Dirty yellow and black scumbags
54 (39.1%)
Dirty blue-nosed scumbags
0 (0%)
any other scumbags
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Voting closed: March 20, 2019, 11:46:11 AM

Author Topic: who are our "local rivals"  (Read 17812 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

who are our "local rivals"
« on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »
I'll start this off
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

Re: who are our "local rivals"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »
Scumbags? Isn't that the sort of 'abuse' that this site frowns upon? Tut tut. ;)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 12:04:35 PM »
Scumbags? Isn't that the sort of 'abuse' that this site frowns upon? Tut tut. ;)

Damn that spallchucker, I could have sworn I put football club  :D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
I’ve gone for the Vile for many, many reasons.

And not just because of the subliminal way the opinions are listed 😂👍
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »
I'd say it depends on when you started following Albion, and where you live / were bought up.

Familiarity bred contempt in the '90's with Wolves, but if you're an older fan it's still Villa. Likewise if you live Birmingham way and come across the Villa support more often, it's easier to hate the deluded bunch.

I hate Villa more than Wolves personally. I'm from Walsall, and started following Albion in the '90's, so I'm contradictory to the general rule. But my Mom's family is mostly Wolves (I followed my Dad up the Albion).

I think it's easier to have a bit of banter with the Wolves fans, they can give and take it a bit better. Villa fans still think they're Man United or something, and you can't convince them they aren't, which means they inevitably can't take it when we beat them. To thin skinned with delusions of grandeur.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
In fairness to my mind they're all our local rivals to a greater or lesser degree, even Blues. Know quite a few lads over Northfield and other areas who've no time at all for them. I just happen to have a greater dislike/rivalry for those in claret and blue. Likewise I respect the thoughts of others regarding the Wolves. Not a particular fan of Walsall or Coventry either to be honest but that's another story  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »
I'd say it depends on when you started following Albion, and where you live / were bought up.

Familiarity bred contempt in the '90's with Wolves, but if you're an older fan it's still Villa. Likewise if you live Birmingham way and come across the Villa support more often, it's easier to hate the deluded bunch.

I hate Villa more than Wolves personally. I'm from Walsall, and started following Albion in the '90's, so I'm contradictory to the general rule. But my Mom's family is mostly Wolves (I followed my Dad up the Albion).

I think it's easier to have a bit of banter with the Wolves fans, they can give and take it a bit better. Villa fans still think they're Man United or something, and you can't convince them they aren't, which means they inevitably can't take it when we beat them. To thin skinned with delusions of grandeur.
Started going in the 50’s so being from Wednesbury it could have been either but as the blunderers were the big name then its them and not the vile for me. Agree about the fans though, away from the match the banter was usually good with the Wolves lot but the Vile lot tended to be more arrogant and only capable of thinking inside their own little box. Must be something to do with being a big city club, Wolverhampton was only a town back then.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
Their's nothink better than bashing a team dressed in claret & blue, NOTHING

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
As others have pointed out it depends on your age and where you're from. It's always been the Vile for me personally but I don't think anyone can seriously deny that in recent times (since the early 90s at least) the rivalry with Wolves has been far more intense.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Vile for me having grown up in Newtown followed by the blue noses.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
Bought up In Selly Oak then Erdington for a bit, it’s Villa for me!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
Am in my 50s and grew up in Northfield, so it is without doubt Vile for me. Can’t stand the Dog Heads but think the rivalry is more intense for them, all their support see us as main rival whereas it’s not like that for all of us. Blues I don’t mind except when we play them, though when they were chucking cash about in the 90s they did become a bit arrogant. Hate Stoke, for a whole host of reasons on and off the pitch. Despise Man Utd too.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 02:59:27 PM »
I grew up a little detached from it all in the Coventry area. I was born in 1990, we hardly ever played Villa so it was always Wolves for me as we regularly played them. Even though lots of my wider family are Villa fans, they never gave me much stick so was never really bothered with Villa until our years in The Premier League with them.

My old man, always tells me that Villa are our real rivals, he grew up in West Bromwich and then Coventry in the 60s & 70s. As others have said, I guess it is down to personal experience, generations and geography. For me though, it's definitely Wolves and as Jacko has stated elsehere, I think outsiders see Albion v Wolves and Villa v Blues as the rivalries, rightly or wrongly.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
They're all our rivals!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 04:45:23 PM »
Being a soft southerner from High Wycombe, I don't have any strong hatreds for any Midland club. I dislike Man U with a passion, followed by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City. Only because all the lazy armchair fans support them and the national press are not interested in outsiders. But in all honesty, I think all the Midlands clubs get a raw deal from the national media.
But if there was one Midland club that likes to act big as if they are Champions League, when their level is a million miles away, it would have to be Villa.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
I always like topics like this, its nice to see different views from generations, areas, etc.

