West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 154425 times)

Offline NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie
Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1550 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »
I think some fans are overreacting just because of how the stories broke.

If this story hadn't broke and Jay was sold for 10million to Burnley, not many of us would bat to much of an eye lid. 10 million for a 29 year old who quite a large part of the fan base have criticised his performances last season, a player who 'only scores penalties.'

Think it's just how its structured that a few people are now moaning about.

Let's be honest, we would all have expected him to be sold for around the 10-12million pound mark anyway.

Just out of curiosity, whats the situation if a couple of clubs come in for him, would we be able to sell him for more or is it literally a '10' million release clause as such.
it would make no sense at all for anyone to bid more than the clause as once a club meets it they are allowed to talk to the player.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1551 on: June 05, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
How have we “lost out on £10m”?

What exactly does Percy say:

Jay Rodriguez could leave West Bromwich Albion this summer for just £5 million due to a release clause inserted last year.

Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months, after striking an agreement with the Championship club last summer.

He reports that Jrod has a £5m release clause.  That is clear.  Other transfer fees are not reported as £10m, when its £10m this year and £10m next year and £5m the year after.  They're reported as a £25m fee.

He is then talking about the fee and that it would rise to £10m after 12 months.  Does this mean the fee will rise to £10m if Jrod stays this summer and is sold in summer 2020?  Or, does it mean the transfer fee is £10m paid in 2 instalments?  Or does it mean that the 2nd instalment is based on certain criteria, appearances, the buying club not being relegated, etc.  There is no clarity here.

We received a £16m offer for Jrod last summer.  I've read Percy's article and I understand we are guaranteed £5m if Jrod is sold this summer.  Therefore we are down £11m, after a 22-goal season, where Jrod was previously perceived to ba a 'injury risk', but he's over that label now (as he started 47 games and was rested for 1 game).

Had we sold him last summer how much of the alleged £15m would we have had to pay out to buy a replacement striker capable of scoring 22 goals?

Note:  We will still have to replace him this summer.  How much of the alleged £5m will we have to pay to buy a replacement striker capable of scoring 22 goals?  Conclusion, we will have £11m less to invest in a replacement.

I don't think Jrod particularly impressed last season (or the season before).  But only having £5m to replace those 22 goals will be very difficult.  OK, 8 were penalties... but right now who are we retaining that can take a penalty?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:34:08 AM by OldburyWBA »

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1552 on: June 05, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
A £10m fee, however it is paid, is a £10m fee.  Nearly all transfer fees are paid in installments. My interpretation is that the extra £5m is guaranteed, not conditional.  Is it simply a way of telling interested clubs that the fee is £10m and that the method of payment is non-negotiable,  so that the norm of 1/3 up front, 1/3 a year later and 1/3 in 2 years time is not an option?

Whoever we buy as a replacement would typically be bought on deferred payment terms as well, and it is easy to “factor” confirmed transfer fees to smooth cash flow.

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1553 on: June 05, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Open question... So why is it being talked about as a £5m fee?

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1554 on: June 05, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »

Because it creates a story for the papers to run with, as I said earlier you will probably find 90% of deals nowadays are done in stages.

It's just that this one looks appealing and probably a way of his agent drumming up some interest in him from premier league clubs as it sounds like a bargain.

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1555 on: June 05, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »

Ok, but it is unusual to report it this way.  e.g. Berahino was reported as a £21m deal.  Not a £5m deal with loads of unlikely clauses that may bump it up.

The first time I read the Percy quote 'Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months' I thought it meant you could buy him for £5m this summer or £10m next summer.  It's not clear.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:00:40 PM by OldburyWBA »

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1556 on: June 05, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
Ok, but it is unusual to report it this way.  e.g. Berahino was reported as a £21m deal.  Not a £5m deal with loads of unlikely clauses that may bump it up.

The first time I read the Percy quote 'Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months' I thought it meant you could buy him for £5m this summer or £10m next summer.  It's not clear.

As Rodriguez would be a year older and a year closer to contract expiry, surely it would have been £10m this summer and £5m next summer?

The Berahino deal was totally different, as it had all kinds of conditional add-ons based on how Tottenham performed.  There’s a massive difference between a deferred payment and a conditional add-on.  I think it’s the use of the word “add-on” in one of the reports which has caused the confusion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:01:03 PM by OldburyWBA »

Offline iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1557 on: June 05, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »

That's how I read it too mate. Why would it be referred to in this way . If the deal is £10m but in two payments of £5m it's still a £10m deal. Did we sign Oliver Burke for £15m or £5m, £5m, £5m. I think all we are going to get for JRod is £5m
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:01:34 PM by OldburyWBA »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #1558 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Percy isn't usually far off. I take what he says at face value. Burnley or whoever can buy him for 5m this summer but have to pay a further 5m after a year - so 2 installments. No doubt other sources would class it as 10m as they like quoting the highest full figure they can.

