West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Darren Moore sacked  (Read 253512 times)

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
Re: Darren Moore sacked
« Reply #525 on: May 21, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
Let's give Big Dave time and patience. For the first time in my memory, there's a true Albion man in charge.  That's got to be worth celebrating!  Hope the Hawthorns is rocking again next season; we have to play our part too.

I think that's key. I would hope that he has got some time in the bank from all fans and we remember what he has been a part of when things get tough and results don't go as expected.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #526 on: May 21, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
Will have full support from me, more than I would give most managers certainly given his status in my eyes, as all managers get from me when they first start until it becomes obvious that they are not right for the job.

Time to get behind the boys and hope for an extremely successful season with some exciting signings.

Offline wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #527 on: May 21, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Happy with what has come out of the press conference today. I didn't want Moore to get the job, but I would love it if he turns out to be a revelation.

Surprised we haven't had the retained list yet, expect we'll see it in the next couple of days. With our supposed 'strong budget', hopefully we won't be feeling the need to hang on to players who we really should be letting go. I'd be disappointed if Moore retains Myhill, Morrison and McAuley out of loyalty, we really need to be moving on.

Offline MarkW

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #528 on: May 21, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »
Happy with what has come out of the press conference today. I didn't want Moore to get the job, but I would love it if he turns out to be a revelation.

Surprised we haven't had the retained list yet, expect we'll see it in the next couple of days. With our supposed 'strong budget', hopefully we won't be feeling the need to hang on to players who we really should be letting go. I'd be disappointed if Moore retains Myhill, Morrison and McAuley out of loyalty, we really need to be moving on.

Re: a retained list. Think DM said that he would be speaking to the players this week, so I would expect something to come out next week
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #529 on: May 21, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
With regard to the player situation, I am far more comfortable with the reasoned, measured and calculated approach that Darren and the club are employing in this area, more so than the "shoot from the hip" approach and get rid ASAP approach as it's "more professional".

We live in a society where most things are disposable, including relationships, and instant success is a demanded more than something to be earned.

I am very optimistic about the new era the club, Head Coach et al, players and us fans are embarking on, my half full glass is overflowing 
“We create success or failure on the pitch primarily by our thoughts.”

Offline Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #530 on: May 21, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Was disappointed to see a bit of the negative feedback about Moore getting the job. He's earned it on merit, yes albeit as a Caretaker and the pressure off but we haven't had any momentum in some time now so thought it would be foolish not to be opportunistic and instead appoint someone with so called experience (and look whats thats give us this past 18 months).

Everything is in Big Dave's favour; the players, the coaches, the staff, the board, football people in general really....and hopefully all our supporters! He's been promoted 4 times and knows how it's done and rightly managing everyones expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoBu2ZLLhU

Come on Big Dave and COYB!

Astle is the King!

Offline SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »
Just seen the interview. I have never wanted a manager to succeed as much as I do Darren Moore. We have to wait and see about style and how he does but in terms of a person representing our club I have not been as proud in a long time. After the Pulis era and Pardew debacle (taxi gate etc) to have DM in charge Represents a new day.
If people think of the Albion and see Darren Moore then I am proud of that.
What an amazing ambassador.

Hoping he can be successful.

Offline Maresca Was A Baggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
Just seen the interview. I have never wanted a manager to succeed as much as I do Darren Moore. We have to wait and see about style and how he does but in terms of a person representing our club I have not been as proud in a long time. After the Pulis era and Pardew debacle (taxi gate etc) to have DM in charge Represents a new day.
If people think of the Albion and see Darren Moore then I am proud of that.
What an amazing ambassador.

Hoping he can be successful.

