Author Topic: ASTLE PROTOCOL  (Read 1817 times)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

ASTLE PROTOCOL
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »
Following the sterling work of Jeff Astles  family regarding head injuries and the recent F.A .rules for head and concussion injuries surely they should  name  it after Jeff,say the ASTLE PROTOCL,what do you think?

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

Re: ASTLE PROTOCOL
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »
I was very surprised ( and at the same time not surprised at all) that his name wasn't mentioned at all considering the new ruling on concussions.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
Perhaps an even more suitable heading would be ASTLE RULES (OK)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
I was very surprised ( and at the same time not surprised at all) that his name wasn't mentioned at all considering the new ruling on concussions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34906188

The FA, like every national governing body of a contact sport, is particularly sensitive to the issue of concussion,   not least because of the campaign  led by the family of former England and West Bromwich Albion forward Jeff Astle, who died in 2002 aged 59 from a brain condition more traditionally associated with boxers.

I think it must be said that the changes aren't just down to the Astle campaign - concussion is getting more publicity in other sports like Rugby. It's just a general increase in awareness, though the Astle campaign has certainly helped somewhat.
Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
I think it helped a heck of a lot more than "somewhat"  in fact I would say that the Astle family are in the vanguard of bringing this to the world of football and should be applauded and even awarded for their pursuience.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34906188

The FA, like every national governing body of a contact sport, is particularly sensitive to the issue of concussion,   not least because of the campaign  led by the family of former England and West Bromwich Albion forward Jeff Astle, who died in 2002 aged 59 from a brain condition more traditionally associated with boxers.

I think it must be said that the changes aren't just down to the Astle campaign - concussion is getting more publicity in other sports like Rugby. It's just a general increase in awareness, though the Astle campaign has certainly helped somewhat.

My bad, missed that. Saw the story on SkySportsNews.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:59:49 PM »
The Professional Footballer's Association is setting up a new task force to further examine the issue of brain injury diseases in football.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 07:40:18 PM »
Worth noting as well that it wasn't just Jeff Astle, from this club who passed away from dementia. Not only where there a spate of players full stop, but a number of old Albion players passed in the 80's where questions where raised back then. As time wore on, naturally more began to pass.

It's such a sad thing. Personally I don't think it should be attributed to one person, given how many former players have passed and the severity of it.

The work done by the Astle family has been immense. But it is built upon the foundation of, I dread to think how many, scores of ex-footballers who have suffered.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:50:11 PM »
The Professional Footballer's Association is setting up a new task force to further examine the issue of brain injury diseases in football.

That's nice of them, good to hear.

Glad they haven't dragged their feet or anything........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 08:48:04 PM »
Dawn Astle has done more than anyone to champion the cause . "the King" would be very proud of her.
The P.F.A in general and Gordon Taylor in particular have in no way supported the very people they represent.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

ex coseley kid

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »
Dawn Astle has done more than anyone to champion the cause . "the King" would be very proud of her.
The P.F.A in general and Gordon Taylor in particular have in no way supported the very people they represent.

Hear, hear. Dawn and those around her have all been amazing in what they have set out to achieve. It's pretty sad that it appears to have taken some high profile 'legends' being diagnosed likewise for much of the media to sit up and take notice. To be fair the programme that Shearer presented a while back was well done... but I really do feel that the Astle family's work should be fully recognised.

Loved SmethDan's comment.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music