West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 2792 times)

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
After Match Debate
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
West Bromwich Albion v Millwall

Carabao Cup 1

Tuesday 13th August 2019 20.00pm

Please use this board for all your After Match Debate. Away fans are reminded to abide by the site rules.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie
Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »
Worrying. Very worrying.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
Oh well. Lessons being learned early.

This time last season we had 1 point in the league and won in the cup. This year 4 points and lost in the cup.

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:57:06 PM »
Didn't really want to go on.
It's only the league cup.
Well, I think that was the attitude displayed unfortunately.

Offline Baggies

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »
Poor performance. We pass the ball well but that is it. 3 games, 4 goals - 3 were keeper error and 1 was an own goal.

Poor subs by Bilic, overloaded midfield with passing midfielders but no cutting edge.

Really lacking up front and worry we could be in for a frustrating season, being picked off on the counter and at set pieces.
Boing Boing

Offline WBArgo

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »
Worrying. Very worrying.

I didn't watch the game so I can't comment, but perhaps it's a good thing in the long-run. I know people love a good cup run but last season I thought it really harmed us in the league and I remember Brighton in particular made the players tired and it all seemed a waste of time at that point.

After playing Milwall twice in a row and losing 3-2 on aggregate, we now have a better picture of our strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully this week we will be working on more aggression with the ball as a result.

Offline royhan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
My dreams for the season have been shattered already. Not really, but the sooner we are able to field a settled side the better.

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:00:28 PM »
Once Pereira is up to spend I will be suprised if we see Burke in an Albion shirt again.

Complete waste of time having him on the pitch, has zero footballing brain.

Online johnny Cash

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
It’s a particular shame because with our supposedly good squad depth this season we could have probably done with the extra games.

Offline GREGMT

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »
So after 3 hours football at home to Millwall, a team who avoided league 1 by 1 place, we draw 1-1 and lose 1-2.  Millwall have no money and rely on picking up other teams cast offs for about £200k or frees.

I don't know about anyone else, I think the outcome is appalling and a disgrace.  There are clearly serious issues there already.  Nobody knows (with 9 incoming players) why the following have been retained; HRK, Burke, Livermore, Brunt and possibly Barry yet. 

Millwall clearly wanted it more in both games and scored simple goals.  Why didn't we pulverise them at 1-0?  Where is the leadership?  Just embarrassing.

Slaven is exonerated.  It's up to the players to deliver.  They lack aggression and personality and seem unable to be comfortable playing on the front foot.

Offline wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:39 PM »
That's really poor. We've failed to beat a bog standard hoofball team after 2 attempts. We could do with playing a few footballing teams because we look really soft and are struggling to break down the deep defence at present.

Offline telford baggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:04:53 PM »
Take Austin out of this squad and we have no goals in us at all... Only positive tonight is that captain of the reserves won't be seen much now just a liability

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 10:08:09 PM »
Worrying has to be the word. Lots of nice passing but very little threat at one end and a shambles at the other. They had 6 corners and could have scored from pretty much all of them. You just can't defend set pieces like the last two games and keep clean sheets, question is, do we have the firepower t outscore the opposition? I certainly hope so and thank God for Austin's goal, a few of the others need to start chipping in now though.
Only a Mickey mouse  cup game and not a priority so, win at Luton and all will be forgiven, disappointing though.

Offline alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 10:08:50 PM »
Didn't watch the game, but sounds like an early wake up call. If we've got problems in the scoring department, Burke sounds like the last person who is going to solve them. Also, what's going on in defence with all these goals conceded from set pieces?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:11:19 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline smethwickw

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 10:13:36 PM »
I think we've had a pretty decent window overall but the lack of decent striking options is worrying. We've had all summer to sort this out.

Offline baggies_24

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
I’m not going to jump off a cliff just yet I think a front line of Austin, Phillips & Edwards / Pereira has that quality in the final 3rd that we are really missing at the moment. My big worry is the depth behind those 3 though as we know Phillips will miss 30% of the season and we’l do well to keep Austin fit all year as well.

Thought it was a strange decision to not have Ken on the bench tonight Burke isn’t a striker in a million years (not much of a winger either). Move on but we need the new signings to bed in quickly, we really should be looking to pick up 3 points Saturday.

Offline CL3MO

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 10:15:25 PM »
Two performances against a stubborn Millwall team - both at home too - and we have looked really, really poor.

