West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 195463 times)

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2200 on: May 17, 2019, 10:05:13 PM »
I have always admired Nigel Adkins and he is out of contract at Hull this summer, as is Frazier Campbell, who I believe is a better option than HRK to come off the bench.

Offline EastYorksAlbion

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #2201 on: May 17, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
I have always admired Nigel Adkins and he is out of contract at Hull this summer, as is Frazier Campbell, who I believe is a better option than HRK to come off the bench.
Always liked Adkins myself, saw a lot of Scunny when he was manager there, and they played good stuff and over achieved massively, he was also a genuinely nice guy and alway took time to say hello if you bumped into behind the scenes as I often did through work at the time.

Offline WBArgo

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2202 on: May 17, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
Not for me. I'd put him as a solid Championship manager but really we should be more ambitious; his last promotion was 7 years back and although he's done well with Hull, he's been patchy with a few other clubs (I'm not a massive fan of Hughton but I think he is a class above Adkins).

I agree that Campbell is better than Kanu, but he will be 32 in September and there's a lot of strikers in this league who are better than Kanu, 4 league goals even for a substitute is abysmal when you consider how attack Moore's style was at times.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2203 on: May 17, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
Always liked Adkins myself, saw a lot of Scunny when he was manager there, and they played good stuff and over achieved massively, he was also a genuinely nice guy and alway took time to say hello if you bumped into behind the scenes as I often did through work at the time.

I know he is definitely out our price range, but are there any rumours up there about where Bowen is going?

Offline baggie96

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2204 on: May 17, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Shortlist of 4, who are they though? My guess;

Hughton
Cowley
Vieira
Jokanovic

The obvious 2 are Jokanovic and Hughton, would be happy with either of those. Really don’t fancy Cowley but he will have knowledge of the lower leagues and some of the talent there. Vieira would be intriguing and would finally allow us to start using the foreign market for players. I’d give Vieira a chance personally but may be tough to persuade.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #2205 on: May 18, 2019, 12:08:07 AM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

“WBA have narrowed their managerial search down to four candidates. Interviews start next week”

Your guess is as good as mine, I am hoping against hope that Jokanovic is one of the candidates
“We create success or failure on the pitch primarily by our thoughts.”

Offline Baggies

• WBA Manager
« Reply #2206 on: May 18, 2019, 12:27:36 AM »
Strange to hear Dowling say that he can't get the atmosphere out of his head from the Villa game and how he wants to bring in a manager that makes that a much more regular occurrence, and yet the first 2 names that have been linked with the short list are Hughton and Crowley.

Now I feel the club are totally right to give serious considerstion to both candidates, as they both have good track records in their managerial careers and are both very attainable, but both of them have a reputation for fairly functional football from everything I have read (and in Hughton's case, seen).

If your aim is to get the place buzzing, you probably need to be seeking out a manager who plays a more high octane style of football, else you are just paying lip service to the atmosphere thing.

Neither Hughton nor Cowley would be poor appointments and any championship club who hires them will have a good chsnce next season, but I can't see them ever being entertainers.
Boing Boing

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2207 on: May 18, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »
Strange to hear Dowling say that he can't get the atmosphere out of his head from the Villa game and how he wants to bring in a manager that makes that a much more regular occurrence, and yet the first 2 names that have been linked with the short list are Hughton and Crowley.

Now I feel the club are totally right to give serious considerstion to both candidates, as they both have good track records in their managerial careers and are both very attainable, but both of them have a reputation for fairly functional football from everything I have read (and in Hughton's case, seen).

If your aim is to get the place buzzing, you probably need to be seeking out a manager who plays a more high octane style of football, else you are just paying lip service to the atmosphere thing.

Neither Hughton nor Cowley would be poor appointments and any championship club who hires them will have a good chsnce next season, but I can't see them ever being entertainers.

I think there are a couple of things even professionals sometimes get caught up in the mood. I doubt Dowling or many of the players have been in a stadium where the atmosphere was as white hot as that generated on Tuesday night. The question is what generated it?

The opposition and what was at stake. Our oldest rivals and a place in what might be arguably the biggest game of the season. Overlay the game situation which was always balanced on a knife edge throw in we were underdogs with a sense of being slightly hard done by from the game just a few days earlier. If that situation didn't generate an atmosphere nothing would.

Had we been 4:0 up from the 1st leg sure the Hawthorns would have been bouyant but the atmosphere would not have been so intense.

I am not sure that just entertaining football or good results will reproduce that feeling. It is only the occasion the absolute cliff hanger that generates that level of noise from a crowd almost any crowd.

A Head Coach isn't going to deliver that. Circumstance and our desire as fans to be loud and proud might the best a Head Coach can do is tap into it.

Dowling is just caught up in the moment. Fine and dandy but the Head Coach whoever it is will still pull their trousers on one leg at a time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:27:18 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #2208 on: May 18, 2019, 06:40:35 AM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

“WBA have narrowed their managerial search down to four candidates. Interviews start next week”

Your guess is as good as mine, I am hoping against hope that Jokanovic is one of the candidates

I hope Appleton and Pulis aren't included in those 4
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:43:58 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2209 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
This suggests to me that Appleton is very much in the frame.

“Walking away from the ground on Tuesday evening I thought from start to finish it was a night to be proud to work for West Bromwich Albion,” he said.

