Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 56843 times)

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

Romaine Sawyers
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/09/west-brom-move-sign-bobby-reid-romaine-sawyers-prepare-championship/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

est Bromwich Albion have launched a £10m bid to sign Bristol City attacker Bobby Reid and Brentford’s Romaine Sawyers as the club prepares for the Championship.

Darren Moore, Albion’s head coach, has offered around £7m for Reid and is hopeful of agreeing a fee with City this month.

Reid scored 19 goals in the league last season and was a key figure as Lee Johnson reached the Carabao Cup semi-finals.

Sawyers, a former West Brom academy graduate, is also high on Moore’s list of targets with a £3m bid understood to be imminent.

West Brom are determined to back Moore as they aim for a swift return to the Premier League.

Romaine Sawyers - West Brom have made a £3m bid for their former academy player Romaine Sawyers (right)
West Brom have made a £3m bid for their former academy player Romaine Sawyers (right) CREDIT: JOHN WALTON/PA
Jonny Evans was the first departure last week, following relegation into the second tier, after completing a £3m move to Leicester.

The futures of Jay Rodriguez, Salomon Rondon and Jake Livermore are also uncertain, with a number of top-flight clubs ready to test Albion’s resolve.

James McClean, the Republic of Ireland international, is a target for Stoke manager Gary Rowett.

But Moore wants to keep the core of his squad together and Albion are poised to open talks with defender Craig Dawson over a new deal.

————————————————-

Interesting that we are trying to resign a player we have previously released. Plays in a good footballing Brentford side as does Bobby Reid so some sign there’s the way DM wants to play football
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:04:13 AM by Political Cake »
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

CL3MO

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Another player who I would love to have. £3m is very cheap so I would expect that to push to £5.

He is from B'ham, so I would expect that he wants the move back.

Him and Bobby Reid for anything around the £12m mark is very good business. We will get that back on selling just one player.

Onwards and upwards hopefully...

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
Does everyone think Bobby Reid will be a steady goal scorer then after last season?  He got 7 in 89 games before last season.
Sawyers has got 6 in 85 games. Now i'm 100% not knocking signings as its down to how they fit into the team and what Moore wants. I do worry about the Sawyers, although i've not seen enough of him to comment. What kind of player has he turned into?

Wiki makes this comment  "One of the standout players at Griffin Park this season with his touch and passing range impressing many"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:39:57 PM by ripryan1971 »

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »
Does everyone think Bobby Reid will be a steady goal scorer then after last season?  He got 7 in 89 games before last season.
Sawyers has got 6 in 85 games. Now i'm 100% not knocking signings as its down to how they fit into the team and what Moore wants. I do worry about the Sawyers, although i've not seen enough of him to comment. What kind of player has he turned into?

I think before this season Reid played in midfield whereas he moved to his natural CF position hence why his goal scoring record has got better
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Smethwickender93

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
Very excited by this, Sawyers wasn’t given much of a chance when with us but made his mark at Walsall and Brentford. Looks a very tidy player! I wonder how many academy graduates could be in and around our first team next year if Sawyers is to sign?

I’ve missed the championship transfer windows! Let the rebuild begin

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Has Reid been playing just behind the striker this season aswell as up top on his own?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
Exact kind of player we should be after - good age, above all else a technically talented player - will allow us to move away from our current style with absolutely no imagination in our build up.

Very happy with Moore's targets, Reid and Sawyers are exactly what we need to be moving towards.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »
Just what we need. Reading about him he is being praised for his touch, passing and link up play between the midfield and the strikers.

Crying out for a player like this.

Smooth Lad

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
Walsall supporting pal of mine said Sawyers has the ability, very good player. Obviously overlooked when he was here or a later bloomer. Either way, £3m is a steal, maybe not for someone we let go, but least it's not £90m like pogba ha.

