Ferguson / his agents have refused to sit down with the club. He can’t hide behind his agents, they act on his instructions. Utterly disrespectful, from a player we have given everything to.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #386 on: January 15, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »
I could be totally wrong so don’t quote me  :) but I’m sure I read somewhere that if he goes in the summer and runs down his contract we would get roughly 5 million in compensation from the club that sign him . Changes if he goes abroad though.So it would have to be a decent bid to let him go this month . Sure I’ve read that somewhere
unless he goes abroad.  That compensation figure would be English club only.

timdon

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #387 on: January 15, 2020, 07:32:21 PM »
unless he goes abroad.  That compensation figure would be English club only.
Which is exactly why we would accept a relatively low bid. A bird in the hand etc.

zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #388 on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
If he really is looking to leave then I would drop him. Because at the end of the day he won't givec100% anymore. He will be worried about getting injured and possibly missing his dream move. Anyone not committed to the club does not warrant a place ahead of a player that wants to play for WBA. He's not bigger then the club. Clearly his agent has engineered this.

Assou akotu who played as a wing back for spurs actually disliked football in general...never once did he not give 100%
To some is football
To some it’s passion
To some it’s just a job, but whichever it is doesn’t stop the application
Ferguson is a very good player and always (imo) gives application
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:51:16 PM by Dexy »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

jimmyj

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #389 on: January 15, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »
If he refuses to sign and we play him then other prospects breaking into the team will expect to be able show zero loyalty without consequences. I already think it’s a disgrace that Ferguson / his agents have refused to sit down with the club. He can’t hide behind his agents, they act on his instructions. Utterly disrespectful, from a player we have given everything to.

I've got to say, I hate this attitude. It feels very entitled. West Brom are his employer. We didn't give him his ability or talent. As a club we gave him a contract we deemed suitable for both parties. The only thing he "owes" us, is to meet the terms of that contract. As a club, we have left plenty of kids by the wayside when they didn't meet muster. This is simply the other side of that coin. Our clear failing is that we did not identify his potential before this season.

If we want him to stay, we show the carrot, not the stick. Freezing him out because he owes us will just push him closer to the door.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #390 on: January 15, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »
It happens both ways, have a look at how many players have been released by the Albion at the age 16-20 in the last 10 years you are looking at 100+ easy.

Why is there no uproar when this happens but there is when a player may wish to leave, let’s face it if he weren’t no good and we released him last year not one of you having a pop at him would have one care in the world what happened to him yet you expect him to stay all loyal to you now.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #391 on: January 15, 2020, 10:18:21 PM »
I've got to say, I hate this attitude. It feels very entitled. West Brom are his employer. We didn't give him his ability or talent. As a club we gave him a contract we deemed suitable for both parties. The only thing he "owes" us, is to meet the terms of that contract. As a club, we have left plenty of kids by the wayside when they didn't meet muster. This is simply the other side of that coin. Our clear failing is that we did not identify his potential before this season.

If we want him to stay, we show the carrot, not the stick. Freezing him out because he owes us will just push him closer to the door.
I think our coaches would argue that the time and money the club invest in the academy would have gone a long way in getting him to the levels he’s currently at
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #392 on: January 16, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »
Just shut the academy down and spend the money saved on poaching kids from other teams when they're finishing their development. All that's happening nowadays is that any kid who looks like an obvious talent is being advised by their agent to wait for a better offer elsewhere.

See how many local kids end up being great players when there's one less academy in the area in which to learn their trade. Villa and Wolves will only take on so many kids and are the facilities and training going to be as good at the smaller clubs like Walsall and Kidderminster? Our kids are usually playing against good quality opposition too.

skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #393 on: January 16, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
Just as a matter of interest what are the actual facts? Has he or his agent said that they are refusing to agree to a new contract? Has he actually said he wants to go abroad?

I ask because I don't know, and from reading the thread, there seems to be a lot of assumptions.
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #394 on: January 16, 2020, 11:25:37 AM »
Without me going through this thread (so not sure whats being assumed anymore), I went to an ex-Albion player evening in December, this former player still works within the Albion and he stated that NF's representatives are point blank refusing to talk to Albion whatsoever. That has come from inside the club but other than that I dont know, as I say that was in December
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten
Twitter - @Hodge2802

Bakeyaface

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #395 on: January 16, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
I second that, I don't want to make accusations but I do know a friend of mine that knows the family and they suggested it's representatives that are guiding his choices. I'll leave it there.

royhan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #396 on: January 16, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
Agents have ruined football. The trouble is that there is nothing the clubs can do about them.  They are sadly here to stay.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #397 on: January 16, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
Agents earn off a move.......they are going to be going all out to get him a lucrative contract somewhere

Agents should be banned from the football side of things and only involved in outside football interests in my honest. Agents getting paid millions of a transfer fee and a % of wages is utterly ludicrous.

B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
All this agent stuff is baloney, the agent works for Ferguson, not the other way around.

If Ferguson wants to stay, he'll stay.  If he wants to go he'll go.   Might appease some people to think that some big nasty faceless agent is manipulating him but truth be known he has a mind of his own and it will be his decision at the end of the day.

Personally I think he'll be off, the writing is on the wall.
"This crack is really moreish."

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
All this agent stuff is baloney, the agent works for Ferguson, not the other way around.

If Ferguson wants to stay, he'll stay.  If he wants to go he'll go.   Might appease some people to think that some big nasty faceless agent is manipulating him but truth be known he has a mind of his own and it will be his decision at the end of the day.

Personally I think he'll be off, the writing is on the wall.

Not strictly true

Agents will and do go to other clubs sounding them out over potential deals then approach the player with said deals.....players have also changed agents due to this.

Yes ultimately they do work for the player but its what the agent can get that determines whether they will deal with the player in the first place.

Lets not be naive to think agents are'nt in it for themselves fella
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts