Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718013 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2000 on: May 15, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
Danny Cowley high up in the odds, second favourite on paddy power

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2001 on: May 15, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Danny Cowley high up in the odds, second favourite on paddy power
Good shout..the Cowleys have rejuvenated Lincoln on a very limited budget..taking average players and coaching them to a really good standard..

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2002 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Cowley deserves a crack a job higher up, wouldn't be against him being given a chance here.

Lee Johnson is another I can see us going for. Constantly does well with Bristol City, always come close to the play offs, play some good football and knows how to build a team on a budget.

A left field appointment I would like us to look at, someone like  Van Bronkchorst, leaving Feyenoord, won the cup in his first season, won the league in his second season, leaving at the end of the season, can't see any prem team taking a risk on him so we may be able to tempt him into English football?

benalbion

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2003 on: May 15, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »
The way things have gone at the albion over the years im looking at this realistically.
Unlikely (what we all want) - we get a manager in who be allowed to have a clear out, bring in fresh ideas and his own staff and new players
Likely(what those at the top will do) - Shan will be manager come august. After loans gone back and players are sold we will be picking the bones from a depleted squad and bring in quick cheap options for start of season

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2004 on: May 15, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
The way things have gone at the albion over the years im looking at this realistically.
Unlikely (what we all want) - we get a manager in who be allowed to have a clear out, bring in fresh ideas and his own staff and new players
Likely(what those at the top will do) - Shan will be manager come august. After loans gone back and players are sold we will be picking the bones from a depleted squad and bring in quick cheap options for start of season
Shan confirmed last night he wont be manager but club has assured him of a place on the coaching staff if he wants it
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2005 on: May 15, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
To me we are not that far away from where we were in 2006/2007 when we lost in the playoffs, we will lose some our bigger names now we havent gone up, but we could also try and keep some of the better ones for this level.

The difference was then we had Mowbray who had a clear vision of how he wanted to play, we need to find another Mowbray.

He came from Hibs and wasnt a big name / coup but we thought outside the box a bit, same as with our player recruitment back then and it paid off, not only that it got fans excited again.

I dont care if the new manager is british or foreign, what i want is somebody is hungry, has a vision and wants to better themselves. The problem with a Hughton is he has a template and will implement it wherever he goes, its like a default setting, i like him as a bloke and have no doubt if he came in he would do a decent job and though may lead us back to the premier league, it would be conservative, we have been there and done that.

If we go back to the premier league i want it to be exciting and try a new approach, Norwich have yoyo'd similar to us but their fans are buzzing because they are going up this time with a different way of approaching the premier league and its exciting, that needs to be us again.

These players got us relegated and ultimately didnt get us promoted again, for some of them they have peaked and they are declining, others have just become stale so now is the ideal time for a overhaul and fresh approach.

I think the pressure and expectation will of gone a bit next season so whoever comes in has a big advantage on Moore and Shan, if we get this appointment right it could lead to a exciting new era for Albion, sadly i think we will go for the tired and trusted approach, again.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2006 on: May 15, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
Holding talks with Hughton next week then, so it begins!

Patrick Vieira is a new link though!

(J. Percy - Telegraph)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:07:13 AM by phbaggies »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2007 on: May 15, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »

(J. Percy - Telegraph)

Is this a MSM source?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2008 on: May 15, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »

(J. Percy - Telegraph)

The line that really worries me from the article is this

‘But Hughton’s previous record of two promotions makes him an attractive option for the West Brom board.’

Obviously the goal next season is to be promoted but we also need some further long term planning which let’s be honest with you Hughton at 60 years old isn’t. Also another pragmatic experienced British manager.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2010 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:41 AM »
The line that really worries me from the article is this

‘But Hughton’s previous record of two promotions makes him an attractive option for the West Brom board.’

Obviously the goal next season is to be promoted but we also need some further long term planning which let’s be honest with you Hughton at 60 years old isn’t. Also another pragmatic experienced British manager.

This worries me more in the article from Shan's mouth "The mentality of the owners, technical director and chief executive will definitely steer this club back into the Premier League."

