West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: fuel prices  (Read 1616 times)

Online caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
fuel prices
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
have other posters noticed big increases in petrol & diesel in the last few days? living in a rural area it's always been a bit dearer but can't ever recall 9 pence a litre increases overnight, sure fact I've never seen it drop by that amount.

Offline beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie
Re: fuel prices
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:12:35 AM »
have other posters noticed big increases in petrol & diesel in the last few days? living in a rural area it's always been a bit dearer but can't ever recall 9 pence a litre increases overnight, sure fact I've never seen it drop by that amount.

Petrol back up to $75 a barrel
And the pound got absolutely smashed this last week on the forex exchange, it's down about 7% against the dollar mainly because mr carnage mark carney head of Bank of England said some very pessimistic stuff. That's why the fuel has suddenly shot up in price
O Albion we love you

Offline BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Petrol back up to $75 a barrel
And the pound got absolutely smashed this last week on the forex exchange, it's down about 7% against the dollar mainly because mr carnage mark carney head of Bank of England said some very pessimistic stuff. That's why the fuel has suddenly shot up in price
That would be fuel bought and paid for on the wholesale market many months ago
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Offline hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
The pound went down because economic figures ruled out an interest rate rise which the speculators had gambled on which in turn pushed the pound up the previous week
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
I’m a slave to the oil prices. I work 60 miles away, my commute is up the M3 from Winchester to West London 3 times a week.

Do roughly 20k a year. My reliable diesel Civic has 140k on her so I reckon I’ve got 18 months - 2 years left on her before I upgrade. I want all the motorway safety features, adaptive cruise control, blind spot alerts, lane assist etc.

Do I go diesel again or hybrid? Fed up of being governed by oil prices but we’re in too much of a transition to get a reasonably priced hybrid.

But then diesels are going to be taxed to smithereens! I’m thinking of a 2-3 year diesel lease to get me over the transition.

Offline The Tank

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
I’m a slave to the oil prices. I work 60 miles away, my commute is up the M3 from Winchester to West London 3 times a week.

Do roughly 20k a year. My reliable diesel Civic has 140k on her so I reckon I’ve got 18 months - 2 years left on her before I upgrade. I want all the motorway safety features, adaptive cruise control, blind spot alerts, lane assist etc.

Do I go diesel again or hybrid? Fed up of being governed by oil prices but we’re in too much of a transition to get a reasonably priced hybrid.

But then diesels are going to be taxed to smithereens! I’m thinking of a 2-3 year diesel lease to get me over the transition.

It seems you are, unfortunately, more a slave to the £.

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
It seems you are, unfortunately, more a slave to the £.

You could say that, but all of my industry is centered on London. I wouldn’t find work outside of it for what I am trained to do. And I only work 3 days a week on average so it’s a good work life balance.

Looking at plug in hybrids but they are so expensive. They really need to come down in price.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »

I've just changed my car and had another diesel, no tax at all as its an ecoflex Insignia. Was contemplating a petrol but in the end plumped for another diesel, had to think of what benefits me now not down the line.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
I've just changed my car and had another diesel, no tax at all as its an ecoflex Insignia. Was contemplating a petrol but in the end plumped for another diesel, had to think of what benefits me now not down the line.
[/b]

I said that to the missus but no we got a new petrol car instead of a diesel one cause she wanted a cleaner planet for the next generation.  Bloody tree hugger.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
I said that to the missus but no we got a new petrol car instead of a diesel one cause she wanted a cleaner planet for the next generation.  Bloody tree hugger.
Yep, continue to destroy the environment because it's someone else's problem and not yours isn't it? Because your attitude prevails in society is precisely why everything has got into the destructive, poisonous mess that it is.

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Coach
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
Yep, continue to destroy the environment because it's someone else's problem and not yours isn't it? Because your attitude prevails in society is precisely why everything has got into the destructive, poisonous mess that it is.

Behave

Diesel isn't going away, it'll still fuel every agricultural vehicle going and (without checking) every military vehicle. Our (the UK) use is minimal, look to the States and China for any real environmental change...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:06 AM »

Behave

Diesel isn't going away, it'll still fuel every agricultural vehicle going and (without checking) every military vehicle. Our (the UK) use is minimal, look to the States and China for any real environmental change...
It's not often I agree with you Jacko but here I certainly do as I had to recently point out to some acquaintances that the UK is not solely responsible for all the plastic in the worlds oceans and any reduction in use measures taken here in the UK will have absolutely minimal effect on the global plastics in the oceans problem
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »

Behave

Yes this is true but doesn’t stop you from getting your own house in order. Air quality in our cities is dreadful and it’s our actions that can prevent that. I’m a diesel driver but the sooner it is fazed out the better.

Than being said, air quality in the countryside isn’t as much of an issue so I would expect agriculture would be a slower faze out. Everything will be electric one day, natural progress.

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
I think KC comment was a bit tongue in cheek, not sure if yours is it looks to me like someone his getting on his high horse and giving it the moral superiority BS.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:29:42 PM by KYA »

Online Droitwich Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
In Droitwich there are two petrol stations opposite one another.
Esso is £1-29.9 per litre and Sainsbury's is £1-22.9 per litre.
Guess which one is used most.
Also because it is in litres...7 x 4.5 equals 31.5 pence a gallon difference....For a tank full that means quite a ruddy difference.
Are some people being conned or are they just stupid?

