Dirty yellow and black scumbags
54 (39.1%)
Dirty blue-nosed scumbags
0 (0%)
any other scumbags
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Voting closed: March 20, 2019, 11:46:11 AM

Author Topic: who are our "local rivals"  (Read 4851 times)

baggiedom

• WBA Newbie

Re: who are our "local rivals"
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 10:02:33 AM »
Vile for me, living in South brum started going late seventies then wolves but dont mind blouse tbh
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:44:47 PM by kris_boing »

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »
For those who are saying most Albion fans hate Wolves well according to the poll that's not the case on here over 60 % at the minute say vile.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
Reading this thead genuinely saddens me. Not because others don't agree with my point of view or perceptions but because it appears I've made an unfortunate mistake. It appears I've spent my whole football supporting life despising the wrong local team. By local I mean the one on the doorstep of the team I chose to support. What a waste of time, effort and potential friendships that's been. Nobody elses fault though, mine.

Wow, how stupid of me. I didn't even realise who my real rivals were, much less that it all depends on how many supporters get their faces broken or how many boys in blue are there to witness it. No hope for me and I may as well jack the whole lot in. What a genuine waste all those local arguments and debates were, how very short sighted and parochial of me when I should have been looking at local football rivalry in a wider and more national context.

All this time and I should have been taking 25 mile round trips by train to row about football with complete strangers whose clubs mean absolutely nothing to me on a day to day basis. I didn't even know local football rivalry was defined by what you're told as opposed to what I feel inside. My life experiences mean nothing and I should have read a book about it all. Better still if I'd had access to the internet sooner I could have let other people work it all out for me as I'm clearly very stupid.

Looking on the bright side I'll be financially better off. Life may be a little duller to start with but I'll get to save myself all that angst and general inconvenience too. I may even find something more interesting to do so it's not all bad. Who knows, unlikely though it is I may find I actually get on with the wife. That said though her dad's a Doghead so it's probably a non starter. May as well draw up the divorce papers now then. Must remember to apologise to my son too for having influenced his choices at an early age. His life would have been so much easier if I'd brought him up as an Erdington Viler like his local school pals.

Fknl, the poor lad.

Well b@ll@cks to that, SOTV and FTW. COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2019, 10:40:20 AM »
Just looking at the poll and response on the thread, sorry if I’ve missed it, but who was the individual who voted other and who was the other? Just curious
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It’s only painful to others.

The same applies, when you are stupid

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2019, 11:44:00 AM »
From South Birmingham, and don't really know any Wolves fans, so Villa is and will always be the biggest game for me. The feeling of winning on Saturday was better than any Wolves victory, even the 5-1.

But when asked who our biggest rivalry is... I simply say we have two main local rivals, and I have enough hate in me for the both of them  :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:51:54 AM by robbo_wba »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
Just looking at the poll and response on the thread, sorry if I’ve missed it, but who was the individual who voted other and who was the other? Just curious
wasn't me but Walsall isn't a choice in the poll so maybe that's the other.

kris_boing

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
It all depends on where you were brought up IMO.

If you are from Birmingham then more than likely you will see Villa as your rivals.

But if we take the Black Country which is split into the 4 areas of Sandwell, Dudley, Wolverhampton and Walsall.

If for instance you are an Albion fan growing up in Bilston or Wednesfield areas of Wolverhampton you'll see Wolves as your main rivals. 

The same can be said for Dudley areas Sedgley, Coseley, Tipton, Kingswinford, Brierley Hill, Netherton and to a lesser extent Stourbridge.  Most will see Wolves as their main rivals.

When you start moving to across towards Sandwell and West Brom itself as well as Halesowen, Blackheath, Smethwick and Oldbury I'd say it changes to Villa. 

If you live in Walsall or Wednesbury I'd say its pretty even between Wolves and Villa but further east you go to Great Barr and Aldridge it will be mainly Villa.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »

If you are from Birmingham then more than likely you will see Villa as your rivals.

But if we take the Black Country which is split into the 4 areas of Sandwell, Dudley, Wolverhampton and Walsall.

If for instance you are an Albion fan growing up in Bilston or Wednesfield areas of Wolverhampton you'll see Wolves as your main rivals. 

The same can be said for Dudley areas Sedgley, Coseley, Tipton, Kingswinford, Brierley Hill, Netherton and to a lesser extent Stourbridge.  Most will see Wolves as their main rivals.

When you start moving to across towards Sandwell and West Brom itself as well as Halesowen, Blackheath, Smethwick and Oldbury I'd say it changes to Villa. 

If you live in Walsall or Wednesbury I'd say its pretty even between Wolves and Villa but further east you go to Great Barr and Aldridge it will be mainly Villa.