Very well said indeed sir :)

Offline liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #533 on: May 21, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
Dave is also a member of the management committee of the PFA.
He has completed his FA badges,he's been promoted 4 times.
Born in Handsworth as well.
He is certainly no lightweight as some seem to portray him.
A well respected person in football.
I think his time has arrived,he's paid his dues,he will succeed at the Albion, the club he loves.
Well done mate,can't wait to see who we sign and maybe not all will leave.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #534 on: May 21, 2018, 06:18:48 PM »
Was disappointed to see a bit of the negative feedback about Moore getting the job. He's earned it on merit, yes albeit as a Caretaker and the pressure off but we haven't had any momentum in some time now so thought it would be foolish not to be opportunistic and instead appoint someone with so called experience (and look whats thats give us this past 18 months).

Everything is in Big Dave's favour; the players, the coaches, the staff, the board, football people in general really....and hopefully all our supporters! He's been promoted 4 times and knows how it's done and rightly managing everyones expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoBu2ZLLhU

Come on Big Dave and COYB!

in today's world, people make a good living out of having an opposing view, sometime they are right and sometimes they are not, but hindsight is a wonderful vision.

I prefer to go with my initial "gut feeling" and Darren will do for me!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:40:13 PM by OldburyWBA »
“We create success or failure on the pitch primarily by our thoughts.”

Offline charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #535 on: May 21, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »
When I first heard it was Darren Moore it didn't really excite me ,but listening to his interview and watching footage when he played for us I'm beginning to warm to his appointment.Wears his heart on his sleeve and a Baggie through and through.Heres a thought to throw around Assistant Head coach to be named.  Gary Megson anyone ?? :o

Offline Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #536 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
I think everyone loves Big Dave, even though there are doubts about whether he is the right bloke for the job (there would be no candidate who everyone wanted)

What comes across though in his interviews is how much this means to him, when he talks about his love of the Albion, he means it, we have had numerous managers previous who say all the right things - famous old club, loyal fanbase, etc, etc and they probably mean it in their own way but Big Dave is one of us and he just gets it.

This isnt just any ex player taking over, i said previous if we wanted the sentiment route we could of got Super Bob, AJ, etc in, but this is Darren Moore, quite possibly the biggest cult hero of the last 20 years, certainly in the top 3, a legend already who has worked his way up, got the qualifications and now has the chance which he probably one day dreamed of he when he first started those badges and on the coaching ladder.

I have never wanted somebody to succeed at the Albion as much as i do Big Dave, a gentle giant, a great man and so far it would seem a very good coach too, i think we will see a team reflecting his values on the pitch and that can only be a good thing, i think every player will be made to earn their corn and play with some pride, hopefully with plenty of entertainment along the way.

Offline charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #537 on: May 21, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
I think everyone loves Big Dave, even though there are doubts about whether he is the right bloke for the job (there would be no candidate who everyone wanted)

What comes across though in his interviews is how much this means to him, when he talks about his love of the Albion, he means it, we have had numerous managers previous who say all the right things - famous old club, loyal fanbase, etc, etc and they probably mean it in their own way but Big Dave is one of us and he just gets it.

This isnt just any ex player taking over, i said previous if we wanted the sentiment route we could of got Super Bob, AJ, etc in, but this is Darren Moore, quite possibly the biggest cult hero of the last 20 years, certainly in the top 3, a legend already who has worked his way up, got the qualifications and now has the chance which he probably one day dreamed of he when he first started those badges and on the coaching ladder.

I have never wanted somebody to succeed at the Albion as much as i do Big Dave, a gentle giant, a great man and so far it would seem a very good coach too, i think we will see a team reflecting his values on the pitch and that can only be a good thing, i think every player will be made to earn their corn and play with some pride, hopefully with plenty of entertainment along the way.
.    Well said Baggie 79 my sentiments exactly.Great post

Offline Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #538 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
in today's world, people make a good living out of having an opposing view, sometime they are right and sometimes they are not, but hindsight is a wonderful vision.

I prefer to go with my initial "gut feeling" and Darren will do for me!!

