West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: R Kelly  (Read 1321 times)

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
R Kelly
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »
It looks like R Kelly is to be removed from streaming services. I'm not a massive fan of his, but I don't understand the rules anymore.

Why is it one rule for some and another for others?

Seems he's done some naughty things and it's being investigated, but what about John Lennon? Admitted being violent to women. RHCP singer done for sexual violence? Marylin Manson, Jim Morrison...the list goes on.

It seems as though some people get away with things simply because of who they are.

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
Re: R Kelly
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:57:35 PM »
Seems to have become persona non grata following accusations of under age sex.

Ostracized in similar fashion to Kevin Spacey?

Can't really say I'm overly familiar with either story though to be fair so perhaps unfair of me to comment further.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »

Can't really say I'm overly familiar with either story though to be fair so perhaps unfair of me to comment further.
R Kelly’s been a known entity for decades, they are only acting now as it advances their image to do so. I mean, wasn’t his first wife back in the 90’s 15 or something?

It also is unfortunate as the OP says that it will implicate a lot of older musicians not just for sexual assault (goodbye Chuck Berry) but for any misdemeanour companies don’t like, after all, how many rappers have ties to previous gang violence? Heck, Snoop Dogg was on trial for murder once upon a time!

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »
R Kelly’s been a known entity for decades, they are only acting now as it advances their image to do so. I mean, wasn’t his first wife back in the 90’s 15 or something?

It also is unfortunate as the OP says that it will implicate a lot of older musicians not just for sexual assault (goodbye Chuck Berry) but for any misdemeanour companies don’t like, after all, how many rappers have ties to previous gang violence? Heck, Snoop Dogg was on trial for murder once upon a time!

No idea chap.

Bit cheeky of him to assume he's 'Our' Kelly though ay it  ;D  ;) ?

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 01:54:34 PM »

Depending on which state he lives in, it wouldn't necessarily be an offence as only Delaware and New Jersey have an outright ban on child marriage. I think it's something like 17 states that have no lower age to marry. Only one person needs to be over 18 for the marriage to be legal in a lot of States too.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Depending on which state he lives in, it wouldn't necessarily be an offence as only Delaware and New Jersey have an outright ban on child marriage. I think it's something like 17 states that have no lower age to marry. Only one person needs to be over 18 for the marriage to be legal in a lot of States too.
i have since Wiki’d it and it was in the state of Illinois where parental consent must be given under 18, which in their marriage (though both deny it happened) it wasn’t and apparently records were forged stating she was 18, he was 27 by the way...

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:07:06 PM »
Having had a quick scan through things online the allegations run deeper than under aged marriage.

Offline 17GD

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
What ever he's done, he's not the only one, so he shouldn't be the only one banned. It's like it seems to be the cool, holier than though thing to do now - when they get into trouble, apologise for working with them and pretend you've never done anything wrong.

It's like celebs who say they were sexually assaulted from decades ago. I've been sexually assaulted but no one cares because I'm not rich and famous and would probably be laughed at if i went to the police over it. Different rules for different people.

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
What ever he's done, he's not the only one, so he shouldn't be the only one banned. It's like it seems to be the cool, holier than though thing to do now - when they get into trouble, apologise for working with them and pretend you've never done anything wrong.

It's like celebs who say they were sexually assaulted from decades ago. I've been sexually assaulted but no one cares because I'm not rich and famous and would probably be laughed at if i went to the police over it. Different rules for different people.
in reference to R Kelly, Lady Gaga has come out to distance herself and support the women, it’s not at all that it’s the award season and she’s up for nominations that might be at risk due to her connections to him. Nope, she’s just a nice person who knew about the past discretions and still coloborated with him anyway.

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
Having had a quick scan through things online the allegations run deeper than under aged marriage.
much worse but not a lot of it has held up in court, whereas his marriage had records.

That’s the main issue I have at the end of the day I think, it’s allegations, he’s not been convicted of anything yet and I don’t  believe he ever has been, yet his professional life, and probably personal too, is over not due to court law but mob law.

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
No idea chap.

Bit cheeky of him to assume he's 'Our' Kelly though ay it  ;D  ;) ?

Haha I quite agree!!!  :D
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
Anyone remember the Bill Wyman saga -

"On 2 June 1989, aged 52, Wyman married 18-year-old Mandy Smith, whom he had been dating since she was 13 and he was 47 years old. According to Smith, their relationship was sexually consummated when she was 14 years old. Their relationship was the subject of considerable media attention." - wikipedia.