Whether he could cut it in the prem is a different kettle of fish.
Keep St.George in my heart.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »
A 5'9 midfielder...Pulis must be long gone  :o

I wonder if Moore knew him as a kid so that's why he's gone for him.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »

Wiki makes this comment  "One of the standout players at Griffin Park this season with his touch and passing range impressing many"
.   Don't know what you want ? Would rather have a team of hungry player, than the the likes of the Billy Big  Bo***cks we had last season just taking the money.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 06:37:14 AM »
 Still only 26. He was voted Brentford player's player of the year last season so that would suggest he's good/popular in the dressing room too which surely fits in with Moore's "we not me" philosophy.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
Romaine Sawyers is a play maker Brentford typically use him just behind the striker in the 10 role. If there is a criticism of him it is that he should get a few more goals from that position. He is the poor man's Nacer Chadli which is reflected in the price.

I am happy for us to sign him. However there are a couple of points that are worth noting here. Firstly if we are going to lump the ball down the channels there no point and we could not find a player less suited to that approach. Secondly as I pointed in the Reid thread both the players we are currently targeting play in the same position although they are quite different players. If we are bringing players in their prime years to the club we have to assume the plan to start them and I'm quite sure how that works.

Jimmy Shan would have been at the club when Sawyers signed his first contract and he would have in the academy when Darren Moore was here as a player so he is plainly known to the coaching staff so clearly will fit in with their ethos.

Finally if we are targeting Sawyers and Reid it would seem unlikely that we will retain Morrison. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »
To be honest his lack of goals is a big concern for me. That aside it's a good all round deal to be honest. I'd like to think he's not going to be the starting option at 10 and perhaps Big Dave sees him as someone he could drop deeper possibly.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
To be honest his lack of goals is a big concern for me. That aside it's a good all round deal to be honest. I'd like to think he's not going to be the starting option at 10 and perhaps Big Dave sees him as someone he could drop deeper possibly.

He has never been a heavy goal scorer but nor has Morrison. Bringing players into the game who do score from out wide and the striker(s) is a vital contribution.

Potentially I see Sawyers' passing ability and Reid's energy pace and finishing ability as being a potentially potent combination. The trick is how to work them into the same line up.

I cannot see him being effective in a two man central midfield unless we can find an absolute beast to play alongside him. Brentford have occasionally lined up win a 4-1-4-1 which could potentially accommodate both Sawyers and Reid behind the lone striker. We could of course play Reid up front on his own but that really is committing to play the ball on the ground through the midfield how wonderful would that be? Alas I don't see Moore going down that route.   

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »
He has never been a heavy goal scorer but nor has Morrison. Bringing players into the game who do score from out wide and the striker(s) is a vital contribution.

And Morrison scored more goals (5) in 31 Premiership games last season than Sawyers did in 48 games in all competitions (3) Sawyers in the past two season in English football has mustered a grand total of 8 goals and 12 assists in 96 games

I'm not one who totally advocates using statistics as a yardstick but in my opinion it's such a crucial role that I want someone who we can get excited by not, no offence to Sawyers, a £3m option from Brentford who hasn't lit the league up. I'd be honestly very disappointed if we went into the campaign with Bobby Reid and Romain Sawyers as our 9 & 10.

He could play deeper, he'd just to adjust the disciplines of his game. Could be that he wouldn't want too either. But if his passing ability is that good then I think he's possibly viewed by DM as the dictator of the play from deep.

I think 10's and I think Koumas. I want that sort of creative maestro who is an all rounder.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
Romaine Sawyers is a play maker Brentford typically use him just behind the striker in the 10 role. If there is a criticism of him it is that he should get a few more goals from that position. He is the poor man's Nacer Chadli which is reflected in the price.

I am happy for us to sign him. However there are a couple of points that are worth noting here. Firstly if we are going to lump the ball down the channels there no point and we could not find a player less suited to that approach. Secondly as I pointed in the Reid thread both the players we are currently targeting play in the same position although they are quite different players. If we are bringing players in their prime years to the club we have to assume the plan to start them and I'm quite sure how that works.

