West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Notre-Dame de Paris  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
Re: Notre-Dame de Paris
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 11:20:16 PM »
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-16/notre-dame-fire-paris-france/
Macron pledges fire-ravaged Parisian cathedral will be rebuilt within five years.

That is great.
Someone who can get things moving.
This generation have better and more powerful equipment that all those from many hundreds of years ago.
It is feasable.
I will get anyone that in 5 years it is not complete !
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-16/notre-dame-fire-paris-france/
Macron pledges fire-ravaged Parisian cathedral will be rebuilt within five years.

That is great.
Someone who can get things moving.
This generation have better and more powerful equipment that all those from many hundreds of years ago.
It is feasable.
Anything is possible. However, if they replace like for like, that amount of wood has to come from somewhere. The initial project used an estimated 5,000 trees. A political stumbling block. However, this is the French, and I envision a more modern approach. Old stone and a mix of modern materials. Whatever is decided, I bet my left nut it doesn’t get completed anywhere near the initial costing. It certainly won’t look like the Gothic behemoth that I’ve marveled at many times.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »
The cynic in me, thinks that this terrible tragedy, is a blessing in disguise for Macron
“We create success or failure on the pitch primarily by our thoughts.”

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
The cynic in me, thinks that this terrible tragedy, is a blessing in disguise for Macron

You and me both.

Meanwhile, the conspiracy theorist thinks..............
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 11:50:14 AM »
Why as the UK pledged funds to the rebuild??? Its feck all to do with us!! I think our money could be better spent elsewhere.....
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline BB74

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
Why are anyone contributing? Doesn't the catholic church or the contractor have relevant insurance policies?

Offline EastYorksAlbion

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
The Catholic Church could probably pay for the repairs out of petty cash it is that rich.

Likewise, the church in this country which loves to pontificate on austerity, has enough assets and investments to clear the national debt overnight.

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
You and me both.

Meanwhile, the conspiracy theorist thinks..............

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist - the only one I believe is the Titanic one - but part of me did wonder.

France is incredibly divided. Macrons approval ratings are in the toilet. The fire started just after the last tour had left, and all the religious artefacts have turned up safe.

Leaders have started wars to distract from their own shortcomings...

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
The French Ministry of Culture owns Notre Dame and is responsible for its maintenance.

The high cost of the repairs needed, meant the French Ministry of Culture could no longer pay to maintain it. The then Archbishop of Paris and the Diocese of Paris created a charity, the Friends of Notre-Dame de Paris organisation. The Charity relies on public donations to go towards the upkeep. The Catholic Church does not own the Cathedral.

It begs the question, does the Charity carry insurance? If so, why are multibillionaires donating 100’s of million euros?

Personally, I would not donate a penny towards the rebuilding, I’d sooner give it to the Salvation Army. And as for our government pledging money, I think that is also questionable along with the £ millions of DFID send abroad.

Online BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
The French Ministry of Culture owns Notre Dame and is responsible for its maintenance.

The high cost of the repairs needed, meant the French Ministry of Culture could no longer pay to maintain it. The then Archbishop of Paris and the Diocese of Paris created a charity, the Friends of Notre-Dame de Paris organisation. The Charity relies on public donations to go towards the upkeep. The Catholic Church does not own the Cathedral.

It begs the question, does the Charity carry insurance? If so, why are multibillionaires donating 100’s of million euros?

Personally, I would not donate a penny towards the rebuilding, I’d sooner give it to the Salvation Army. And as for our government pledging money, I think that is also questionable along with the £ millions of DFID send abroad.

Tax write off and a chance to be part of something that will last another 1000 years.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »
Tax write off and a chance to be part of something that will last another 1000 years.

Then they should be giving it to charities that actual help people in my view

Offline Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
Then they should be giving it to charities that actual help people in my view
Le Gillet Jeunes have made the same point, they've protested for 6 months and got nothing for the people of France from Macron or the elites, Notre Dame got $1 Billion in the space of a week!

Offline liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 04:15:47 PM »
I said prior to not discussing politics on this thread that Macron had probably 18 months to fulfill any promises that he said he would do when elected because I felt he was not the right man for the French,in my humble opinion,in fact it took less.
He is completely disliked by most French people,only the rich and business types,that’s why the yellow vests will not give up.
In France people’s marches usually win.
I’m told that he thinks he is the president of Europe and France comes in third behind his 5000 euro a month makeup bill.
He won’t get a second term,not sure who will though,they have many problems the French people,they are a great nation who have never had a people’s president.

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 07:16:53 PM »
Personally I couldn't care less about it. If people lost lives then obviously that's a terrible thing. But it's a building. All this massive show of emotion and rich people looking to get their names out there as a "look how generous I am" type thing is just guff.

I've got an idea, be an actual hero and donate money to homeless people or people who have serious illnesses that need expensive medical help.

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 08:12:40 AM »
Lovely building and all but it isn't like the Grenfell disaster is it.

Society is upside down sometimes.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
Meanwhile in Sri Lanka, a genuine tragedy continues to unfold........  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.