It is clear Burke cannot play upfront on his own, especially when playing against a team that sits in deep, when he is required to hold up the ball.

Suddenly, after dominating corners against Forest, we now can't defend one to save our lives. It's not like we're lacking the height in the team either.

Expecting much, much better against Luton on Saturday.

Offline Ross

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:06 PM »
Needs to stop zonal in corners. O Shea doesn’t look very tall for a cb  :-X

Hope Austin wasn’t injured when he went off  :o

Offline costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:04 PM »
I think we've had a pretty decent window overall but the lack of decent striking options is worrying. We've had all summer to sort this out.
I’ve a bad feeling Gayle turning us down will haunt us. Only Charlie can save us.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
Looks like we will struggle for goals this season not a surprise when you take out 54 goals from last year. Austins not match fit so sensible to bring up to speed gradually but scratching head that either HRK or 8mill bloke wasn't on bench.

Offline wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
Anyone know the attendance tonight?
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »
Ermmm. Burke didn't turn up.

Offline wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »
Ermmm. Burke didn't turn up.
Lol...very good
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »
Looks like we will struggle for goals this season not a surprise when you take out 54 goals from last year. Austins not match fit so sensible to bring up to speed gradually but scratching head that either HRK or 8mill bloke wasn't on bench.
we also need to tighten up at the back so we are less reliant on goals scored. we've kept 1 clean sheet in our last 10 competitive matches.

Offline TheBrom

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:19 PM »
I worry about the Luton game

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
Poor performance, strange subs. I don't think any of those that started with the obvious exceptions of Edwards, Austin and Ajayi did anything to force themselves into the starting XI, was so one paced much like most of last season.

We move on and get the league form right.

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »
We're not gelling yet. Plenty of pretty passing and two touch football around the area but creating next to nothing and we have no-one that can cross a ball or shoot effectively from range. It's a little bit concerning but not majorly at this stage it's all going to take a little bit of time before everyone gets used to each other.

Defending from set pieces is as bad as I've ever seen it, that has to be a priority to put right.

Even I've given up on Oliver Burke after tonight. I keep waiting to see something but there's nothing there either up front or out wide.

Offline Baggies

• WBA Manager
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
Ranked 13th for shots on target, just in the bottom half of the league. This is despite dominating possession. For those that are interested, or "expected goals" stats are also very poor so far.

Sums up how we have started life under Bilic.
Boing Boing

Offline alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:33 PM »
Ranked 13th for shots on target, just in the bottom half of the league. This is despite dominating possession. For those that are interested, or "expected goals" stats are also very poor so far.

Sums up how we have started life under Bilic.
Sums up why some of us were so desparate to hold onto Gayle.  Still, I hope Austin can improve those stats a bit, but as Billic has said, it also needs the midfielders etc. to chip in with some goals.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
We're not gelling yet. Plenty of pretty passing and two touch football around the area but creating next to nothing and we have no-one that can cross a ball or shoot effectively from range. It's a little bit concerning but not majorly at this stage it's all going to take a little bit of time before everyone gets used to each other.

Defending from set pieces is as bad as I've ever seen it, that has to be a priority to put right.

Even I've given up on Oliver Burke after tonight. I keep waiting to see something but there's nothing there either up front or out wide.

We have the best crosser of a ball at the club wondering around aimlessly in the centre but even then we have no-one in the middle to aim any crosses at. As for the shooting at times its criminal from professional footballers, even in the warm up its shocking

Offline wbako

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:03 PM »
Not the best game but I am far from downhearted. Diangana was lively, Austin showed moments of real quality and Edwards again impressed.

Millwall defended well and kept a good shape - fair play to them.

The real worry is our defending from set-pieces - all 3 goals conceded this week have been from set-pieces and this needs to be a focus in training. Hegazi is hugely missed.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Offline Aztech

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 11:05:03 PM »
We have the best crosser of a ball at the club wondering around aimlessly in the centre but even then we have no-one in the middle to aim any crosses at. As for the shooting at times its criminal from professional footballers, even in the warm up its shocking

I’d be very surprised to see Brunt anywhere near centre mid this season
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 11:09:23 PM »
I’d be very surprised to see Brunt anywhere near centre mid this season

He should never have been near the centre from the start, one wonder ball last season is not enough from the number of times he's played there. His best asset is his crossing, he's wasted in the middle. He has to be either wide left or back up to Gibbs at left back which is where his best football has come in recent years.

