Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 89825 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #900 on: April 04, 2021, 01:38:30 PM »
Another factor to consider is the opposition will focus upon nullifying MP now, the Soton thugs will single him out !
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

baggiebof

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #901 on: April 04, 2021, 02:16:14 PM »

The above provides us with defensive solidity as AMN looks much better defensively than offensively. With Robinson, Pereira, Phillips and Diagne we have a varied attack.

Agree with this although on occasions where we are just the ascendancy, I'd be looking to replace Phillips. Phillips is a useful starter as he can become a right wing back with Furlong tucking inside to allow some tactical variety.

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #902 on: April 04, 2021, 03:35:14 PM »
Is it possible to agree with both of the great posts from both Standaman and Baggies? Albionic also has an excellent point in how do we get some protection for MP against the thugs who have and will target him in games. Need a captain to get in the ref's face every couple of minutes or so.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #903 on: April 04, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
Another factor to consider is the opposition will focus upon nullifying MP now, the Soton thugs will single him out !
Think we need to focus on getting our own game going again against Southampton. The game at their place we were half asleep and completely outplayed. Like it or not you have to trust refs and VAR where it comes to players being singled out. Plenty of teams have star players in the premier league and most get pretty good protection these days I'd say.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #904 on: April 04, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »
Think we need to focus on getting our own game going again against Southampton. The game at their place we were half asleep and completely outplayed. Like it or not you have to trust refs and VAR where it comes to players being singled out. Plenty of teams have star players in the premier league and most get pretty good protection these days I'd say.

The key word is 'most'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #905 on: April 04, 2021, 06:46:18 PM »
The key word is 'most'
I was just a bit surprised this was even being raised to be honest. I'm not sure Southampton are noted for their thuggery are they ? Also I can't remember any horror challenges on Pereira to date.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #906 on: April 04, 2021, 06:47:35 PM »
Was pleasantly surprised with Allardyce's tactics yesterday. If we had of just tried to go for a 1-0, Chelsea would have eventually broken us down.  We actually tried to play a high pressing game to try and force Chelsea's slow build-up into errors (and it worked for MP's second goal). 
Robinson also did what we have been doing very poorly all season. Making runs from deep into scoring positions. Also, I was pleased to see Furlong and Townsend getting forward, and they contributed directly to the 3rd and 4th goals.
It proves, to me anyway, that to win matches you need to get forward in numbers, and then get back in numbers to defend. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

chippyclarke

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #907 on: April 04, 2021, 08:51:45 PM »
I was just a bit surprised this was even being raised to be honest. I'm not sure Southampton are noted for their thuggery are they ? Also I can't remember any horror challenges on Pereira to date.
It was Bill Shankley back in the 60's that labelled them "alehouse brawlers" and they certainly were!

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #908 on: April 04, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
It was Bill Shankley back in the 60's that labelled them "alehouse brawlers" and they certainly were!
That side would have had the likes of Jimmy Gabriel , John McGrath etc . They scared away ale house brawlers !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #909 on: April 04, 2021, 09:12:01 PM »
I was thinking of Oriol Romeu specifically, but Bertrand and the center halves are prone to 'going through' with the back of a player with a tackle
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #910 on: April 13, 2021, 08:10:59 AM »
Despite Joe Masi's insistence that we played 4231 yesterday, we actually didnt we played 442 with Pereira upfront with Diagne. Pereira, as he does, drops from there into the ten role at times. Live score.com have us listed as 442 (although they've mixed up the positions of Robinson and Pereira) while flashscore.com have us as 4411. I can understand 4411 as sometimes it can be down to interpretation but really it was more 442.

I'm not sure what Masi watches sometimes, although from his vantage point inside the stadium it may be difficult to tell.

Yokuslu and Maitland-Niles sure as hell weren't playing in a double pivot though, that shouldve been clear enough to spot, both getting around the pitch. Phillips was used wide right as a sort of genuine right sided midfielder with Robinson  wide left as the more attacking wide player.

You can notice Yokuslu's role has changed slightly he no longer sits in front of the defence in a three.

It will be interesting to see how we line up against Leicester who are likely to play two up top Vardy and Iheanacho. I didn't see their game against West Ham but it seems they played 3412. It'll be interesting to see if we change formation to deal with that.