Offline alex1

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1559 on: June 05, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
For those who think £10 million is a good deal for Rodriguez, are they confident we will bring in a striker good for 22 goals next season? Because I'm not.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1560 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
That's how I read it too mate. Why would it be referred to in this way . If the deal is £10m but in two payments of £5m it's still a £10m deal. Did we sign Oliver Burke for £15m or £5m, £5m, £5m. I think all we are going to get for JRod is £5m

I knew I'd read something else that made me think it wasn't a straight-forward £10m fee (in 2 instalments).

Matt Wilson
‏Verified account @mattwilson_star
22h22 hours ago

Not sure myself what figure Jay Rodriguez’s release clause is, but he does have one. Both @bodenknights and now @JPercyTelegraph saying £5m up front + £5m add-ons. If it’s that low, you’d be surprised if he was a #wba player come the start of next season...

The question is; what is an add-on?  Is it a milestone that has to be met?  I don't think an add-on is normally a straight-forward 2nd instalment.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:27:02 PM by Mr Cynical »

Online gazberg

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1561 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »
I can accept 10 guaranteed but 5 wth MAYBE another 5 is nuts.

Offline VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1563 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
On his way to Burnley.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7223817/Jay-Rodriguez-rejoin-Burnley-10m-switch-West-Brom.html
As with Dawson, I just don't think he'll be a regular in the Prem. He won't get the chances that he did in the Championship and his all round game is not strong enough, in my opinion. Life at the lower end of the Prem, is a different kettle of fish, especially for a striker.
We'll miss his goals though and, with Gayle looking like a no go, that is very worrying.

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1564 on: July 08, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
This is bad news in my eyes. A good solid reliable goal scorer at this level.  Hoped it wouldn’t happen but feared that it might.We had better have replacements lined up......

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1565 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »
Only club in England who seem to be giving their players away, another joke of a fee if true Albion must be desperate to get high earners of wage bill, are there financial issues that board are not telling fans about?

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1566 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Perhaps it is part of there contract they stay for one season at reduced wages but have a a release clause in their contract to be sold the season after at a cut price figure if we fail to bounce back.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline tambag

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1567 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1148150564112470016

#wba striker Jay Rodriguez is on the brink of rejoining #BurnleyFC in a deal worth up to £10m. Burnley triggered his release clause - £5m up front with £5m guaranteed 12 months later - over the weekend

Looks like a whole new front line is going to be required else we are relying on HRK !

Offline KN22

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1568 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
Perhaps it is part of there contract they stay for one season at reduced wages but have a a release clause in their contract to be sold the season after at a cut price figure if we fail to bounce back.

I think that’s probably true. Not good news for us though

Offline halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1569 on: July 08, 2019, 09:47:29 AM »
At least he and Burnley have conducted the business in a professional manner.

Rodriguez didn't agitate for a move and unlike Dawson didn't sulk last year, Burnley met the release clause  - good deal for all

We move on and hopefully let our "Global Search & Player Recruitment" department do their job, of course backed up with full reinvestment of incoming transfer fees and the monies held in our transfer chest  :o

Offline Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1570 on: July 08, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
No issue with him going...but who we replace him with is critical.

Frightening thought that we will have HRK and Burke as our only striking options next season.

Offline baggie82

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1571 on: July 08, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
We need to sign three good strikers this summer. One short last year. This season could easily be a disaster and turn into a relegation fight.

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1572 on: July 08, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
stupid financial decision if true, that's forty plus goals we need to replace for season to come.

Online BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1573 on: July 08, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
A bit disappointed by this simply from a experienced and good valued member of the squad. He scored a lot of penalties last season which masked over his goal scoring credentials but losing him and Gayle is taking a lot of goals out of last seasons team!!!

The very important question is who do we replace him with?! I think we need to start getting some quality bodies through the door very shortly. 1 month to go until the window shuts
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Offline paulosull

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1574 on: July 08, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »
We need to sign three good strikers this summer. One short last year. This season could easily be a disaster and turn into a relegation fight.
can see this happening as I don't trust the board or owner venkies Mark two.