West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 6469 times)

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:18 PM »
He was time wasting, he had already been warned, it was stupid, it changed the game, its a game of football, get and play it, time wasting that early in the tie was ridiculous.

Time wasting is only arguably justifiable with a few minutes to go, otherwise, its cheating.

How is taking a throw in time wasting?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline 1954

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:54 PM »
I can't fault the player's effort and application last night. I'd just like to know where that 'thou shalt not pass' mentality was for most of the season. Too many points dropped as too many games passed us by.

The support from the stands was superb in the most part last night, far more so than deserved by Jenkins and Lai. Lions led by absolute fkn donkeys, hang your heads in shame the pair of you. Clueless, passionless muppets. WE ARE ALBION, not you. What's more is that you never will be.

COYB and SOTV 8) .
Couldn't agree more on all your points but especially the last 2 sentences.

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:50 AM »

How is taking a throw in time wasting?

He was plodding over to retrieve the ball. The ref told him once to hurry up and move quicker but he ignored it. Then did it again moments later and acted surprised when the ref booked him. It's no different to when subs go off and they plod. But the issue is we've time wasted a lot this season, not just Saturday. Johnstone has been booked six times for it.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2019, 01:56:41 AM »
He was plodding over to retrieve the ball. The ref told him once to hurry up and move quicker but he ignored it. Then did it again moments later and acted surprised when the ref booked him. It's no different to when subs go off and they plod. But the issue is we've time wasted a lot this season, not just Saturday. Johnstone has been booked six times for it.

And again...

Why should any player hurry up to take a throw in, show me the law that says he has to?

Offline BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2019, 02:49:45 AM »
Why should any player hurry up to take a throw in, show me the law that says he has to?
Actually an interesting point Jacko makes there, is there an actual rule/law about time wasting itself?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2019, 03:05:27 AM »
Actually an interesting point Jacko makes there, is there an actual rule/law about time wasting itself?

A Rory Delap throw in during the Pulis years took anywhere from 45 to 120 seconds, and they had several each match. To my knowledge Delap was never booked for time wasting.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2019, 04:11:06 AM »
Apparently it took DG 26 seconds to take that throw in, hardly time wasting.

Rolling around is OK and just getting up when you realise a yellow isn't coming out.

Ref should just add the time on at half time and full time, which he did excessively with 5m in the first and 7m in the second half.

The shocking thing to me was that holgate had an equally effective throw in on the evidence of Tuesday night, so surely he should have been taking them and DG should have been in the box feeding off the flick ons.

Over the two everything that could have gone wrong for us did, including losing the toss for pens.

The scum had everything go in their favour going back to hourihane getting no retrospective action for his punch in the Leeds game.

No injuries to the likes of injury prone mings, nothing at all.

Offline Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
If nothing else, last night has brought the fans back together which we have needed for a while.

As a club, we now need to get in a manager/head coach early and allow him time to assess the job at hand.

With the rebuild we will need our expectations need to be reasonable for the new season.

In regards to last night, i'm disapointed but over it. I've spoke to a few Villa fans and they have all commented on how lucky they have been. I just hope that whoever they play in the final gives them a good kicking  ;D

Agree with this. Wasn't at the ground Tuesday but the atmosphere looked and sounded unreal.

Our opportunity to win was in that 25 minute spell at the start of the second half, including the stray goal kick and the header over by Phillips to name a couple. The Villa players seemed rattled during that period, just a shame we couldn't get that second goal as just couldn't see us conceding on the night, the defence was impeccable.

But as you say Dangerman, although it wasn't the result we all wanted, hope people left the ground proud and we can now move on and build something longer lasting with the youth.
Astle is the King!

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »
Sitting here thinking about the two games I still cannot for the life of me understand why Gayle was booked for not sprinting to take a throw in, I would love to know how many players have been booked for this offence in all four leagues.

Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

Online skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:52 AM »
Sitting here thinking about the two games I still cannot for the life of me understand why Gayle was booked for not sprinting to take a throw in, I would love to know how many players have been booked for this offence in all four leagues.

It would be interesting to hear the view of Mr Scott on this one - I would love to know what he said in his report.

Like many others, I am not aware of any rule governing this, but you do see goalkeepers booked for timewasting. I can only assume that this is covered in the rules.

Its like a substitution really, a player on the far side of the pitch gets the hook on 89 minutes and walks back to the bench. He may get the occasional hurry up from both the official and the opposition, but there is no rule saying you have to get off the pitch within a certain timescale is there?   
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

And again...

I don't have to show you a rule. It's basic knowledge that footballers waste time when they're winning and in every game the ref will tell players to hurry up. The difference is most other teams only waste time towards stoppage time when they're winning. Yet we've been doing it in the first half of matches this season.

And again... Gayle was already warned just prior to being booked but he chose to ignore that warning. He wasn't booked first time, he was warned first.

