West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Too much possession  (Read 1407 times)

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
Too much possession
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
A lot is made of possession stats and our lack of it, but it seems the more possession we have the worse the result, 49% against Palace, 32% against Bournemouth, 38% against Stoke, the list goes on.
Is the answer to playing against us just to let us have the ball? If so, what do we do about it.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
Re: Too much possession
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
I think our possession stats are skewed a bit by whether or not we are winning the game.
If we are in front we very often sit back and soak up the pressure (too much sometimes)...but we've often ended up winning those games this year with very low possession stats.
Palace were playing in a similar style to ourselves so sat back especially after they went in front. So our stats were up.

Offline FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
The main drawback of the Pulis style for me is that it relies on having less possesion, which means that we spend most of the match on the defensive. It also means that when a team uses our own tactics against us, and keep giving us the ball, we don't know what to do because that is not the game plan we have prepared for.

So while I want an Albion side that tries to keep possession as much as possible, I acknowledge that this team is not built to do so.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »
Stop Albion by giving them the ball. For the love of everything holly is it only me that thinks that is utterly pathetic.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
Stop Albion by giving them the ball. For the love of everything holly is it only me that thinks that is utterly pathetic.
I don't see numerous teams employing this unproven tactic though. The way we are playing is working in the enough games and has been pretty decent to watch....lets's not let Saturday colour the whole season ?

Offline baggiebof

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:17:58 AM »

That's the evolution that needs to happen, players most comfortable on and carrying the ball - especially in full back areas in my opinion.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:53:16 AM »
I don't see numerous teams employing this unproven tactic though. The way we are playing is working in the enough games and has been pretty decent to watch....lets's not let Saturday colour the whole season ?

To date at the Hawthorns three teams have done it in the Premier League 'Boro and Palace. We scored against neither.  Once they were in the lead Derby did it the cup (before they went in the lead they had more possession yes, a Championship side out passed us). The better teams aren't worried by us at all and oddly might slip up but generally haven't as yet.  Thinking about  it Watford also probably came with the same game plan but were undone by conceding an early goal from a corner.

If more teams in the bottom half do it consistently the fewer points we are going to get.

That's the evolution that needs to happen, players most comfortable on and carrying the ball - especially in full back areas in my opinion.

We aren't evolving at all we have just been more effective . Our possession stats are still the same and our shots per game are still among the lowest in the league. This is as good as it gets Pulis won't change fundamentally
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:55:13 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »
Just thinking about how we played under recent managers and are we that different ?

Hodgson - some good games where we got it down and passed but plenty of pretty dire games where we played far more long ball than we do now...the likes of Olsson and Reid hoofing it upfield for Long to chase as best he could.
Clarke....openly talked about the counter attacking style which suited the pace of Odemwingie, Long and Lakaku
I'll skip Pepe for no reason
Irvine seemed to want more possession, we used to pass it around with no cutting edge, and little end result.

I haven't bothered to search for possession stats under these managers but I'm not sure they would have been drastically different to now. I know our squad has generally improved (except for up front)....but so has everyone elses.

Offline Wigmore

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »
Don't get so prickly. ;)