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
In Droitwich there are two petrol stations opposite one another.
Esso is £1-29.9 per litre and Sainsbury's is £1-22.9 per litre.
Guess which one is used most.
Also because it is in litres...7 x 4.5 equals 31.5 pence a gallon difference....For a tank full that means quite a ruddy difference.
Are some people being conned or are they just stupid?

Some people won't use supermarkets for fuel as they believe its inferior yet all fuel has to pass the same tests before its allowed for sale. Let the idiots keep using the expensive places, saves me having to queue up.

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
I always use Tesco, the club card points are worth 2p off a litre if you convert them to the best deals.

There are also noticeable differences depending how far you are from a delivery terminal on the coast - its generally a penny or more extra a litre down in the SW than in Wales because of this, and its a penny more in Exmouth than Exeter because they have to drive the petrol down the godawful A376.

Online Droitwich Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
I can't really understand petrol stations having higher prices than some of the others.
Don't they realise that people can drive to a cheaper station on their route.
If I travel to Ludlow and go via Stourport (same distance for me to travel), I can call at Tesco in Stourport, and the last time I was there (weekend) it was £1-16.9 a litre.

Offline jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
I live in Stourport-on-Severn and that Tesco is so cheap. When fuel was at 1.209 in the Esso round the corner it was only 1.129 there.

They must use it as a loss leader to pull customers into the supermarket. It's even cheaper than all the other petrol stations in Kidderminster.

Offline adamw1109

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
Some people won't use supermarkets for fuel as they believe its inferior yet all fuel has to pass the same tests before its allowed for sale. Let the idiots keep using the expensive places, saves me having to queue up.

They have to pass the same tests and must conform to the same British and European standards but its the additives that are added for each garage that makes the most difference.

Personally it makes no odds to me as i have a company car that I use for personal use so costs me nothing but I know of people that claim to notice a difference in mpg and better running of the vehicle when they have started using more expensive fuels rather than supermarket fuels.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 11:36:07 PM »
They have to pass the same tests and must conform to the same British and European standards but its the additives that are added for each garage that makes the most difference.

Personally it makes no odds to me as i have a company car that I use for personal use so costs me nothing but I know of people that claim to notice a difference in mpg and better running of the vehicle when they have started using more expensive fuels rather than supermarket fuels.

I've never noticed any difference between supermarket or non supermarket to be honest and I always buy the cheap diesel, never buy the more expensive stuff.

Just come back from Germany where I paid €125.9 but average seemed to be around €1.28 for diesel and €1.43 for unleaded, massive difference to here, Belgium was more expensive at between €1.39 and €1.59

Offline east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
Just come back from the US where it's 60p a litre and some of them are moaning about it  :D

Never understood the argument about supermarket fuel being inferior. Doesn't it all come from the same refineries?!
Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Shrewsbury, Que Sera Sera

Online Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
From Allstar the fuel card people (in summary, unless you buy the premium stuff (v.expensive) there is no difference between supermarkets and "brands")

Supermarket Fuel: The Myths and The Facts
Here are some myths and facts about supermarket fuel.
Is this a myth? Many motorists often hear that branded fuel like Shell, Esso or BP is better that petrol and diesel sold at Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons or Asda.  There are rumours that supermarket fuel has potential to damage your car engine and can affect the MPG.

We looked at the science behind supermarket fuel to understand if it is really worth paying more money for branded petrol and diesel.

Myth or Fact? - Petrol or diesel you buy at the supermarkets is not the same as the fuel you would buy from other garages

Myth

All petrol and diesel sold in the UK must conform to British and European standards - EN228 for unleaded and for diesel EN590.  This means that they should all work in the same way and that you should be able to mix the same grade of fuel, bought from different outlets, without any problem.

Read less »
Myth or Fact? - Branded fuel has extra additives

Fact

The special additives apply to both the cheapest fuel as well as to the branded, so-called high performance fuels.

However, fuel companies add extra ingredients designed to their premium fuel. For example, premium fuel like Shell V-Power Nitro+ has special additives that can help to increase your vehicles efficiency. Some premium fuel has higher octane (petrol) and certane (diesel) ratings that can improve performance and economy.

Myth or Fact? - Branded fuel makes a difference to the performance of a car

Myth/Fact

When it comes down to the performance, the opinions really vary. Some research shows that high-grade fuels keep fuel systems cleaner, they reduce emissions, they give better performance and they improve fuel economy.

Yet some research never shows a conclusive result that proves supermarket fuel does not perform as well as branded. Overall, modern cars are very complex and there are many variables that affect performance. As a result, it is difficult to identify the impact of fuel on its own.

Myth or Fact? - Supermarket fuel can damage your car

Myth

Supermarket fuel tanker lorries often fill up from the same tanks as branded fuel lorries– so most of the time the fuel they sell is the same, but premium fuel may have different additive packages.

Depending on your vehicle, you may notice differences between using different filling stations. However, the fuel in the UK meets the British and European Standards, so if you need basic fuel without additives, you can use any petrol station to fill up your vehicle.
Christened in rainbow, Grew up in Brummie, Lived in smethwick, Very likely die in halfords!