Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 212689 times)

webral

• Baby Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2025 on: May 15, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
A couple of names not mentioned, Mikel Arteta, Darren Fletcher.

OllieTheBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2026 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:18 PM »
If theres one member of the hierarchy I have faith in, its Dowling. Hes bought in Barnes, Holgate and Johansen who have all been outstanding additions. Yes, there was Bartley (Who will be in the former list of good purchases anyway if he keeps his current performances up) and Murphy, but people forget that Dan Ashworth was very hit and miss too. For every Odemwingie there was a Rosenberg. With Dowling, weve gone a long way to finally replacing Ashworth in my eyes.

What we really need is a new manager with a 3-5 year vision for the entire club to aspire to. Someone with some pedigree, experience and hunger to put this fantastic football club back where we belong.

lewisant

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2027 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
We have a big re-build on our hands. I believe we need knowledge and experience. Hughton is a decent pair of hands that can sure us up and make us solid and build from the back, which is a good way to build.

If a building is being bulldozed, you don't buy the ornaments and furniture first, you set the foundations. That's why Hughton in my eyes is a great shout. It won't be as pretty as we'd like but we've now missed the opportunity for that.

Yes i'd love Jokanovic, Potters or somebody of that ilk however i would say we now need to steady this ship.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2028 on: May 15, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »

Would be very interesting, I just can't see it happening. It will always be hard to pull away a key member of staff from a powerhouse such as Man City. He is much more likely to get a job at a decent La Liga side like Valencia.

If we could get him though I'm sure he will play the kind of football that we would love to see and attract some decent names

koren

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2029 on: May 15, 2019, 12:39:54 PM »
We need some fresh idea and a big overhaul for the squad.
Patrick Vieira or Mikel Arteta would be an interesting one.
The PRIDE of midlands

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2030 on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »

Arteta was close to the Arsenal job before Emery got it, would have a feeling he would see himself as being 'too big' for the championship. Can see him starting his managerial career abroad.

Darren Fletcher, in short - No. Would rather we kept Shan on as manager than give it to a complete novice who has zero managerial experience.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2031 on: May 15, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »
As long as whoever it is has no previous links to the club and plays attractive attacking football I really don't care who it is. I know I should care but I've had any enthusiasm for it knocked out of me by the board.

I'd like us to go for a young and upcoming manager(s) like the Cowleys at Lincoln or Lee Johnson but as I say attractive attacking football is a must for me.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

kris_boing

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2032 on: May 15, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
I think the club appointed its next manager for the Championship a few weeks ago.....

gavinrussell

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2033 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
John Percy reports that the Club will be holding talks with Hughton next week..

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2034 on: May 15, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Why do we always go for out of work managers? There is a reason why they are out of work.
Last season we could/should have gone for Dean Smith, Graham Potter or Lee Johnson, but we went for big hearted nice but dim Darren Moore, because we didn't want to be accused of being racist, which we were anyway.
You make your bed, you lie in it.

LiamTheBaggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2035 on: May 15, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

Really surprised to see them acting so quickly to be honest.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gavinrussell

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2036 on: May 15, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Really surprised to see them acting so quickly to be honest.
Quite surprised myself but maybe they want someone in early to make the squad their own well in advance of pre season..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2037 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:08 PM »
That's j Rod gone after all Hughton basically called him a racist, can't see him staying under this coach.

MarkW

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2038 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »
Why do we always go for out of work managers? There is a reason why they are out of work.
Last season we could/should have gone for Dean Smith, Graham Potter or Lee Johnson, but we went for big hearted nice but dim Darren Moore, because we didn't want to be accused of being racist, which we were anyway.
You make your bed, you lie in it.

Got any evidence of that?

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2039 on: May 15, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
I’d be seriously tempted by Vieira if he’s interested.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2040 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »

Good, no time to lose and I think the fans won't accept another close season of faffing

WBArgo

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2041 on: May 15, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »
For me, Hughton is another one in the mould of Pulis/Bruce et al - maybe good for getting a possible promotion but the football is pretty ugly and honestly I don't think his style is too dissimilar to that of Pulis at all.

I suppose it shows a bit of ambition though compared to someone like Appleton where Hughton would be on much bigger wages, which hopefully would set the tone for our transfers/spending too - as opposed to a season of bargain basement signings.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2042 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
For me, Hughton is another one in the mould of Pulis/Bruce et al - maybe good for getting a possible promotion but the football is pretty ugly and honestly I don't think his style is too dissimilar to that of Pulis at all.

I suppose it shows a bit of ambition though compared to someone like Appleton where Hughton would be on much bigger wages, which hopefully would set the tone for our transfers/spending too - as opposed to a season of bargain basement signings.
It's another boring candidate. Not for me thanks
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2043 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »
What exactly is Dowling supposed to have done by now which would be remotely visible to any of us?  Scouting and drawing up a target list and there is no doubt that he will have done that, but how far can he go until we appoint our new manager and until we know who we can sell and at what price?
How about being without a manager since early Febuary for a starter ? , they knew Moore was struggling for months before he got sacked.
Unless I'm wrong that is part of his job.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2044 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
My own reasons for doubting Dowling are down to the Jan transfer window (his 1st in charge of the club) and his handling of our managerial situation.

In Jan, he failed to replace Barnes which was always key and failed to bring in another forward (which ultimately did for us in the play offs). He made the Holgate signing early (and he performed ok) but his following 3 signings were all below average (i'd still be tempted to say Johansson was disappointing, despite eventually having some limited impact).

He then sacked Moore and didn't have any plan to replace him in what was poorly handled situation.

He may come good, but the early signs worry me.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2045 on: May 15, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
I didn't think about the Hughton-Rodriguez point. Bit of a concern really as J-Rod may have been one of pur easier players to keep. Would expect us to sell if Hughton comes in.
Boing Boing

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2046 on: May 15, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »
Unfortunatley, I have little confidence that we will appoint the right person due to who is currently calling the shots.

One of two things will happen. We will appoint a low wage type coach Appleton, McInnes (who we would not even consider had he not previously played for us).

Or we will be linked with lots of interesting names (Vieira being one example), we will take too long in getting them in and we will panic and end up with someone like Fat Sam.

It's the Albion way.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Prediction, we are heading for a hung parliament

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2048 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
My own reasons for doubting Dowling are down to the Jan transfer window (his 1st in charge of the club) and his handling of our managerial situation.

In Jan, he failed to replace Barnes which was always key and failed to bring in another forward (which ultimately did for us in the play offs). He made the Holgate signing early (and he performed ok) but his following 3 signings were all below average (i'd still be tempted to say Johansson was disappointing, despite eventually having some limited impact).

He then sacked Moore and didn't have any plan to replace him in what was poorly handled situation.

He may come good, but the early signs worry me.

Whilst I agree with parts of your post, yes we failed to replaces Barnes' contribution, but we didn't fail to replace Barnes in terms of players. We brought in Murphy and Montero - many fans included myself were excited by those signings as on paper they looked as though they would offer us something going forward and between them could have potentially filled the void left by Barnes.

It's easy to look back now and criticise the recruitment, but at the time, Montero and Murphy were seen as decent enough signings.

Now is the time he has to show us what he's about - its a huge summer for us, but I also remember saying that last season and we somehow managed to just paper over cracks and avoid doing the necessary rebuild the club needs.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2049 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
Viera is a very interesting one. You'd hope he'd get rid our all of our midfielders and start again!