West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: A Royal Team Talk  (Read 644 times)

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
A Royal Team Talk
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:34:36 PM »
Interesting show on BBC1 just finished about mental health and had Prince William, Gareth Southgate, Jermaine Jenas, Thierry Henry, Danny Rose and Peter Crouch all openly talking about their issues with mental health.

That was inspiring, as I've suffered with depression. The message is clear that men need to open up and talk more.

Offline HamsteadHarry

• Baby Baggie
Re: A Royal Team Talk
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
Just caught up with this. An excellent programme.

Offline gazberg

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
Anything that helps anyone, particularly men, talk about their problems is to be welcomed. Suicide is the biggest killer of males in the world today. In todays society that is unacceptable.

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:07:36 PM »
Mental health a disease that is overlooked by the majority of people as an illness.  Depression is misdiagnosed as someone feeling sorry for themselves, and the remedy is usually to tell them to snap out of it.
It's good that people in the public eye have the bottle to come out and talk openly about it and make people more aware of a horrible disease.
Thankfully i don't suffer from mental health or depression, but i know people who do, and i have had  four friends who have taken their own life.

For all our medical advancements mental health is still not regarded as a major illness.

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:40:02 PM »
The main problem with diagnosing a mental health illness is the varying degrees of suffering and the way it presents itself. It's often different for each person. You could say it's like trying to cure the common cold.

Obviously, things such as bullying, self image and surroundings have a big impact on mental health. But diet can also have a huge impact and I don't think many people know this. Allergies can cause depression and anxiety without even knowing about it.

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:58 PM »
The people you have mentioned are all well off, healthy and famous in their on fields, but that doesn't mean they don't suffer from depression or anxiety. It strikes people who seemingly have nothing to be depressed about.
You see it so often with big star names. Robin Williams was a perfect example.
The brain is a complex thing and the chemicals within in it can cause instant change in personality.

Offline HamsteadHarry

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
Probably a minor point but I liked the way they referred to 'mental fitness' - it keys back into the continuing campaign which says something  like "We've all got mental health and it's like physical health and fluctuates".
It feels like attitudes are beginning  to shift-long way to go but that's good news.

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
A lot of people were shot in WW1 and some were humilated in WW2 for LMF, which today we would class as nervous break downs.
The powers that be probably knew these poor wretches were at the end of their tethers, but they didn't care...they still don't.

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
Poppy day and WW2 anniversaires used to be sombre affairs when I was a kid, we had blokes on every street who had been in it, our Dads and Grandads.  Now they are used as excuses for media luvvies and politicians to play the patriot card.  Don't like it one bit, any money should all go to Leonard Cheshire, Help for Heroes etc, not flying Trump and co around.

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
Poppy day and WW2 anniversaires used to be sombre affairs when I was a kid, we had blokes on every street who had been in it, our Dads and Grandads.  Now they are used as excuses for media luvvies and politicians to play the patriot card.  Don't like it one bit, any money should all go to Leonard Cheshire, Help for Heroes etc, not flying Trump and co around.

It's exactly the reason why i stopped buying a poppy, they were being used as right wing propaganda and not what they were intended for, to remember the fallen in a dignified way.
I still donate but refuse the poppy, i hope some of the money goes to the mentally scarred by wars past and present.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
Anyone heard anything from Glos lately??
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »
I am friends with him on FB, he is ok.