Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 189209 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
Think you also have to remember the whole saga with Odemwingie and QPR. That might also play a part in their reluctancy to reduce the price.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
Question is where do we walk ? Whoever we go for at this stage of the window will be driving a hard bargain, including Forest with Antonio. It seems to be very hard to get players in early unless you are prepared to offer very close to the price being asked, inflated or not.

We will move onto poorer quality players as they will come cheaper unfortunately.  I don't think prices will get any keener closer to the end of the window either. Selling club s will know how desperate we are and hold out for good money especially if they don't need to sell. Look how we paid over the odds for Anichebe and Sess. We'll end up doing the same this year.

Prices are massively inflated. We either pay up or risk falling further behind.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
Question is where do we walk ? Whoever we go for at this stage of the window will be driving a hard bargain, including Forest with Antonio. It seems to be very hard to get players in early unless you are prepared to offer very close to the price being asked, inflated or not.
i see where your coming from but as soon as january transfer window shuts we should be scouting our next targets...if prices are to high and we know that why do we bother chasing for weeks and then put silly bids in...i think the problem weve got is we are chasing british  targets so prices are always higher ...if were not  prepared to pay x amount  then we should be looking for better value but quality signings from abroad

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »
Pulls chooses where the budget is spent and if he doesn't feel Phillips will contribute what a £10m player should contribute to a team then so be it. In Pulis we trust.

If Pulis thinks Antonio at £6m or Gnabry on a loan is better value per contribution then again so be it. In Pulis we trust.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
If Ferdinand is adamant that they will hold out for the full £10m we should be kicking this deal into touch now.
Move on to other targets that are doable
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

B_H_Baggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
If there was no encouragement about a potential price from QPR I think we would have already moved on by now, we possibly have done if we are now definitely talking to Forest about Antonio.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2015, 07:27:45 PM »
I can see us waiting until January for this one.

zippyandbungle

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
Well
Blanco
Varela
Sessegnon
For a start...., I think there is plenty out there and there always seems some really good tricky ,pacey wingers in France and Portugal
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »
Well
Blanco
Varela
Sessegnon
For a start...., I think there is plenty out there and there always seems some really good tricky ,pacey wingers in France and Portugal
Not sure what you are saying there Zippy re Blanco, Varela and Sess ? - no doubt they have ability but hardly Pulis' dream trio.
I'd be delighted if we have our eyes on one or two in France, Portugal or wherever as long as they are good and are what Pulis is looking for.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »
Regrettably I don't see us looking overseas we will move on to Antonio and pay Forest £6m which in it's own way is no better than paying QPR £10m for Phillips. Yes he has experience of playing in England but none at Premier League level and I am sure £6m would buy a better player form half a dozen leagues across Europe.

However I think with QPR nailing their colours to the mast so publically the Phillips deal is dead, equally I don't see us agreeing a fee for Austin so I hope we don't waste time pursing that deal. In fact let's forget QPR altogher as we seem incapable of agreeing a fee with them almost regardless of the player involved

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »
Whether its to us or not I get the feeling that QPR "outgoings" will go to the wire unless any club is stupid enough to offer them silly money. QPR need money which is well known due to their debts so they are trying to play hardball but anyone interested in one of their players whether Phillips, Austin or Caulker is going to wait or keeping making lower offers than QPR have stated they want knowing that the time will come where QPR have to buckle.

Going to be the long game. I saw earlier that our interest in Antonio is alongside our interest in Phillips, not instead  off.

Time will tell.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2015, 11:08:13 PM »
Whether its to us or not I get the feeling that QPR "outgoings" will go to the wire unless any club is stupid enough to offer them silly money. QPR need money which is well known due to their debts so they are trying to play hardball but anyone interested in one of their players whether Phillips, Austin or Caulker is going to wait or keeping making lower offers than QPR have stated they want knowing that the time will come where QPR have to buckle.

Going to be the long game. I saw earlier that our interest in Antonio is alongside our interest in Phillips, not instead  off.

Time will tell.
bloody hell we will have more wingers than .coms got whingers.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2015, 06:24:45 AM »

Time will tell.

Could be playing the game with QPR just to let them think we have alternatives and could turn to them if QPR keep playing hardball

IrememberJohnny Nicholls

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »
Impossible.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I think the problem with chasing Antonio is that Forest have a transfer embargo still in place i.e. - they won't be able to buy a replacement, so unless the Chairman wants to bring money in to help balance the books (or meet the FFP rules) there is little incentive to deal at a reasonable price.  I think any signing they make must not cost the club a transfer fee and must cost less than £600,000 a year.

I think they also have lost 2 players to Newcastle - they were purchased last summer and loaned back to Forest... Darlo the GK, and Lascelles (def).  So, unless there is a financial imperative (or a player really kicking up a stink) there is little incentive for Forest to sell.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I think the problem with chasing Antonio is that Forest have a transfer embargo still in place i.e. - they won't be able to buy a replacement, so unless the Chairman wants to bring money in to help balance the books (or meet the FFP rules) there is little incentive to deal at a reasonable price.  I think any signing they make must not cost the club a transfer fee and must cost less than £600,000 a year.

I think they also have lost 2 players to Newcastle - they were purchased last summer and loaned back to Forest... Darlo the GK, and Lascelles (def).  So, unless there is a financial imperative (or a player really kicking up a stink) there is little incentive for Forest to sell.

There is a vicious circle here is to get out of the embargo they need to balance the books to balance the books they have to reduce their wage bill and or bring in fees from player sales. Okay they could get out of it if they got promoted but overtime their squad will get weaker the longer the embargo is in place at some point they have to bite the bullet and sell to balance the books
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
I can see us waiting until January for this one.

I dont think he will start the season off at QPR could be with us or else were

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
Villa are now being linked with Phillips!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2015, 06:14:30 PM »
I think the only way we would get him is if he puts in a transfer request and that looks unlikely

http://www.teamtalk.com/queens-park-rangers/9915002/-

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
I dont think he will start the season off at QPR could be with us or else were

bet he ends up at villa  >:(

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
bet he ends up at villa  >:(

And if he does we move on to other targets simple as that. If Villa want to pay ten million for him thenthey need their heads checking.

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:23 PM »
And if he does we move on to other targets simple as that. If Villa want to pay ten million for him thenthey need their heads checking.

proven, young, premiership winger. i reckon £10m will seem like at snip at the end of the window.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
If we want Phillips- and we clearly do -then we must stop the pussyfooting and agree a deal close to the asking price. Relegation at the end of next season would be a financial catastrophe.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
This is turning into a joke. If 10 million is the price for Sinclair why don't we just pay it?

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
This is turning into a joke. If 10 million is the price for Sinclair why don't we just pay it?

I hope we don't pay 10 million for Sinclair