Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406609 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1200 on: August 14, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
Phillips can't play with his back to goal he isn't a striker. He's best when he can carry the ball.
Strikers don't have to play with their back to goal. Just 2 examples Gayle and Kevin Phillips.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1201 on: August 14, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
I do think Phillips would score 10-15 goals if played wide in a front three with a decent centre forward.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1202 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »
Strikers don't have to play with their back to goal. Just 2 examples Gayle and Kevin Phillips.

They are natural instinctive goalscorers Phillips isn't.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1203 on: August 21, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »
Thought Phillips had one of his best games for a while. Was a handful for their defenders  and contributed to some of the best link up play. Deserved to be kept on until the end. Combined well with Furlong who is going to provide some stiff competition for Ferguson.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: August 21, 2019, 11:52:12 PM »
The guy was good for 60 minutes today and after that was absolutely knackered and should of come off.

I'd like to see a bit more end product from him though.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1205 on: August 22, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »
The guy was good for 60 minutes today and after that was absolutely knackered and should of come off.

I'd like to see a bit more end product from him though.

I tend to agree with this Phillips has 70 minutes in him and less if he plays multiple games in a short amount of time. We can't afford to play him to much and when we have options no risk in him burning out and getting injured.

He was good tonight and he was helped by furlong making space for him
O Albion we love you

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1206 on: August 30, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
Signed a new 3 year deal!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1207 on: August 30, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »
Signed a new 3 year deal!

Big commitment by the club considering he has the potential of not being fully fit for chunks of the season, on his day though one of the best in the championship so worth while gamble for me

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1208 on: August 30, 2019, 02:13:34 PM »
obviously harmony at the club after the benidorm rumours. nice one
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1209 on: August 30, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
Great move by the club, one of our most talented players signed up for the next 3 years. I'm buzzing!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1210 on: August 30, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
wiki has MP as 28, assuming thats correct 3 years sounds about right to me
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1211 on: August 30, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »
Good decision imo depending on wage agreements, really like Matty and I'm pleased that one of our key players has committed his long term future here. It can only bode well for the atmosphere/confidence behind the scenes.

Might be being greedy, but Gibbs or Hegazi next please 🤞

Kyle Edwards and Nathan Ferguson would be good!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1212 on: August 30, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
Signal of intent. The club must be happy with his fitness levels.

More importantly shows that Matty is happy and committed here.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1213 on: August 30, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Good to see a player of his quality committing himself to our club.  People should realise this and get off his back instead of moaning like they did with Brunt.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1214 on: August 31, 2019, 01:16:05 AM »
Never really been on the Phillips bandwagon and as such can't say that I'm all that happy with the prospect of having him hanging around for the next 3 years.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: August 31, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
Never really been on the Phillips bandwagon and as such can't say that I'm all that happy with the prospect of having him hanging around for the next 3 years.

Just to add, something I read (think it was the Bilic interview) suggested that the 3 years meant the end of this season and then two more, rather than 3 more years after this year.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1216 on: August 31, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
Just to add, something I read (think it was the Bilic interview) suggested that the 3 years meant the end of this season and then two more, rather than 3 more years after this year.

Just checked the club website reported as to June 2022, not quite so bad.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1217 on: August 31, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »
Just checked the club website reported as to June 2022, not quite so bad.

Yeah I mean he’s one of our better players on his day. When he hit his purple patch under Pulis? And was assisting or scoring every game he was very good. I do worry about his injury record and that he can’t seem to last more than an hour each game though.

Another thought, what sort of wage do you think he’s managed to secure by signing his contract now rather than in the Premier League? I can only imagine he’s got a clause in there for an increase if we get promoted, which at least gives him something to really play for.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:14:27 PM by TheBrom »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1218 on: August 31, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
Sensible move as it protects his value if we need to look to sell him next summer.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1219 on: August 31, 2019, 12:58:08 PM »
Yeah I mean he’s one of our better players on his day. When he hit his purple patch under Pulis? And was assisting or scoring every game he was very good. I do worry about his injury record and that he can’t seem to last more than an hour each game though.

Another thought, what sort of wage do you think he’s managed to secure by signing his contract now rather than in the Premier League? I can only imagine he’s got a clause in there for an increase if we get promoted, which at least gives him something to really play for.

No idea, but I doubt he has taken a pay cut to stay and I am guessing his wages would rise on promotion in the way they fell when he was relegated.

The infamous purple patch is now 3 years old and very rarely has he got close to those heights and at 28 I doubt he will now. Contracts are not rewards for past achievement but a commitment to the future. In Phillips case that future is unlikely to be better than the his current level of  performance.

In theory he should be absolutely unplayable at Championship level. He isn't nor was he at QPR. He does not score enough goals does not have a trick to beat set defences and is heavily reliant on his diminishing pace.

The fact that at times he could be legitimately labelled as one of our better players based on an 8 weeks purple patch and not much else is an indictment of the state of the squad and how badly it's age profile has been managed. This looks like another mistake in this regard.

p.s. Fully expect him to score a hat trick of worldies today just to make me look foolish and I would be happy with that outcome

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1220 on: August 31, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
No idea, but I doubt he has taken a pay cut to stay and I am guessing his wages would rise on promotion in the way they fell when he was relegated.

The infamous purple patch is now 3 years old and very rarely has he got close to those heights and at 28 I doubt he will now. Contracts are not rewards for past achievement but a commitment to the future. In Phillips case that future is unlikely to be better than the his current level of  performance.

In theory he should be absolutely unplayable at Championship level. He isn't nor was he at QPR. He does not score enough goals does not have a trick to beat set defences and is heavily reliant on his diminishing pace.

The fact that at times he could be legitimately labelled as one of our better players based on an 8 weeks purple patch and not much else is an indictment of the state of the squad and how badly it's age profile has been managed. This looks like another mistake in this regard.

p.s. Fully expect him to score a hat trick of worldies today just to make me look foolish and I would be happy with that outcome

Totally understand and have similar feelings about him. Whilst he was excellent for 20 mins today he was again knackered after half time and offered not a lot in the second half. This season we have an abundance of wingers though so hopefully we’ll be able to keep it fresh

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1221 on: August 31, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »
looks like he's lost a bit of pace to me, ref would have been badly positioned but it looked like Phillips was holding the Blackburn players arm when he raced through to score. about time we had a bit of fortune off the officials.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1222 on: August 31, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
I can understand the reservations about his deal but I don't think we should overlook the fact that the first half of last season he was very good and was lasting 90 minutes after a full pre season. He got injured at the same time as Barnes went back which severely diminished our cutting edge.

I'd rather not tempt fate by saying this, but his hamstrings are holding up better than they were (an ankle injury was the main problem last  year). Our match day squad is stronger when he's in it and is likely to be next year also. Hopefully Edwards and Leko improve further and push him down the pecking order but that competition is good for the squad.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1223 on: August 31, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
looks like he's lost a bit of pace to me, ref would have been badly positioned but it looked like Phillips was holding the Blackburn players arm when he raced through to score. about time we had a bit of fortune off the officials.

I watched that twice and i'd say six of one half a dozen of the other.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1224 on: August 31, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »
Sensible move really. He could move for very little come Jan and nothing not long after. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of getout clause if we don't go up but just means we will get some cash for him.

When he's fully fit and firing, i know thats not often these days granted, he is easily PL class.