West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 553158 times)

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #3475 on: July 17, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
It's HMRC first then football debts.

Unless he signs a new contract then loaning Rondon for a season makes no sense.  By the time the loan is over he is a free agent and can sign for whoever he wants, and West Brom will get nothing.

A deal where he is sold now with structured payments - low payment this summer - could work.  Especially if Jenkins wants to know now (plan) where a big lump sum is coming from next summer (if we are not promoted).

£16.5 right now would be better.

I don't think that's right.

HMRC lost its preferential creditor status in 2002 thanks to Gordon Brown.
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3476 on: July 17, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »
This is from the Northern Echo, a more reliable source

NEWCASTLE

Newcastle’s interest in West Brom striker Salomon Rondon has been well known for a number of weeks now, but Mike Ashley has been reluctant to splash out more than £20m on a package for the striker.

Rondon has a £16.5m release clause in his contract, but once wages over the course of a long-term deal are factored into the equation, Newcastle would be committing more than £20m to the purchase of the striker, who turns 29 in September, if they were to complete a permanent deal now.

Therefore, a potential compromise has emerged, which would see Newcastle pay a £4m loan fee to sign Rondon for the forthcoming season, with a view to paying a further £15m if they opt to complete a permanent transfer next summer.

The deal would suit the Magpies, as it would spread the cost of their payment for Rondon and effectively enable them to take the Venezuela international on a year-long trial, but it remains to be seen whether it is acceptable to the West Brom board.

The Baggies need to trim their wage bill considerably in the wake of last season’s relegation to the Championship, but Newcastle’s proposal could mean Rondon returns to them next summer if he fails to impress at St James’ Park. At this stage, it is uncertain whether the West Brom hierarchy will deem that to be acceptable.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3477 on: July 17, 2018, 10:51:17 AM »
I wouldn't accept any loan deal for Rondon if the transfer at the end of the loan wasn't permanent. £4m +  'With a view to' is not good to us. We only get £4m then a 29 yo Rondon with 1 year left on contract back next summer with greatly dimished value.

If it was £4m + £15m next summer guaranteed then it would be fine with me.

Offline skyclad99

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3478 on: July 17, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
I wouldn't accept any loan deal for Rondon if the transfer at the end of the loan wasn't permanent. £4m +  'With a view to' is not good to us. We only get £4m then a 29 yo Rondon with 1 year left on contract back next summer with greatly dimished value.

If it was £4m + £15m next summer guaranteed then it would be fine with me.

If they are happy to pay £15m next summer then surely they can pay it now. They either want him or they don't, and there are a few variables in the equation, such as' could he go for free at the end of next season? what happens to him if we do not get promoted? and what happens to him if we do get promoted? Whilst I like his attitude, he was misfiring for us last season which is partly the reason why we were relegated.

Personally I would like to keep him this season, I think he could be a real force in the division., Having said that, if he misfires again at a lower div then we have a real problem......
What have we done?
And what have we become
In this distance from our Mother
From the gates of late Eden?

Offline baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3479 on: July 17, 2018, 12:40:33 PM »
I don't think wages are going to be a big deal for us next season, on that basis, I'd stick out for the highest transfer fee I could get on our players.

It's doubtful, with Rondon's track record with us, that he would be in a position to command a wage of £70 odd k per week, so it could be in his interests to stay with us for next season to put himself in the shop window.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline Baggies

• WBA Manager
« Reply #3480 on: July 17, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
The Northern Echo start by saying we need to trim our wage bill following relegation (ignoring the fact that 4 of our top earners have now all left - Sturridge, Krychowiak, Foster and Evans -and everyone else is on a flex down).

They then say that we might be tempted to accept 4 million with a view to £15 million next summer in Newcastle's favour. He is in the final year of his contract according to the express and star, sobthat deal clearly makes no sense.

I don't blame the journo as such, because they are working on an ever diminishing budget, but it sounds like the paper have been thr clubs mouth piece a bit there, judt reporting whatever Newcastle have told them rather than looking a bit deeper.
Boing Boing

Offline baggie82

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3481 on: July 17, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
£4m now and a guaranteed £15m next season with the loan automatically becoming a permanent signing makes sense. But a loan-only deal with the optional to buy would be a ridiculous move for the Albion. Glad to see that being given short shrift in the local press. Not least as Newcastle may come to understand that a striker who averages 8 goals a season and is nearing 30 isn't what is required to be successful in the PL. No-one else seems to be in for him at the moment which is a shame as it would put the heat on Newcastle to put the cash up. Looks like they are trying to sell Mitrovic first who I think is a better player anyway.

Offline BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3482 on: July 18, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
The Northern Echo start by saying we need to trim our wage bill following relegation (ignoring the fact that 4 of our top earners have now all left - Sturridge, Krychowiak, Foster and Evans -and everyone else is on a flex down).

They then say that we might be tempted to accept 4 million with a view to £15 million next summer in Newcastle's favour. He is in the final year of his contract according to the express and star, sobthat deal clearly makes no sense.

I don't blame the journo as such, because they are working on an ever diminishing budget, but it sounds like the paper have been thr clubs mouth piece a bit there, judt reporting whatever Newcastle have told them rather than looking a bit deeper.

Im sure Rondons contract is a year left with an option of another in clubs favour.

Offline Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #3483 on: July 19, 2018, 01:49:17 AM »
Rondon is definitely going into the last year of his contract we don't have an option for an additional year. Some sort of loan to buy deal makes no sense at all. Newcastle's problem seems that they don't want to offer him a long term deal because of his age and very limited sell on value. They are probably right but that is not our problem we need the player and are happy to forgo the £16.5m. From our perspective he will cost us roughly £5.5m for next season in fees and wages a replacement who might not be as good will cost every bit of that. 

