West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 187065 times)

Online Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1950 on: May 13, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
Has Appleton ever achieved a thing in coaching or management? Does he have a reputation for any style of play? McIness is the same, that Aberdeen side are atrocious.

It completely baffles me how he gets linked every time. Can we just go out and get a good manager who wants to play in a clear and (relatively) positive way?

I would sooner have Clarke back here than McInnes if you had to take a manager from Scotland.

Online timdon

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1951 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »
Has Appleton ever achieved a thing in coaching or management? Does he have a reputation for any style of play? McIness is the same, that Aberdeen side are atrocious.

It completely baffles me how he gets linked every time. Can we just go out and get a good manager who wants to play in a clear and (relatively) positive way?

Last permanent managerial job was with Oxford. 45% win rate and 2 cup finals. McKinnes' time at Aberdeen 56% win rate and 3 cup finals.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:35:18 PM by timdon »

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #1952 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
I cannot see how Hughton is bad and or good as I think I seen argued on this thread compared to Monk. Two Coaches with very similar outlooks (generally negative) and neither could be argued to represent ambition whatever that means in the context of this appointment. Neither will fundamentally change anything (although not sure any coach will) but both play the sort of pragmatic football which might be best described as "Old School British"

Both are the sort of regressive short term fix which might lead to promotion but as soon as we reach the Premier League will quickly settle back into the 40 point grind until fans get fed up with watching it or it fails and we are back where we started.

I would hope for someone a little bit more progressive in their approach.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1953 on: May 14, 2019, 01:43:17 AM »
 ;) Hughton has gone around the blocks a few times...looks a bit stressed out...needs a holiday. Great Championship manager though.

I personally would be happy with Monk...think he can do a reasonable job.

Offline colinmax

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1954 on: May 14, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
Hughton may have been a good shout last year but apparently he spent a lot of money on 3 strikers who have only scored a total of 4 goals and he has reverted to Pulis tactics.
One of our best managers was Big Ron who we plucked from Cambridge United so would Ryan Lowe of Bury be a good shout?
Bury have been promoted each of the last two seasons and he was voted manager of the season for league 2.

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1955 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:09 AM »
British coaches: Pearson, Mowbray, Monk.
Foreign coaches: Bilic, Jokanovic

Either go safeish or pluck a manager from lower league and see if they can step up.

Who know's with this board?
One think we do know is that the next manager will be appointed with the purse strings being the primary consideration.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1956 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39:28 AM »
British coaches: Pearson, Mowbray, Monk.
Foreign coaches: Bilic, Jokanovic

Either go safeish or pluck a manager from lower league and see if they can step up.

Who know's with this board?
One think we do know is that the next manager will be appointed with the purse strings being the primary consideration.
Mickey Mellon? How many promotions now with Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Tranmere? Surprised he hasn't had a shot higher up yet. He was being spoken about on Talksport this morning, a lot of what he has done has gone under the radar.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Offline AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1957 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:53 AM »
Mickey Mellon? How many promotions now with Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Tranmere? Surprised he hasn't had a shot higher up yet. He was being spoken about on Talksport this morning, a lot of what he has done has gone under the radar.

There are quite a few decent managers in the lower leagues who often work on a shoe string budget yet still achieve promotion etc. The Cowley Brothers, Micky Mellon, Paul Tisdale, Lee Bowyer etc are all people i'd look at. Give me one of those any day over Allardyce, Moyes etc
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1958 on: May 14, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
The club needs a shake-up, a change in the way it goes about things on and off the pitch. Yet it's clear from a lot of the suggestions here that a lot of people want to continue the malaise - just going for people who were here before will do that, no matter how long they've been gone. Part of the issue with Clarke for example, was that he couldn't turn it around when things went bad.

If we're going to be functioning on a lower budget we need to think long term, appoint our own Farke, or Cowley, or whoever. Don't just go 'we need to get promotion this season' and proceed to handicap ourselves every step of the way as we have done this year.

Offline phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1959 on: May 14, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
Swansea given permission for Brighton to talk to Potter so that's one off the 'list'
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Online Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1960 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
Swansea given permission for Brighton to talk to Potter so that's one off the 'list'

Having a look on twitter, a lot of Swansea fans believed they would have probably been relegated this year if it wasn't for Potter. Thought of highly by their fans.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1961 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
I don't understand how anybody can advocate for a serial failure like Monk instead of Hughton who has got promotions under his belt.

Just because Monk is younger doesn't make him better.