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 11:09:55 PM »
Very worrying for me , no midfield enforcer,  pussycat tippy-tappy players recruited . Not what is required for this division. Very disappointed to see Field sent out on loan and Brunt still in there. Slaven why oh why are  Brunt and Burke, on that pitch for 90 minutes? Bond a superb double save, but culpable for both goals. Going to Luton and fearing the worse. Any team "up for it" will beat this lot.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 11:22:52 PM »
We don't half have some pessimists on this board.

We haven't been able to play Slavens preferred strongest team yet for almost a whole game and when Burke is on the pitch it is like playing with 10 men unfortunately.

I think we might need to play two up top at home at times when we've got the opposition on the back foot but think our system will work perfectly fine away from home where there will be more gaps to exploit.

We beat Forest on their own patch who themselves went to Elland Road and got a hard fought point. Not many teams will do that. We've then played two games we completely dominated and took the lead in both only to give those leads away through poor set piece defending.

Remember Zohore missed from 6 yards in one of those games and Diangana missed a tap in today by failing to connect with the  ball.

Have to say some of the mistakes Bond made tonight flapping for the ball Johnstone would of been absolutely crucified for.

Thought Furlong was very good tonight and has am excellent delivery. Think he will end up first choice right back in front of Ferguson by the end of the year or with them at least sharing that    position.

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »
Sorry all
Could not care less

We have one aim this season, it is not the carabao tea pot
I’d like to add my two Penneth to what I see being stated on here and think the game time for the newbies was much more important than thevresult....besides there is probably more windows in tact than there was on Saturday?

Zohore, he didn’t cost 8m and whilst he hasn’t burst the net ...yet, we have
looked weaker in both games after he came off.
Against millwall, Bilic had to give the team that beat forest a chance, he also didn’t really have much of a bench ( he must take blame for that) because they said the new guys weren’t fully fit (they as pros must take blame for that)
It’s 1-1 not great but not the end of the world
Goals .... I keep reading that we don’t have fire power
Is there anyone on here that would actually be able to keep Austin/Diangana/Pereira/Phillips/Krovonavic/Edwards/Willock quiet?
That’s without Burke / Zohore and Hrk because people will just deride.....but all three can play football
We have cover everywhere, we have (or will have) a frightening amount of options from the bench, our squad is almost the Man City of the champ 😊
Bartley in a 2 works well and seems calm and confident this year, semi has settled, Ferguson is a great find, sawyers looks like he belongs etc etc...and hegazi to come back
If we are going to fail it will be between the sticks , I am NOT comparing to foster, I am NOT being unfair or making a scapegoat...quite simply our squad and fans deserve better ....please sign Vorm

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »
Take Austin out of this squad and we have no goals in us at all... Only positive tonight is that captain of the reserves won't be seen much now just a liability
Kyle Edwards, harper, Phillips, all have goals in them, to name but a few.
Albion till i die, blue and white, the wolves are most definitely S***e!

Offline Nathan

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
Millwall had us sussed out by half time on Saturday and stuck to the same sort of game plan in the 135 minutes of football against us since. Fair play to them, they are extremely well organised but we should have enough brains and technical ability out there on the pitch to break down sides like that over that length of time. There will be plenty of sides in this division who will stick up a brick wall formation 30 yards from their goal and let us f**k about with it all afternoon and evening. We desperately need to be more incisive and at times much more direct. Furlong looked better at Right Back tonight than Ferguson did Saturday but he had the misfortune to have the clueless Burke up ahead of him every time he looked for an outlet. Burke just does not have a clue in any aspect of the game, he looks totally lost/disinterested or possibly both. I've never known a footballer so totally unaware of how to make runs, find space and look for the ball. Edwards seems more and more like a 45 minute man and that's your lot from him. I don't know whether that's down to fitness or if it's just the case of the opposition sussing him and shutting him out of games. Diangana looked lively for the first half hour before disappearing from the game, likewise Austin. Again, I hope that is just down to fitness. I wouldn't mind seeing us in a 4-4-2 from what I've seen in the first 3 games, that could help us in forcing the issue to be a bit more direct and getting the ball forward and out to the wide men earlier and more decisively. Both Austin and Zohore I think will be seen to better effect with an out and out strike partner alongside them.