The ref is entitled to show a yellow card to players he feels are wasting time. Whether or not it's pedantic on the ref's part doesn't matter. It's not clever from Gayle or WBA management to test a ref who clearly leans more towards the home team.

And while we're on the subject, Johnstone is going to cost us next season if he doesn't start getting rid of the ball sooner. He frequently holds the ball for 15-18 seconds when the rule is 10.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »
I don't have to show you a rule. It's basic knowledge that footballers waste time when they're winning and in every game the ref will tell players to hurry up. The difference is most other teams only waste time towards stoppage time when they're winning. Yet we've been doing it in the first half of matches this season.

And again... Gayle was already warned just prior to being booked but he chose to ignore that warning. He wasn't booked first time, he was warned first.

The ref is entitled to show a yellow card to players he feels are wasting time. Whether or not it's pedantic on the ref's part doesn't matter. It's not clever from Gayle or WBA management to test a ref who clearly leans more towards the home team.

And while we're on the subject, Johnstone is going to cost us next season if he doesn't start getting rid of the ball sooner. He frequently holds the ball for 15-18 seconds when the rule is 10.
And then he kicks it out of play 9 times out of 10!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »

Johnstone I can agree with Gayle no. All he does is walk towards the direction of where the ball is. He doesn't mess about with the ball when he has it, he doesn't pretend to tie his bootlaces or anything like that he just walks towards the ball. That isn't time wasting there is no time limit in which he is supposed to reach the ball.

The referee is wrong, I don't see how you don't see that.

You've hit the nail on the head with your comment
It's not clever from Gayle or WBA management to test a ref who clearly leans more towards the home team.

That is not within the referee's remit, he is supposed to apply the laws of the game impartially.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:42:01 AM by Atomic »

Offline boinging_along

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
The time wasting against Rotherham by Johnstone annoyed me.  They were facing relegation and we weren't desperate for the points, there was no need for it.

Gayle wasn't time wasting, he just wasn't rushing, there's a difference. He doesn't have to run over to take throw ins.  Even more annoying that we were trying to take a quick throw in and the Villa player ran off with the ball to prevent that.  So when the quick throw in wasn't on, Gayle decided to take it.  He's about to launch the ball with all his strength, no point him running over to take it and then take a breather before throwing it.  Referee got it wrong and had reacted to the crowd\bench\players getting annoyed.

Offline brummyroader

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
If only they played to 80% of that intensity in the 46 league games we would’ve been top 2 easy, regarding the play offs the ridiculous defensive strategy which saw us 5/6 times not actively trying to counter attack in 3 on 3 or 3 on 2 situations has done us. Sounds harsh but one top drawer performance does not cut it.

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »
Ok, we're all entitled to our opinion, however, turn it around. We're trailing and their striker "doesn't rush" to retrieve the ball. Do you, in a high stake derby match just sit and wait or do you shout for him to hurry up?

Yes, refs should be impartial, but how often do they lean towards the home team? They're not called 'homers' for nothing. It happens. Is it right, not at all. But the players, who are experienced professionals need to take some responsibility. Liverpool blame the ref (and everything else) when things go against them. I don't want to be like them.

And It's not a problem we had in just this one game is it? HRK with a rush of blood and saw red. Then Brunt goes diving in twice and sees red. He also could have been sent off for the "stamp", some refs would have sent him off. The players gave the ref the choice to make.

Gayles first yellow proved to be costly. Yes, it's debatable, perhaps very unfair. But how many other single events have proved costly this season? Here's a few:

- Johnstone/Barry passing vs Middlesbrough which led to a goal

- Brunt miskicking vs Middlesbrough which led to a goal

- Losing the ball from kick off against Leeds which led to a goal

- Gibbs going to ground against Grealish which led to a goal

My point is these are some of the errors that were in our control, and giving control to the ref after a warning is an error on Gayles part.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
it's a yellow card offence in football to "excessively delay restarting play", there is no designated time given though so it is up to the ref to decide what is "excessive", is 26 seconds to take a throw in excessive when 30 seconds is allowed for subs and goal celebrations?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:58:24 PM by Hull Baggie »
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
it's a yellow card offence in football to "excessively delay restarting play", the is no designated time given though so it is up to the ref to decide what is "excessive", is 26 seconds to take a throw in excessive when 30 seconds is allowed for subs and goal celebrations?

Consistently walking towards the ball is not excessively delaying the re-start. I don't care how anybody words it the booking was wrong and the referee was wrong.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »

Consistently walking towards the ball is not excessively delaying the re-start. I don't care how anybody words it the booking was wrong and the referee was wrong.

I think a lot are forgetting he added 12 minutes of added time in total and 7 in the second half aline when Dawson injury was in first half.

