Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 362933 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3175 on: June 05, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
According to talksport we've spoken to Bowyer today - would have expected Matt Wilson or John Percy to be first on the ball with that so have some doubts re this.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3176 on: June 05, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
Bowyer is a thug, we might as well have Barton or Pearson. I would defo prefer Pearson to either of those.
I would love Bilic, eccentric, passionate, can set up a good team, European contacts etc etc, but we all know it won't happen don't we guys.
We will faff about and next thing he will be managing Boro.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3177 on: June 05, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
Bowyer is a thug, we might as well have Barton or Pearson. I would defo prefer Pearson to either of those.
I would love Bilic, eccentric, passionate, can set up a good team, European contacts etc etc, but we all know it won't happen don't we guys.
We will faff about and next thing he will be managing Boro.
I'm not sure on this but has Bowyer ever been in trouble off the pitch, or while a manager ?

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3178 on: June 05, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Bowyer has been in management for just over 12 months. Not sure he'd be the right man for the rebuild we face.

I still think that Jokanovic is the stand out candidate by a mile.

He's Fergie compared to Moore then and the board had no hesitation appointing him.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3179 on: June 05, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »
Bowyer has been in management for just over 12 months. Not sure he'd be the right man for the rebuild we face.

I still think that Jokanovic is the stand out candidate by a mile.

My personal opinion but I would rather Shan have the job than Bowyer.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3180 on: June 05, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »
This is unprecedented. I've never known a football club sound out so many different managers, lets not forget this process has been going on since we looked at Jokanovic and Wagner after Moore went. I'd almost applaud them for doing so much due dilligence, but then I realise these are people who are proven failures at their job and there's no common theme whatsoever between the managers they are talking to.

Smacks of Jenkins - "who is the best guy we can get in, the safest option, for the absolute minimum financial outlay?" No matter how many they speak to, the answer to this question is going to be 'stick with Shan/Appleton'.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3181 on: June 05, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
I'm not sure on this but has Bowyer ever been in trouble off the pitch, or while a manager ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

Quite a trail of worrying on and off the pitch disciplinary incidents involving him through his playing career.
However, I am sorry if I am being unduly harsh on him as everyone deserves a chance to change for the better. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3182 on: June 05, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »

He's Fergie compared to Moore then and the board had no hesitation appointing him.

And yet a modern-day Yanited would have sacked Fergie before his first season was over. Just saying.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3183 on: June 05, 2019, 07:03:08 PM »
Going to be a while yet
Appleton, Bruno, Bilic, Bowyer
We still have C  D E F G H I etc to get through yet
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3184 on: June 05, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »
And yet a modern-day Yanited would have sacked Fergie before his first season was over. Just saying.

Hindsights a curse but DM didn't show any promise but i'll leave it there. He is in the past and tbf i shouldn't have brought him up.

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3185 on: June 05, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »
Hindsights a curse but DM didn't show any promise but i'll leave it there. He is in the past and tbf i shouldn't have brought him up.

Fair enough mate.... touchy area for us all DM, he's always going to be a legend here....

but for me after the absolute farce the board made of Darren they really need to pull out a plum now.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3186 on: June 05, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
Agreed my friend. They have really took the biscuit the last 16 months or so.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3187 on: June 05, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
Going to be a while yet
Appleton, Bruno, Bilic, Bowyer
We still have C  D E F G H I etc to get through yet
Class! Made me laugh that as brill!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3188 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

Quite a trail of worrying on and off the pitch disciplinary incidents involving him through his playing career.
However, I am sorry if I am being unduly harsh on him as everyone deserves a chance to change for the better.
Cheers, yes a little bit worrying....nose clean as a manager so far but his past conduct doesn't make for a great read.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3189 on: June 05, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
Cheers, yes a little bit worrying....nose clean as a manager so far but his past conduct doesn't make for a great read.
Exactly.
How would he control discipline?
Do as I say not as I do?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3190 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
Sanchez Flores mentioned in the latest Matt Wilson update. All seems very erratic at the moment.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3191 on: June 05, 2019, 09:18:16 PM »
According to Alan Nixon we will have a manager by the end of the week

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/06/blogs/nixon-west-brom-will-have-manager-by-end-of-the-week/
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3192 on: June 05, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
Exactly.
Do as I say not as I do?

