West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 7515 times)

Online Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
Back 3 outstanding especially Hegazi and Dawson. Great header by Dawson for the goal.

I saw Shan having a chat to Harper and Leko before the penalties. I was thinking they were going to be in the line-up to take one. I would back at least Harper to take a decent penalty. With Shan having a word with them it wouldn't surprise me if they volunteered but weren't trusted - I'm speculating but it would fit our general club treatment of young players. 

Offline darbolina

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »
Penalties are a lottery and they won last night that's all.

I couldn't believe that Villa couldn't break down us down for 40mins when down to 10 men and with a depleted team full of kids. It doesn't bode well for them. They remind me of a poor mans Arsenal - lots of possession, easy on the eye but with very little end product. 

I think Villa fans might (again) find out they're not as good as they think they are sometime soon. This is a little secret which the rest of football knows of course!

A Wolves fan called me this morning to say he was gutted Villa won and that we looked far more dangerous and likely to score for most of the two games in spite of their possession - enough said!

Not popular Villa are they.........lacking in humility maybe - Lord knows why!!?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:01:36 PM by darbolina »

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »
Not that it matters but if Villa play like that in the final, then they will be with us in the championship next year.

Take Grealish out that team and they are bang average.

On the penalties, I knew Holgate would miss after watching Steer walk next to him in his ear all the way to the spot.

Offline Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
A mix of emotions, the fans united for this game, did all they could, the players gave it everything and actually won the match.

However, as much as i appreciated the players effort (they really couldnt of done more in that sense) i am hopeful this is the last time we see a number of them.

Villa are a average side with a couple of standout players, they reflect their manager in how they act, he stood on the side gurning and whining looking like a wrong un, it started first leg and carried on last night, whenever you go near them they think they have a divine right to a free kick and even if they do or dont, they harrass the referee for more action (that said no complaints about the Brunt red card) Looking at social media this morning the vast majority of neutrals seem to of picked up on how Villa are and what a snidey niggly team they are.

However they are a better footballing side than us and with the exception of the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half, i felt they were the team over the 2 legs who had intent to win the game, my biggest gripe is still with 2nd half of the 1st leg when we could of got at them as they had run out of ideas but instead we played cowardly football.

Last night confirmed it was two teams who would get battered in the premier league as the quality is so poor, the difference being i think if Villa go up they will try and improve, i think had we gone up we would of tried to stick with what we had. However assuming Leeds get through and play anything like they can i dont think Villa will have to worry about the premier league next season.

A gallant effort from our lads in what hopefully is many farewell appearances.

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »
Stop replying to him. Villa bugger not welcome here win, lose or draw.
Away fans ok in a debate as long as they behave.
We do know this poster didn't log on after our win at Villa Park so that tells you a story.
As ever with away fans , gets out of order they'll be gone.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:28:12 AM by Dexy »
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »
Well its the morning after the night before.
So proud of the players and fans last night, been a while since we had an atmosphere like that.
Brunty didn't cost us a place at Wembly, two poor transfer windows cost us that.
Not bringing in another striker and some legs in the middle of the park cost us last night and most of the season.
Brunty's challenge was rash, especially being on a yellow but you watch the replay and the reaction of the scum players. Straight in the refs face, led by pikey Jack.
I wouldn't blame any of the players last night we got behind them and they delivered.
We played 40 minutes last night with 10 men against the might of scum village.
I'm not dissapointed at all, but I will be if we don't appoint a proper manager and give him the tools to do a proper job.

They did the same Saturday, plenty of teams do it, we stand there and look gormless most of the time and get nothing.

Brunt was reckless all night, he got away with another one when he stamped on McGinn, seeing it back afterwards he was very lucky. He should have been the one calming others down.

But as you say he's not to blame for us not getting there, thats down to 3 suits.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
I ain't fussed about not being in the greed league anyway, management and certain players massively underperforming all season. Brunt and Gayle cost us in these two games along with bizarre substitutions , discipline was shocking . We need a proper head coach. We will be in this league for many years to come. The old players need to go, still relying on Morrison and brunt ffs.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
I ain't fussed about not being in the greed league anyway, management and certain players massively underperforming all season. Brunt and Gayle cost us in these two games along with bizarre substitutions , discipline was shocking . We need a proper head coach. We will be in this league for many years to come. The old players need to go, still relying on Morrison and brunt ffs.

HRK also cost us with his stupid decision to get sent off against Derby.

Would have given us an outlet last night when replacing JayRod, as opposed to putting Leko up there to do nothing.

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »
Appleton comes in 3 red cards in 3 games, coincidence?