On a side note, at least one Baggie had a good night....Abdulai Bell-Baggie scored for Weymouth away at Slough!

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
Being unable to beat a limited but well organised Millwall team at home is not a good look. Yet I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. We need more penetration but I think that will come as the team gels and the 3 players behind the striker start to move and interchange better.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »
Was in bed early as had an early start today but shocked at the score.

I’m not going to read to much into it right now though as this team and the new players are yet to gel fully.

New manager. New signings it takes time for that to come together and a few more games and training sessions will see this team come to life. Of that I’m sure.

Let’s not get in the doldrums already

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 06:51:31 AM »
We look pretty at times but fail to do the basics with any conviction.
We need players with conviction in the box to convert the crosses into goals.
Playing Burke up front isn't the answer.
I hope we're looking for another striker to come in in January and pay what we have to if we have any ambition.
Until then we need to maintain a top six place
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »
Millwall defended well, good shape, stubborn - some of the comments about them, and we will get a lot of that this season, the division is full of well paid decent professionals which is as it should be, and we need to be patient and get momentum going, if we really have the quality we should be able to win enough games.

Offline GREGMT

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »
What annoys me is the hardest thing to do against a resolute but limited team is to get the opening goal.

Everyone is missing the point in that the Mentality is missing. You have got to be motivated to put teams away like Man City do.  Why oh why do we sit back at 1-0 when they are there for the taking.  This is about ruthlessness andwabting to win well.  Until this changes there will be problems.

Offline Throstletown

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »
Millwall did a job on us and though we were pretty at times last night the 50/50 balls in the centre of the pitch they won. There set plays the delivery was better than ours and there players knew what they were doing whilst our players watched. Like I say pretty but no bite and no real control of the ball or a playmaker till Sawyers came on made his space and spraying the ball. Unfortunately at that point we did not have a CF on the pitch onwards to Luton

Offline NJS

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
I worry about the Luton game

I wrote elsewhere that the Millwall return match would demonstrate who out of Bilic and Harris reacted best to Saturday's draw.

Here comes another challenge to those on this site who blamed the ills and failings of Albion on Graeme Jones.
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:35 AM »
Good grief! Shall we sack Bilic already? Pulis is still available, it seems many of you might be more comfortable with him.

We've had a large turnover of players, a new manager, playing a new system, and they're all getting used to one another. There were lots of passes last night that were just too much or just too short, because they still aren't used to the way each other move. There were players making their debuts after less than a week at the club!

There were two things from last night that need to go; the zonal marking, and Oliver Burke. Aside from that, it's just a matter of time. We need to gel, and as long as we can keep in touch with the pack for 10-12 games, we can grow into the season.

No need to panic after 1 defeat.

Offline we8seals

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
Some bloody great managers on here I’m amazed some are not managing Barcelona,PSG and Manchester United.
New manager and nine new players - I’m not sure what you expect but totally unrealistic for everything to click into place after 3 games - we are in one of the most difficult leagues in world football not playing Football manager on the PC.

Offline Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
Didn't go last night and have seen none of the highlights, but the two results against Milwall are quite concerning. We need to find our cutting edge and quickly.

It is still very early days though chaps, calm down.

Offline Wollastonbaggie

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
I'm not concerned-for the first match there were a number of players who will become regulars but were not played because they were so new and for the second match there were 2 players playing who will never get near the strongest 1st team-Burke and Brunt. Brunt is too slow in thought and deed now and even his set piece delivery skills seem to have deserted him. I suspect SB gave Burke the full 90 mins to give him a chance but he didn't take it. In the first half he was a passenger and in the second half he saw more of the ball but did nothing productive with it. I was impressed with the new signings and I'm sure they will soon gel.

Offline BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
Despite the small crowd the Smethwick was pretty full last night and they decided to only staff one of the two 'bars' down below, master stroke by the powers that be
Lots of 'strangers' around, sussing the Smeth out I guess, but also choosing not to sit in their allocated seats
I'm also getting more than bit inebriated off about the large numbers of numpties choosing to stand in the central isle towards the back of the Smeth. A definite safety hazard as people legitimately there with seats at the back try to move up and down the aisle, stewards studiously ignoring it of course 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Offline Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Disappointing to go out the cup, i always like a cup run and for some of these players they may not see much competitive game time until the FA cup in January.

