West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Why no political debates  (Read 5243 times)

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
Re: Why no political debates
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 12:02:33 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that people who used to post all the time on the Brexit, and the "Corbyn and divisive left" (or whatever it was called) have disappeared now?

Shows how much interest they had in the Albion

Not Really. There were as many mad lefties and remainers on here who have done one too...

Oops delete the thread lads...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:26 PM »
I'm still here.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
Same. I frequently see my fellow comrades posting on Albion matters.

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »

Not Really. There were as many mad lefties and remainers on here who have done one too...

Oops delete the thread lads...

and this is why we can't have nice things  ::)
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
The politics section was closed, fair enough I still read the football sections but don't feel its correct to comment on say a players performance if you haven't been to a game it would be posting just for the sake of it.

Offline Barrington

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
I enjoyed the political type debates.

It's easy for people to say ' Go and find a forum on political debate'.

However, I thought it was quite unique to have commentary from quite a local group and see their differing views on a wider spectrum. It's a shame that this opportunity has been lost, for whatever reason. I gained some good information from people on this forum, and I'd like to think that occasionally I made a post of a little interest.

I know that the mod's have a stance on this so I fully understand. I hope one day in the future they may consider having a conversation about possibly allowing political stuff in the future. I think it's useful.

Offline Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Echo those sentiments Barrington

I feel like there was a good mix of right/left wing and centrists on this site, along with a wide mix of ages and economic/cultural backgrounds.

In real life I live in a bit of a millennial university educated snowflakey bubble so it was enjoyable to
talk/debate with people with differing views to my inner friendship circle

But hey ho I understand the mods decision and whats done is done now.

P.S - The reason I hardly ever comment on the main football pages is because a combination of West Brom & the premiership has really started to bore me to death over the last 2/3 years

Offline Barrington

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
P.S - The reason I hardly ever comment on the main football pages is because a combination of West Brom & the premiership has really started to bore me to death over the last 2/3 years

That's the same for me, and I'd guess a lot of others. There's only so many times you can state the pointlessness of existing in the premier league playing boring football with no hope of ever progressing before you utterly bore yourself and others. There's not a lot to say most of the time.

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
Ditto the premiership and football now bore me to death this feeling has grown over a number of years, a combination of just making the numbers up players on grotesque wages and the elite getting ever farther away.Football used to be fun not anymore.
The England team also bore me to tears watching a bunch of overpaid madonnas giving lifeless performances.

Offline mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
I miss the squabbling on here - I feel like I learned a lot more about Brexit than I would have done by just remoaning with other remoaners, but I can see why the mods had had enough of holding the ring and trying to keep the peace!

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
I enjoyed the political type debates.

It's easy for people to say ' Go and find a forum on political debate'.

However, I thought it was quite unique to have commentary from quite a local group and see their differing views on a wider spectrum. It's a shame that this opportunity has been lost, for whatever reason. I gained some good information from people on this forum, and I'd like to think that occasionally I made a post of a little interest.

I know that the mod's have a stance on this so I fully understand. I hope one day in the future they may consider having a conversation about possibly allowing political stuff in the future. I think it's useful.

There's arguments on all the boards to a degree.
I don't see it ever coming back as we now live in a PC bubble where you can't say anything for fear of offending someone.
Just on a side note, I don't think I've ever been offended. What happens?
Do they take you off to A & E?
Put the defibrillator on you to shock you back into the real world?
Put a plaster on the offended part?
Put you on a course of anti offensive pills?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline MarkW

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
There's arguments on all the boards to a degree.
I don't see it ever coming back as we now live in a PC bubble where you can't say anything for fear of offending someone.
Just on a side note, I don't think I've ever been offended. What happens?
Do they take you off to A & E?
Put the defibrillator on you to shock you back into the real world?
Put a plaster on the offended part?
Put you on a course of anti offensive pills?

Being PC has got nothing to do with it.

This board was being used disproportionately by some members - we're an Albion board first and foremost. Also, this board took up a good proportion of our time as mods sorting out petty squabbles that would go round in circles.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Online Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
I went on an AED course this morning, the instructor, 2 paramedics and 3 police officers said that there was too much PC about. Of those, 3 people said that there were too many wimps worried about offending people....They actually used the words "WIMPS". What does that say?

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
I went on an AED course this morning, the instructor, 2 paramedics and 3 police officers said that there was too much PC about. Of those, 3 people said that there were too many wimps worried about offending people....They actually used the words "WIMPS". What does that say?

That's what we're becoming a nation of wimps.
Too many people ready to play the PC card if they're ending up on the wrong end of an argument.
PC and Elf & Safety, the scourge of the 21st century.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 10:43:57 PM »
To repeat what Mark has already said, not sure how many times it has to be said or how to say it until it gets through so here goes.

IT HAS GOT FECK ALL TO DO WITH BEING PC OR ANY OF THAT S***e !!!

It has gone because we spend more time moderating this section of what is a FOOTBALL forum as grown men cannot discuss/ debate/ talk to each other in a civil manner and too many people were coming on to this section with no interest at all in the discussion about the club. You want to spend more time talking politics then i'm sure I can find another forum for you to join where people can argue the toss all night, slag each other off, insult each other, threaten each other the lot and you know what I couldn't give a toss but on here it ain't happening.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
To repeat what Mark has already said, not sure how many times it has to be said or how to say it until it gets through so here goes.

IT HAS GOT FECK ALL TO DO WITH BEING PC OR ANY OF THAT S***e !!!

It has gone because we spend more time moderating this section of what is a FOOTBALL forum as grown men cannot discuss/ debate/ talk to each other in a civil manner and too many people were coming on to this section with no interest at all in the discussion about the club. You want to spend more time talking politics then i'm sure I can find another forum for you to join where people can argue the toss all night, slag each other off, insult each other, threaten each other the lot and you know what I couldn't give a toss but on here it ain't happening.
It's called Facebook  ;)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 11:40:13 AM »
Whilst accepting that what I'm about to say is generalising a lot, it says to me that too many people are too accepting of the steady decline in moral standards in all walks of life. Showing kindness and compassion is too widely regarded as a weakness rather than a strength.

It's become the norm on Internet forums and social media to mock, criticise and verbally abuse others for their actions and opinions, even where those being treated badly are actually trying to do good. It's a very sad state of affairs.

Until all of this changes (and I don't think it will), the world will simply steadily become a worse and worse place to live.

Offline KYA

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
Fully agree about PC and all the other stuff that has slowly crept into society like a disease over the last 40yrs, for me the world is a far more unpleasant and miserable place now than 40yrs ago it was far from perfect but people got along better in my humble opinion.