West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 99771 times)

Offline Xpresso

• Youth Baggie
Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #1075 on: August 12, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
Some of the comments are becoming downright offensive and verging on racist. Some people need to stop and read through what they've written before they hit the Post button.

Offline The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach
« Reply #1076 on: August 12, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
I despair sometimes, we have been competitive in every game, could have had more points could have had less, but the defence can be sorted with the players at our disposal, its the midfield and forward line that was more of a concern going into the season, midfield still is a concern, but we are scoring and creating, the glass should be half full, not half empty.
Notes from a small island!

Offline frazzle

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1077 on: August 12, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »
Some strange comments. We were all on a high before Bolton, then there was meltdown until yesterday when it calmed down a bit. I put it down to posters who only know of the premier league days.

Offline slate

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1078 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »
Some of the comments are becoming downright offensive and verging on racist. Some people need to stop and read through what they've written before they hit the Post button.

Which comments are verging on being racist?

There is zero place for that here.

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1079 on: August 12, 2018, 04:44:28 PM »
Moderators, i think this topic should be ended. It has become far too personal. Let’s focus on football issues.
I agree to an extent, happy for the tpic to remain but some comments are getting a bit too personal.

Can people stick to discussing Darren Mooore as a Head Coach and not the man himself please
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1080 on: August 12, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »

Please forward any racist comments to myself, they and the person making them will be removed from this forum

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1081 on: August 12, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
I agree to an extent, happy for the tpic to remain but some comments are getting a bit too personal.

Can people stick to discussing Darren Mooore as a Head Coach and not the man himself please

I think you need to be wary about censoring this topic too much. For example, how well Darren does in interviews does relate to his job as head coach. Also, both Pulis and Pardew got dog's abuse on here on a personal level and a lot of posts of that nature remained. It's a difficult line to draw to discuss his performance as a head coach without it being in some way personal. Many football fans up and down the land would have reason at times to call their club's manager "clueless", but I'm sure posts where people say that wouldn't be removed.

Obviously racist abuse of any kind shouldn't be tolerated, no matter who is the subject of it.

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1082 on: August 12, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »
I think you need to be wary about censoring this topic too much. For example, how well Darren does in interviews does relate to his job as head coach. Also, both Pulis and Pardew got dog's abuse on here on a personal level and a lot of posts of that nature remained. It's a difficult line to draw to discuss his performance as a head coach without it being in some way personal. Many football fans up and down the land would have reason at times to call their club's manager "clueless", but I'm sure posts where people say that wouldn't be removed.

Obviously racist abuse of any kind shouldn't be tolerated, no matter who is the subject of it.

I know all about abuse that previous managers received, most of it didn't remain on the forum to be seen. I know there is a difference between personal abuse and criticism. Criticism is fine, abuse is not and as such abusive comments will be removed.

I think it might be time for us to step down as it seems plenty of you think you are able to do a better job moderating the forum than we are.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1083 on: August 12, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
And our fan base is not going to be any more knowledgeable if they make judgements based on three games.
Well, there were plenty of people who wanted Darren to get the head coach's job permanently on the basis of him being in charge for just 6 games. Those same people can't now reasonably claim that he should be given 15-20 games this season before anyone judges him. He got the job on the back of 6 games, so it's only right and proper for him to be under scrutiny from the outset this season.

There are failings in the side that are apparent to everyone, and I'm sure people will be happier to cut Darren more slack if they see evidence that he's recognised those failings for himself and taken steps to address them. We're 3 games in now and the obvious problems all still glaringly remain.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1084 on: August 12, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
I think it might be time for us to step down as it seems plenty of you think you are able to do a better job moderating the forum than we are.
My post was just a polite response suggesting a bit of caution, nothing more.

Online OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #1085 on: August 12, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
My post was just a polite response suggesting a bit of caution, nothing more.

