Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487444 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Matheus Pereira (on loan from Sporting Lisbon)
« Reply #750 on: July 05, 2020, 10:08:25 PM »
Deserves a special mention for today's performance. He wasn't on the scoresheet, but how many goals does he set up?  Its a special skill to see passes that set up goal scoring chances, and unlike some, he weights his passes correctly.  He does need players to be on the same wavelength, and some are clearly more so than others.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #751 on: July 05, 2020, 11:18:00 PM »
One will be very lucky to see playing in our colour's for the whole of next season he's destined to play European football so enjoy why we can.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #752 on: July 06, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
One will be very lucky to see playing in our colour's for the whole of next season he's destined to play European football so enjoy why we can.

I don't get this mentality. We have a deal in place to sign him permanently presumably under a long-term contract. So would we be "very lucky" to have him playing for us for the whole of next season? As good is he is the premier league is full of good players, many of whom play for teams outside the big 4/5.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #753 on: July 06, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
The ball through for Grosicki was sublime
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #754 on: July 06, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
« Reply #762 on: Today at 11:13:16 AM »

Quite agree TuAmigos...  possibly the best through ball he has played since joining us.
Absolutely fabulous vision and execution. No wonder he's nicknamed 'The Magician' !

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #755 on: July 06, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »
« Reply #762 on: Today at 11:13:16 AM »

Quite agree TuAmigos...  possibly the best through ball he has played since joining us.
Absolutely fabulous vision and execution. No wonder he's nicknamed 'The Magician' !

It was an excellent pass BUT it needed the intelligence of Grosicki to make that run and to time it perfectly so he onside. Pereira clearly benefits from having other quality players to link the play with like Grosicki and Krov.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #756 on: July 06, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
The Magician is that rarity at Albion in the last few decades, who when he gets the ball, I am waiting for something special to happen, and he often delivers.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #757 on: July 09, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Unlucky not to score but was imperious last night. He was everywhere and wasn't just attacking threat either, his pressing was superb

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #758 on: July 09, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
Unlucky not to score but was imperious last night. He was everywhere and wasn't just attacking threat either, his pressing was superb

Just gets better and better......

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #759 on: July 09, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »
What is so fantastic is that he drags good players up with him to an even higher level - Grosicki, Sawyers, Krovinovic etc, you can see how they love playing with him and want to get in on the act

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #760 on: July 09, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
There have been loads of players that have been stars at Championship level that have either not cut it in the Prem or not been as effective as people expected and I have been wondering whether Pereira's temper, willingness to go down and lack of pace (he isn't slow but isn't electric) would mean he is one of those players. However he has convinced me that he'll not only cut it, but be very effective. He is a clever player, his movement is good and his end product is there too.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #761 on: July 09, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »
There have been loads of players that have been stars at Championship level that have either not cut it in the Prem or not been as effective as people expected and I have been wondering whether Pereira's temper, willingness to go down and lack of pace (he isn't slow but isn't electric) would mean he is one of those players. However he has convinced me that he'll not only cut it, but be very effective. He is a clever player, his movement is good and his end product is there too.

He's a better player than Grealish who pre-Covid was said to be worth £80 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Tony

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #762 on: July 09, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »

Our last promotion season from the Championship and Graham Dorrans spring right to mind. I do think Pereira is a better player than Dorrans and has without doubt been our Player of the Season, but there's just that little memory of Dorrans not quite cutting it in the PL (for justifiable reasons considering events in his private life it could be argued) in the back of my mind that's stopping me getting too carried away. Dorrans that year got 13 goal and 19 assists if I'm not wrong so I certainly don't think the comparison is unfair.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #763 on: July 09, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »
Our last promotion season from the Championship and Graham Dorrans spring right to mind. I do think Pereira is a better player than Dorrans and has without doubt been our Player of the Season, but there's just that little memory of Dorrans not quite cutting it in the PL (for justifiable reasons considering events in his private life it could be argued) in the back of my mind that's stopping me getting too carried away. Dorrans that year got 13 goal and 19 assists if I'm not wrong so I certainly don't think the comparison is unfair.

The comparison is only fair if the game was played on paper. Some of us could see from what was happening on the pitch that Dorrans wouldn't step up.

Pereira is streets ahead of him.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #764 on: July 09, 2020, 07:56:52 PM »
I reckon he’s got the potential to be a top 4 player, and easily champions league level. Pretty sure he’s the best all round player I’ve seen in my time supporting the club (since late 80s). He’s definitely a step up from Barry Cowdrill!

Enjoy him while we can.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #765 on: July 09, 2020, 08:02:38 PM »
I reckon he’s got the potential to be a top 4 player, and easily champions league level. Pretty sure he’s the best all round player I’ve seen in my time supporting the club (since late 80s). He’s definitely a step up from Barry Cowdrill!

Enjoy him while we can.

I used to work with Barry Cowdrill!😁
Baggie in Southampton

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #766 on: July 09, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
I used to work with Barry Cowdrill!😁

No! Really? Remember his running style? It was somewhere between galloping and falling over.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #767 on: July 10, 2020, 05:04:26 PM »
Have we taken him permanently yet?

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #768 on: July 10, 2020, 05:49:22 PM »
We should have done after 30 June and 30 games I believe although I could be wrong.
Vitally important that the deal is done and watertight. Don’t want bigger clubs sniffing round.
If done, the title of this posting referring to ‘on loan from Sporting Lisbon’ needs changing.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #769 on: July 10, 2020, 05:57:38 PM »
We should have done after 30 June and 30 games I believe although I could be wrong.
Vitally important that the deal is done and watertight. Don’t want bigger clubs sniffing round.
If done, the title of this posting referring to ‘on loan from Sporting Lisbon’ needs changing.
his purchase is compulsory, we can pay any time up to around Christmas and we won’t buy him until the last minute to ensure Sporting pay any amount of his wage they currently are. The loan ends this month, so he’ll be signed either late this month or (probably) early next month so we don’t pay the full wage for July.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:31:56 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #770 on: July 17, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »
Is Periera's going to ground working against us, I do feel that refs are now consciously not awarding him free kicks when they are valid, because, he is trying to con them / push boundaries too far.
I do think he needs to be told forthrightly not to go down unless pole-axed and definitely no theatrics, he is tarnishing his and the clubs reputation, Magician yes but flawed in my opinion.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #771 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »
Is Periera's going to ground working against us, I do feel that refs are now consciously not awarding him free kicks when they are valid, because, he is trying to con them / push boundaries too far.
I do think he needs to be told forthrightly not to go down unless pole-axed and definitely no theatrics, he is tarnishing his and the clubs reputation, Magician yes but flawed in my opinion.

He's been given more freekicks than anyone else in the division...

So no.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #772 on: July 17, 2020, 04:47:13 PM »
He's been given more freekicks than anyone else in the division...

So no.
But far better than the diver Grealish in the Premier League who has conned more than anyone else in that league,
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #773 on: July 17, 2020, 04:49:44 PM »
Its a side to his game he's got to cut out.  Otherwise he may have to learn the hard way with suspensions.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #774 on: July 17, 2020, 05:02:37 PM »
But far better than the diver Grealish in the Premier League who has conned more than anyone else in that league,

It’s interesting how Grealish’s behaviour is considered one way on here, and Pereiras another. I wonder why that could be? Particularly when I suspect most neutrals would think the behaviour was quite similar in many respects.