West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Slaven Bilic Albion’s New Head Coach  (Read 6913 times)

sammyg, stever60, godsabaggie, paddockevans, smosher34, coseley albion, wing wizard, baggies1968 (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
Re: Slaven Bilic Albion’s New Head Coach
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:45 PM »
Mark Noble - new captain  ;D

Looking at West Ham players he has managed before, we could do a lot worse than taking Sam Byram off their hands.

I'm sure he was on our radar before his initial move there, spent last season out on loan at Forest (made 9 appearances but I haven't looked into if injuries limited that). Bilic was the one who signed him at West Ham.

Offline albion59

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »
Looks like Julian Dicks is joining him! That will put a stop to any player power!!

Online Pie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
Looks like Julian Dicks is joining him! That will put a stop to any player power!!

Looking at his coaching career it doesn't add up to much - currently manager of Isthmian League North Division club Heybridge Swifts.

Offline baggiemart

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
Looking at his coaching career it doesn't add up to much - currently manager of Isthmian League North Division club Heybridge Swifts.

I don't think he will hired for his coaching skills ............  Just to keep the players in line !!!

Offline baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »
If he gets the right tools I reckon he could do the job as well as any other of the candidates in the frame, biggest problem is whether he will get those tools, but I am sure the fans will be behind him, we are not stupid and we know when a manager is not up to the job or he is being shafted by the club hierarchy and will let them know accordingly, but certainly a few more nights such as we had against the villa 2nd leg will not go amiss, if we can replicate that a few times at least we will be doing our bit

Offline bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2019, 06:01:33 PM »
He was a coach for Bilic during his stint at West Ham , clearly did enough for Slaven to give him the call again.

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
If Julian isn't up to it at least we can all chant "Dicks out now!!"

Offline fatboy_coach

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
New article up on the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/bili-on-championship-ambitions-and-albion-traditions/

Bilić on Championship ambitions and Albion traditions

Slaven Bilić has made it clear he is relishing his first crack at a competition he describes as “the essence of football".

The 50-year-old Croatian was confirmed as Albion's new Head Coach on Thursday and, despite a career which has taken him all over Europe and to two European Championships at both club and international level, the season approaching will be his first taste of the Championship.

It is a division which he says has long fascinated him - “my friends will tell you it has been on my bucket list” - and the chance to take it on with the Baggies was hugely appealing.

Bilić said: “First of all, my friends know, and my fellow coaches know, not just here in Croatia but throughout Europe, that the Championship was always a competition that was on my bucket list.

“This is a common view and not just with me, I assure you. This is a view held by many coaches all over Europe.

“It is like the real essence of football; it is a proper league and when I get the chance to manage one of the strongest clubs in this division, it was an easy decision to make.

“I’ve played in England, I’ve managed in England. I know the club, I know West Bromwich Albion and its history, its traditions. I know their story.”

I'm hoping he means Goran has told him all about us  :P 8) Welcome Slav, bring it on!

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
If Julian isn't up to it at least we can all chant "Dicks out now!!"

This reminds me of Jacobs on talksport a couple of weeks ago when he said England have to get De Ko ck out when we were playing South Africa, very funny and definitely a man thing as the missus didn't find it funny.

Offline Scooby Doo

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
My only concern is how he'll shape the squad. His transfer record at West Ham was quite poor. So it'll be an interesting summer, I'm certainly going to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »
My only concern is how he'll shape the squad. His transfer record at West Ham was quite poor. So it'll be an interesting summer, I'm certainly going to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Multiple sources/leaks suggest he had very little say over transfers at West Ham.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline OllieTheBaggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »

I think Dowling will be as big an influence on our signings as Bilic, though theyll hopefully be agreeing and working together more often than not. Rightly so, Dowling has done a good job so far imo and his role is designed so that we have a long term vision/some consistency as managers come and go.

With Bilic in charge of matters on the pitch and Dowling overseeing transfers, I'm starting to feel excited for next season. Think some good times lie ahead.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:01:24 PM by OllieTheBaggie »

Offline AlbionBest

• WBA Coach
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2019, 08:18:13 AM »
Welcome Slav.

Like the look of this appointment. He will add a much needed positive buzz around the place and hopefully shake things up where they are needed.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #138 on: Yesterday at 05:18:13 PM »
Need him in that office now as soon as possible to start shaping our squad
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:51:01 PM by MarkW »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #139 on: Yesterday at 06:01:01 PM »
Need him in that office now as soon as possible to start shaping our squad

“If he gets the job today he can't do much without the players here, who I understand are on holiday.
I would imagine he needs to assess the players, speak to them, outline his plan for the future then ask who's in and who's off.
Once he's done that he can see what he needs and who's available.
I would imagine that all other players are on holiday as well so he couldn't speak to proposed transfers.
I don't think there's any need to panic yet.”

That’s a bit of change from earlier  ;)

respect and humility for everyone, absolutely everyone, who we come into contact with”

Tolerance, Understanding, Acceptance, Patience

Offline garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie
« Reply #140 on: Yesterday at 06:33:34 PM »
New article up on the official site:

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/june/bili-on-championship-ambitions-and-albion-traditions/

Bilić on Championship ambitions and Albion traditions

Slaven Bilić has made it clear he is relishing his first crack at a competition he describes as “the essence of football".

The 50-year-old Croatian was confirmed as Albion's new Head Coach on Thursday and, despite a career which has taken him all over Europe and to two European Championships at both club and international level, the season approaching will be his first taste of the Championship.

It is a division which he says has long fascinated him - “my friends will tell you it has been on my bucket list” - and the chance to take it on with the Baggies was hugely appealing.

Bilić said: “First of all, my friends know, and my fellow coaches know, not just here in Croatia but throughout Europe, that the Championship was always a competition that was on my bucket list.

“This is a common view and not just with me, I assure you. This is a view held by many coaches all over Europe.

“It is like the real essence of football; it is a proper league and when I get the chance to manage one of the strongest clubs in this division, it was an easy decision to make.

“I’ve played in England, I’ve managed in England. I know the club, I know West Bromwich Albion and its history, its traditions. I know their story.”

We are Slaven's Bucket List Army!

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #141 on: Yesterday at 09:01:43 PM »
That list PAILS into insignificance
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #142 on: Yesterday at 10:08:39 PM »
What's your handle?

Offline alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #143 on: Today at 02:01:22 AM »
Brexit won’t be a huge issue for football.  It just means that European players will need work permits instead of automatically having a right to work in the UK.  There will be minimum criteria required to be met to get a work permit, so some lower level European players won’t meet that criteria, but that’s the main difference that we will see.

That's the point. Where that lower level bar will be set. You can be sure of one thing. It won't be allowed to dent the ambitions of Man U, Man C, L'pool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. Either we avoid the extra uncertainty and bureaucracy involved and get our act together quickly before Brexit, or (better still) Brexit is abandoned. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Online sammyg

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #144 on: Today at 09:04:31 AM »
So Matt Wilson has said that we expect to announce 2 of Bilic’ backroom staff today, after appointments over the weekend. Any idea who these could be?

Online smosher34

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #145 on: Today at 10:19:23 AM »
Juilan Dicks will be one of them.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:21:16 AM by smosher34 »