Its still early days, and from the two home games we are very much a work in progress, i am sure Slav will be learning as he goes.

We are going to play plenty of teams who play like Millwall, especially at home, they are hard working, organised and who can nick a goal, they dont have the resources we do so they make the best of what they have got and do it very well.

At home we need to have a different approach, over two games we have been very predictable and other than the goals barely created a chance, that would be a concern, if your creating chances to miss then your half way there but as it stands we arent.

We play with wingers which is fine, we work the ball to them, but the problem is they are aiming for one man in the box (Zohore or Austin) we dont flood the box with players, so the ball in from the winger has has to be perfect because they are aiming for one man.

Away from home it works well because your often on the counter and attacking at speed, however from the last two home games and with Millwalls approach, by the time the ball gets to the winger they are all setup and just waiting to clear any crosses that come in.

I would look at playing a second striker and try and blitz teams, we have better attacking players than most teams in this league, lets exploit that. I do think we needed a Gayle type striker in the window, bit different to what we have, Austin is a goalscorer, he has that knack of been there, Zohore i think is going to be a target man and create for others, what we needed was the quick mobile striker, who gets defenders turning, whose movement creates spaces, especially when teams are camped in.

I dont know whether Burke could play that role, i have my doubts, and i dont know anything about Willock to whether he could but i imagine Slav will of picked up on the failings and rectifying them as we speak, its early days, its a lot of new players and i imagine he will know we need to play different at home.

Offline elkiellis

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 11:53:50 AM »
Last night,defending from dead ball is terrible,thats what cost us I don't think Slaven was bothered about this cup otherwise why leave Burke on for 90 mins he offers nothing his tactical awareness of the game is so poor,i and 10,000 others would have had him off at halftime even Kanu on the bench would have been better option.
All the new guys looked decent enough,but you can tip tap and have 90% possession and still lose off 2 set pieces,same as the Saturday game they played 10 behind the ball and played for set pieces.

Offline palfsattic

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Pointless.

I haven't been to a cup game for many years and I won't until they take them seriously. I guess those days are long gone though.

:(

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
Good grief! Shall we sack Bilic already? Pulis is still available, it seems many of you might be more comfortable with him.

We've had a large turnover of players, a new manager, playing a new system, and they're all getting used to one another. There were lots of passes last night that were just too much or just too short, because they still aren't used to the way each other move. There were players making their debuts after less than a week at the club!

There were two things from last night that need to go; the zonal marking, and Oliver Burke. Aside from that, it's just a matter of time. We need to gel, and as long as we can keep in touch with the pack for 10-12 games, we can grow into the season.

No need to panic after 1 defeat.

I 100% agree with this post

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Thought we played well over all apart from in the final 3rd where it counts. Our defending from set pieces was also poor.

Dara O'Shea looked assured and was winning most of his challenges, looks a good back up option. Thought Furlong looked okay and poor in equal measure, be nice if he could learn to cross  rather than blasting it across the box, something to be worked on. Of the two I'd be playing Ferguson.
Townsend and Ajayi the pick of the defenders last night. Townsend seems to be learning from Gibbs as he attacked well.
Not his biggest fan but I thought Brunt had a decent game certainly in the 1st half, some good balls and kept us ticking over. Harper was anonymous first half. That was the sort of game I would have expected him to take by the scruff of the neck and be up and down in the middle but he wasn't , he was as much of a passenger as Burke. Sawyers did more in his cameo than Harper did in his 90+ mins.

The new players looked good and once they have bedded in we will have some really exciting attacking options from the bench.

Surprised that Zohore or even Robson Kanu weren't on the bench as we needed a proper striker once Austin has gone off.

Disappointing to lose but the signs of a decent side are there once the new players are up to speed.

Online LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
I'm not going to get too concerned yet as we need to be patient and allow the players time to gel.

Having said that, despite our very pretty possession, it is disappointing that we did not trouble the Milwall goalkeeper in either of our two games against them. They are a relatively poor outlet who defend extremely well.

I thought we had an excellent opening half an hour - Austin, Diangana and Kyle Edwards showed good signs of forming a good and capable partnership.

I thought we looked a bit knackered in the second half and the ball kept coming back onto us. Burke as a forward is laughable, he has no presence and next to no ability.

