Author Topic: Matheus Pereira (on loan from Sporting Lisbon)  (Read 79037 times)

Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie

Re: Matheus Pereira (on loan from Sporting Lisbon)
« Reply #800 on: July 23, 2020, 12:25:44 AM »
He'll be superb, with benefit of VAR, Premier League referees etc.

It will swing both ways. While on the whole he'll benefit from VAR and PL referees there are some antics from him that will get picked up that haven't in EFL.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #801 on: July 23, 2020, 12:27:26 AM »
It will swing both ways. While on the whole he'll benefit from VAR and PL referees there are some antics from him that will get picked up that haven't in EFL.
Hasn't happened to Grealish who is far worse than MP for supposedly diving.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #802 on: July 23, 2020, 12:33:39 AM »
Hasn't happened to Grealish who is far worse than MP for supposedly diving.

I think diving is only part of it for Pereira (which is less than Grealish), he reacts to situations (which Grealish doesn't) and does things which could get caught on VAR. Admittedly with more protection this will happen less, but it will still happen. Like I said, a positive on the whole to have VAR and prem refs but not a 100% positive.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #803 on: July 23, 2020, 02:13:12 AM »
Had an off night tonight however he is carried us all season and should be player of season hands down. Want to see the announcement of his signing and the shot of him and the shirt
O Albion we love you

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #804 on: August 02, 2020, 05:53:35 PM »
Has he officially signed now?

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #805 on: August 02, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »
Has he officially signed now?

It's all done, but he's on holiday.

I've no doubt at all once he's back they'll do a photo-shoot and all that. It was essentially done when he played his first 45mins after lockdown
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #806 on: August 02, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
That's good for him. He can showcase himself in the Premiership. Boost his value and give himself that much self esteem. Well done that man. Long may he remain in the Premiership with us.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #807 on: August 02, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Reading that excellent report in the Athletic (thanks for sharing Gazberg) it is hard to believe we have permanently signed such an outstandingly talented player for a little over £8m. A player mentioned in the same breath as Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.

A brilliant coup by our recruiting team and well done them.

The loan jigsaw would be perfectly complete if somehow we managed to secure the ongoing services of Grady Diangana along with Krovinovic. (not sure how we stand with the latter)

If we can unearth a couple of similar hidden gems in the striking department, how good would that be.

Perhaps I shouldn’t say this but, I was impressed with Matheus’  “I belong to Jesus’ shirt displayed when celebrating - it confirms he is not only interested in himself and credit to him for that.

Stay safe, Stay well

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #808 on: August 02, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »
Bloody hell, i had no idea. Sorry. Take it down if you want mods.

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #809 on: August 02, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »
40kw PW not bad for us at all, one good season and he will easily double that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #810 on: August 02, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »
Reading that excellent report in the Athletic (thanks for sharing Gazberg) it is hard to believe we have permanently signed such an outstandingly talented player for a little over £8m. A player mentioned in the same breath as Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.

A brilliant coup by our recruiting team and well done them.

The loan jigsaw would be perfectly complete if somehow we managed to secure the ongoing services of Grady Diangana along with Krovinovic. (not sure how we stand with the latter)

If we can unearth a couple of similar hidden gems in the striking department, how good would that be.

Perhaps I shouldn’t say this but, I was impressed with Matheus’  “I belong to Jesus’ shirt displayed when celebrating - it confirms he is not only interested in himself and credit to him for that.

Having read said piece that is a bit of a stretch  ;D

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #811 on: August 02, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »
Within the realms of being realistic i hope his contract with us is 4 (+1) years. He has a belter of a season with us and is snapped up by a Spurs or similar. We get £40m and everyone's a winner.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #812 on: August 02, 2020, 10:59:34 PM »
Within the realms of being realistic i hope his contract with us is 4 (+1) years. He has a belter of a season with us and is snapped up by a Spurs or similar. We get £40m and everyone's a winner.

Everyone’s a winner?

We wouldn’t have his potentially improving talents and to replace Pereira with a similarly outstanding talent would take a big chunk of any received transfer fee at £40m which, if he cuts it in the Premiership in the same way he has the Championship, he would be worth a lot more. Just look at what the big boys are paying for top players these days.

Stay safe, Stay well

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #813 on: August 03, 2020, 12:28:47 AM »

Double it, far better than Grealish.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #814 on: August 03, 2020, 02:41:50 AM »
He is worth 40 now. A good year in the premier league and his worth will soar. No matter what we get for him though we won't be able to replace him. Gems like this don't come round everyday.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #815 on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:38 AM »
Double it, far better than Grealish.
He is indeed.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #816 on: August 03, 2020, 08:17:36 AM »
Hey knave, why sell him we must build the team around him?
Ridiculous comment

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #817 on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:59 AM »

Quite right Liver !
Stay safe, Stay well

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #818 on: August 03, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Ridiculous comment
I hope we can build a team around him, we need players who are quick enough in thought to support and complement him, which kind out rules out our current gruesome front three, I'd say.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »
If we do accumulate a group with that degree of talent, we will be raped (again) by a Manchester or London club.
The only hope is that a group of lads and their agents put developing and winning together before 10's of £millions.  ie It wouldn't happen

Just enjoy him while we can and thank the person who advocated bringing him in (SB?),
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #820 on: August 03, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
If we do accumulate a group with that degree of talent, we will be raped (again) by a Manchester or London club.
The only hope is that a group of lads and their agents put developing and winning together before 10's of £millions.  ie It wouldn't happen

Just enjoy him while we can and thank the person who advocated bringing him in (SB?),

You can't survive in the premiership without good players. Lots of mid-table clubs have a collection of excellent players, only a very select few are wanted by City / United / Chelsea etc.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #821 on: August 03, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
You can't survive in the premiership without good players. Lots of mid-table clubs have a collection of excellent players, only a very select few are wanted by City / United / Chelsea etc.

I agree and while we are run on a self sustaining basis, that will require us to sell the jewels we unearth IMO.
We could string a few seasons together in the prem, but inevitably we will drop at some point. If clubs like the Vile / West Ham / Fulham are consistently struggling to maintain their status we will struggle more IMO.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #822 on: August 03, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »
Ridiculous comment

I can remember several England teams being built around one man (e.g. Gascoigne, Beckham) and a injury or sending off wrecking their World Cup finals.  It's a team game, that's how Brentford have achieved so much on such moderate means.
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #823 on: August 03, 2020, 01:53:30 PM »
I can remember several England teams being built around one man (e.g. Gascoigne, Beckham) and a injury or sending off wrecking their World Cup finals.  It's a team game, that's how Brentford have achieved so much on such moderate means.

Correct. Sheffield United, Wolves, Leeds, Man City, Liverpool are all good examples. There's no one player in any of those teams that the side is built around. Players can be missing from those sides and you would barely notice looking at their results.

Villa are the perfect example of building around a player - Grealish. You only have to look at their form when he doesnt play. In the Championship a couple of seasons ago they couldn't win a game when he was injured. Once he came back they won ten in a row.

It's very dangerous to build a team around a player and its certainly not the way to going about building a solid team.

boinging_along

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #824 on: August 03, 2020, 02:27:18 PM »
I'm sure most clubs would like to spread the risk - but when you've got a talented player, it's even more difficult to bring in players of the same calibre so you end up, by default, building your team around someone like that.