Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 74869 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #800 on: December 30, 2020, 08:38:39 AM »
Shane long 27 goals in 177 games :-X

His work rate occupies opposition defenders constantly, his efforts enable others in the team to capitalise....there are loads of strikers whose scoring record doesn’t look great, but what they do is appreciated by their team/manager.
Realistic signing and no central defender wants to play against a Long/Deeney combination .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #801 on: December 30, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »
If we were going to set up with 3 at the back it is debatable as to whether we should have signed the players we did in the summer although generally they at least fitted in with Bilic's general footballing philosophy e.g. Possession orientated working the ball through the pitch etc..

Personally I would have sacked him for the back 3 you can't adopt a tactical set up that craters a third of your squad particularly having insisted on players that really don't fit the set up you are adopting.   

However bringing in a reductive hoofball (no not as bad as Pulis) merchant leaves us with a squad geared toward possession football playing reductive hoofball. That pretty much craters the whole squad except the Pulis era veterans who it has taken two seasons and two coaches to wean off that approach.

We are going to fix this with four signings in January and I can't write posts with drug references (which is fair enough) but I struggle for any other explanation. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #802 on: December 30, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
What do we do then?! For me, 4231 or 451 is the formation with this team.

That 11

Johnstone, O'Shea, Ajayi, Ivanovic, Gibbs
Gallagher, Krovinovic
Robinson, Pereira, Grosicki
Austin

To be honest, the only shoe-ins are Johnstone, O'Shea, Gibbs, Gallagher and Pereira. I really don't know who else we play
I'm almost with you on this as I think Diangana and Grant both deserve some time on the bench. We have a problem at left-back now of course and I don't think Krovinovic would be suited to a defensive midfield role as he doesn't really tackle. I suppose the $64000 question is whether or not Allardyce can get something out of Austin that Bilic was increasingly unable to....

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #803 on: December 30, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
I think with the players we have right now, 3 at the back is our best option.

Our summer recruitment is at odds with that but seeing how certain players have and havent stepped up to this league, i think the wing backs is our best option.

We are poor at the back, Big Sam will make us better organised in time i have no doubt but upto now we have looked better at the 5-3-2, we have had some shockers, ie - Palace but also a number of games where we have only conceded 1 or 0 and at least being in the game (the Villa game i just class as a write off)

Furlong is ok at best as a defender (again he should get better at that with Sam) but he adds something going forward, i would use Diangana on the other side, you cant plan anything with Gibbs as he is made of glass and going into the last six months of his contract and him being unemployed in June, i dont see him risking himself to much.

We have 5 centre backs - Ivanovic, Bartley, O Shea, Ajayi and Kipre, realistically they will all be with us for the rest of the season so we have to utilise them, Kipre may go on loan but unless we sell one of the others i dont see us bringing in another centre back as will be overloaded.

Gallagher is a definite in midfield and its who you pick with him, we know with  Big Sam the ball goes direct so i imagine a couple of powerhouses in there will come in, with Pereria, Grant and Robinson competing for a place behind a big powerful striker who we bring in.

As i said elsewhere, Sam plays a certain way and likes a certain type of player, last night proved how shambolic we can be and didnt tighten up til we went 3 at the back and the game was over, i think that will be the benchmark for now unless Grosicki or Edwards are given a chance on the wing and have great games and make him think about wingers again.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:34:48 PM by Albion79 »

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #804 on: January 02, 2021, 03:30:49 PM »
Have just been watching first half Borussia Moenchengladbach in the Bundesliga, and have to say, they are playing just as I'd like Albion to play. They have a succession of runners bombing through, sometimes left side, sometimes right side, sometimes through the middle being picked out by very accurate 25 yard through passes.

Firstly you need players who can deliver accurate 25 yard through passes? Has Albion those players?  Secondly, you need to make those runs forward. Something I very rarely see with us.  Instead we have players just standing waiting for a pass up the pitch. Very much easier to mark.  Why are we not making those runs forward? Are they being told not to? Or do they just not have the skillset?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #805 on: January 02, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »
Have just been watching first half Borussia Moenchengladbach in the Bundesliga, and have to say, they are playing just as I'd like Albion to play. They have a succession of runners bombing through, sometimes left side, sometimes right side, sometimes through the middle being picked out by very accurate 25 yard through passes.

Firstly you need players who can deliver accurate 25 yard through passes? Has Albion those players?  Secondly, you need to make those runs forward. Something I very rarely see with us.  Instead we have players just standing waiting for a pass up the pitch. Very much easier to mark.  Why are we not making those runs forward? Are they being told not to? Or do they just not have the skillset?

BM haven't won a game since late November. Their game today is against relegation strugglers I believe and is still goalless? We couldn't reasonably expect to play that way against most teams in this division and not sure it's a great system anyway based on their results.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #806 on: January 02, 2021, 04:32:48 PM »
BM haven't won a game since late November. Their game today is against relegation strugglers I believe and is still goalless? We couldn't reasonably expect to play that way against most teams in this division and not sure it's a great system anyway based on their results.
We couldn't play that way because we don't have players who are capable/or are allowed to make runs forward, and we don't have players who have the vision to hit accurate long through passes. So we just elect to get boxed in in our own half.

As an aside, Gladbach should have won by alot more than 1-0 today given they must have created 12-15 good chances. But they play much the same tactics against bottom sides as against Real Madrid in the Champions League.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #807 on: January 02, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
We couldn't play that way because we don't have players who are capable/or are allowed to make runs forward, and we don't have players who have the vision to hit accurate long through passes. So we just elect to get boxed in in our own half.

Any semblance of having a plan to attack the opposition goal disappeared against Villa and Leeds. Banished. The Tony Pulis tactics haven't helped us at the back either so it's a lose-lose so far from the managerial change.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #808 on: January 10, 2021, 10:38:29 PM »
Austin gone. Bond going. Talk of Ivanovic contract termination. How many more could we get rid of?

Besides Johnstone Furlong Ajayi oshea Townsend periera diangana Robinson  I'm not overly bothered if any of the rest of them go
O Albion we love you

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #809 on: January 10, 2021, 10:48:26 PM »
Austin gone. Bond going. Talk of Ivanovic contract termination. How many more could we get rid of?

Besides Johnstone Furlong Ajayi oshea Townsend periera diangana Robinson  I'm not overly bothered if any of the rest of them go

Keeping my eye on Johnstone tbh. Less than 2 years left, and has somehow got people believing he's half decent.

Ramsdale went for £18 million. If Big Sam wants a kitty then....
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #810 on: January 10, 2021, 11:01:06 PM »
Keeping my eye on Johnstone tbh. Less than 2 years left, and has somehow got people believing he's half decent.

Yep, i'd wrote that 6-7m off but here we and we could profit heavily from him

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #811 on: January 10, 2021, 11:02:48 PM »

He is half decent. I can only imagine the stick he would have taken on here had he let the first Blackpool goal in yesterday. Should definitely have been saved.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »

He should get a cat from the local animal rescue
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #813 on: Today at 05:21:19 PM »
Well we're certainly getting through some systems this season. 4-4-2 at the Custard bowl with Pereira joining Robinson up front.

Reverted to a five at the back late on.