West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Pre Match Chat  (Read 2263 times)

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
Pre Match Chat
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
Luton Town v West Bromwich Albion

Saturday 17th August 2019 15.00pm

Please use this board for all your Pre Match Chat. Opposition fans are reminded to abide by the site rules.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:24:46 PM by OldburyWBA »
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
After all the hope at the start of the season, we have gone down hill.
This is a real grind out a positive result game for us, just to bring back the hope.

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
I think Slaven needs to revert to 4-3-3. It's all too tippy, tappy at the moment in front of defenders with no-one in the box. Get people further forward and at least if a cross comes in the wide man from the opposite side joins the centre forward - and if it's Zohore it's another sizeable target to hit. Also playing Phillips deeper like he did occasionally last season gives us a threat from midfield. At the moment we have Sawyers and Krovinovic who are nice footballers but very little threat from there. I'd go: (PS! I know Johnstone will play)

Bond

Ferguson            Ajayi                            Bartley                Gibbs

Phillips              Sawyers               Krovinovic

Edwards                              Austin                                   Zohore

Subs: Johnstone, O'Shea, Townsend, Livermore, Diangana, Brunt, Robson-Kanu.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:07:05 AM by Atomic »

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
I think Slaven needs to revert to 4-3-3. It's all too tippy, tappy at the moment in front of defenders with no-one in the box. Get people further forward and at least if a cross comes in the wide man from the opposite side joins the centre forward - and if it's Zohore it's another sizeable target to hit. Also playing Phillips deeper like he did occasionally last season gives us a threat from midfield. At the moment we have Sawyers and Krovinovic who are nice footballers but very little threat from there. I'd go: (PS! I know Johnstone will play)

Bond

Ferguson            Ajayi                            Bartley                Gibbs

Phillips              Sawyers               Krovinovic

Edwards                              Austin                                   Zohore

Subs: Johnstone, O'Shea, Townsend, Livermore, Diangana, Brunt, Robson-Kanu.

I'd be happy to give that a go, think we need to move away from the obsession with two defensive midfielders. We have, on paper at least, a wealth of attacking talent so should be playing to our strengths. I also think Zohore needs to be in a 3, the boy has power and is not scared to run at defenders, this system could see us get the best out of him.
Shame we didn't get to see Willock last night as I would like him to get himself ahead of Kanu.

Offline WBArgo

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
I think we will win this - from what I've seen Jones is still making big defensive blunders and handing his opponents goals which means for all our problems upfront we should make more chances than usual. I hope we smash them, nothing against Luton but more to do with their manager.

Offline Baggies

• WBA Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
I think we get our first "clear" goal of the season this weekend, providing Jones still can't remember how to set a defence up. He does however like to attack and he doesn't need much possession to get his teams scoring, going on last season where he would surrender the midfield if ot meant him having a playmaker in there.

Difficult team selection for Bilic and I hope he isn't blinded by options as we have so many. He could go with a Mowbray style, 3 playmakers in the middle of the park with no defensive midfielder as you can sometimes get away with that in this league, but I prefer balance so would like Livermore (preferably)  or Harper in there.

He could try Austin and Zohore up front and be a bit more direct, but unsure then how we fit the midfield in. It might mean sacrificing a winger and putting Zohore or Austin in a wide forward position.

Phillips was rested mid week with Edwards playing, so if there are any changes like that I expect it will be Edwards who drops to the bench.
Boing Boing

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
I think that Slaven partially experimented with different teams and will now start to formulate a decent team. This will be one of his tests.

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:04:55 AM »
I like Atomic's team, i'd probably swap Austin out for Harper moving Phillips to the wing and Harper into the middle 3. Austin is building fitness and maybe wiser to bring on for the final 30 minutes. Zohore may be gifted a goal from GJ's defensive set up and that may be invaluable!

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
Out of interest has anyone seen much of Luton's games this season? If so what were they like going forward and were they balanced? As in did they carry much threat in open play and look decent overall, or were they like flirty wenches with everything to show on top with nothing underneath? Just asking as if we up our tempo and they're all tits and no pants we might just give 'em a good fisting  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline TiptonThrostle

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
if we are to compete this season, we have to be winning games like this.

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
Out of interest has anyone seen much of Luton's games this season? If so what were they like going forward and were they balanced? As in did they carry much threat in open play and look decent overall, or were they like flirty wenches with everything to show on top with nothing underneath? Just asking as if we up our tempo and they're all tits and no pants we might just give 'em a good fisting  ;D .
I see nothing wrong with this scenario whatsoever Dan. In fact it's quite the preference.  ;)

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »
After all the hope at the start of the season, we have gone down hill.
This is a real grind out a positive result game for us, just to bring back the hope.

