Author Topic: Stadium Expansion  (Read 341320 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Stadium Expansion
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »
Advertising in local newspapers is a sign of been desperate lol !!
Its the sort of thing amateur clubs like Blues and Wolves would do,
Could you ever see the likes of Man Utd , Chelsea  , Arsenal , Liverpool etc doing it ?

All of those clubs will have no such problems due to the influx of Glory Hunters.

We're West Bromwich Albion, a small club competing with three other Midland competitors.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
26/27000 for the late 70s side was fairly decent at the time considering the amount of hooliganism
and violence at that time. There were very few women at the matches and fewer families.
Increase the capcity as much as possible, without overstretching the finances, reduce prices for kids and get the fans of the future throught the gates.

That is the most visionary and logical quote posted regarding this subject. Like any successful business you must always allow the option for growth, retain core clients, and look further than the end of your nose buy reinvesting in possible clients. JP knows this for sure and will be exploring all possibilities as we speak. The Halfords Lane stand will happen........the wheels are in motion.......if we get relegated, quite rightly, the wheels will come off!

alicantebaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
The attendance against Bolon and Wigan shows that the support is there if the price is right.  Both gates higher than 1st match of the season against Man United who according to the media are the biggest draw.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
All of those clubs will have no such problems due to the influx of Glory Hunters.

We're West Bromwich Albion, a small club competing with three other Midland competitors.

I couldnt even imagine smaller clubs like Fulham and Blackburn doing it
It would be like Al Fayed putting leaflets up in Harrods shop windows saying
"COME ALONG AND WATCH FULHAM FC" At Craven Cottage lol !!!!!

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
I couldnt even imagine smaller clubs like Fulham and Blackburn doing it
It would be like Al Fayed putting leaflets up in Harrods shop windows saying
"COME ALONG AND WATCH FULHAM FC" At Craven Cottage lol !!!!!

Surely Fulham would just throw flyers in the toilets around Hampstead Heath saying "we're desperate for cottagers"!!

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »
When it comes to advertising to sell more tickets we are not using what's already around us to draw bigger crowds. I'm sure I see the majority of other clubs in the premier league use the electronic advertising boards around the pitch to advertise for other matches which is saft not to do when you consider the amount of fans that would see it on sky and match of the day.

It also infuriates me to see clubs like wolves promoting ticket sales in the advertising boards on the m5 right next to the Albion ground! Something I've never seen us do before. Also know of wolves fans that get texts off the club to sell tickets too.

I just feel we don't do enough to encourage more fans to attend the games.
Astle is the King!

Sealandair

« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
When it comes to advertising to sell more tickets we are not using what's already around us to draw bigger crowds. I'm sure I see the majority of other clubs in the premier league use the electronic advertising boards around the pitch to advertise for other matches which is saft not to do when you consider the amount of fans that would see it on sky and match of the day.

It also infuriates me to see clubs like wolves promoting ticket sales in the advertising boards on the m5 right next to the Albion ground! Something I've never seen us do before. Also know of wolves fans that get texts off the club to sell tickets too.

I almost went across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic , through the concrete wall and 50ft down into Birds lorry yard when i saw that dingle add on the M5. Who are we employing to promote the club??  they need sacking. We as a club have huge potential, im shocked that a so-called 'shrewd businessman' like JP seems to dismiss the power of advertising?

GREGMT

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
See my other thread when I stated the club was complacent.  And I stated this BEFORE I discovered this shocking revelation.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
I almost went across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic , through the concrete wall and 50ft down into Birds lorry yard when i saw that dingle add on the M5. Who are we employing to promote the club??  they need sacking. We as a club have huge potential, im shocked that a so-called 'shrewd businessman' like JP seems to dismiss the power of advertising?

Glad to hear your still alive! It's sickening to think the wolves could be cashing in on supporters we should be selling to.

JP talked about increasing capacity to get the younger generation of fans to the Albion but we seem incapable of doing that as it is.

Don't get me wrong the prices as they are do put people off but I still feel we aren't doing enough to get fans through the gates as it is. Before we even consider extending capacity we need to sort this out to justify why we are expanding.

Why not offer every adult who buys a season ticket a free season ticket for any supporter under 10 years of age? In that way you still sell a season ticket but generate extra revenue through club shop/ refreshments/ programme sales etc

Astle is the King!

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »
Advertising in local newspapers is a sign of been desperate lol !!
Its the sort of thing amateur clubs like Blues and Wolves would do,
Could you ever see the likes of Man Utd , Chelsea  , Arsenal , Liverpool etc doing it ?