We are in the middle a bit, in that if all 4 teams were in the same league and fans were asked who they wanted to beat the most, the vast majority would say -

Blues would say Villa
Villa would say Blues
Wolves would say Albion

However Albion would say Villa or Wolves as this forum shows as a guide, its each to their own.

Going on my own experiences, Villa do hate us (despite pretending not too) but i dont think its the same level as they have for Blues, but i think given the choice they would want to beat Blues more than us.

The same as i think the Wolves as a whole hate us on another level to what we hate them because a number of our fans see Villa as the rivals, but those that do hate the Wolves, do so with a passion.

I started going 86/87 (think Villa got promoted that year) so all my schooldays Villa were better than us, i think we only played them twice in the FA cup and they battered us. They were always a bit arrogant but they did win cup finals, challenged for the league, played in europe so at least there was something to back it up, nowadays as league positions show they are worse than us and have been for many years now.

However it was Wolves i couldnt stand and still cant, back in the late 80's / 90's they were very flash and full of themselves, we were the peasants, yet they never seemed to achieve anything and we often beat them on the pitch. Under Sir Jack i remember Wolves school mates were giving it large to Man United fans about how Wolves were the next Blackburn, then in the 2000's, out round the pubs, Steve Morgan took over and they were the next Chelsea. Now Fosun (who the signs are good so far) they are going to be the next Man City, law of averages they may be right this time because the first two times round they were just very ordinary.

I know some good lads who are Wolves fans and they are enjoying taking the p**s at the moment as i did with them, but they do seem to have more than most type of fans who just go from being normal to deluded very quick, instead of enjoying it, they are already setting themselves up for a fall.

To give a recent example, i went out for a few saturday night to celebrate, big group of us (including a couple of Vilers) was all good fun, another group came in who i knew a few of them and 3 of them were Dingles. 1 of the Dingle lads who i knew was a good laugh, plenty of banter, however the other 2 come over then and the atmosphere turned a bit, we lost them a couple of times but they piped up again.

I am a easy going person but the one was just gobbing off so much nonsense i ended up explaining things to him like a kid because he was too think to understand.

(1) Me and the Vilers were talking about Robson-Kanu, all of a sudden the Dingle pipes up saying Albion fans were a embarrassment for singing the song we do about him as we nicked off it Wolves that they sing for Neves, i pointed out we had signed Kanu a year before they had Neves and had been singing it long before Neves had set foot in Wolverhampton, he still couldnt do the maths.

(2) He said we live in the past and go no better banter than the 1-5 at the Molineux, again i pointed out because until this season we have spent the previous seasons since then in a higher league, again he didnt seem to get it.

(3) The one lad (an acquaintance not a mate) i saw him a few years ago and he no longer went to games, had no interest in them, he said he didnt even look out for the results. I saw him saturday and he looked like had robbed the Wolves club shop and all of a sudden he went everywhere, had done all his life, he was there to witness the bad times (he wasnt born til 82 so didnt see the real bad times and he also had no idea who Stole Solbakken was) but now he is enjoying the 'glory days' as he suffered!

Just to give an idea he was telling the Villa lads and me to 'mind the gap' and what Wolves are achieving in the modern day game, after hearing it for the hundreth time i asked what exactly have they achieved as of now that Albion hadnt, that Villa hadnt, that Blues hadnt. It was all what they were going to do, so i said basically as of now, you have achieved nothing new (whilst pointing out Blues won the carling cup) Wolves may break into europe this season, they may win the FA Cup, they may end up conquering the world but until they do, i wish they would shut the f**k up.

If Wolves do as the Fosuns are saying, they will be lauding it for years to come, however see where they are in a few years, if they dont sell their best players (ie - Mendes who wants to make money), if they do attract another 20k fans for the ground upgrade, if they do win something and break europe then thats when they can act like they are doing now.

But i would say over 50% of the Wolves fans i have met / know were like the ones above, maybe i have just been unlucky but from my experience they do seem to have more than most clubs who are just general bell***s.