We've had three games. Three.

Granted we've gone out of the League cup and looked poor defending set pieces, but to come out with comments like this after just three games?

We've got a new manager, who wants a different style of play from a team which has had a massive turnover of players; several of whom only made their debuts in that third game.

We had 1 point from 3 games the first time we got promotion, 3 from our first 2 for our second, 3 from 3 in our third (when we finished as Champions), and matched our current 4 from 2 in our last promotion.

These things aren't done and dusted after 1 week of the season, and it's far from hopeless.

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
               Johnstone

Ferguson Ajay Bartley Gibbs

Livermore

Phillips  Sawyers  Krovinovic Edwards

Zohore

I wouldnt start with Austin. He looked like he was blowing out of his arse after half hour on Tuesday.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline superkev

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
I can only see problems if we persist with zonal marking and not marking your own man.

I dont know how zonal marking can possibly be better than picking up your own allocated player, but what do I know :-\
"

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
I can only see problems if we persist with zonal marking and not marking your own man.

I dont know how zonal marking can possibly be better than picking up your own allocated player, but what do I know :-\

I've never understood it either and I'm not convinced it has ever worked properly at higher levels.

Space has never scored a goal. Don't mark it. To me it's about as obvious as obvious gets.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 03:32:01 PM »
Absolutely, Gareth McAuley picking up a man or GM marking the penalty spot, no contest IMO
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Online NJS

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
I really hope that what a fair few have been saying on this forum is true and GJ was the principal agent of our woes last season and is hopeless at coaching a defence and we will beat them this Saturday.  Although we seem to have been a tad brittle at set pieces so far this season.
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

Offline Pie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
Would be great to score a few here and show real intent.

7 points from 3 league games with a new manager and squad overhaul would be fantastic IMO.

I would go with:

Johnstone

Ferguson   Ajayi    Bartley    Gibbs

Livermore

Sawyers Kroninovic

Phillips           Austin           Perreira

I'm aware Austin is not up for playing 90 mins but hopefully he can get us into the lead and we can then take him off after 55/60 and give Zohore a chance to play without too much pressure. Hopefully a goal or two will boost his confidence.

Luton's defence is there to be crushed and I'm sure Slaven will get us flying out the blocks.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »
.....Luton's defence is there to be crushed......

Let's 'ave iiiiiiiiittttt  8) !

Offline telford baggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
I really hope that what a fair few have been saying on this forum is true and GJ was the principal agent of our woes last season and is hopeless at coaching a defence and we will beat them this Saturday.  Although we seem to have been a tad brittle at set pieces so far this season.
It's funny how Darren Moore takes none of the blame when he was the manager that either let Jones run with it or didn't have a clue himself.. Either way one is manager in the championship and the other is in lge 1. All those thinking it will be a push over tomorrow Luton have goals in them we dont. i expect 2-1 luton

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »
It's funny how Darren Moore takes none of the blame when he was the manager that either let Jones run with it or didn't have a clue himself.. Either way one is manager in the championship and the other is in lge 1. All those thinking it will be a push over tomorrow Luton have goals in them we dont. i expect 2-1 luton

They have scored 1 more goal than us and let in 3 more.

I don't think it will be a pushover by any means but I think we'll win 2-0.

Offline baggie82

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
They have scored 1 more goal than us and let in 3 more.

I don't think it will be a pushover by any means but I think we'll win 2-0.

Very brave predicting a clean sheet for us given our circus act defending. Be interesting to see the team news.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
Very brave predicting a clean sheet for us given our circus act defending. Be interesting to see the team news.

I think (hope!) that they will have been working on defending set pieces this week during training. I would expect it to be Ferguson, Ajayi, Bartley and Gibbs at the back.

Offline alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 01:27:50 PM »
My main memories of Luton. Going into the away end above the neighbours' back gardens with panoramic views into kitchen windows. (Don't know how Luton planning authority dealt with any residents complaints about loss of privacy).
And... I've visited Luton 3 times in my life. And had my car broken into on 2 of those visits.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
Another ground to tick off an ever shrinking list. With the rising cost of away days I might start doing a few random Non League fixtures. If Sutton Coldfield Town have still got their little band playing at games they can pretty much forget it though  ;D .