Times change, he wasn't charged with anything! ....

Then there was Jerry Lee Lewis (who has been married seven times!!!):

"His first marriage, to Dorothy Barton, lasted for 20 months, from February 1952 to October 1953. Barton was 13 years old at the time of their marriage, and Lewis's first cousin.

His second marriage, to Jane Mitchum, was of dubious validity because it occurred 23 days before his divorce from Barton was final. It lasted for four years (September 1953 - October 1957). The couple had two children: Jerry Lee Lewis Jr. (1954–1973) and Ronnie Guy Lewis (b. 1956).

His third marriage, to then 13 year old Myra Gale Brown, was his first cousin once removed. Their marriage lasted 13 years (December 1957 - December 1970). The couple went through a second marriage ceremony because his divorce from Jane Mitchum was not complete before the first ceremony took place. They had two children together: Steve Allen Lewis (1959–1962) and Phoebe Allen Lewis (b. 1963).

His fourth marriage was to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate (October 1971 - June 8, 1982). Pate drowned in a swimming pool at the home of a friend with whom she was staying, several weeks before divorce proceedings could be finalized. They had one daughter, Lori Lee Lewis (b. 1972).

His fifth marriage, to Shawn Stephens, lasted 77 days, from June to August 1983, ending with her death. Journalist Richard Ben Cramer alleged that Lewis abused her and may have been responsible for her death, but the allegations have never been verified." - wiki again.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Online tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
Anyone remember the Bill Wyman saga -

"On 2 June 1989, aged 52, Wyman married 18-year-old Mandy Smith, whom he had been dating since she was 13 and he was 47 years old. According to Smith, their relationship was sexually consummated when she was 14 years old. Their relationship was the subject of considerable media attention." - wikipedia.

Times change, he wasn't charged with anything! ....

Then there was Jerry Lee Lewis (who has been married seven times!!!):

"His first marriage, to Dorothy Barton, lasted for 20 months, from February 1952 to October 1953. Barton was 13 years old at the time of their marriage, and Lewis's first cousin.

His second marriage, to Jane Mitchum, was of dubious validity because it occurred 23 days before his divorce from Barton was final. It lasted for four years (September 1953 - October 1957). The couple had two children: Jerry Lee Lewis Jr. (1954–1973) and Ronnie Guy Lewis (b. 1956).

His third marriage, to then 13 year old Myra Gale Brown, was his first cousin once removed. Their marriage lasted 13 years (December 1957 - December 1970). The couple went through a second marriage ceremony because his divorce from Jane Mitchum was not complete before the first ceremony took place. They had two children together: Steve Allen Lewis (1959–1962) and Phoebe Allen Lewis (b. 1963).

His fourth marriage was to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate (October 1971 - June 8, 1982). Pate drowned in a swimming pool at the home of a friend with whom she was staying, several weeks before divorce proceedings could be finalized. They had one daughter, Lori Lee Lewis (b. 1972).

His fifth marriage, to Shawn Stephens, lasted 77 days, from June to August 1983, ending with her death. Journalist Richard Ben Cramer alleged that Lewis abused her and may have been responsible for her death, but the allegations have never been verified." - wiki again.

I think Jerry Lee Lewis was addicted to wedding cake  ???
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline B_H_Baggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 06:25:53 PM »

I'm not really all that familiar with either story either just snippets I've seen in the news. Personally feel it's one of those things where someone accused of such behaviour shouldn't be identified publicly unless they get convicted in the courts, that way their careers are protected to a point.  That goes for anyone not just those in the public eye, too many have had their lives ripped to shreds only to be found not guilty in court but mud sticks.

Offline sayer3

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:10 PM »
If you watch the series surviving r Kelly you would understand why his music is being banned he should be in prison

Offline B_H_Baggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »
If you watch the series surviving r Kelly you would understand why his music is being banned he should be in prison

I haven't seen it, if I get chance I'll watch it at some point but I'm not exactly going to rush. All I'll say is how can we possibly know if they show is balanced or not? Now I'm not judging him either way as I don't know enough about what he's being accused of but I would like to think ff there was enough solid evidence of wrongdoing there would have been more than the one trial where he was actually acquitted.

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »
I'd ban his music purely on its own terms, it's pants.