“It showed everyone, not only employees and supporters of our football club, but people who watched it on TV, what we’re about.

“It was a proud evening, in terms of what they players went through, and how they got through it. Obviously, we’ve been knocked out of the Play-Offs but it’s given us a sense of belief for the future that this is how we want nights to be at Albion. We understand every home game won’t be like that but we want to see that more often than not.

“I’ve only been here since September but I’m not sure it’s been the happiest of places over the past few seasons. But that’s something we need to change. It’s something we want to change.

“We will do our upmost behind the scenes to change that.

“We want to put 11 players out there with a Head Coach leading them that represent West Bromwich Albion Football Club. Everyone mucks in at Albion, from the top down, and that represents Albion. We want the Head Coach and players to represent that as well, and we want the fans to see that.

“The fans appreciated Tuesday, it probably reflected West Bromwich as an area, that we work hard for everything that we’ve got. That’s what we want to continue next season.”
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2210 on: May 18, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
He's said it could take longer than 2 weeks so that'll be June 18th then.

I hope the 4 are; Jokanovic, Hughton, Johnson and an obscure foreign coach with a great track record.

I think it's Hughton, Cowley, Appleton and Moyes.

And i think we'll get Hughton.

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2211 on: May 18, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
This "four" - teasing isn't it?  ;D

I'd say Hughton is absolutely certain to be one of the four. The other three - who knows, pure guesswork. Danny Cowley, very possibly. Other two, no idea. Won't be Pulis or Pardew that's for certain.

Offline BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2212 on: May 18, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
Alan nixon has repeatedly said cowley is not interested. Hughton, vieria and one other are my guesswork.

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2213 on: May 18, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
This suggests to me that Appleton is very much in the frame.

How does this suggest Appleton? Just asking as I can’t see that it does

Offline BB74

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2214 on: May 18, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
Chris Coleman
Michael Appleton
Brian McDermott
James Shan

Offline baggie steve

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2215 on: May 18, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
Grant McCann from Donaster , very young and inexperienced but can see him becoming a top manager , plays great football  , I'd prefer to see us give someone like this an opportunity to build something good , rather than a merry go round has been .....

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2216 on: May 18, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
Just in on twitter from Paul Suart (Birmingham Mail Albion correspondent) confirms that Appleton is NOT on the short list of 4.

Obviously will please some but I would much prefer Appleton who has always played decent football to some Pulis clone like Cowley but whatever order the Air Raid warning sound effect.

Offline MarkW

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #2217 on: May 18, 2019, 09:20:37 AM »
Just in on twitter from Paul Suart (Birmingham Mail Albion correspondent) confirms that Appleton is NOT on the short list of 4.

Obviously will please some but I would much prefer Appleton who has always played decent football to some Pulis clone like Cowley but whatever order the Air Raid warning sound effect.

Blackburn fan who I know would disagree about the good football bit. Worst he's seen apparently
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Mo

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #2218 on: May 18, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »

I just don’t get what people see in Appleton

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2219 on: May 18, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
Alan nixon has repeatedly said cowley is not interested. Hughton, vieria and one other are my guesswork.

Nixon actually replied to a tweet with the words "don't fancy it".

How you take that depends I suppose. It could mean Cowley doesn't fancy the job, Nixon doesn't fancy Cowley or Nixon doesn't fancy that deal to happen.

I'd be keeping an open mind.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2220 on: May 18, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
Blackburn fan who I know would disagree about the good football bit. Worst he's seen apparently

Basing it on the 3 seasons he had at Oxford rather than 15 games he had at Blackburn however it is a completely moot point as he won't be our next Head Coach.

Again my dislike of Cowley is based on a well established pattern of play and a style which after a while won't change even in a relatively young coach.

Alan Nixon as a journalist is just one step up from an "ITK" poster on Twitter. He takes a little bit of gossip and spins a story and woe betide anyone who challenges the bs. And yeah just so he never gets caught out uses deliberately vague language so his tweet could be read at a latter date as being right almost regardless of the outcome

Offline silver surfer

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #2221 on: May 18, 2019, 09:58:59 AM »
We want attacking football, someone with a proven track record, ideally a manager who has had to rebuild a team and achieve promotion soon after.
I’d take Mowbray back, he’s got more appeal than some of the candidates mentioned.
Common sense isn't that common

Offline cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2222 on: May 18, 2019, 10:08:08 AM »
Anyone considered that we are looking at lower league managers because that is where we will be signing our players from, when we sell the crown jewels?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2223 on: May 18, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
How does this suggest Appleton? Just asking as I can’t see that it does

The whole tone of the statement suggests, to me, that we want to appoint someone who understands the DNA of West Bromwich.
Other than Appleton, I think Hughton might, but I'm not sure any of the others will.
IMO, the plan is to take an evolutionary course, I just don't see this mass clear out, I think we're trying to move on some of our higher paid players so that we can bring in some of the successful loanees we had this season. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gayle, Johansson, & Holgate signed permanently.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2224 on: May 18, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
Anyone considered that we are looking at lower league managers because that is where we will be signing our players from, when we sell the crown jewels?

I would dispute the description of past their prime Premier League squad fillers as the "Crown Jewels"

Where do you think players like Bradley Dack or Jamie Vardy or John Stones came from? I could go on the list is pretty much endless.

The only "lower league" manager we have been linked with is Cowley and that is a mistake but not for the reason he is managing at Lincoln.