Author Topic: Louie Barry  (Read 41461 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Louie Barry
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »
Louie Barry is a young kid, as others have said, who wouldn't be tempted by the bright lights, prestige and the money on offer from Europe's elite clubs. On the other hand though, just think how much he could demand if he was to sign a three year contract at the Albion, really knuckle down and break though and then progress in the first team and get even more national and worldwide attention. In that scenario, the money on offer to him in three years time would make any offer on the table to him now from the likes of PSG and Barcelona seem like pennies. I know kids (young players) only tend to see what's immediately infront of them but if they were to only sit down and think and look at a slightly longer term plan (3 years is nothing at that age) they would be much better off in the long term.

Too much risk for him. The interest is there now. A cruciate injury or just a poor run of form can curtail his career before it starts. At 15/16 there is still every chance he's just an early blossomer at his age group and in reality nothing special when everyone else catches up. I love the Albion but I'd be in Spain now if I was him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
My attitude is different.

As Jacko says, Albion would have been quick enough to get rid of me.

If someone offered me the opportunity of playing for Albion or joining another club where me and my family run the risk of being more financially secure then see you later.

I'll get another season ticket at the end of my career.

So where do we go from there as a club? Do we just scrap the Academy and hope we are lucky cutting some deals around the lower divisions or Prem players on their final payday? If so, I can see the likes of Derby, Forest or even Blues overtaking us.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »

Too much risk for him. The interest is there now. A cruciate injury or just a poor run of form can curtail his career before it starts. At 15/16 there is still every chance he's just an early blossomer at his age group and in reality nothing special when everyone else catches up. I love the Albion but I'd be in Spain now if I was him.

I can see the potential injury risk issue and acknowledge that's bound to be a factor in the back (or forefront) of his mind. It would just be refreshing for a young player to be able look beyond the end of their nose though and just for a moment consider that if they ARE that good, then maybe, just maybe, it would be better for them to stay put and knuckle down for a couple of years at your club and increase your worth and status that way.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »
So where do we go from there as a club? Do we just scrap the Academy and hope we are lucky cutting some deals around the lower divisions or Prem players on their final payday? If so, I can see the likes of Derby, Forest or even Blues overtaking us.

Depends on how you position the ethos of your club.

If you have a clear pathway for academy development - and are prepared for a potential down turn in results then keep it.

If you want success at all costs and the pathway is incredibly small then get rid of the academy.

Lets face it - these aren't the days of previous academy years where Albion fans would come through the academy and stay there. The money in football is enough to entice anyone and I would not blame anyone who would leave to financially secure their families future.s
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
I don't understand young kids who come through the academy wanting to go anywhere else if they grow up as an Albion fan.

I know Barcelona and Juventus are special attractions but if you're an Albion fan as a kid surely you desperately want to play for the Albion if you can? I would've turned down any and every club in the world to play for the Baggies.

Perhaps it's just me.  ::)

Just you I'm afraid. Kids get better when they train with better players and have better coachs. Even if they don't make it into the first team of Juv or Barc others will take a look because they came from a top academy.

They can probably offer more money then we are prepared to as well as a youth contract, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

The club should put back into the local area with the Academy as a good neighbour but expecting those good enough to attract big teams to turn them down is a bit much. The days of staying with the same employer out of loyalty went when employees become nothing more than a hr number.

Look at how it turned out for Berahino when he stayed. I would be worried if our youth team were leaving for other championship or bottom/mid table premier league teams.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:46:41 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
I don't understand young kids who come through the academy wanting to go anywhere else if they grow up as an Albion fan.

I know Barcelona and Juventus are special attractions but if you're an Albion fan as a kid surely you desperately want to play for the Albion if you can?
I would've turned down any and every club in the world to play for the Baggies.

Perhaps it's just me.  ::)

I'm unreliably informed that young Mr Barry's actually a Viler at heart.

Our academy players support a number of teams, by no means are they all Baggies.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »
I'm unreliably informed that young Mr Barry's actually a Viler at heart.

Our academy players support a number of teams, by no means are they all Baggies.

I didn't mean Barry in particular, was just talking in general.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »
Depends on how you position the ethos of your club.

