West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 187064 times)

Offline superkev

• Junior Baggie
Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3200 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
Does anyone know if we have interviewed Nigel Pearson ?

He would be my choice
"

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3201 on: June 05, 2019, 11:09:36 PM »

In general I would agree with a lot of what Albion 79 said earlier in this thread. We are very much a club in search of a new playing identitiy and for better or worse the next appointment might be the one to shape it for the next few years at least. We need to get this right we simply cannot afford another 30 odd game appointment.

While I agree with your own & Albion 79's arguments, if the candidates who we are alleged to have had conversations with are genuine, I believe we should, by now, have identified at least one who ticks most of the boxes.
Any appointment carries a risk, so we might get it right this time or we might not, but IMO it's time now to pull the trigger.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3202 on: June 05, 2019, 11:14:07 PM »
We need a hard case, Bilic or Pearson for me.

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3203 on: June 05, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »
I think he did a great job taking over for Moore. Kept us relevant upto the last couple of games.
It came down to a penalty shootout but if JRod s goal attempt at Villa Park had gone in and not been pushed onto the bar we would be looking at a huge cash windfall right now.
MY reservation with Shan getting the job is when it all fails we will lose another good coach that has been at the club for many years.
The turnover of backroom staff is as bad as sacking managers and losing half the team.
We have to bring new blood into the managers position or we will collapse completely.
Wouldn’t we have had to play derby first?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:08:30 AM by OldburyWBA »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline baggie38

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3204 on: June 05, 2019, 11:35:58 PM »
For me it has to be between Hughton and Billic

Offline chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3205 on: June 05, 2019, 11:51:09 PM »
 :D Bilic any day of the week...always liked his managing style and the way he sets his teams up.
Thought he got a raw deal at West Ham. Would be fantastic if we get him in. ;D

Offline Baggies

• WBA Manager
« Reply #3206 on: June 06, 2019, 01:16:35 AM »
The managerial hunt has been a farce, further cementing my belief that Dowling isn’t the man to reinvigorate the club. Just like in January, he is faffing and dragging his feet, and much like January, I am expecting a pick that ends up failing after a long search. A Jacob Murphy appointment.

Bilic is a great pundit but his club management career has been underwhelming. Lee Bowyer has had 1 year in management where he managed to get promotion through the playoffs. His reputation as a man should be enough to put us off.

We have been looking for a manager for 3 months now and we have gone from one manager to the next, each time going cold when we realise everyone of our first choices don’t want to operate under our budget, while being bossed around by blokes who are incompetent.

I’m dreading this next season. The rebuild job is just too big for those in charge.

Boing Boing

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #3207 on: June 06, 2019, 06:37:31 AM »
The whole approach to this fiasco has been scattergun at best.
Instead of identifying the type of manager they want, approaching those managers and making them feel like they were the only one the club wanted, they have grabbed at every Tom, Dick and Slaven that's popped his head up.
I remember an interview with Ashworth a few years ago. In it  he said that the Albion always had their next managerial appointment identified even when they already had a manager in situ.
We really could do with another Dan Ashworth at the real Albion.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Online skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3208 on: June 06, 2019, 06:59:30 AM »
The managerial hunt has been a farce, further cementing my belief that Dowling isn’t the man to reinvigorate the club. Just like in January, he is faffing and dragging his feet, and much like January, I am expecting a pick that ends up failing after a long search. A Jacob Murphy appointment.

Bilic is a great pundit but his club management career has been underwhelming. Lee Bowyer has had 1 year in management where he managed to get promotion through the playoffs. His reputation as a man should be enough to put us off.

We have been looking for a manager for 3 months now and we have gone from one manager to the next, each time going cold when we realise everyone of our first choices don’t want to operate under our budget, while being bossed around by blokes who are incompetent.

I’m dreading this next season. The rebuild job is just too big for those in charge.

I think we need to give his a chance to be honest. We clearly do not know what pressures he is getting from both Jenkins and China, and it is apparent that whoever he appoints needs to be on the National Minimum Wage and fund any transfer activity from a big jar of buttons...........

What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline leeiswba

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3209 on: June 06, 2019, 07:16:09 AM »
Did Pearson have any history at the club?

Can’t really remember if jenkinsnwas at the club back between 04-06 but I’m sure he probably keeps in touch with his mate Peace so if anything did happen then it may put the board off

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3210 on: June 06, 2019, 07:29:33 AM »
Pearson has said that he didn't accept the job fulltime because he was Robson's assistant and he didn't want to be disloyal. He said he would be interested in it now and he always looked out for our results.
We won't give him an interview because it's a nodding dog we want, not someone with a mind and personality of his own.
He is a loose cannon but would probably get us up.
Of all the ones mentioned i would like Bilic, but we won't get him either.
We all know they tempt us with some names then give it to someone totally underwhelming.

Moore and Shan FFS.