So he added extra, extra time and penalised us. Why these scum after get centre of attention to increase their profile is beyond me.

No way should DG have been sent off, he had his watch on and evidently he stopped it for 7, that's seven minutes in the second half.

I wish I just could let this defeat go, but I hate the vile cheating scum.

Offline costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
Apparently it took DG 26 seconds to take that throw in, hardly time wasting.

Rolling around is OK and just getting up when you realise a yellow isn't coming out.

Ref should just add the time on at half time and full time, which he did excessively with 5m in the first and 7m in the second half.

The shocking thing to me was that holgate had an equally effective throw in on the evidence of Tuesday night, so surely he should have been taking them and DG should have been in the box feeding off the flick ons.

Over the two everything that could have gone wrong for us did, including losing the toss for pens.

The scum had everything go in their favour going back to hourihane getting no retrospective action for his punch in the Leeds game.

No injuries to the likes of injury prone mings, nothing at all.
And that, in a nutshell, is why I wanted to avoid them in the play-offs. If there is going to be a controversial incident, we tend to be the club that suffers. If there is something important at stake, we come way with a bloodied nose. If it’s only local pride or unimportant points at stake, things go our way. It’s uncanny.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
And that, in a nutshell, is why I wanted to avoid them in the play-offs. If there is going to be a controversial incident, we tend to be the club that suffers. If there is something important at stake, we come way with a bloodied nose. If it’s only local pride or unimportant points at stake, things go our way. It’s uncanny.

I said all the way through and people can check my posts, if it's a huge match between us and them they ALWAYS get the breaks. Yeah we got the hand of Rod, one game amongst a 46 game season, big deal in the grand scheme of things but when it REALLY matters, I knew what was going to happen, the same thing that has for decades.

Co-incidence? Paranoia? Who knows but yet again it happened.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »

couldn't agree more.
 With a rule stating "excessively delaying restarting play" then surely there should be a time frame given i.e. 10 secs, 30 seconds whatever. Under the current ruling it is up to the ref to decide and that's where the consistency falls down.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
couldn't agree more.
 With a rule stating "excessively delaying restarting play" then surely there should be a time frame given i.e. 10 secs, 30 seconds whatever. Under the current ruling it is up to the ref to decide and that's where the consistency falls down.

I have said for ages there should be clock that stops every time there is a break in play, that way we get the full 90 minutes and vitally take the power out of little want to make for name for themselves hitlers like Scott.

When I suggested this on another forum some said I would "never get home", well leave when you want if missing the traffic is your only goal, better that than an essential player being the victim of a complete so and so.

That and var.

They never made it as pro players and this is their last chance of being a non entity sad scumbag.

You how much we matter when they allowed a vile scumbag cheat us against Chelsea in andre marriner.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:02:25 PM by BalisPen »

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:00 PM »
It's taken me all this time to put something on here. I watched it in a pub here (Lytham St. Anne's) with my best mate a Leeds supporter.

I felt so proud of them all tonight in spite of everything and including Brunt who pretty much ended up cornered into that decision, and no derision towards Hegazi who was otherwise top notch.

The crowd were awesome you could even feel it on the TV. I don't make many matches at all as I'm in a band here, so often working, but on that note one guy who follows our band is a Wolves supporter. We call each other every name under the sun - but at the end of the night he ALWAYS tells me the Hawthorns is the best place to go, even better than - his words - the custard bowl.

I think the point I am making here is that the team gave their all on Tuesday but most significantly of all is that The Hawthorns was back to how it should be.

Come on you Baggies. And F off Dowling, Jenkins et al.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:12:38 PM by ex coseley kid »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Offline costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2019, 12:30:09 AM »
It's taken me all this time to put something on here. I watched it in a pub here (Lytham St. Anne's) with my best mate a Leeds supporter.

I felt so proud of them all tonight in spite of everything and including Brunt who pretty much ended up cornered into that decision, and no derision towards Hegazi who was otherwise top notch.

The crowd were awesome you could even feel it on the TV. I don't make many matches at all as I'm in a band here, so often working, but on that note one guy who follows our band is a Wolves supporter. We call each other every name under the sun - but at the end of the night he ALWAYS tells me the Hawthorns is the best place to go, even better than - his words - the custard bowl.

I think the point I am making here is that the team gave their all on Tuesday but most significantly of all is that The Hawthorns was back to how it should be.

Come on you Baggies. And F off Dowling, Jenkins et al.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I can assure you that the atmosphere will return to normal. Important one off games come along only occasionally to most clubs, and they remain memorable usually because of the atmosphere generated. Just think back to ours. Swansea, Palace and Pompey are always mentioned, as they should be... but they are special because they are rare. I saw a short clip of the Brummie from Tuesday. It was how I wish it always was. Sadly, that’s not how it will be till the next do-or-die game. I hope to see it again soon, though.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.