If you have a clear pathway for academy development - and are prepared for a potential down turn in results then keep it.

If you want success at all costs and the pathway is incredibly small then get rid of the academy.

Lets face it - these aren't the days of previous academy years where Albion fans would come through the academy and stay there. The money in football is enough to entice anyone and I would not blame anyone who would leave to financially secure their families future.s

I hope we would go for retaining the Academy, but shift more resources into investing in it with the best coaching staff we can find. That way the kids will still think they are getting a decent start. Yes, it also depends on chances being given for progression into the first team, and I trust Billic is open to that.  I know it is another league, but I always give the example of what Ajax have done. They put an enormous amount of resources into their youth and juniors. Without that they would be an Anderlecht or an FC Copenhagen knocked out in the preliminary rounds of the Europa League.
It kind of makes you proud that the quality of our academy has alerted the likes of Barca and Juventus, as indeed our record in providing more England U18's than Man U or L'pool.
However, I agree it has to be more than just a feeder system for top clubs.
You'd  hope that if it has a good enough reputation in this country, it would attract kids who otherwise might have gone to Wolves, Villa or Blues.   

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
Louie Barry is a young kid, as others have said, who wouldn't be tempted by the bright lights, prestige and the money on offer from Europe's elite clubs. On the other hand though, just think how much he could demand if he was to sign a three year contract at the Albion, really knuckle down and break though and then progress in the first team and get even more national and worldwide attention. In that scenario, the money on offer to him in three years time would make any offer on the table to him now from the likes of PSG and Barcelona seem like pennies. I know kids (young players) only tend to see what's immediately infront of them but if they were to only sit down and think and look at a slightly longer term plan (3 years is nothing at that age) they would be much better off in the long term.

The kid won’t be signing a lifetime contract. If he breaks through at Barca by knuckling down and breaking in to their first team he will  still be able to demand fortunes. If he doesn’t break through and leaves I imagine he would still get a decent contract by virtue of being a Barca product.

It was bad enough that clubs in this country could pouch kids with minimal compensation, but at least their was some prospect the FA / premier league would one day do something to protect clubs and their academies, or at least be compensated more appropriately.

However now more foreign clubs seem to be taking an interest there is virtually nothing that can be done to stop it as your going beyond football in to assorts of realms involving minors, contract law, EU directives etc etc. The clubs virtually powerless other than to throw huge money at kids.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
I work with a guy who's nephew plays for the age group below, his dad was saying that Barry's dad has mentioned that the PSG contract that Louie has been offered is staggering. I wont mention the weekly wage that I have just been told as I can't guarantee it's correct, but I will say if it's true, he will be gone.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
The cynic in me wonders who will give the best deal for his parents  ;D

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »
The compensation needs to be much higher, that way only the truly special kids would be picked off. As it is the big clubs can just take a punt on any smidgen of potential, Dhanda, Sinclair, Brown, because they have nothing to lose.
Personally, I don't see the point of us having an academy, within the current system, as we are just a feeder club for those at the top of the greed leagues. Yet another example of legal corruption within the game.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Its a big decision for the kid.
What does he want? All the cash he can handle now or a career.
If I was his dad I would be thinking about what a big step it would be for my 16 year old son to go to a foreign country, different language, different customs.
Because he would be so high profile there are those in the Academy that would despise him.
I'm sue that if WBA want to keep hold of him it shouldn't be out of their reach to pay him similar to what foreign Academys can.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
Its a big decision for the kid.
What does he want? All the cash he can handle now or a career.
If I was his dad I would be thinking about what a big step it would be for my 16 year old son to go to a foreign country, different language, different customs.
Because he would be so high profile there are those in the Academy that would despise him.
I'm sue that if WBA want to keep hold of him it shouldn't be out of their reach to pay him similar to what foreign Academys can.

If this weekly fee I have been told is correct, then there is no way he will be offered similar here.

It's a tough one really if you look at both ways, on one hand he is settled here and there does seem to be a path into the first team for him as he is highly regarded here.