There is no point in Newcastle trying to low ball us on the deal we don't need to sell. The flex down clauses make the wage bill manageable plus we have lost and won't replace 4 of last seasons biggest earners. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3484 on: July 19, 2018, 02:40:27 AM »
Looks like Fulham are closing in on Mitrovic for 20 mill (worlds gone mad) and will then pay Rondon's release clause of 16.5. So i guess the question is who do we want? 2 players for that price or 1 replacement striker?

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #3485 on: July 19, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »
Looks like Fulham are closing in on Mitrovic for 20 mill (worlds gone mad) and will then pay Rondon's release clause of 16.5. So i guess the question is who do we want? 2 players for that price or 1 replacement striker?

I'd be looking at using the money to get both Vydra and Abel Hernandez in, if both are still available, would probably cost somewhere in the region of £20M for the pair.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Offline AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #3486 on: July 19, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
I'd be looking at using the money to get both Vydra and Abel Hernandez in, if both are still available, would probably cost somewhere in the region of £20M for the pair.

I think I’ve read that the asking price for Vydra is £11m, but Hernandez is a free agent, so we would have a lot of change leftover from £20m
“We create success or failure on the pitch primarily by our thoughts.”

Offline overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3487 on: July 19, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
I read that Hernandez was demanding £60k/week, pricing himself out of a Championship contract.  After our flexdowns I can’t see us paying him remotely close to that.

Offline NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3488 on: July 19, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »
I read that Hernandez was demanding £60k/week, pricing himself out of a Championship contract.  After our flexdowns I can’t see us paying him remotely close to that.
thing is if Vydra cost 11mil on 35k for 3 years that’s around 16.5mil outlay. hernandez on 60k per week over 3yrs is circa 9.5mil leaving room to pay him a signing on fee, it’s a case of are either interested and if so which one would the club prefer
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #3489 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »
I think I’ve read that the asking price for Vydra is £11m, but Hernandez is a free agent, so we would have a lot of change leftover from £20m

yes you are right, I'd forgotten that Hernandez was a free agent (it's all gone very quiet up here with news about him!)

He might at the moment be demanding that kind of wage but if no one is willing to pay that kind of wage then he will after compromise. He was rumoured to be after a move back to Italy, can't imagine that the clubs that would be interested in him would be willing/able to pay that kind of wage?

Offline liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3490 on: July 19, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
Anybody itk about any new players coming in?
Interested in,is all I see.
Done well so far but only a couple of weeks left till new season begins.
Unless,we are keeping a decent core of players,its all a bit last minute isn't it.

Offline Albion79

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3491 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »
From what i got told last week, Big Dave wants to keep the same squad if he can.

I think we are signing another backup keeper but from what i can gather unless people are sold we wont be signing anyone else, i was told that was Big Daves choice but whether there is a sell before we buy policy from the board too i dont know.

Was also told that the youngsters will be making the step up to fill the gaps of the players who have already left (Greg, Sturridge, Gmac, Yacob)

Offline hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3492 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
From what i got told last week, Big Dave wants to keep the same squad if he can.

I think we are signing another backup keeper but from what i can gather unless people are sold we wont be signing anyone else, i was told that was Big Daves choice but whether there is a sell before we buy policy from the board too i dont know.

Was also told that the youngsters will be making the step up to fill the gaps of the players who have already left (Greg, Sturridge, Gmac, Yacob)
Problem with that MO is if we get acceptable offers late in the window it leaves us with very limited options and even less time aka Earnshaw re visited !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Offline seteefeet

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3493 on: July 19, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Problem with that MO is if we get acceptable offers late in the window it leaves us with very limited options and even less time aka Earnshaw re visited !
That risk exists in every window though mate, we turned down an offer for Evans late in January I believe, the only difference is the release clauses.
Does anyone know what happens if someone triggers a release clause at the 11th hour? Do we still have to honour it or is there a pre-deadline deadline?

Offline Mister AT

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3494 on: July 19, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »
That risk exists in every window though mate, we turned down an offer for Evans late in January I believe, the only difference is the release clauses.
Does anyone know what happens if someone triggers a release clause at the 11th hour? Do we still have to honour it or is there a pre-deadline deadline?

Was reported last week that hey all expire at different times,
Some end of this month and some early August. So if we get past those stages we can decline anything that comes our way unless we can sort a replacement first.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #3495 on: July 19, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »
Was reported last week that hey all expire at different times,
Some end of this month and some early August. So if we get past those stages we can decline anything that comes our way unless we can sort a replacement first.

That makes sense really as it stops us getting caught out late in the window.

I'm guessing Newcastle will activate Rondon's clause once they have sold Mitrovic to Fulham. Not sure whether we should use the money on a similarly styled player like Assombalonga or go for a Vydra type player.

Offline Scooby Doo

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #3496 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »

I'm guessing Newcastle will activate Rondon's clause once they have sold Mitrovic to Fulham. Not sure whether we should use the money on a similarly styled player like Assombalonga or go for a Vydra type player.

Definitely will be the case regarding Mitrovic and Rondon. Hopefully it would be Assombalonga.

Online Atomic

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #3497 on: July 19, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »

I'd rather a Vydra type player. There is a real lack of movement and variety up front. J Rod can do the sort of job Rondon does we could do with something different as another option.

Offline Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #3498 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »

I'd rather a Vydra type player. There is a real lack of movement and variety up front. J Rod can do the sort of job Rondon does we could do with something different as another option.

Have to say that would be my preference. Someone with a bit of pace that would be useful for counter attacking but who can also put the ball in the net.

Offline Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #3499 on: July 19, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
Out of the two of them, as a player, I'd prefer Assombalonga... but as a player that actually gets on the pitch I think Vydra is a better bet (less time on the treatment table).