As a end note (didnt realise how much saturday annoyed me til i typed this!) when we left it looked like the dingle (acquaintance) was going to get a battering off a spurs fan (season ticket holder but a fruitcake) i went over to try and calm things down for his own sake, everyone in the pub had had enough of him by then and the spurs fan i knew and he is ok, but the dingle wouldnt listen, i tried to get him to leave but he then proceeded to start gobbing off even more so i just thought sod him!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:51:31 PM by Albion79 »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
Just did some trivia analysis on history between Albion, Vill and Wolves for myself really, but thought I would share it, you may think why and who could blame you! 😂

All three clubs have been competing in organised league football for 120 years

Each clubs record for how many years they have spent in each of the divisions is as follows

Albion
Football League - 4 years
Division One - 73 years
Division Two - 27 years
Division Three - 1 year
Division Four - 0 years
Championship - 4 years
Premier League - 11 years

Aston Villa
Division One - 77 years
Division Two - 10 years
Division Three - 2 year
Division Four - 0 years
Championship - 3 years
Premier League - 24 years

Wolverhampton Wanderers
Division One - 73 years
Division Two - 29 years
Division Three - 6 year
Division Four - 2 years
Championship - 4 years
Premier League - 2 years

To make it more interesting, well for me anyway, I awarded point to each team for the number of years in each division, as follows
Football League 1 point
Division One 4 points
Division Two 3 points
Division Three 2 points
Division Four 0 points
Championship 5 points
Premier League 6 points

Albion 465 points
Villa 505 points
Wolves 427 points

Additionally, over the 120 years, we have spent more years in a league with Villa than Wolves, as follows

Albion - Villa 70 years
Albion - Wolves 65 years
Villa - Wolves 58 years

Since the 1980’s, that’s 39 year to date, the figures are as follows

Albion - Villa 18 years
Albion - Wolves 12 years
Villa - Wolves 10 years

Doesn’t prove much, other than that we have spent more years in the same divisions as Villa rather than Wolves.

I’ll get we coot!

Ps, sorry Blues, I will do the analysis to include you if there is a high enough demand😂
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:24:56 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
As I have said previously due to age and where I grew up, it has always been Vile for me, though Wolves aren’t too far behind. I had never actually really met a Dog Head until about 1982 aged 15 when I started visiting step relatives in Bridgnorth. My step cousin who last time I had seen him was a Leeds fan was now a rabid home/away Wolves fan and hates Albion almost manically and couldn’t even say out name and could only refer to us as the pooh, I was bemused tbh as I didn’t really care about them. Going to games against them brought it home how much they hated us, and I know lots of Albion reciprocate, I still say it is more them than us in the rivalry. I don’t care who Vile hate, and I don’t care what dog headsheads think of us, I hate Vile the most.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
No contest Vile, I'm from Smethwick but has the family wasn't into football that didn't make a lot of difference.
The hatred came when I started work the vile were sh### like now in Div 2 and we were a decent team in Div 1 having just won the FA Cup the year before but the arrogance I saw astounded me and nothing much has changed since then if anything they got worse. if I won the Euro millions I would buy vile and sell all their best players and buy dross until they were playing and losing to Sutton Town that would be money well spent  ;D.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:26 PM »
As I have said previously due to age and where I grew up, it has always been Vile for me, though Wolves aren’t too far behind. I had never actually really met a Dog Head until about 1982 aged 15 when I started visiting step relatives in Bridgnorth. My step cousin who last time I had seen him was a Leeds fan was now a rabid home/away Wolves fan and hates Albion almost manically and couldn’t even say out name and could only refer to us as the pooh, I was bemused tbh as I didn’t really care about them. Going to games against them brought it home how much they hated us, and I know lots of Albion reciprocate, I still say it is more them than us in the rivalry. I don’t care who Vile hate, and I don’t care what dog headsheads think of us, I hate Vile the most.
You're right, Bridgnorth is real Dingle territory, I lived there for a while in the 70s, there were quite a lot of Albion fans, but we were always in the minority.  Not surprising I suppose, Wolves is the closest club.  So I put Wolves as the "local rivals".

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »
Being from the border of Warley and Quinton, I grew up with hardly any dingles, just Veela and blues. I was reminded daily that Veela were the greatest team the world had ever seen and so my hatred for them grew. Don't get me wrong, I hate the dingles as much as the next person, but the seals will always be the arch-enemy.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
I always like topics like this, its nice to see different views from generations, areas, etc.

We are in the middle a bit, in that if all 4 teams were in the same league and fans were asked who they wanted to beat the most, the vast majority would say -

Blues would say Villa
Villa would say Blues
Wolves would say Albion

However Albion would say Villa or Wolves as this forum shows as a guide, its each to their own.

Going on my own experiences, Villa do hate us (despite pretending not too) but i dont think its the same level as they have for Blues, but i think given the choice they would want to beat Blues more than us.