Jimmy Shan would have been at the club when Sawyers signed his first contract and he would have in the academy when Darren Moore was here as a player so he is plainly known to the coaching staff so clearly will fit in with their ethos.

Finally if we are targeting Sawyers and Reid it would seem unlikely that we will retain Morrison.

Brentford were playing Sawyers as one of the centre midfielders in a 433 every time I looked last season. However, he was the most advanced of the three and had the most license to get forward.

He has a very languid style, but has the talent to get away with it, reminds me of a midfield version of Berbatov. Complete contrast to Bobby Reid who is all-action with a seemingly limitless engine. Not sure how we fit both into the team, but won't even bother thinking about it until we know whether JRod will be here or not. 46 game season so we need options to rotate, I'm sure both Sawyers and Reid would get plenty of game time even if we sign both and keep JRod.

If these are the type of players we are targeting then I'm very pleased with the way we appear to be going about transfers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:29:14 PM by wba_1996 »

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
Being linked with Sawyers and Reid gives me great optimism for the style of football Darren Moore is going to try and get us playing.

Cullompton baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
how many no10's do we need!! must mean that Chadli is definitely going, otherwise we will end up like Everton who did not know which one to play!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:21:09 PM by MarkW »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 08:36:19 PM »
I'm not overly keen on a Sawyers return.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

pennington

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
I'm not overly keen on a Sawyers return.
Please expand your reasons.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
I agree with Jacko. He has clearly worked hard to recover from his early career rejection (he left Albion having had a disastrous few loan spells where fans really didn't rate him), so it suggests he has a good attitude and will to improve, but he is mid twenties and has only just been able to get back to the championship, despite spending his whole career in the pro game.

I feel Sawyers isn't quite the player to push us on, instead potentially being at his level here.

Also feel a bit of a sigh paying potebtially 5 mil for a player who we have already spent milliond developing from 8 years of age and then releasing on a free, only to sign him again.
Boing Boing

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:02:57 AM »
I agree with Jacko. He has clearly worked hard to recover from his early career rejection (he left Albion having had a disastrous few loan spells where fans really didn't rate him), so it suggests he has a good attitude and will to improve, but he is mid twenties and has only just been able to get back to the championship, despite spending his whole career in the pro game.

I feel Sawyers isn't quite the player to push us on, instead potentially being at his level here.

Also feel a bit of a sigh paying potebtially 5 mil for a player who we have already spent milliond developing from 8 years of age and then releasing on a free, only to sign him again.

I'm not sure you can say his loan spells were disastrous as he was only on loan at Port Vale and Shrewsbury for 1 month each, in fact Shrewsbury then extended his loan until the end of the season. Walsall signed him from us after his loan spell there.

I agree with your point about paying for a player we previously had anyway but sometimes players develop better in a different environment and Dean Smith seems to have been able to get something out of Romaine Sawyers at both Walsall and Brentford.

Like you I get the feeling that the Championship is his level but that's where we will be for at least next season.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
I'm not sure you can say his loan spells were disastrous as he was only on loan at Port Vale and Shrewsbury for 1 month each, in fact Shrewsbury then extended his loan until the end of the season. Walsall signed him from us after his loan spell there.

I agree with your point about paying for a player we previously had anyway but sometimes players develop better in a different environment and Dean Smith seems to have been able to get something out of Romaine Sawyers at both Walsall and Brentford.

Like you I get the feeling that the Championship is his level but that's where we will be for at least next season.

I think that's the key regarding our recruitment. I'd sooner see us assemble a squad of more than capable players at that level. As opposed to worrying if they can step up to a league we're not even in. Unfortunately for Sawyers, as I've said unless we view him as a CM to dictate play, I just fail to get excited about his ability as a 10.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
Not even the best midfielder at Brentford.