West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.  (Read 2239 times)

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Reading the comments after an excellent 3pts at Swansea where some of our fans seem to be taking lessons from Mark Carney in hyperbole overkill I thought this topic would both suit them and maybe help them count their blessings.
Having followed Albion from the mid-60s I have seen great teams and awful teams in the blue and white stripes but for me the most depressing was the spell under Saunders it didn't last long but after watching great football for most of the previous years watching his Pulis type football see us lose week in week out truly awful signings and selling Bully to our down and out neighbours he must rank as our worst ever manager.

Offline mikehy

• Youth Baggie
Re: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
I have supported Albion since 1975. I would say Saunders along with the time under Gould. A manager no one wanted which lead to demos and sit ins after games. In the modern era i would say 01.01.15 to 20.11.17 (Pulis era!!)

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
Definitely 85-86. My first experience of relegation, just as I was old enough to start going away on my own  :(
What followed though were 6 or 7 years of madness, travelling the country, watching mostly rubbish, but having the time of my life, culminating in the play off victory of 93.
This is why I have never feared relegation though as my most memorable years were spent in the lower leagues and I know we always boing back  :)

Online TheJacko2000

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
Was devastated when we went down to the 3rd tier, but the Pardew and Irvine periods were by far the worst considering our position in the food chain.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:25:59 AM »
Was devastated when we went down to the 3rd tier, but the Pardew and Irvine periods were by far the worst considering our position in the food chain.

I agree with this. I was a STH in the Buckley/Gould/Little eras and although it was depressing we knew where we were in the food chain. There was not much money about and we had low expectations. With the Pardew/Pulis/Irvine eras there was high expectation, money seemingly available, and we monumentally got it wrong. Easy to blame, not easy to watch, and frankly I am happier now we are in the Championship, but I would like to return one day...... 
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »

When we hit the magical 40 point mark with Pulis one season and the player effectively gave up and went on holiday. I genuinely don't care what division we are in what i want is to be entertained.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline collins101

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »
Still haven't forgotten about those two defeats to Villa under Pulis...nightmare

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Most depressing time would have to be when Pulis was in charge of the club. Although I started supporting us back in the '90's, the difference was the hope it could get better.

Under Pulis not also was the football abysmal, it was also that it truly felt like the club and fan base were miles apart in what they wanted for the club; the fans wanted better football and a cup run, the club just wanted to get 40 points and another 12 months of Premier League money. Our support was divided too.

Nearly watching us end up back in what's now league one was bad, but the Pulis era was just depressing.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
Individual event - play offs v Portsmouth@Wembley
Period  - Pulis
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline Oldbury24

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
 Have seen some terrible football at the wrong end of div2 and 3 over the years standing in the freezing cold with rain slanting in at us but good times were still had.  There was a real pride to be had in following the team.....hardcore. Can't remember a time before last year though when i just stopped caring  and the fanbase was never more fragmented.   So bizzarely for all the lower division misery it would be the end of the TP reign into AP.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by Oldbury24 »

Offline liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Sitting on the steps at Wembley in tears after losing to QPR 3-2 by the vastly operated bigmouth Rodney, the plonker.
I was 15 years old.

Offline Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
Low point for me was just before we appointed Megson in the 1999/2000 season.  We seemed destined to go down to be clawed back into league one and our football had gone from reasonable to dreadful.  however, even in the darkest days there is hope.  Megson came in and we avoided relegation.  Okay, it was on the last day, playing an already promoted team and in the process we relegated a plucky Saddlers team which probably deserved to stop up.  The next season we reached the play-offs, and the season after that was our first automatic promotion season when we eased out the Wolves.  The moral is that its always darkest just before it gets light again...

Offline Groovephil

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Oddly one of the darkest moments for me was when Harford left us for qpr when we were riding high with one of the most averages sides ever seen. We just seemed to be unbeatable and I really thought we had a chance of promotion that year. Instead he dumped us in a heartbeat when a London club flashed a bit of leg.

We dropped like a stone after that and things were just awful until Sir Gary came and saved the club.

Offline BalisPen

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
From the moment Pardew was linked with our manager's job until he left.

Offline tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Gould years without doubt

Awful times, awful players

B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Offline gazberg

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
When we went down the old third division i was just into high school and got my first ever season ticket with mates from school. We were awful but still loved those nights up the Hawthorns.

Offline stuvetti

• WBA Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
1. Standing in a toga at Bristol Rovers when we were relegated to the third division.
2. Getting the train to Newcastle to collect a new car, then drive to Huddersfield in the 3rd division for a match under Bobby Gould. Lose 3-0 and never string more than two passes together all game.

Offline Westie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »
Probably the Saunders period for me; he was the worst manager our club has ever had, I’m sure he deliberately tried to ruin WBA, horrible man. However, I can’t say that I’m too chuffed about having a Chinese owner, especially one whose motives are, well, dubious. I have said before that the Club will not prosper with him supposedly at the helm.

Offline iwastherein68

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
In 65 years of supporting the club, I have had many lows and quite a few highs. But I cannot remember anything worse than watching us beaten twice at Villa Park in a few days, and much as I admired Ben Foster, I will never forgive him for inexplicably losing us the league game. I turned to my daughter and said "that's it they will beat us in the Cup as well now, and what a miserable day that was.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• WBA Coach
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
1967 at Wembley against QPR.
Leading 2-0 at half time and ending up losing 3-2 to a terrible blunder by the ref.
I used to work at Concentric Pressed Products on the Holyhead Road.
Rick Sheppard (goalkeeper) came in on the Monday and showed us, the still red raw stud marks down his chest.

Offline KN22

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Relegation to third tier under Gould... very closely followed by the attritional football for the whole of the Pulis era. As mentioned elsewhere the sole objective was 40 points.

Offline slate

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
I was born in 1976.

First game that I fully remember (pretty sure that I had birthday party prior to this versus Arsenal but have blocked it from recollection) was being thrashed 0-5 at home to Liverpool. That was the 84/85 season. They totally banged us, culminating in Bruce Grobbelaar saving a Derek Statham penalty.

The next lowlight was around 1991/92, the last day of school uniform, after GCSEs were finished, it was tradition to sign each others' school shirts. I still have my shirt that my school friends graffitied with "F*ck off Bobby Gould".

But to the point of the topic... I have to single out the worst ever time as a Baggies fan has been under Tony Pulis. It has to be for the simple reason that it's made me fall out of love with football.

Trying to get the mojo back but it's not happening under the current ownership/management/team.

Offline Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
I was football mad for many years, never missing a home game or a chance to talk football.

Now I never go to games, barely pay attention to results and don't even know the names of everyone in our squad.

Having to watch us pursue the most boring, risk adverse strategy possible under Pulis killed off my
love for the game. Love I can't see me ever getting back now.

On the other hand maybe he actually did me a favour though. He opened my eyes to how utterly uncompetitive and essentially pointless the English Premiership really is.

So no hard feelings Tone. You introduced me onto some amazing tv and film on Netflix I may else of never discovered.

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
Any defeat against the Vile scum from Witton, it really does depress me.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

Offline jonasyoulegend

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Any defeat against the Vile scum from Witton, it really does depress me.

100%. No sporting low I've ever experienced comes close to losing to Villa, being a Brummie I can count on 1 hand how many Dingles I know.