By encouraging the players to learn from his mistakes.

Not saying he’s the right guy by the way, just how he could turn a negative into a positive.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3193 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
According to Alan Nixon we will have a manager by the end of the week

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/06/blogs/nixon-west-brom-will-have-manager-by-end-of-the-week/

Which week?

This? Next, the last in December?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3194 on: June 05, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Exactly.
Do as I say not as I do?

Charlton had 6 red cards last season and 100 yellow cards

We had 7 red (Livermore x2, Rodriguez, Hegazi, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu) and at least 75 yellow (couldn't find confirmed details)

So not much in it.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3195 on: June 05, 2019, 09:31:54 PM »
Charlton had 6 red cards last season and 100 yellow cards

We had 7 red (Livermore x2, Rodriguez, Hegazi, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu) and at least 75 yellow (couldn't find confirmed details)

So not much in it.
According to Wikepdia, Bowyer was the first player to reach 100 yellow cards in the Premier League.

But even if he has learned from his mistakes, he's only had one year's experience as a manager, which on its own, should rule him out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:39:42 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3196 on: June 05, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »
Lee Bowyer was an incredible footballer lets not forget. Mental yes. Off the pitch a time bomb? Yes. Cannot argue with the job he has done at Charlton. Would be quite surprised if he left to be honest.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3197 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:10 PM »
According to Wikepdia, Bowyer was the first player to reach 100 yellow cards in the Premier League.

But even if he has learned from his mistakes, he's only had one year's experience as a manager, which on its own, should rule him out.

I'm not advocating Bowyer in any way (at the moment i'm bored of the whole thing) but Roberto Di Matteo had one season before he came to us, his MK Dons just missed out on promotion and he got us back up in his 1st season (different times I know). Bowyer has gone one better than RDM so one season only shouldn't be a concern if he is given the job. Lampard has just completed his first season and they finished as losing semi finalists in the play offs same as us and were one of only 2 teams to do the double over us.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3198 on: June 05, 2019, 10:40:31 PM »
Two new names in the frame with the proviso that the reports are credible and that the sequence of reporting is the same as the sequence events.

Slaven Bilic

Instinctively I like the idea, but I think it is necassary to distinguish between Slaven Bilic the polished TV pundit and Billic the coach. Being good on TV is a different skill set to taking an injury ravaged squad to Barnsley on a wet Tuesday night in February needing to get a result.

Looking at his track record it is fair to say it is mixed. His initial season at West Ham remains the club's best in the Premier League era but that was very much a high watermark and he then suffered the painful transition to the London Stadium which culminated in his dismissal a little over a season latter.

Bilic's sides seem free scoring enough but the goals against column seems to be a long term issue. I don't think he has a negative bone in his body so the football should be fun.

I am genuinely torn this is the sort of "name" appointment that gets fans excited but when you look at the CV's of other candidates particularly Hughton and Labbedia there is solid achievement. Whether the board and the fans remain star struck long enough to give him time is another matter.

Lee Bowyer

Setting aside the deserved bad boy image from his playng days Bowyer's debut season in management could have hardly gone better. Yet that is the problem he is still pretty inexpereinced and while the circumstances around Charlton could hardly be more trying I still don't think this is a job for a relative rookie.

In general I would agree with a lot of what Albion 79 said earlier in this thread. We are very much a club in search of a new playing identitiy and for better or worse the next appointment might be the one to shape it for the next few years at least. We need to get this right we simply cannot afford another 30 odd game appointment.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

superkev

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3199 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
Does anyone know if we have interviewed Nigel Pearson ?

He would be my choice
"