Disappointed to lose but not remotely arsed about the cup competition.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »
Apologies in advance as I haven't read the whole thread but never mind lads (and passing lasses) we're still on for the double. Need to up the zip and tempo when moving forward in open play, switch on when defending set pieces and snap into tackles a bit quicker.

On a positive note I thought both full backs acquitted themselves quite well over the course of the game and O'Shea's play on the ground is quality. He's a good football player. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out for him at centre half I think he could go on to be a decent defensive midfielder.

Onto Luton away.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Just watched the goals back on Quest.

Anyone got any idea what Ajayi's goal was disallowed for? I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »
Just watched the goals back on Quest.

Anyone got any idea what Ajayi's goal was disallowed for? I couldn't see anything wrong with it.
I believe.... Zohore was in an off side position when he passed the ball.

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »

That was the Krovinovic goal in the league game. I'm talking about Ajayi's header from Brunt's corner in the cup game.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »

Wrong game that was Saturday, Zohore didn't even play the other night.

As for the Cup game I was told O'Shea held somebody as the ball came across.

Didn't see it though and the goal looked fine from where I was sat in the Halfords.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »
Didn't the ball go out of play from the corner?

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

It must be that. I didn't see any contact between players at all.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »

someone told me that too outside after the game. Poor from Brunt if true.

Offline baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
Disappointed the fact that both their goals came from set pieces, and that we again did not create any real chances from pretty decent possession,also after all of the kerfuffle from Harper about signing a new contract the lad needs to get his act together because to be quite honest he is going backwards and his game time will be severely reduced unless he sorts himself out, on the plus side the new guys  perreira, and the west ham guy both looked pretty comfortable on the ball Austin did what Austin does, but we need to get more bodies in and around the box if we are going to get results especially at home, firing balls into the box is no good unless you have more than one body to get on the end of it.the only question  I have really what is the point of oliver burke we paid a lot of money for him as a youngster and he has produced absolutely nothing.

Offline wbako

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2019, 12:46:09 PM »

I thought this at the time, but then the goalkeeper took the resulting freekick from near the penalty spot so must've been given for a foul? I didn't see one at the time and nothing on the replay either.

The referee should have clarified why he gave the foul as it was a crucial moment in the game, unless I missed it and he did?
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »
Good job it weren't a league game I'd be really miffed.

As it was the Carabao Cup it's meh!

The more I watch it the more I struggle to see anything wrong with that "goal". The ball definitely doesn't looked to have gone out of play and if there was a foul I can't find it from the TV pics, maybe a slight pull as the ball is kicked (O'Shea) is my best guess. Looks bloody harsh regardless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU38SojbNQ0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:57:38 PM by Atomic »

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
Yes mate, The skipper could not keep the ball on the pitch, with his wand.

Online LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2019, 01:24:19 PM »
To be honest, it took me about ten minutes to notice the goal was disallowed.

I was sat there thinking we was winning before the Mrs told me the scoreboard hadn't changed.

Had to look on Twitter to confirm.

Apparently there was a foul in the build up - although there was nobody within 5 yards of Ajayi !!

Made the stadium announcer look a right tit as he also announced that Ajayi had scored

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »

I was sat there thinking we was winning before the Mrs told me the scoreboard hadn't changed.

Apparently there was a foul in the build up - although there was nobody within 5 yards of Ajayi !!

Made the stadium announcer look a right tit as he also announced that Ajayi had scored

In fairness the scoreboard read 2-1 for a short while before changing back. Talking of the scoreboard Ferguson's name was spelt incorrectly when they flashed the subs up. Either that or he's changed his name to Furguson  :-X .

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »

Harsh.

No-one saw anything wrong with goal so perfectly logical to announce it.

He should've announced "goal disallowed due to baffling decision by referee ....... answers on a postcard". I'd rate him for that.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:59:23 PM by OldburyWBA »

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
There were comments on Twitter just after saying the ball had gone out of play, Matt Wilson in the E&S says it was down to Ajayi creating space for the goal illegally but i've just watched it 5 times and I still can't see anything wrong so will go down as one of lifes great mysterys  ???

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2019, 05:14:47 PM »
Where is VAR when you want it?

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2019, 06:20:46 PM »
Where is VAR when you want it?
The referee signalled with a curved gesture  that the ball had gone out of play.