West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez  (Read 116646 times)

Offline boinging_along

• Senior Baggie
Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1125 on: February 11, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »
The diffence for me is Gayle cant hold the ball up but by and large Jay can, to score we need the ball held in the final third of the pitch before we score tap ins.

I agree that isn't exactly Gayle's strength but I really don't think JRod is great at it.  At times his first touch is awful and he often loses possession.  He's not HRK bad but remember we're playing JRod there at the expense of a better goal scorer.

I mean, put it this way, do you drop Gayle from the starting line up if Murphy\Phillips\Montero are going to make up the two wide players? 

Online Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1126 on: February 11, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »
I agree Baggie79.

We tend to play 3 forwards with JRod the link man in the middle, i dont think that suits Gayle at all.

Gayle played in a pair at Newcastle alongside Murphy / Mitrovic / Perez when they won the championship, think he did the same in his more successful times at Palace, when he has played down the middle he has had somebody alongside him.

I think it works well how we do it now, Gayle gives us some pace out wide when he has it but if the ball goes down the middle or out to the opposite side to where he is playing (our forwards inter change a lot) then his first instinct is to get in the box anyway, he doesnt hog the touchline, he is usually in and around the box anyway.

I dont think the role Jrod plays now is his natural role and nor would i say he is great at it but he is the best we have and he does a decent job and you cant fault his goalscoring record.

A Rondon type would be ideal in that role (i hope Newcastle go down and he comes back would love to see what he would be like in an attacking team) and if we got somebody like that i would try Jrod playing a similar job to Gayle but on the opposite side.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:21:09 PM by Albion79 »

Online SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1127 on: February 11, 2019, 05:34:24 PM »
I agree Baggie79.

We tend to play 3 forwards with JRod the link man in the middle, i dont think that suits Gayle at all.

Gayle played in a pair at Newcastle alongside Murphy / Mitrovic / Perez when they won the championship, think he did the same in his more successful times at Palace, when he has played down the middle he has had somebody alongside him.

I think it works well how we do it now, Gayle gives us some pace out wide when he has it but if the ball goes down the middle or out to the opposite side to where he is playing (our forwards inter change a lot) then his first instinct is to get in the box anyway, he doesnt hog the touchline, he is usually in and around the box anyway.

I dont think the role Jrod plays now is his natural role and nor would i say he is great at it but he is the best we have and he does a decent job and you cant fault his goalscoring record.

A Rondon type would be ideal in that role (i hope Newcastle go down and he comes back would love to see what he would be like in an attacking team) and if we got somebody like that i would try Jrod playing a similar job to Gayle but on the opposite side.

Jacob Murphy?

Thought he was playing for Norwich when Newcastle won promotion?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline sammyg

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #1128 on: February 11, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
Jacob Murphy?

Thought he was playing for Norwich when Newcastle won promotion?

Think he means Daryl Murphy

Online SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #1129 on: February 11, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
Think he means Daryl Murphy

Aah fair play, cheers.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline alex1

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1130 on: February 11, 2019, 06:16:29 PM »
I agree Baggie79.

Not if it meant sending Gayle back to Newcastle. Gayle has far more anticipation in the box than Rondon will ever have.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Online Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #1131 on: February 11, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »
Yeah definitely, i would want to keep Gayle as well as having Rondon back (not that i think we will but we need a Rondon type for that central role i think if we went up)