I think we're aware thanks

Offline alex1

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1086 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »
Just listened to the video interview with Graeme Jones. He comes across as impressive, good attitude and a believer in good attacking football. As number 2 to Roberto Martinez's Belgium you can see why. What's important is that he's come to the club because of DM. The 2 are good friends, but Jones and his football philosophy will have a big impact. DM's success as a manager will partly be down to Jones.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline timdon

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1087 on: August 12, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
Well, there were plenty of people who wanted Darren to get the head coach's job permanently on the basis of him being in charge for just 6 games. Those same people can't now reasonably claim that he should be given 15-20 games this season before anyone judges him. He got the job on the back of 6 games, so it's only right and proper for him to be under scrutiny from the outset this season.

There are failings in the side that are apparent to everyone, and I'm sure people will be happier to cut Darren more slack if they see evidence that he's recognised those failings for himself and taken steps to address them. We're 3 games in now and the obvious problems all still glaringly remain.
I think that's a bit simplistic. He got the job on the back of 6 games, the fact that he holds all the necessary coaching badges, his obvious qualities as a motivator both with the youths and the first team, his dedication and honesty, and (importantly) that he has West Brom in his heart and understood the need for the club to re-connect with the fans. He was a good candidate, a somewhat risky one given his lack of experience, but sometimes risks can work out well. He is clearly trying to build a new team with a new mentality, more attacking, more entertaining, more enjoyable, but he is not a wizard and we have to be a bit patient surely and cut him a bit of slack for now.
By the way, just a quick comment on a couple of other comments from the above posts. To Xpresso, I have looked back and can't find a single comment that is even remotely racist, so I don't know why you suggested such a thing. And to Oldbury, you are doing a great job moderating the site, and I can say this despite having the odd post of my own removed. Critics should have a look at some of the other shambolic fans' forums around before being so quick to criticise.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:33:32 PM by timdon »

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1088 on: August 12, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »

6 games?!?! I'm pretty certain he was around the club much longer then that with other parts of the club and impressed enough to work his way up.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1089 on: August 12, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
6 games?!?! I'm pretty certain he was around the club much longer then that with other parts of the club and impressed enough to work his way up.
How many fans can truly claim to know anything one way or the other about the quality of his work prior to becoming head coach?

I'm giving him a chance, as anyone should with a new manager or player, but I disagree that he should somehow be excused any scrutiny for what he does or doesn't do.

Offline geoff

• WBA Coach
« Reply #1090 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:15 PM »
How many of us know that Darren had put his head into the lion's mouth taking on the Albion has his 1st managerial job,
i'd say all of us but we wished him well.
Give him at least best part of the season to see if can get the team pulling in right direction.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1091 on: August 12, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
I have plenty of good mates i would not work with, The fact that Graeme Jones has felt confident enough to walk away from Belgium job to team up with DM suggests 9to me at least) that DM is no mug and a top coach thinks the same clearly.
I also think DM deserve credit for getting GJ here!
I'll reserve judgement on the new teams gelling at Xmas and not before.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Offline OllieTheBaggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1092 on: August 12, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »
Bottom line is, Big Dave's here to manage a squad of professional footballs, and try and win football games based on his assessment of the team and individuals. He may not be a gifted orator in some people's eyes, but that's not his job. The way someone speaks is usually a reflection of their upbringing rather than their intelligence.

Donald Trump/Alan Sugar have a far more limited vocabulary than Big Dave, yet they know how to run a successful business better than 99% of people. Just because someone isn't an eloquent speaker, doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

Offline The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach
« Reply #1093 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
Bottom line is, Big Dave's here to manage a squad of professional footballs, and try and win football games based on his assessment of the team and individuals. He may not be a gifted orator in some people's eyes, but that's not his job. The way someone speaks is usually a reflection of their upbringing rather than their intelligence.

Donald Trump/Alan Sugar have a far more limited vocabulary than Big Dave, yet they know how to run a successful business better than 99% of people. Just because someone isn't an eloquent speaker, doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

Spot on, I would add that people who are successful are aware of their limitations, they make up for those by employing people around them who bring those skills to the party, that is the sign of intelligence, not their ability to trot out a line to the media.
The arrogant think they know it all, the smart ones know they don't and utilise the knowledge of others, a life lesson many could learn, but many don't.
Notes from a small island!

