West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: After Match Debate  (Read 1870 times)

Offline NJS

• Baby Baggie
Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »
We looked sluggish (as usual) last night but we were far more compact and defensively sound. Tactically, I thought we were much better and pressed them more in the second half. Our midfield is so slow that we're wide open on the break and Swansea could/ should of have a couple of goals at least in the first half. That penalty - wow!

It was good to see us be more direct and stop the faffing around at the back. Johnstone had a great game and the defence looked so much more assured without having to worry about tippy tappying it around the back for 10mins which they've always looked uncomfortable with. Murphy's delivery is pretty poor to be honest, he gets into space with his pace and power then just cannot deliver. Hopefully he'll get better with confidence (maybe more than that though.....)

At this stage of the season, just keep winning, that's all - doesn't matter how. Before I'm shot down for that, we just don't have a midfield that can pass and move like Swansea's last night who look a tidy team (Potter obviously a good coach) so we need to work with what we have this season and try to rebuild that midfield in the summer!!

Potter was my choice for our manager at the start of the season.  Maybe we should try and prise him away from Swansea rather than getting Neil from PNE.  Certainly our youngsters would be able to play his style of football.  Then we can retire our current, glacially slow midfield.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:07:56 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
Agree with this. If Swansea had a decent striker, or a bit more experience in their team, then we would have been in a lot of trouble last night. They have some very good youngsters who were playing it through us all game.

Brunt's free kick was luck, and if the keeper is stronger at the corner then that doesn't go in. We did OK, but we reverted to doing what the players want and we still weren't convincing. Think we need to be a bit more honest with ourselves judging by what some are saying.

Everyone's version of honesty if different though. Personally i think you've been quite harsh in your review. Saying "if" doesn't really mean anything. The fact is Swansea didn't take their chances and we did. SJ made some truly remarkable saves last night, and I've been one of his biggest critics throughout this season.

And with regards Brunts free kick, if you don't put it on target that type of thing can't happen. That's why you put it on target.

Personally I think Swansea had the decisions last night but they couldn't make them count.

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• WBA Coach
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
Just watched it again on EFL.
A definite penalty for us. (Referee's guide dog didn't point it out to him).).
We were still lucky a lot of times though.
The gods must have been smiling on us.

Offline TheBrom

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »
I know it's about opinions, but I'm not sure how you got to this conclusion. We were quite literally the opposite in terms of play both in and out of possession. We didn't pass out from the back and we closed Swansea down in their own third. SJ seemed to have more confidence and the players seemed to have more of an idea of positions.

I agree Swansea posed a large threat, but that's football. SJ pulled off about 4 top saves, they missed a penalty and hit the post.

Except we did still pass it out from the back.. We only really started going long after Dawson went off injured.