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2011 on: May 15, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
This worries me more in the article from Shan's mouth "The mentality of the owners, technical director and chief executive will definitely steer this club back into the Premier League."
The line before says they've guaranteed him a place on the coaching staff so he's hardly going to say anything derogatory. Personally, I hope he's right and they do steer us back to the Prem. I just hope that, when it happens, as Albion79 says,  it is with a young, attack minded team and philosophy and not a stale dinosaur.
Potter or Johnson would be my choices.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2012 on: May 15, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Hughton ticks all the boxes....promotion success with different teams, able to work on a limited budget, respected within the game (although the JRod and Bong situation left some bad feelings), and lets not forget he is leaving Brighton having kept them UP despite having to rely on the old man up front for the goals to keep them up.

He has a reputation for teams playing pragmatic football, but I remember seeing Brighton early on in the campaign whilst they were on a good run and was surprised just how bright they looked, zipping the ball about and creating chances. 

Their big problem this year has been the abject failure of the marque forward signings from the Dutch League with 3 goals for the £30 million investment.   Would these big signings have been Hughton's choice or their recruitment team before Ashorth's arrival?  Either way it is pretty irrelevant as the next manager at the Hawthorns wont be getting £30 million for the entire team rebuild let alone two players.

Question is.....are we an attractive proposition for a man with Hughton's background.?  3 managers sacked in the last year and a bit (one of whom was in 4th place in the league at the time) an unbalanced and ageing squad lacking both pace and technical ability and no external funding from owners for new players.  It's a big job working for an owner who is showing ZERO interest in the club other than as an investment and a boss who is purely financially driven and NOT a football man.Put that job description in the papers and see who applies!!

If i'm struggling to sell it to myself, how are we going to sell it to a choice off the A list like Hughton or Johnson??  Other than "We are the Albion"....which would of course work for us.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:04:19 PM by Oldbury24 »

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2013 on: May 15, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
A couple of names not mentioned, Mikel Arteta, Darren Fletcher.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2014 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
We have a big re-build on our hands. I believe we need knowledge and experience. Hughton is a decent pair of hands that can sure us up and make us solid and build from the back, which is a good way to build.

If a building is being bulldozed, you don't buy the ornaments and furniture first, you set the foundations. That's why Hughton in my eyes is a great shout. It won't be as pretty as we'd like but we've now missed the opportunity for that.

Yes i'd love Jokanovic, Potters or somebody of that ilk however i would say we now need to steady this ship.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2015 on: May 15, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »

Would be very interesting, I just can't see it happening. It will always be hard to pull away a key member of staff from a powerhouse such as Man City. He is much more likely to get a job at a decent La Liga side like Valencia.

If we could get him though I'm sure he will play the kind of football that we would love to see and attract some decent names

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2016 on: May 15, 2019, 12:39:54 PM »
We need some fresh idea and a big overhaul for the squad.
Patrick Vieira or Mikel Arteta would be an interesting one.
The PRIDE of midlands

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2017 on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »

Arteta was close to the Arsenal job before Emery got it, would have a feeling he would see himself as being 'too big' for the championship. Can see him starting his managerial career abroad.

Darren Fletcher, in short - No. Would rather we kept Shan on as manager than give it to a complete novice who has zero managerial experience.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2018 on: May 15, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »
As long as whoever it is has no previous links to the club and plays attractive attacking football I really don't care who it is. I know I should care but I've had any enthusiasm for it knocked out of me by the board.

I'd like us to go for a young and upcoming manager(s) like the Cowleys at Lincoln or Lee Johnson but as I say attractive attacking football is a must for me.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2019 on: May 15, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
I think the club appointed its next manager for the Championship a few weeks ago.....

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2020 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
John Percy reports that the Club will be holding talks with Hughton next week..

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2021 on: May 15, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Why do we always go for out of work managers? There is a reason why they are out of work.
Last season we could/should have gone for Dean Smith, Graham Potter or Lee Johnson, but we went for big hearted nice but dim Darren Moore, because we didn't want to be accused of being racist, which we were anyway.
You make your bed, you lie in it.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2022 on: May 15, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
John Percy reports that the Club will be holding talks with Hughton next week..

Really surprised to see them acting so quickly to be honest.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2023 on: May 15, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Really surprised to see them acting so quickly to be honest.
Quite surprised myself but maybe they want someone in early to make the squad their own well in advance of pre season..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2024 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:08 PM »
That's j Rod gone after all Hughton basically called him a racist, can't see him staying under this coach.