Offline Albertbaggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #3211 on: June 06, 2019, 07:36:19 AM »
Pearson has said that he didn't accept the job fulltime because he was Robson's assistant and he didn't want to be disloyal. He said he would be interested in it now and he always looked out for our results.
We won't give him an interview because it's a nodding dog we want, not someone with a mind and personality of his own.
He is a loose cannon but would probably get us up.
Of all the ones mentioned i would like Bilic, but we won't get him either.
We all know they tempt us with some names then give it to someone totally underwhelming.

Moore and Shan FFS.
So why have they interviewed Bilic?

Offline WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #3212 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
much like politics, everyones laughing at us
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Offline AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3213 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
I actually dont get the panic from some of our fans, the players dont return for another 3 weeks! I'd rather the board take there time as this will be a crucial appointment. I dont see the fuss with Billic, he lost it towards his tenure at West Ham and his record with his latest club was poor to say the least.

I'd like a Bowyer, done a great job with very limited resources at Charlton and with an owner who went AWOL and has little interest in the club.......sounds familiar????
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #3214 on: June 06, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
I actually dont get the panic from some of our fans, the players dont return for another 3 weeks! I'd rather the board take there time as this will be a crucial appointment. I dont see the fuss with Billic, he lost it towards his tenure at West Ham and his record with his latest club was poor to say the least.

I'd like a Bowyer, done a great job with very limited resources at Charlton and with an owner who went AWOL and has little interest in the club.......sounds familiar????

I'm with you on that.
Providing they make the right appointment.
Problem is we all know it will be the cheapest appointment, unless they amaze us all!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Online Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3215 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »
from where I’m sat nobody cares about what’s going on at WBA. Most teams have their own scandals to complain about and fear being laughed at for.

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3216 on: June 06, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
So why have they interviewed Bilic?

Because we always tout "a name" to get the fans imaginations racing. The same when we are after players.

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3217 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »

Nobody's laughing at us, nobody really cares that much!

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3218 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
Nobody's laughing at us, nobody really cares that much!

I would guess the Dingles and Vile are. I saw the writing was on the wall when we didn't appoint Dean Smith last summer and Vile did.
I said to my mate, we will miss out on auto, Vile will make the play offs and beat us and go up. I wish i wasn't right all the time.
Now two managers we could and should have gone for, Smith and Potter are in the Prem. You watch Neil and Johnson finish above us next season.
You won't see Darren Moore making headlines anytime soon. Learning the game my arse.

Offline WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #3219 on: June 06, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
I would guess the Dingles and Vile are. I saw the writing was on the wall when we didn't appoint Dean Smith last summer and Vile did.
I said to my mate, we will miss out on auto, Vile will make the play offs and beat us and go up. I wish i wasn't right all the time.
Now two managers we could and should have gone for, Smith and Potter are in the Prem. You watch Neil and Johnson finish above us next season.
You won't see Darren Moore making headlines anytime soon. Learning the game my arse.

tis what i meant to say
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Offline alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3220 on: June 06, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »
But Jenkins wanted Smith by all accounts - it was lai who wanted and selected DM

Offline hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3221 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »
What is becoming more apparent by the day is how utterly clueless the higher ups were,at the time of DM's sacking ! Clearly they had little or no idea of who they wanted or what type of head man they wanted or if they did no idea of how much it was going to cost. 3 months down the line and still apparently using an outdated scattergun is just ridiculous. Clearly people at the top are not fit for footballing purpose and must be replaced with someone with some knowledge of the workings of the industry and not glorified yes men and bean counters !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Offline hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3222 on: June 06, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
But Jenkins wanted Smith by all accounts - it was lai who wanted and selected DM
If this were the case then surely any CEO with any moral fibre and confidence in his own ability would have resigned as he is being overruled purely on financial grounds , the very resin for his being at the club !!?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Online Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3223 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »

But those 3 weeks could be spent assessing the current squad, finding out which players want to stay/can be kept, which players need to be moved on or don't want to be here, starting the process of speaking to new signings, getting in touch with agents and clubs to see what players are available, speaking to free agents who may be able to improve our current squad.

Granted the senior players wont be here to train, but there is plenty that needs to be done and the longer we go without a manager the harder its going to be for the new guy.

Just hope we all remember that if the results don't start the best and pressure starts to mount on him.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3224 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:15 AM »
What is becoming more apparent by the day is how utterly clueless the higher ups were,at the time of DM's sacking ! Clearly they had little or no idea of who they wanted or what type of head man they wanted or if they did no idea of how much it was going to cost. 3 months down the line and still apparently using an outdated scattergun is just ridiculous. Clearly people at the top are not fit for footballing purpose and must be replaced with someone with some knowledge of the workings of the industry and not glorified yes men and bean counters !!

I assume by people at the top, you mean the key decision makers?

I believe, they would be the DoF, CEO & The Owner.

We know that the owner has an extremely limited knowledge of English Football, but Jenkins & Dowling have been in & around the game for some time & both will have networked with other English based Owners & Execs. so I'd imagine they would be pretty switched on.
It really depends on who is having the final say in the decision making process.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?