I'm Rowley Regis and its Wolves for me and pretty much all my mates around my age also the Albion fans in Tividale see it as WOlves

Just over the other side of the Wolverhampton Road though in to Langley and Smethwick a lot of my mates that side see the Villa as theres

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
I'm Rowley Regis and its Wolves for me and pretty much all my mates around my age also the Albion fans in Tividale see it as WOlves

Just over the other side of the Wolverhampton Road though in to Langley and Smethwick a lot of my mates that side see the Villa as theres

I live down the road from you and its Villa  ;) :D

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm split 50/50 on this. Coming from a family of Albion fans on both sides of the family from West Brom and Smethwick, it was ALWAYS the Villa, I can't remember ever hearing the Wolves mentioned in terms of a rivalry in our household. The Wolves only ever became an issue for me from 1989/90, Bully's last minute winner for the dingles at The Hawthorns that season being a catalyst for this. The Wolves rivalry intensified from there and throughout the 90's it was 100% THE main rivalry. Living in Stourbridge throughout the 2000's only heightened this for me. It would be interesting to see the results from this poll if we happened NOT to be in the same league as the Villa this season and happened to be in the same league as the Wolves, I think the levels of rivalry fluctuate according to who we happen to be playing the most during a particular era. To summarise for me personally, historically and traditionally it has to be the Villa, from 1989 onwards I would say it's been the Wolves.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
wasn't me but Walsall isn't a choice in the poll so maybe that's the other.

Or perhaps Coventry.

Whoever it was, please put me out of my misery, I need to know!!!!  :D
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It’s only painful to others.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »
Or perhaps Coventry.

Whoever it was, please put me out of my misery, I need to know!!!!  :D

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

It could just have easily been a passing Viler or a Doghead voting for the Albion  ;) .

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

It could just have easily been a passing Viler or a Doghead voting for the Albion  ;) .

But I NEED to know, which is more demanding than want at this time!  ;)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
Villa for me and always has been!

Dont get me wrong I hate Wolves too but theres a special place of hate in my head and heart for the Villa scum

I pity Wolves, thats why I chucked 20p in the bucket on the Brummie Rd in the 80s

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »

There will always be exceptions to the rule, but this is essentially the crux of the matter.

You can't have a one sided rivalry though and if you did a poll of Villa season ticket holders who they consider their main rival, the vast majority would say Blues. That is a fact. They probably consider us second, but very few actually care that much. Check what they say about us

http://www.avillafan.com/29620/wba-west-bromwich-albion-rivalry/

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/so-aston-villas-main-rivalry-who-exactly-is-it-with-birmingham-or-west-brom/

It'll always be Wolves for me even if we stay in the Championship with Villa for the next 50 years and don't play the Dingles during that time, but like others have said I have enough hatred for both of them  :)

As for Blues, I don't actually mind them. I'm sure most Albion fans feel the same? Actually quite like them tbh. I've always seen us and them as "friends", and Wolves & Villa as scum
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:01:55 PM by Cunningham56 »

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
This could rumble on forever but below is a link from a villa fan which throws some light on the subject  he actually said...In fact, when I was a youngster I always thought of the Albion as Villa’s real local rivals – the Small Heath club never meant much to me after their abortive attempt to win the Cup in 1956, even though later on I did admire Jimmy Bloomfield and Trevor Francis.
http://www.astonvillalife.com/blog/2015/03/09/the-roots-of-a-deep-rivalry-in-the-midlands/

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »
Just wondered, am I allowed to support the Albion or do I need permission for that these days?

COYB  8) .

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
Just wondered, am I allowed to support the Albion or do I need permission for that these days?

COYB  8) .

No permission needed mate, until the day that the region's two biggest derbies; West Brom v Wolves and Villa v Blues is allowed to kick off at 15:00 on a Saturday. Then we'll re-assess  :D

What time did we kick off against the Vile on Saturday again? #justanothergame  :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:43:48 PM by Cunningham56 »

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »

I'll have to own up to sticking down my dislike of Man Utd as beating all other options. I can only ever remember twice wanting them to win a football match, so no prizes for guessing who I'll be supporting in the coming cup tie v Wolves.

But if I'm supposed to play the poll by the rules, I can stick down Villa instead.  :)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »
I'll have to own up to sticking down my dislike of Man Utd as beating all other options. I can only ever remember twice wanting them to win a football match, so no prizes for guessing who I'll be supporting in the coming cup tie v Wolves.

But if I'm supposed to play the poll by the rules, I can stick down Villa instead.  :)

Thank you, what a relief now I know, I'll be able to rest easy in my bed tonight  ;D

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
Thank you, what a relief now I know, I'll be able to rest easy in my bed tonight  ;D

I know the 'local' bit is not quite right,  but coming from High Wycombe, you're just as likely  to met a Man U fan as any other club. Except of course they never actually attend any matches.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
I live down the road from you and its Villa  ;) :D

Maybe a few of the old uns down Whiteheath that’s as much as I’ll give you ;D

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
Got to be the Vile I will never forget that weds night in April 1981 when we more or less handed them the title.
I still have nightmares over Batson's back pass I hate them with a passion

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »
Got to be the Vile I will never forget that weds night in April 1981 when we more or less handed them the title.
I still have nightmares over Batson's back pass I hate them with a passion

Me neither. We were much the better team as well. Add that to the fact that we beat Ipswich, we really couldn't have been more helpful to them.

KYA

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »

Me neither. We were much the better team as well. Add that to the fact that we beat Ipswich, we really couldn't have been more helpful to them.
Before the Batson pass I think they had one shot while we squandered a few chances never felt so sick and angry after a match.