I don't know who was in charge of recruitment at BHA, but scoring goals was a problem for them, and it is always hard to find a good, consistent scorer when you are in the prem.

He bought the Dutch league top scorer and failed, but pochetinno bought the similar vincent jansson for a similar price but he's a genius.

You are only as good as as your strikers when you are in the prem.

If he can come in and organise us and get us up we can look at it then, but he's easily the best realistic candidate out there.

Online Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1962 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
I think a lot of people are forgetting Dan Ashworth is at Brighton now so would imagine he is looking to implent his plans.

The appointment of Potter would again prove that, if you look at how Potter wants his teams to play, its pretty similar to all the England set ups nowadays.

Ashworth clearly has a vision and Hughton wouldn't have been part of that.

I would have Hughton here as he would help us next season if we are to remain in this league, however with the whole Bong incident and how close he came to our job last time, I cant imagine him coming easily.

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #1963 on: May 14, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
I think those turning our nose up at Hughton might need a reality check.

The club have no vision - there is no forward plan.

The club requires a major overhaul of its playing staff in the summer given we are so reliant on short term loans.

Hughton would be an excellent choice to ensure that ship is steady and assist a board who continuously make the wrong decision.

I would worry next year about where we will end up if we go for a relatively unproven, uninspiring choice like Appleton etc.

Whilst our owners long term plans are unknown - I would happily take the steady eddie who has a better record than anyone we have been linked with - or will be linked with.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1964 on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »
I don't understand how anybody can advocate for a serial failure like Monk instead of Hughton who has got promotions under his belt.

Just because Monk is younger doesn't make him better.

I don't know who was in charge of recruitment at BHA, but scoring goals was a problem for them, and it is always hard to find a good, consistent scorer when you are in the prem.

He bought the Dutch league top scorer and failed, but pochetinno bought the similar vincent jansson for a similar price but he's a genius.

You are only as good as as your strikers when you are in the prem.

If he can come in and organise us and get us up we can look at it then, but he's easily the best realistic candidate out there.

I wouldn't go near Monk. He did a poor job at Middlesbrough and their fans weren't impressed with him at all. He did OK at Blues this season, but the expectations of him weren't particularly high. I'm also not convinced he could rebuild a team to challenge for promotion.

Hughton has to be one of the outstanding candidates IMO, if we don't get promoted then I would be very happy if he was appointed our next manager.

Offline Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1965 on: May 14, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »
I'd be surprised if we went for Hughton just based on recent history with the Bong/JRod incident and subsequent comments about crowd taunting etc.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Online alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1966 on: May 14, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
I think a lot of people are forgetting Dan Ashworth is at Brighton now so would imagine he is looking to implent his plans.

The appointment of Potter would again prove that, if you look at how Potter wants his teams to play, its pretty similar to all the England set ups nowadays.

Ashworth clearly has a vision and Hughton wouldn't have been part of that.

I would have Hughton here as he would help us next season if we are to remain in this league, however with the whole Bong incident and how close he came to our job last time, I cant imagine him coming easily.

Apparently Swansea have rejected Brighton's approach for Potter.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1967 on: May 14, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »
Apparently Swansea have rejected Brighton's approach for Potter.

Of course they have.  They’ll be waiting for Potter to demand the move.  He apparently has a buyout clause so it’s possibly just a fight over compensation for his support staff and agreement over him taking players with him.

Fully expecting Potter to be in place within a week.

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1968 on: May 14, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
I'd be surprised if we went for Hughton just based on recent history with the Bong/JRod incident and subsequent comments about crowd taunting etc.

Far too much is being made of the Bong incident. Any manager, of any club, would defend his player in such circumstances.

Online gazberg

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1969 on: May 14, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »
Think JOhn Percy said its a touch over 3m for the whole backroom so once they agree to pay it, which they will, its done.

Offline Slimbo

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1970 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
Neil Lennon is sitting in the lower East Stand tonight
I drink to forget but I don't forget to drink

Offline Scooby Doo

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1971 on: May 14, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
A lot depends on where we are playing to be honest.

Offline lewisant

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1972 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:35 PM »
A lot depends on where we are playing to be honest.

Championship.

Step up Hughton

Offline frazzle

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1973 on: May 14, 2019, 11:01:02 PM »
Don’t want Hughton. Doesn’t matter who I want right enough.

Online Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #1974 on: May 14, 2019, 11:01:43 PM »
We need a manager with guts and vision.
I don't think that there is a British manager out there, who fits the bill