The same as i think the Wolves as a whole hate us on another level to what we hate them because a number of our fans see Villa as the rivals, but those that do hate the Wolves, do so with a passion.

I started going 86/87 (think Villa got promoted that year) so all my schooldays Villa were better than us, i think we only played them twice in the FA cup and they battered us. They were always a bit arrogant but they did win cup finals, challenged for the league, played in europe so at least there was something to back it up, nowadays as league positions show they are worse than us and have been for many years now.

However it was Wolves i couldnt stand and still cant, back in the late 80's / 90's they were very flash and full of themselves, we were the peasants, yet they never seemed to achieve anything and we often beat them on the pitch. Under Sir Jack i remember Wolves school mates were giving it large to Man United fans about how Wolves were the next Blackburn, then in the 2000's, out round the pubs, Steve Morgan took over and they were the next Chelsea. Now Fosun (who the signs are good so far) they are going to be the next Man City, law of averages they may be right this time because the first two times round they were just very ordinary.

I know some good lads who are Wolves fans and they are enjoying taking the p**s at the moment as i did with them, but they do seem to have more than most type of fans who just go from being normal to deluded very quick, instead of enjoying it, they are already setting themselves up for a fall.

To give a recent example, i went out for a few saturday night to celebrate, big group of us (including a couple of Vilers) was all good fun, another group came in who i knew a few of them and 3 of them were Dingles. 1 of the Dingle lads who i knew was a good laugh, plenty of banter, however the other 2 come over then and the atmosphere turned a bit, we lost them a couple of times but they piped up again.

I am a easy going person but the one was just gobbing off so much nonsense i ended up explaining things to him like a kid because he was too think to understand.

(1) Me and the Vilers were talking about Robson-Kanu, all of a sudden the Dingle pipes up saying Albion fans were a embarrassment for singing the song we do about him as we nicked off it Wolves that they sing for Neves, i pointed out we had signed Kanu a year before they had Neves and had been singing it long before Neves had set foot in Wolverhampton, he still couldnt do the maths.

(2) He said we live in the past and go no better banter than the 1-5 at the Molineux, again i pointed out because until this season we have spent the previous seasons since then in a higher league, again he didnt seem to get it.

(3) The one lad (an acquaintance not a mate) i saw him a few years ago and he no longer went to games, had no interest in them, he said he didnt even look out for the results. I saw him saturday and he looked like had robbed the Wolves club shop and all of a sudden he went everywhere, had done all his life, he was there to witness the bad times (he wasnt born til 82 so didnt see the real bad times and he also had no idea who Stole Solbakken was) but now he is enjoying the 'glory days' as he suffered!

Just to give an idea he was telling the Villa lads and me to 'mind the gap' and what Wolves are achieving in the modern day game, after hearing it for the hundreth time i asked what exactly have they achieved as of now that Albion hadnt, that Villa hadnt, that Blues hadnt. It was all what they were going to do, so i said basically as of now, you have achieved nothing new (whilst pointing out Blues won the carling cup) Wolves may break into europe this season, they may win the FA Cup, they may end up conquering the world but until they do, i wish they would shut the f**k up.

If Wolves do as the Fosuns are saying, they will be lauding it for years to come, however see where they are in a few years, if they dont sell their best players (ie - Mendes who wants to make money), if they do attract another 20k fans for the ground upgrade, if they do win something and break europe then thats when they can act like they are doing now.

But i would say over 50% of the Wolves fans i have met / know were like the ones above, maybe i have just been unlucky but from my experience they do seem to have more than most clubs who are just general bell***s.

As a end note (didnt realise how much saturday annoyed me til i typed this!) when we left it looked like the dingle (acquaintance) was going to get a battering off a spurs fan (season ticket holder but a fruitcake) i went over to try and calm things down for his own sake, everyone in the pub had had enough of him by then and the spurs fan i knew and he is ok, but the dingle wouldnt listen, i tried to get him to leave but he then proceeded to start gobbing off even more so i just thought sod him!

The crux of it. It's not a rivalry if the majority of one side isn't bothered.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »
Nothing comes close to the rivalry with Wolves. Don't really care about Villa and don't really mind Blues.

Actually hate Stoke more than Villa.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 07:32:14 PM »
Villa all day long.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 07:46:38 PM »

The crux of it. It's not a rivalry if the majority of one side isn't bothered.

Not sure whether you actually believe this or just on the wind up (I suspect its the latter), get yourself to Erdington, you can stop at mine for the weekend & I'll introduce you to some vilers, then tell me they don't hate us.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!