West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Football Rule Changes  (Read 2356 times)

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
Re: Football Rule Changes
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Brian, as an ex-ref, I would like your input on this please,
What is to stop a ref going into each dressing room pre-match and telling both teams that he will be applying the laws of the game rigorously particularly around swearing, diving, intimidation of officials, time-wasting and then going out onto the pitch and doing so with rigour.

His egotistical need to be popular.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline MarkW

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
Brian, as an ex-ref, I would like your input on this please,
What is to stop a ref going into each dressing room pre-match and telling both teams that he will be applying the laws of the game rigorously particularly around swearing, diving, intimidation of officials, time-wasting and then going out onto the pitch and doing so with rigour.

I thought both teams do get briefed by referees at the beginning of each match (maybe just the season?) about what is being looked for?
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline BRIAN

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
It would probably go into one ear and out the other. Swearing is difficult to deal with unless it is directed at an official. I think that talking to the linesman has been outlawed so the Fourth Official gets an ear-bashing. That should be an offence as the official is supposed to keep an eye on the game in case the ref needs his advice. The most talked about is handball. It used to be easy to deal with but is  now the most confusing one in the game. The players do not know nor do pundits as we seem to get various opinions. There is talk about a revision but it is a simple rule. BALL TO HAND NO FOUL. HAND TO BALL FOUL.

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
Handball rules among those changed by Ifab for next season

A bit more on changes to the handball rule

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47429316
“We create success or failure on the pitch primarily by our thoughts.”

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
New Rules

“Remember contested drop balls? When the referee would drop the ball between two players, creating a split second of chaos.

We’ve seen less and less of those in recent years and now they have finally been cut out of the game altogether.

Football’s rulemakers, the IFAB,  have decided that contested drop balls will be no more, replacing them with the uncontested drop balls we have become accustomed to in recent years.”

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
My Saturday team had our first pre season game the weekend and the goal kick rule was put in place, it's going to take some getting used to, everytime the keeper played it short I automatically assumed the ref would pull it up.

Offline Andio

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 03:20:05 PM »
My Saturday team had our first pre season game the weekend and the goal kick rule was put in place, it's going to take some getting used to, everytime the keeper played it short I automatically assumed the ref would pull it up.

As a match official myself, I have done a few pre season games with this new law and it's working well in my opinion.

Our u18's were using it to full effect against Colchester on Saturday.

Still getting the shouts from onlookers saying that the ball never left the 18 yard box at the moment which is understandble.

Offline BalisPen

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »
I wish the offside rule would go back to the old rule of there being clear air between defender and attacker to be offside.

Sick and tired of seeing this toe offsides, give the attacker the benefit as we all want to see more goals.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 02:26:59 PM »
Outline Summary of Law Changes for Season 2019/20

Source: https://www.efl.com/siteassets/image/201920/referees-201920/ifab-rules-changes.pdf

Online timdon

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »
I can see this one being abused by goalkeepers and causing some confusion. What on earth constitutes unsuccessfully kicking or trying to kick a ball? How hard do you have to try?

"If, after a   throw-in or deliberate   pass   from   a team-mate, the goalkeeper unsuccessfully kicks or tries to kick the ball to release it into   play,   the goalkeeper can then handle the ball"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:22:44 PM by timdon »

Offline ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2019, 10:42:37 AM »
I can see this one being abused by goalkeepers and causing some confusion. What on earth constitutes unsuccessfully kicking or trying to kick a ball? How hard do you have to try?

"If, after a   throw-in or deliberate   pass   from   a team-mate, the goalkeeper unsuccessfully kicks or tries to kick the ball to release it into   play,   the goalkeeper can then handle the ball"

That one jumped out at me too. If the ball hits a divot and takes an unusual course then it may be acceptable to readjust and handle the ball but anything else would just seem like at worse - play-acting and at best rewarding very poor play.