West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Gareth Barry  (Read 51685 times)

Offline GREGMT

• Youth Baggie
Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #525 on: January 13, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »

Just saying about the importance of midfield to any club with Villa falling apart with loss of Grealish.

So no excuse to not play a BALANCED midfield i.e. not too many old men with no pace.

Offline GREGMT

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #526 on: February 03, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
Has been poor last 2 games.  Looks to be the one most affected by the absence of Phillips and Barnes.  Has been superb for 2 months but needs to pick up his game.

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #527 on: February 03, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
Every player has a bad game now and then no matter who they are. He was well below his best yesterday Barry, but he'll bounce back.
Tears For Fears, Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision, Lai and Jenkins you are fking s h i t.

Offline GREGMT

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #528 on: February 03, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
But we have tons of options in midfield.  How long do we wait for an upturn?  Plus many midweek games to come.

Offline Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #529 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
Completely turned his time around here

Keep it up gareth

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #530 on: February 09, 2019, 07:59:03 PM »
Completely turned his time around here

Keep it up gareth

The coolest head on the pitch today and the best footballer on view for teams in my opinion
respect and humility for everyone, absolutely everyone, who we come into contact with”

Tolerance, Understanding, Acceptance, Patience

Offline bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #531 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »
Absolutely baffling that he would get involved in the taxi gate thing at all after a career completely free of any blemish at stain to his name. I’m glad that that one incident hasn’t defined his time with us. I really didn’t think he’d want the hassle of even trying to turn it around but he’s showed again what a great example he can be to our youngsters.

Offline ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #532 on: February 09, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
I agree i think alot of fans just don't realise what he does for the team, yes he's 38, but its the calming influence, and gives the team a platform to go forward. His positional play, he seems to crop up in the right place at the right time. 

Yes he had a bad game v Boro, but surely everyone is allowed a few in a season. All i know since he came properly into the team and switch to a back 4 weve been alot better.

Offline zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #533 on: February 09, 2019, 08:59:34 PM »
I agree i think alot of fans just don't realise what he does for the team, yes he's 38, but its the calming influence, and gives the team a platform to go forward. His positional play, he seems to crop up in the right place at the right time. 

Yes he had a bad game v Boro, but surely everyone is allowed a few in a season. All i know since he came properly into the team and switch to a back 4 weve been alot better.
I think most fans DO realise what he offers
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #534 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
I think most fans DO realise what he offers

Agree, it's a minority who can't identify what he brings to the team, a couple of very strange comments in todays in-game thread.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:03 PM »
Personally, I’d be offering him a contract extension, even if we do go up, he is class, in spite of his advancing years  :)
respect and humility for everyone, absolutely everyone, who we come into contact with”

Offline wbako

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #536 on: February 09, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »
Head and shoulders our best midfielder. He oozes quality at this level.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Offline Mo

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #537 on: February 09, 2019, 10:01:42 PM »
Absolutely baffling that he would get involved in the taxi gate thing at all after a career completely free of any blemish at stain to his name. I’m glad that that one incident hasn’t defined his time with us. I really didn’t think he’d want the hassle of even trying to turn it around but he’s showed again what a great example he can be to our youngsters.

Whilst we don’t know the full facts of taxi gate the guy has always struck me as a model professional. I once holidayed in the same hotel as him during the summer break and he was in the gym most mornings .There were other pros there at the same time and they all finished years ago .

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #538 on: February 10, 2019, 10:43:14 AM »
Rolls Royce of a midfielder
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #539 on: February 17, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
I was at the game yesterday, and when he was substituted just before the end,he applauded the Albion fans, also applauded the Villa fans as he was walking off the pitch, and then turned back and came all the way back to Livermore to give him the armband, whilst giving our players a breather. A real pro. Made me smile.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2019, 01:19:56 PM »
I was at the game yesterday, and when he was substituted just before the end,he applauded the Albion fans, also applauded the Villa fans as he was walking off the pitch, and then turned back and came all the way back to Livermore to give him the armband, whilst giving our players a breather. A real pro. Made me smile.

It's little things like that that usually go unnoticed but do make a difference. Lot's of little things contribute to a big thing. Comes with experience.
Tears For Fears, Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision, Lai and Jenkins you are fking s h i t.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #541 on: February 17, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
Even at 39 years young, he is imperious. Is there a better midfielder of his type in the Championship? I doubt it. If only we could erase the 9 and substitute it with a 0 or the 3 for a 2

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #542 on: February 17, 2019, 03:42:26 PM »
Even at 39 years young, he is imperious. Is there a better midfielder of his type in the Championship? I doubt it. If only we could erase the 9 and substitute it with a 0 or the 3 for a 2

He wouldn't thank you for that, he doesn't even turn 38 until next week.

A veritable spring chicken is Gareth  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie
« Reply #543 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
He wouldn't thank you for that, he doesn't even turn 38 until next week.

A veritable spring chicken is Gareth  ;D  ;) .

The news gets better, in that case he has years in front of him  :D

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #544 on: February 17, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
An absolute class act.

Offline Andio

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #545 on: February 17, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/02/17/gareth-barry-i-didnt-want-to-run-away-after-west-broms-relegation/

Gareth Barry stayed at Albion to try and right the wrongs of last season – and says winning promotion would rank as one of the great achievements of his career.

Barry, who captained the Baggies to a 2-0 victory over former club Villa at the weekend, admitted it felt 'odd' leading out another team at Villa Park, particularly in a derby.

But the veteran midfielder, who has become a crucial member of Darren Moore's team, is glad he stayed at The Hawthorns.

“There was a big part of me that wanted to stay around and not just run away after relegation," said Barry. “It is not really in my character.

