Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 60231 times)

johnny Cash

• Senior Baggie

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #725 on: October 16, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
When I look at our squad i think Pereira, Grant, Gallagher and Diangana are exciting young talent and probably about as good a front '4' as we could have hoped for.   

I then consider Ivanovic and Krovinovic and think we really need the two of you to step up up and be what Bilic seems to hope you can.

However you get to Livermore, Johnstone and Gibbs and feel they will really let us down in key areas, and we have little scope or prospect of any better alternative.

It's a shame actually that we seems quite near but also so far from being able to give this season a real go. 

Beyond those, it looks like Grosicki (unfortunately) and Zohore (fortunately) will go. It is a shame Austin doesn't see an option he is interested in.  The rest can do probably do a job to varying degrees although some wont get much game time.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #726 on: October 16, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
If we're going to let go all of Grosicki, Zohore and Austin today and only bring in Grant, it's going to diminish our attacking options pretty significantly. Grosicki should stay or, failing that, Austin.

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #727 on: October 16, 2020, 04:12:16 PM »
You mention we have too many centre backs but in my view it is an area we have neglected.

I still cannot believe that given our horrendous start to the season that we have not been minded to strengthen that area. Signing Grant will be like putting a plaster on an open wound.

Yes, I can envisage teams like Burnley grabbing an early goal against our porous, ponderous, ill-organised  defence and going into mass defence mode which we found difficult to score against in the Championship with Pereira and Diangana.  This Grant guy better be worth the £15M.
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #728 on: October 16, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »
Johnstone
O’Shea Ajayi Ivanovic Gibbs
Gallagher Livermore Krovinovic
Pereira Grant Diangana

Looks okay to me, will be a battle to stay up but can see us surprising teams. It’s a young team full of energy and should be pretty exciting on the counter attack.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #729 on: October 17, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »
Final 27 man squad at least until January

GK
                                              Johnstone  (27, 2022 )
                                              Button  (31, 2022)
                                               Bond (27, 2021)                                                                                   

RB                                   CB                          CB                               LB
  O'Shea* (20, 2023)         Ajayi (26,2023)           Hegazi  ( 28, 2022)     Gibbs (30 2021)
  Furlong (24, 2023)          Bartley (28, 2021)       Kipre     (23, 2024)     Townsend (27, 2021)
  Peltier (36, 2021)           Ivanovic (36,2021)                                                           

6                                     6
                                 Gallagher* (20,2021)        Livermore    (30,2022)
                                  Sawyers (28,2022)            Field            (22, 2022)
                                  Harper *(19,2022)            Krovinovic    (25,2021)               

7                                                           10                                     11
Phillips (29 ,2022)                       Pereira   (24, 2024 )                Diangana (22, 2025)
Edwards  (21, 2021)
Robinson, (25, 2025)   

CF   
                                                   Grant (23, 2026)
                                                   Robson-Kanu (30, 2021)
                                                      Austin (30,2021)

Whatever anybody thinks of Grosicki it seems very obvious that he was not going to be played by Bilic nor for that matter was Zohore. At some point they come into the reckoning but not without an injury crisis of near biblical proportions.

Overall I remain a little bit uncomfortable as to how the team shape will evolve. Regardless of what I think of each player's  individual quality I don't have an XI that looks entirely right as a unit.  I suspect a lot hinges on what Gallagher brings to the party in Central Midfield, however at the end of the window I want to see an obvious first XI which looks comfortable in the Head Coach's preferred set up. I don't see it.     

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #730 on: October 17, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
I agree entirely Stan. A hell of a lot now rests on Ivanovic and Gallagher. I don't think a centre back signing alone fixes our broken defending as that comes from midfield, but it's a start, while we really need Gallagher to offer a lot in a defensive capacity, which is counter to the role he played at Charlton and Swansea.

I'm not sure we have made enough obvious upgrade signings to fit into and improve Bilic's first eleven. The best we can hope for at this point is that we have a punchers chance due to the attacking threat offered by Grant, Robinson, Pereira, Diangana, Gallagher and Krov.

