Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363224 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1550 on: June 05, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
Ok, but it is unusual to report it this way.  e.g. Berahino was reported as a £21m deal.  Not a £5m deal with loads of unlikely clauses that may bump it up.

The first time I read the Percy quote 'Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months' I thought it meant you could buy him for £5m this summer or £10m next summer.  It's not clear.
That's how I read it too mate. Why would it be referred to in this way . If the deal is £10m but in two payments of £5m it's still a £10m deal. Did we sign Oliver Burke for £15m or £5m, £5m, £5m. I think all we are going to get for JRod is £5m
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:01:34 PM by OldburyWBA »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1551 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Percy isn't usually far off. I take what he says at face value. Burnley or whoever can buy him for 5m this summer but have to pay a further 5m after a year - so 2 installments. No doubt other sources would class it as 10m as they like quoting the highest full figure they can.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1552 on: June 05, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
For those who think £10 million is a good deal for Rodriguez, are they confident we will bring in a striker good for 22 goals next season? Because I'm not.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1553 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
That's how I read it too mate. Why would it be referred to in this way . If the deal is £10m but in two payments of £5m it's still a £10m deal. Did we sign Oliver Burke for £15m or £5m, £5m, £5m. I think all we are going to get for JRod is £5m

I knew I'd read something else that made me think it wasn't a straight-forward £10m fee (in 2 instalments).

Matt Wilson
‏Verified account @mattwilson_star
22h22 hours ago

Not sure myself what figure Jay Rodriguez’s release clause is, but he does have one. Both @bodenknights and now @JPercyTelegraph saying £5m up front + £5m add-ons. If it’s that low, you’d be surprised if he was a #wba player come the start of next season...

The question is; what is an add-on?  Is it a milestone that has to be met?  I don't think an add-on is normally a straight-forward 2nd instalment.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:27:02 PM by Mr Cynical »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1554 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »
I can accept 10 guaranteed but 5 wth MAYBE another 5 is nuts.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1556 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
On his way to Burnley.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7223817/Jay-Rodriguez-rejoin-Burnley-10m-switch-West-Brom.html
As with Dawson, I just don't think he'll be a regular in the Prem. He won't get the chances that he did in the Championship and his all round game is not strong enough, in my opinion. Life at the lower end of the Prem, is a different kettle of fish, especially for a striker.
We'll miss his goals though and, with Gayle looking like a no go, that is very worrying.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1557 on: July 08, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
This is bad news in my eyes. A good solid reliable goal scorer at this level.  Hoped it wouldn’t happen but feared that it might.We had better have replacements lined up......

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1558 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »
Only club in England who seem to be giving their players away, another joke of a fee if true Albion must be desperate to get high earners of wage bill, are there financial issues that board are not telling fans about?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1559 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Perhaps it is part of there contract they stay for one season at reduced wages but have a a release clause in their contract to be sold the season after at a cut price figure if we fail to bounce back.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1560 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1148150564112470016

#wba striker Jay Rodriguez is on the brink of rejoining #BurnleyFC in a deal worth up to £10m. Burnley triggered his release clause - £5m up front with £5m guaranteed 12 months later - over the weekend

Looks like a whole new front line is going to be required else we are relying on HRK !

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1561 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
Perhaps it is part of there contract they stay for one season at reduced wages but have a a release clause in their contract to be sold the season after at a cut price figure if we fail to bounce back.

I think that’s probably true. Not good news for us though

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1562 on: July 08, 2019, 09:47:29 AM »
At least he and Burnley have conducted the business in a professional manner.

Rodriguez didn't agitate for a move and unlike Dawson didn't sulk last year, Burnley met the release clause  - good deal for all

We move on and hopefully let our "Global Search & Player Recruitment" department do their job, of course backed up with full reinvestment of incoming transfer fees and the monies held in our transfer chest  :o

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1563 on: July 08, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
No issue with him going...but who we replace him with is critical.

Frightening thought that we will have HRK and Burke as our only striking options next season.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1564 on: July 08, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
We need to sign three good strikers this summer. One short last year. This season could easily be a disaster and turn into a relegation fight.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1565 on: July 08, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
stupid financial decision if true, that's forty plus goals we need to replace for season to come.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1566 on: July 08, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
A bit disappointed by this simply from a experienced and good valued member of the squad. He scored a lot of penalties last season which masked over his goal scoring credentials but losing him and Gayle is taking a lot of goals out of last seasons team!!!

The very important question is who do we replace him with?! I think we need to start getting some quality bodies through the door very shortly. 1 month to go until the window shuts
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1567 on: July 08, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »
We need to sign three good strikers this summer. One short last year. This season could easily be a disaster and turn into a relegation fight.
can see this happening as I don't trust the board or owner venkies Mark two.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1568 on: July 08, 2019, 09:57:06 AM »
Need 2 quality strikers in ASAP or its going to be a long hard season.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:08:32 AM by gazberg »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1569 on: July 08, 2019, 10:00:13 AM »
I wont begrudge him a move, gone about his football very professionally.

Was always going to end back up at Burnley and I believe if they didn't come in then he would still be here.

The biggest problem is the money upfront doesn't really give us a lot to get in a suitable replacement.

Perhaps it would make more sense for us to try and get some deal with Vydra done whilst we finalise the JRod bits.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1570 on: July 08, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
I'd be a little disappointed to see J Rod go as he's an experienced head that will contribute in the way of goals. That said if Bilic is going to play 4-3-3 next season I'm not entirely certain where J Rod would fit in. Bilic likes to play with a target man and I'm not sure J Rod has the pace to play the wider role.

It's not the end of the world for me as long as the replacements are the correct ones.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1571 on: July 08, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
An interesting reaction to his departure given the slating he got on a regular basis by some of the forum members........
MAGA!

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1572 on: July 08, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
Has been a solid player for us in his time here, I wish him well. A decent deal too - £10m for a player his age with his injury record prior to signing for us and we will be getting high wages off the books, he must be on around £30k a week.

This release clause was very public and therefore I hope/expect that we have attainable targets ready to approach immediately - if the work hasn't started already.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1573 on: July 08, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
I wont begrudge him a move, gone about his football very professionally.

Was always going to end back up at Burnley and I believe if they didn't come in then he would still be here.

The biggest problem is the money upfront doesn't really give us a lot to get in a suitable replacement.

Perhaps it would make more sense for us to try and get some deal with Vydra done whilst we finalise the JRod bits.

Most transfer deals are done in spread out payments.  So it is quite common for the club to receive the transfer fee over two payments.  I expect a lot of our transfers are done over 2/3 payments.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1574 on: July 08, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
I’d be sorry to see JRod leave. He has been a good professional, has caused any problems for the club and has scored goals in the Championship.

How much will it cost to replace him in all these aspects?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.