Certainly! However I did just think it would of been a lot more heartbreaking starting next season on a bad run with a different man in charge, would of been a really horrible 'what if' moment if we didn't try ride the momentum but yeah of course theres not guarantee Big Dave is going to succeed but lets cross that bridge when come to it  ;D
Astle is the King!

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #539 on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
I've been waiting to hear more on Darren's thoughts on our style of play going forward. We didn't get much today apart from "play attractive football when it's needed". It was good to see him mention attractive football, but what he meant by "when it's needed" is unclear.

To my mind, positive attacking football (and I don't mean Route 1) should be Plan A, with other approaches being the fall-back. Having a resilient defence is fine, but we need to have possession more and show more intent and threat when we do have the ball.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
I've been waiting to hear more on Darren's thoughts on our style of play going forward. We didn't get much today apart from "play attractive football when it's needed". It was good to see him mention attractive football, but what he meant by "when it's needed" is unclear.

To my mind, positive attacking football (and I don't mean Route 1) should be Plan A, with other approaches being the fall-back. Having a resilient defence is fine, but we need to have possession more and show more intent and threat when we do have the ball.

From reports thus far, I'm not sure style is top of the agenda.

If I've understood DM right he's basically saying he'll adopt "situation management" to games to get results.
Like others have said, I'm not sure how big DM's tactical portfolio is, if it's limited, you would hope we'd employ an assistant to fill the gaps.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »
From reports thus far, I'm not sure style is top of the agenda.
Jenkins said what he said a few weeks ago and I thing it would be wrong for the club to try to quietly sweep that under the carpet. Style of play is key to deciding what players to sign, so it can't be ignored. "Situation management" smacks of playing for 1-0 wins to me and I don't want to see us going down that road once again.

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2018, 10:46:05 PM »
Jenkins said what he said a few weeks ago and I thing it would be wrong for the club to try to quietly sweep that under the carpet. Style of play is key to deciding what players to sign, so it can't be ignored. "Situation management" smacks of playing for 1-0 wins to me and I don't want to see us going down that road once again.

Worked with Sir Gary Megson.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #543 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Worked with Sir Gary Megson.
Yes and it wasn't good to watch, unless all you're bothered about is winning the game at any cost. Do you really want yet more negative football after 3 years of Pulis?

Offline costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #544 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
Situation management could also refer to changes made during a game.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Offline ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #545 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »
With regard to the player situation, I am far more comfortable with the reasoned, measured and calculated approach that Darren and the club are employing in this area, more so than the "shoot from the hip" approach and get rid ASAP approach as it's "more professional".

We live in a society where most things are disposable, including relationships, and instant success is a demanded more than something to be earned.

I am very optimistic about the new era the club, Head Coach et al, players and us fans are embarking on, my half full glass is overflowing

Great post.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Offline liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #546 on: May 21, 2018, 10:56:37 PM »
Why don't we give Gary Megson a swerve now guys,he's history ,getting a bit fed up of him being something of a recurring mesiah.

Offline ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #547 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:48 PM »
Lads its a results business and soon as you get that in your heads all will be fine. I don't want to be playing pretty football and stuck in midtable of Championship and there's teams that do that.

If you don't conceed goals you get 1 point, and you build from there, there's no guarantee of points if you score 2-3 goals in a game, if your defence is poor

Offline kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #548 on: May 21, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »
Yes and it wasn't good to watch, unless all you're bothered about is winning the game at any cost. Do you really want yet more negative football after 3 years of Pulis?

If Darren does the same as Megson, play offs in the first season in charge and the promotion in the second year fans wont care if it is 1-0 wins just so long as they win. One thing they wont stand for is defeat after defeat no matter if the football is attractive.
Smethwick Born, Tipton Bred. Worcester Oldie.

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »

"Situation Management" is exactly what it says on the tin, you manage situations.

As far as player recruitment is concerned, I agree with a number of other posters, that we're screaming out for a number 10.
At this stage, we don't know who's going & who's staying, but if we're going down the "situation management" route, we'll need a number of versatile players.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?