I was thinking about the Pen order, I would be surprised if we had not practised them since we had qualified but the first 5 would of also included: Jay Rod, Phillips, Brunt, HRK, Johannson not on the pitch. Hegazi and Holgate might of had the best record as in training as well, The save for Hegazi penalty was quality, Holgate was an easier pen to save if the keeper goes the right way but not a lot wrong with it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:38:14 AM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
To add to the decisions that went against us in the firsts leg, we had one go against us last night when we should have been awarded a penalty for handball in the box by El Gahzi early in the first half. How the linesman missed it god only knows, as bad a decision as the one not given against Abraham in the first leg.

Before the match started we were missing our best striker but we also had our second best attacking player (Phillips) not firing on all cylinders due to his lack of match fitness and having to be subbed half way through the second half for the second match running because of this. Johansen also had to come off seemingly injured and then of course we went down to 10 men with the loss of Brunt.

I have no idea why Rodriguez was taken off (was he injured?) and as he was subbed my first thought was that he was our best penalty taker and that we would rue the decision.

Before the sending off I felt we were the most dangerous side coming forward and that it would be a matter of time before we got a second, which we almost did bar a goal-line clearance by Mings from Murphy's long range shot. Their players were beginning to make unenforced errors and the momentum was with us. The sending off and the substitutions of Phillips and Johansen altered the course of the game.

For almost 45 minutes we played with 10 men against a full strength Villa side with Livermore, Barry, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu, Phillips, Johansen and for extra time also Rodriguez missing and still managed to keep a clean sheet and win the match over 120+ minutes. In fact if the play-offs used the away goals rule we would have gone through!

How close we came despite everything that went against us is hard to take. The luck wasn't with us this time and often in these sort of ties luck can be the deciding factor but we'll have our day again soon enough.

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »
I said before the game that, whatever the result, we could leave nothing behind and boy did we not. Players and fans were amazing all night, fantastic support and atmosphere. My voice must still be echoing around the Hawthorns.
Walked out, head held high and proud to be a Baggie!
Come August I will be happy to look forward to another season in the Championship.
Hopefully with a new manager and philosophy we can make an even better fist of it than this year but for me, Moore's sacking aside, it has been a fantastic roller coaster of a season. Wouldn't swap it for a 17th place finish in the greed league that's for sure.

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
To add to the decisions that went against us in the firsts leg, we had one go against us last night when we should have been awarded a penalty for handball in the box by El Gahzi early in the first half. How the linesman missed it god only knows, as bad a decision as the one not given against Abraham in the first leg.

Before the match started we were missing our best striker but we also had our second best attacking player (Phillips) not firing on all cylinders due to his lack of match fitness and having to be subbed half way through the second half for the second match running because of this. Johansen also had to come off seemingly injured and then of course we went down to 10 men with the loss of Brunt.

I have no idea why Rodriguez was taken off (was he injured?) and as he was subbed my first thought was that he was our best penalty taker and that we would rue the decision.

Before the sending off I felt we were the most dangerous side coming forward and that it would be a matter of time before we got a second, which we almost did bar a goal-line clearance by Mings from Murphy's long range shot. Their players were beginning to make unenforced errors and the momentum was with us. The sending off and the substitutions of Phillips and Johansen altered the course of the game.

For almost 45 minutes we played with 10 men against a full strength Villa side with Livermore, Barry, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu, Phillips, Johansen and for extra time also Rodriguez missing and still managed to keep a clean sheet and win the match over 120+ minutes. In fact if the play-offs used the away goals rule we would have gone through!

How close we came despite everything that went against us is hard to take. The luck wasn't with us this time and often in these sort of ties luck can be the deciding factor but we'll have our day again soon enough.

I think you're pretty much spot on with this post. I'd need to see the handball again, it was difficult to tell from where I was in the ground.

I think it's easy to under-estimate just how monumental that effort was last night when you list all the things that went against us.

It's going to be a big summer. Some people are writing the clubs obituaries but at Championship level Albion are an attractive club for players and with good recruitment there's no reason why we can't be looking at the play off's again next season. Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham coming down, Luton, Barnsley coming up, none of them should hold any fear for us, they are not huge clubs or huge attractions.

It's over to Jenkins and his mates now.

Just to answer your question Windmill, JRod was injured, could barely walk.

Online boinging_along

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
Yeah, it was a clear handball that should have resulted in a pen for us.

Regarding J-Rod, he was absolutely dead on his feet.  He made one lung busting run of about 40 yards to chase a ball down and then went down on his hunches.  It was then that Shan subbed him, we'd have been playing with 9 men otherwise. 