What on earth makes Wolves and Blues amateur?

Of course the big clubs don't need to advertise. Sky, BBC and ITV do that for them putting them on television every single week.

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2012, 01:49:55 AM »
This thread is comedy gold.

Goodness gracious me. Trying to be as respectful as possible, hence why I have for the first time in my life ever used "goodness gracious me" in a sentence, other than talking about the hilarious sketch show from 10+ years ago!

But some people REALLY need to get a grip on what we are as a club, where we stand in terms of financial ability, and moreover, the appeal we have to "youth" that aren't already attached to this club. For example, my son is already a die hard baggie, despire only attending the Hawthorns about half a dozen times. He's only 4 though, so understandable. Both myself and his mother, bless her, very much raise him on the fact that he IS Albion, always will be. And he loves the whole scene.

But FFS, a club like ours is simply not going to attract kids who are not attached to a club. Fact. Such idealistic views belong in the 60s and 70s, or in the minds of people who don't actually know what football is about.

Besides, and fine if you don't agree, having spent a lot of time trying to re-ignite passion in a certain way from snoozy fans over the last few years, it will either come natural or it won't. None of us chose to support the Albion because of the fact we were trendy, or "the" team to watch. It was bred into us. Naturally, we would all like to see a 30,000+ seater sold out stadium, as them scruffy urchins up the road am trying to achieve. But we know that it won't be 30,000 supporters.

Give me 4,000 hardcore Albion lads and lasses over 10,000 plastics any day of the week.
Thou shalt not maketh jokes. This used to be the best board, I'd ever been on.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »

Derby County are fantacstic at this. They are always lobbying and sending flyers to major firms as far away as Burton to advertise games and. more importantly, offers and initiatives. They text season ticket holders with ticket offers for family and friends aand even ex-season ticket holders !
Al around the stadium they have mobile 'billboards' advertising offers and up coming deals for matches.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

lewisant

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
This thread is comedy gold.

Goodness gracious me. Trying to be as respectful as possible, hence why I have for the first time in my life ever used "goodness gracious me" in a sentence, other than talking about the hilarious sketch show from 10+ years ago!

But some people REALLY need to get a grip on what we are as a club, where we stand in terms of financial ability, and moreover, the appeal we have to "youth" that aren't already attached to this club. For example, my son is already a die hard baggie, despire only attending the Hawthorns about half a dozen times. He's only 4 though, so understandable. Both myself and his mother, bless her, very much raise him on the fact that he IS Albion, always will be. And he loves the whole scene.

But FFS, a club like ours is simply not going to attract kids who are not attached to a club. Fact. Such idealistic views belong in the 60s and 70s, or in the minds of people who don't actually know what football is about.

Besides, and fine if you don't agree, having spent a lot of time trying to re-ignite passion in a certain way from snoozy fans over the last few years, it will either come natural or it won't. None of us chose to support the Albion because of the fact we were trendy, or "the" team to watch. It was bred into us. Naturally, we would all like to see a 30,000+ seater sold out stadium, as them scruffy urchins up the road am trying to achieve. But we know that it won't be 30,000 supporters.

Give me 4,000 hardcore Albion lads and lasses over 10,000 plastics any day of the week.

So true, i am just an Albion fan because i am, i didn't choose Albion i was just going to the hawthorns since i was a baby and i gradually just became a fan it's cheesy but its in my blood! and every fan in my family is a fan for the same reason, one of us took them along and they fell in love with the club.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
Don't agree that you will not attract kids. If you get in early enough then you will and can attract some. Thats where the club need to be getting involved with schools. I know they have links with a couple of secondary schools but maybe they should start with the junior and infant schools. Offer deals for games which its guaranteed not to sell out against the likes of Wigan, Fulham. I know we do kids for a quid already but other than through the official site and maybe a few lines in a local paper how well is it publicised ?

Get kids at that age interested in actually attending a game instead of having to settle for watching Sky and you have a chance of attracting some. Obviously we wouldn't attract thousands but everyone through the door is a potential new fan.

I bet most on here follow the club due to family members doing the same but not all will do for that reason.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
What on earth makes Wolves and Blues amateur?

Of course the big clubs don't need to advertise. Sky, BBC and ITV do that for them putting them on television every single week.

I take it youve never been to St Andrews then ? lol !!!

