West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 195893 times)

Online tuamigos

• WBA Manager
Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1400 on: April 11, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »
AN does not inspire me I have to say. I was hoping for a foreign coach with vision. Because, sadly, I see no British ones who fall into that category (except Howe who would not consider us) If it is him he will have my 100% support. I could not consider not renewing my ST. Sad to say I love the club and that never changes. Just make an appointment please!!

You could get pep in with this board and he would struggle
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1401 on: April 11, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
Does anybody know what coaching staff work with Neil? Has he worked with the same people in each job?

I’m sure he worked with Alan Irvine at Norwich. Not 100% sure whether Irvine was inherited or recruited by Neil. Neil from memory fell out with the board because he wanted to sell Hoolahan when they just been relegated which wasn’t allowed to happen.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1402 on: April 11, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Tim Klose / Pritchard / Pinto / Olivera are all quality IMO

We had Pritchard, he's rubbish. Klose is decent but that's a hefty price tag for him. The other 2 weren't great.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline darbolina

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1403 on: April 11, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/former-norwich-city-manager-alex-neil-moving-on-at-preston-1-5890382

Interesting read.....maybe he learned something from Norwich he could bring to us if he comes?

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1404 on: April 11, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
this is the most relevant bit, if he comes, i hope he pins this up in his office

We had a lot of players at the club for longer than five years, and we needed to start afresh,” Neil said in an interview shortly after his dismissal.

“Thirteen of the 24 players in the first-team squad were over 30, and when we went up the last time they were 28, which is significantly different, it’s when you’re at your peak.

“We needed to re-build and the one thing I blame myself for is that I re-signed all the players to get us back up because they’d done it in the past. I should have taken more time and looked to alter the squad at that stage.”
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1405 on: April 11, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
this is the most relevant bit, if he comes, i hope he pins this up in his office

We had a lot of players at the club for longer than five years, and we needed to start afresh,” Neil said in an interview shortly after his dismissal.

“Thirteen of the 24 players in the first-team squad were over 30, and when we went up the last time they were 28, which is significantly different, it’s when you’re at your peak.

“We needed to re-build and the one thing I blame myself for is that I re-signed all the players to get us back up because they’d done it in the past. I should have taken more time and looked to alter the squad at that stage.”

It's all well and good until he gets to training and sees the old guard: Brunt, Morrison, Barry are the only players with any technical ability with a football at feet, then offers them all new deals.  ;D

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1406 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »

We had Pritchard, he's rubbish. Klose is decent but that's a hefty price tag for him. The other 2 weren't great.

We did but we hardly played him. I thought he was pretty decent down at our place this year. Certainly better than what we put out.
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline Ross

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1407 on: April 11, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
We did but we hardly played him. I thought he was pretty decent down at our place this year. Certainly better than what we put out.

Gnabry/ Valero syndrome. Fair to say we shouldn’t judge players ability on their time with us.

I say he will be a good appointment given the situation. Breaks the mould of former players and old has beens. We should get behind him

Offline Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #1408 on: April 11, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
He arrived on loan after a bad ankle injury at Spurs , I'm totally against signing injured players like we do but thats another topic.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1409 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:15 PM »
Gnabry/ Valero syndrome. Fair to say we shouldn’t judge players ability on their time with us.

I say he will be a good appointment given the situation. Breaks the mould of former players and old has beens. We should get behind him

Gnabry, he was a waste of space.

Whats he up to now? Oh wait......... ;D
What have we done?
And what have we become

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1410 on: April 11, 2019, 03:37:20 PM »
Gnabry, he was a waste of space.

Whats he up to now? Oh wait......... ;D

To be fair to TP, Wenger didn't give him the time of day either...

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1411 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »

To be fair to TP, Wenger didn't give him the time of day either...

I know, but someone did and look at him now.....

Getting back to the next manager, I quite like the idea of Alex Neil, I am just interested to see if the board can actually pull this off or make yet another horlicks of the whole situation.
What have we done?
And what have we become

Offline gerry m

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1412 on: April 11, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »

Getting back to the next manager, I quite like the idea of Alex Neil, I am just interested to see if the board can actually pull this off or make yet another horlicks of the whole situation.

Hopefully it can be done but following comments on here and Facebook he needs to hit the ground running or he will face the wrath of the fans. You could understand why some coaches would give the job the swerve.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1413 on: April 11, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »

Nice try but false news.

No way Jenkins'd splash out on Horlicks  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1414 on: April 11, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
Neil wouldn’t be my choice but some of the comments seem unfounded. Neil being compared to Irvine is unfair. They are Scottish and managed Preston but in terms of achievements it ends there. Sir Alex and David Moyes were Scottish and managed Man Utd...
Jokanovic got Fulham up and then struggled in the prem which seems similar to Neil too. I realize Jokanovic got 2 promotions but hardly pulled up trees in the prem with a lot more money at his disposal than Neil had.

Offline darbolina

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1415 on: April 11, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »

Thats the bit that resonated for me too. Whoever comes needs to rebuild by saying goodbye to about 10 players and replace them with players with energy, quality and desire.......good luck with our board as this will be done on a budget hence why Neil is probably favoured........?

Offline miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1416 on: April 11, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
I honestly doubt any appointment will be made until we know exactly what league we'll be in next season.

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1417 on: April 11, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
I think the double six they were hoping to roll with James Shan came out as a 2 and a 1 [no disrespect to JS there].

If we had won our last two games I am convinced we would not be having this conversation.
If he had picked more adventurous teams and we had lost one and drawn one by actually playing football I think we would still be treading water on this.

Offline frazzle

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1418 on: April 11, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
Neil looks like a decent proposition. I’ve always thought he has something about him. No doubt many on this forum will tear into him from the outset as usual.

I can’t see him coming this season though. I doubt anyone will come in, but I live in hope.

Offline Mo

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1419 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »
It’s up to Neil and the club to prove me wrong but I can’t help feel this story has been leaked when the board know the fans are getting very restless. Two home games in a week where they are likely to get the bird . I wonder .

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1420 on: April 11, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
I just hope the golum lookalike brings us the precious in the play off final.

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #1421 on: April 11, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
Just need a person (male or female) with guts!

Online tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #1422 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
I'm glad he's apparently wanted assurances about budget and his involvement in transfers before he does anything

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/11690600/alex-neil-wants-assurances-over-west-brom-managerial-job-if-he-is-to-leave-preston

Our board have hung enough managers out to dry
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1423 on: April 12, 2019, 07:49:51 AM »
I would be really pleased with this appointment. Think he has an excellent track record, has enough experience and think he could really achieve promotion here over this season or next. Just hope the Board give him the time he needs.

By his own admission he has made mistakes, as we all do at work. Hopefully he's learned from them and getting a manager in at this stage will give him potentially 7 or 8 games to assess the squad for its strengths and deficiencies and hit the ground running in the summer. Something we haven't been able to do for a while.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1424 on: April 12, 2019, 07:54:25 AM »
I'm glad he's apparently wanted assurances about budget and his involvement in transfers before he does anything

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/11690600/alex-neil-wants-assurances-over-west-brom-managerial-job-if-he-is-to-leave-preston

Our board have hung enough managers out to dry

I am pleased that Alex Neil is thinking this way. Whilst we are at it, how about the board giving the fans some assurances as well before holding guns to our heads about buying our season tickets before the season has finished or lose our seat...... >:(
What have we done?
And what have we become