If he moves abroad earns a nice sum for the next 3 years and it doesn't work out, he's only 19 and the likelihood is he would still get a move back to a prem/championship team anyway to start his career back up, with a healthy bank balance.

OllieTheBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »
If his social media is anything to go by, this kid looks like Berahino mk2. Comes across as a proper ... with a huge ego flashing his designer clothes and expensive belongings constantly. 

Hopefully our academy coaches can set his head straight should he choose to stay, they wont be tolerating egos like that at Barcelona, I can tell you that much. Humility and hard work is just as important than talent.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:56:51 PM by OllieTheBaggie »

GREGMT

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
This is why many people are falling out of love with football. 

Totally monopolised by money.

Everyone hated Liverpool in the 80s but at least it was a fairly level playing field.

Might as well hand Man City the 2020 title now.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
I can see the potential injury risk issue and acknowledge that's bound to be a factor in the back (or forefront) of his mind. It would just be refreshing for a young player to be able look beyond the end of their nose though and just for a moment consider that if they ARE that good, then maybe, just maybe, it would be better for them to stay put and knuckle down for a couple of years at your club and increase your worth and status that way.
If your competitors offered to make you a millionaire overnight ....would you look past the end of your nose ?

I’d have a speed boat on order before the ink dried
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Dale Jennings. That's what he should be thinking.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »
Dale Jennings. That's what he should be thinking.
Jason Sancho is probably what he is thinking
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 08:19:42 PM »
Jason Sancho is probably what he is thinking

Well if he's off to get immediate first chances at Barca who can deny him a move?

If however he's off there to develop like Jennings did at Bayern then I'd have a long hard think. It will all depend on the people around him.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
If your competitors offered to make you a millionaire overnight ....would you look past the end of your nose ?

I’d have a speed boat on order before the ink dried

Or.....he could decide to prove himself further over the next 3 years by staying at the Albion, show that he is worthy of all the accolades and in just 3 years time he could move to Barcelona with a whole fleet of speed boats on order!  :D

Or he could try his luck on Bullseye.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
If his social media is anything to go by, this kid looks like Berahino mk2. Comes across as a proper ... with a huge ego flashing his designer clothes and expensive belongings constantly. 

Hopefully our academy coaches can set his head straight should he choose to stay, they wont be tolerating egos like that at Barcelona, I can tell you that much. Humility and hard work is just as important than talent.

Pretty much any academy footballer is going to be like that, he's got the best teams in the world chasing him at 16, it'd be amazing if he didn't have an ego.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »
wouldn't say I thought it was right, but it helps have to have an ego to succeed these days
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 08:38:01 PM »
We have a fairly awful track record with bringing players through to the first team. Harper wasn't given a game until January. Sam Field has been given the odd game but not a decent run. Leko and co weren't played much even in the league cup. All the other players who have left and made a success of their career (Roofe, now worth £15m plus, Sawyers etc) weren't even given a single game and left to play football. So were not a big club (and shrinking by the week) yet we haven't brought players through to the first team either - I'm not surprised that young players on mass are wary of signing on, we have a poor track record. We talk a much better game than we deliver.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:11 PM »
We have a fairly awful track record with bringing players through to the first team. Harper wasn't given a game until January. Sam Field has been given the odd game but not a decent run. Leko and co weren't played much even in the league cup. All the other players who have left and made a success of their career (Roofe, now worth £15m plus, Sawyers etc) weren't even given a single game and left to play football. So were not a big club (and shrinking by the week) yet we haven't brought players through to the first team either - I'm not surprised that young players on mass are wary of signing on, we have a poor track record. We talk a much better game than we deliver.
the likes sawyers and roofs weren’t given game time because they weren’t anywhere near the level we were at when they were here, they went to league 1 and 2 clubs when they left now they’ve developed and we have stepped back they are at a similar level, neither would be first choice starters if they were still here now, both have developed a lot since leaving but we can’t hold on to players for years in they hope they might develop, Chris wood is another who wasnt good enough but has developed since leavingg . Leko has shown when he had played that he isn’t good enough, he couldnt get a game on loan at Bristol in the end, the only players that should have had and probably deserved more game time were Field and Harper and arguably Edwards last season
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.