Boing Boing

Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #731 on: October 17, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
For me just getting 3 genuine midfielders in there to try and get some parity or better in the middle of the park is the first step to protecting the back four, even if there's not a natural 'defensive screening' type midfielder amongst them...and yes that means playing Pereira in the front 3 but with plenty of license to switch around and get on the ball.

Pelada

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #732 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
I’d sooner go 3-5-2/3-4-3 with our team at this point in time and ask young Sam Field to sit in front of the back four to allow Sawyers/Gallagher/Krov etc to get about the pitch. I think that more congested midfield with a designated sitter like Sam would really help us find a balance.

I think Ajayi and O’Shea would both suit a back 3- just not sure Bartley is the right anchor so maybe time to ask Ivanovic.

Button

Ajayi
Ivanovic
OShea

Field

Gallagher
Livermore
Krov

Pereira
Diangana

Grant

I just think it gives us some versatility and some body in the midfield which is lacking when we have Sawyers paired with Livermore.

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #733 on: October 18, 2020, 07:06:05 PM »
Johnstone
O’Shea Ajayi Ivanovic Gibbs
Gallagher Livermore Krovinovic
Pereira Grant Diangana

Looks okay to me, will be a battle to stay up but can see us surprising teams. It’s a young team full of energy and should be pretty exciting on the counter attack.

Like the 4-3-3 because given the lack of a screening defender, we can't have just 2 in front of the defence.
As has been said by Standaman a lot of this rides on Gallagher's ability (and willingness) to defend.  We have a plethora of attacking midfielders so I can see them being swapped at 60 mins

Johnstone

Furlong         Ajayi  [Ivanovitch / Hegazi (60)]  Gibbs

Gallagher     Livermore   [Sawyers / Krovinovic (60)]

Pereira                   Robinson / Grant (60)                Diangana

If Robinson still in quarantine play Phillips.  If we need stronger defence to start play Field instead of Sawyers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:06:45 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Hales Owen born.  "No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude."  Karl Popper
"You can be so irrational at times." Mrs NJS

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #734 on: October 18, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »
My favourite setup is 352.
But at this early stage of the season 433.
Back 4 O'Shea Ajay Ivan Gibbs
2 defensive midfielders one would be Field + ?
With Gallagher am box to box.
Front 3 are 2 magicians + grant.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #735 on: October 19, 2020, 11:52:36 PM »
First line up with the full squad

Johnstone

Furlong     Hegazi     Ivanovic     Townsend

Livermore
                              Gallagher        Krovinovic

Pereira           Grant             Diangana

Observations it's Burnley so almost a unique set of circumstances they are now one of the few teams that actively give up possession. Centre Backs are really slow against any sort of pace they are going to have to sit deep and I really wouldn't want them defending big spaces. That means the midfield has to drop and I fear that the front 3 will see little of the ball in other games.

Pushing the play maker forward is a good idea and Krovinovic saw plenty of the ball. I think the midfield 3 is our best option at the moment.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #736 on: Yesterday at 12:13:30 AM »
Big semi has to play with Ivanovic or we will get ruined and as you say generally have to sit back
O Albion we love you

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #737 on: Yesterday at 05:38:34 AM »
Big semi has to play with Ivanovic or we will get ruined and as you say generally have to sit back

Having to sit back is not a bad thing for us. We are not going to out football teams in this league 

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #738 on: Yesterday at 07:42:12 AM »
Just a mention on last nights formation. I think most will say it was 433 but I'd describe it more as 4141 with Livermore playing deeper than the other two in CM and Pereira and Diangana slightly deeper than Grant in the loan striker role.

Sometimes it's just a play on numbers really, could call it 433, even 451 but for greater accuracy I'd have us down as 4141 last night.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #739 on: Yesterday at 07:48:38 AM »
Agreed. That’s how I saw it too. Worth persevering with I think.