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
Surely Fulham would just throw flyers in the toilets around Hampstead Heath saying "we're desperate for cottagers"!!
ha ha thats funny fella ;D but not very pc, dont want to upset anyone.
mowbray you judas

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
Djmg you are a Baggie snob lol!
Just because someone doesn't have a blue and white striped family it doesn't mean they can't become a Baggie!
As for kids that are not attached, how many kids in the late 70s were attracted to us because of the players we had then and are still fans now! It was because we were in the top league with top players. How we going to stay in the premier with 4000 "loyal" supporters let alone stay in business.
If we stand still and that lot up the road put the right infrasructure in place  and become more successful then undecided football supporters in the area will be attracted to the dark side and end up in claret or gold!
By the way I always thought of you as comedy gold.....Gudjonnsen  ha ha ha ...is he available in this window? :-*

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
Interesting

Just saw this link posted by @west_bromwich_ to @chrislepkowski over on the Twitter.

http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/514/listed_buildings_register/735/listed_buildings_in_west_brom

The Hawthorns pub does not appear on this list, so what is stopping us demolishing the building? It has been suggested that it may only be protected under the English Heritage which is totally different to it being listed.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
Interesting

Just saw this link posted by @west_bromwich_ to @chrislepkowski over on the Twitter.

http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/514/listed_buildings_register/735/listed_buildings_in_west_brom

The Hawthorns pub does not appear on this list, so what is stopping us demolishing the building? It has been suggested that it may only be protected under the English Heritage which is totally different to it being listed.

The rumours and I state RUMOURS early this week were that the board were discussing the plans end of this month and wanted to give the project the green light as soon as, expanding to 32,500 by re-building the West Stand.

Doubt this myself because the buildings you talk about, that would obstruct the plans have still not been demolished. Unless Chris Lepwoski is trying to suggest the club have now got the building de-listed?

Maybe something might be heard at the AGM 9th of Feb...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:59:02 PM by B_H_Baggie »
Astle is the King!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #294 on: January 25, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
The rumours and I state RUMOURS early this week were that the board were discussing the plans end of this month and wanted to give the project the green light as soon as, expanding to 32,500 by re-building the West Stand.

Doubt this myself because the buildings you talk about, that would obstruct the plans have still not been demolished. Unless Chris Lepwoski is trying to suggest the club have now got the building de-listed?

Maybe something might be heard at the AGM 9th of Feb...

The building is actually listed, a new link was posted from the heritage. The pub just doesn't show up on the Sandwell council website as listed for whatever reason.

kris_boing

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #295 on: January 25, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
I heard that it was just a part of it that was listed and that was the hold up.

Before they talk about extending the stadium surely they have to buy the plant works behind the Pub and plans must be in place to build over the road or move Halford Lane itself?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
I heard that it was just a part of it that was listed and that was the hold up.

Before they talk about extending the stadium surely they have to buy the plant works behind the Pub and plans must be in place to build over the road or move Halford Lane itself?

Also, requesting planning permission would be useful aswell!

Shouldn't be a problem I'd imagine but as soon as the application is made it will be straight on the SMBC website for all to see. So until that application is made it is just talk in my eyes.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »
Also, requesting planning permission would be useful aswell!

Shouldn't be a problem I'd imagine but as soon as the application is made it will be straight on the SMBC website for all to see. So until that application is made it is just talk in my eyes.

Not all applications are put on the website.

The other day it stated that there were 44 total applications however only 15 were showing.

Went on a tour last weekend of the ground and the bloke (and on the ticket also) said that there were some more refurbishments planned for Halfords lane in the summer and beyond and he doesn't expect it to get pulled down anytime soon. He thinks if they were to do it, it would be an extra tier on top so that the current dressing rooms etc can be kept. Just his opinion.

kris_boing

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »

The other day it stated that there were 44 total applications however only 15 were showing.

Went on a tour last weekend of the ground and the bloke (and on the ticket also) said that there were some more refurbishments planned for Halfords lane in the summer and beyond and he doesn't expect it to get pulled down anytime soon. He thinks if they were to do it, it would be an extra tier on top so that the current dressing rooms etc can be kept. Just his opinion.

Thats how I think they'll do it too.  Remove the existing roof and re-use whats there as the bottom tier and keep the boxes and build a new bigger tier above/behind.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »

Makes more sense to be honest, would be no point dragging down a stand that's only recently been refurbished. Whether the foundations of that stand could hold another tier is another thing though.

In my opinion another tier on that stand would look better than an identical stand to the East stand opposite. Would take some planning though, not sure what would be cheaper either?
Astle is the King!