“I took responsibility, as well as a lot of other players who have hung around this season

“We were all part of the relegation team so I am working hard, as a lot of the other lads are, to put it right and try and get us straight back up.

"That isn't easy, you only have to look at the other teams who have come down. We need to go right until the end.”

Barry has won the Premier League, the FA Cup, and 53 England caps during a celebrated 21-year career.

He also holds the record for the most Premier League appearances, but says winning promotion out of the second tier would give him just as much joy.

“It would be a great achievement on the back of last season," he said. "To take on this challenge when everyone was at the lowest point and to bounce back – I am speaking ahead of myself of what could possibly happen – but if it was to happen it would be right up with a great achievement in my career."

Barry was at Villa for 12 seasons, and was a former captain of the club, so it was strange for him to lead the Baggies out at Villa Park in a derby,

“It was very odd to be honest," he admitted. "I have come back a few times over the years but to come back here and lead West Brom in a derby game felt slightly strange, I must admit that.

"But once that game kicks off you are just getting on with it."

When he was substituted off towards the end of the game, Barry received a warm round of applause from both sets of fans.

“It was a great feeling to be honest," he said. "I won't forget the 11 or 12 years I spent here.

"To come here at 16 and spend that amount of time at a club is something you won't forget.

"It is nice, you don't know, I may never play at Villa Park again in front of the fans so I was happy I went off in that way."

Barry's previous returns to Villa Park haven't always been so amicable, because plenty of supporters were disappointed in the manner he left for Manchester City back in 2009.

“Deep down I know they really love me," he smiled. "The bigger the player the bigger the boos, is what my family always used to tell me.

"I had a great time here and know the fans respected me. You do get a few boos but I never took anything like that too personally."

--------------

As if this man couldn't go up any higher in my opinion...... well he just did.

As the previous poster said, Class act!

Offline TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager
« Reply #546 on: February 18, 2019, 12:25:01 AM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/02/17/gareth-barry-i-didnt-want-to-run-away-after-west-broms-relegation/

Gareth Barry stayed at Albion to try and right the wrongs of last season – and says winning promotion would rank as one of the great achievements of his career.

Barry, who captained the Baggies to a 2-0 victory over former club Villa at the weekend, admitted it felt 'odd' leading out another team at Villa Park, particularly in a derby.

But the veteran midfielder, who has become a crucial member of Darren Moore's team, is glad he stayed at The Hawthorns.

“There was a big part of me that wanted to stay around and not just run away after relegation," said Barry. “It is not really in my character.

“I took responsibility, as well as a lot of other players who have hung around this season

“We were all part of the relegation team so I am working hard, as a lot of the other lads are, to put it right and try and get us straight back up.

"That isn't easy, you only have to look at the other teams who have come down. We need to go right until the end.”

Barry has won the Premier League, the FA Cup, and 53 England caps during a celebrated 21-year career.

He also holds the record for the most Premier League appearances, but says winning promotion out of the second tier would give him just as much joy.

“It would be a great achievement on the back of last season," he said. "To take on this challenge when everyone was at the lowest point and to bounce back – I am speaking ahead of myself of what could possibly happen – but if it was to happen it would be right up with a great achievement in my career."

Barry was at Villa for 12 seasons, and was a former captain of the club, so it was strange for him to lead the Baggies out at Villa Park in a derby,

“It was very odd to be honest," he admitted. "I have come back a few times over the years but to come back here and lead West Brom in a derby game felt slightly strange, I must admit that.

"But once that game kicks off you are just getting on with it."

When he was substituted off towards the end of the game, Barry received a warm round of applause from both sets of fans.

“It was a great feeling to be honest," he said. "I won't forget the 11 or 12 years I spent here.

"To come here at 16 and spend that amount of time at a club is something you won't forget.

"It is nice, you don't know, I may never play at Villa Park again in front of the fans so I was happy I went off in that way."

Barry's previous returns to Villa Park haven't always been so amicable, because plenty of supporters were disappointed in the manner he left for Manchester City back in 2009.

“Deep down I know they really love me," he smiled. "The bigger the player the bigger the boos, is what my family always used to tell me.

"I had a great time here and know the fans respected me. You do get a few boos but I never took anything like that too personally."

--------------

As if this man couldn't go up any higher in my opinion...... well he just did.

As the previous poster said, Class act!

The cynic in me says he stayed because he had an option on an extra year with no hope of a more lucrative deal elsewhere after a disastrous 12 months...

Luckily for both us and him he has had a great season and is able to spout the above platitudes.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #547 on: February 18, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
I heard a rumour at the start of this season that his wife game him a proper dressing down in the summer; stuff along the lines of 'wasting the last years of his career behaving like an idiot' and 'how do you want to be remembered?'. Don't know how right it is of course, but it would account for a change in attitude.

Offline geoff

• WBA Coach
« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2019, 01:49:50 PM »
I heard a rumour at the start of this season that his wife game him a proper dressing down in the summer; stuff along the lines of 'wasting the last years of his career behaving like an idiot' and 'how do you want to be remembered?'. Don't know how right it is of course, but it would account for a change in attitude.

Behind every great man is a even greater woman or so my wife said :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:51:28 PM by OldburyWBA »

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #549 on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »

The cynic in me says he stayed because he had an option on an extra year with no hope of a more lucrative deal elsewhere after a disastrous 12 months...

Luckily for both us and him he has had a great season and is able to spout the above platitudes.
Oh dear.
Do you really think the guy needed the money and his performances are down to luck?
And to call his comments which to me seem laudable, platitudes, is in my opinion extremely harsh.
Not his biggest fan?