J-Rod looked totally gone and you could see in his face he knew he'd run his race.

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »

I think you're pretty much spot on with this post. I'd need to see the handball again, it was difficult to tell from where I was in the ground.

I think it's easy to under-estimate just how monumental that effort was last night when you list all the things that went against us.

It's going to be a big summer. Some people are writing the clubs obituaries but at Championship level Albion are an attractive club for players and with good recruitment there's no reason why we can't be looking at the play off's again next season. Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham coming down, Luton, Barnsley coming up, none of them should hold any fear for us, they are not huge clubs or huge attractions.

It's over to Jenkins and his mates now.

Just to answer your question Windmill, JRod was injured, could barely walk.

The investment that was made by JP in the training facilities will really add a lot of weight to our recruitment at this level for the new season and hopefully the promising youngsters still here will look at those who have succeeded at this level via other clubs will step up for us to.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline smethwick2

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
Tough one to take last night. On one hand I am immensely proud of the performance put in by the players on the pitch, put themselves on the line and defended with honour. On the other hand it highlighted all of the issues that we have had this year, from not appointing a new manager to clearly not bolstering the forward line. At the end of the last season it was clear that we didn't have enough forward options and we didn't do anything to increase these numbers. Villa were poor overall and made several errors that we just didn't capitalise on and I am sure if we had Barnes running at them it would have been a very different game. In saying that, I think if we had Barnes still we would have come a lot closer to finishing 1st/2nd, Murphy was just not an adequate replacement

Offline smethwick2

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2019, 12:09:48 PM »
Also, the Hawthorns was absolutely rocking last night. I wasn't able to make the game but managed to watch it on the box and the whole ground was behind the team. Wolves as much as I hate to admit it do a lot to get the custard bowl fired up with all their pyrotechnics etc. makes a difficult atmosphere for teams to come to. Would love the Albion to do more to fire up the crowd at the start of games

Online Pie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
Watching last night did make me wonder how many more games we would have won this year if we pressed in a similar fashion instead of sitting back, especially at home.

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
I was massively proud of the performance and sheer effort given by all last night. Special praise imo is due to Bartley and also Johnstone for that stunning save. There were plenty of other outstanding displays but I highlight these 2 as they are much maligned by many people. After the substitutions (all were necessary to be fair) and the sending off of CB I was very worried that if we held out for penalties we had no experienced takers and so it proved. That said I have no idea why Morrison did not take the first one. The Hawthorns was a great place to be last night and I shall remember the atmosphere for a very long time.

We won the match, lets not forget that.... COYB

Offline dangerman

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
If nothing else, last night has brought the fans back together which we have needed for a while.

As a club, we now need to get in a manager/head coach early and allow him time to assess the job at hand.

With the rebuild we will need our expectations need to be reasonable for the new season.

In regards to last night, i'm disapointed but over it. I've spoke to a few Villa fans and they have all commented on how lucky they have been. I just hope that whoever they play in the final gives them a good kicking  ;D

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2019, 04:35:04 PM »
Just popped on their forum to see how deluded their fans were and I wasn't disappointed neither!  :o :o

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=59773.360

12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline kirk

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
It was nice that for 120 minutes the club was all together. It’s been a while
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Offline 1954

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2019, 05:51:30 PM »
They don't have to try. They just don't have a clue! Should not be any where near a management position.
Jenkins is there because Lai didn't realise the only reason JP had him there was as a useful idiot to allow him to shaft the club in order to enrich himself. If only greedy Peace had sold to Fosun..........

Offline The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
The tie turned when Gayle messed about with a throw in at Villa park and got booked, up to that point we were in control, that time wasting wound up the crowd and the Vile got motivation, Gayle got a second yellow and got sent off, everything swung in that moment and it was unnecessary.
Notes from a small island!

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2019, 10:15:38 PM »
The tie turned when Gayle messed about with a throw in at Villa park and got booked, up to that point we were in control, that time wasting wound up the crowd and the Vile got motivation, Gayle got a second yellow and got sent off, everything swung in that moment and it was unnecessary.

He wasn't messing about,  he was a specialist throw in taker playing in a central position. Dreadful to book him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2019, 10:24:51 PM »

He wasn't messing about,  he was a specialist throw in taker playing in a central position. Dreadful to book him.

He was time wasting, he had already been warned, it was stupid, it changed the game, its a game of football, get and play it, time wasting that early in the tie was ridiculous.

Time wasting is only arguably justifiable with a few minutes to go, otherwise, its cheating.
Notes from a small island!