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1094 on: August 12, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
I can't see why people get so offended at people's honest opinions
If you knew neither of them, and based on a 3 minute interview I'd suggest that most would choose Pardew to go on a general knowledge game show over Big Dave

That doesn't make you racist or disparaging, it's just taking what you see and hear at face value?
I don't think he talks too well in interview, but then I don't really care , if he (and Mr Jones) can train the group during the week and get the most out of them I'm happy..
We are a full week in to the season, we really do have to be a little bit more considered and patience , there are many a team that will set up not to lose to us and many a team that have some good players, we should not sack him yet, we should be free with realistic critics my and we should be grown up enough to accept that others have opinions too.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline slate

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1095 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »

Oh where to start?

Alan Sugar is a very accomplished businessman who is self-made and was one of the first people to get into the start of the vast computer business. He can speak both eloquently and with purpose.

Donald Trump, however, is an ignorant narcissistic propagandist who squandered his father's money and has left behind him a string of failed businesses, controversial relationships and now looks forward to his chief campaign aides and family being indicted for conspiracy to defraud the electoral process of the United States of America.

Big Dave just plays Chris Brunt in the wrong position.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #1096 on: August 13, 2018, 06:10:59 AM »
In general fans pay too much attention to what Coaches say to the media pre and post match. For the most part it is a minefield which they are seeking to navigate without causing controversy and by convention without throwing their players under the bus.

Was Moore happy with Nyom's performance on Saturday? Probably not but he also knows the player far better than any of us and knows enough to not to hang the player out to dry. That does not mean to say he won't drop him or give him an earful in private.

There are some coaches who are very comfortable in front of the cameras and others less so. Some are so full of bs regardless of their eloquence they are far more embarrassing than any slightly stilted interview that Darren Moore might give.

Pardew was the ultimate smooth operator and exudes confidence and charm. Yet he is the emptiest of empty suits.

Ultimately judge a coach by want happens on the pitch that is their work the shape of the team the tactics what they get out of a group of players is it more or less than could be reasonably be expected?

Yes they are the public face of the club but all we can ask is they conduct themselves with a bit of dignity in sometimes trying circumstances and have a some personal integrity in a job which does not always reward it.

Don't worry too much about Darren's media persona but pray to everything holy that he finds the wisdom to abandon this bloody 4-4-2.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline letmereadposts

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #1097 on: August 13, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
Not sure previous managers received such early criticism.

In my opinion, Darren Moore has some hugely undervalued qualities considering the posts we're seeing in this thread.

Big Dave has a level of emotional intelligence and self awareness rarely seen other than those who are top managers. His tactics in midfield are interesting to say the least but let's get something straight here - no one knows our best 11 yet, I totally appreciate he needs time.

In addition he is fully qualified and has an industry leading assistant coach.

I could go on, but I'm just happy we have some identity and integrity back thanks to Darren Moore.

Offline Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #1098 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
Leave him alone. He's in charge and I for one will support him for that. He's certainly doing his best in what is possibly one of the more complicated businesses. Yes there are some faults but there are everywhere if you look hard enough. Ok we don't set up as some would like but lets not forget - on Saturday we actually scored 4 goals away from home. That didn't happen in the recent past. So we let 3 in but if you score more than your opponents you will win any game.
Based on previous occupants of the role it would be possible to say that it is easier to defend than attack. TP obviously thought so which was dire. AP tried to attack but lacked any idea. Big Dave is slowly getting things right. We won't just go through this league winning every week. When Reading won it at a canter they lost their first game. Better to start slowly and improve than to implode dramatically mid way through.
Let just be happy - we actually look like we are trying which is something.

Offline don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie
« Reply #1099 on: August 13, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
Not sure previous managers received such early criticism.

In my opinion, Darren Moore has some hugely undervalued qualities considering the posts we're seeing in this thread.

Big Dave has a level of emotional intelligence and self awareness rarely seen other than those who are top managers. His tactics in midfield are interesting to say the least but let's get something straight here - no one knows our best 11 yet, I totally appreciate he needs time.

In addition he is fully qualified and has an industry leading assistant coach.

I could go on, but I'm just happy we have some identity and integrity back thanks to Darren Moore.
Great post fella, thanks!