Author Topic: Chris Baird  (Read 6462 times)

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

Chris Baird
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »
Turning into one of our best signings of the season?

I can't believe I would of been saying this start of the season but Baird has gone about his business very professionally throughout the season and played in various positions and done quite well. In the game he's played he's looked very solid and I feel quite confident when I see him in defense!

His best position is definitely RB/LB. I think Pulis likes him a lot and I expect to see him in the starting 11 quite often.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Chris Baird
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:54 AM »
Totally agree. a bloody good freebie indeed 
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
Very solid and consistent.  And to think most, including me, ridiculed this signing.  Even if we get Taylor from Swansea and he eventually takes his place I think Baird is now an important member of our squad and not simply here to make up the numbers.
"This crack is really moreish."

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Credit were its due.

I did question the signing at first, and his first game wasnt his best he has ever played.

His mrs took some stick on twitter aswell if I recall right.

Last few weeks hes looked comfortable, confident and solid.

Fair play to the lad.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
Have to hold my hand up, at Chelsea away before the game when we heard he was in the side we all started to laugh and question how many they would score. He's proved me wrong and seems a great addition.

If Pulis rates Poco or gets in Taylor, Baird would do a fine job at right back if needs be.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »
Have to agree with you all. I thought that it was a strange signing in the summer and did not think he was up to it....... proved totally wrong and I thought he played really well last night. Fair play to him......
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Must confess I was very doubtful that he would be a useful addition to the squad.
He's actually turned out to be a very good addition.
When you compare what he cost to some of the players that can't even make the first team it makes a mockery of transfer fees.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

simonbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »
The two games he played in centre midfield I thought he was dreadful and there after couldn't believe he even made the bench - but credit where credit is due he has looked very solid as a full back, and definitely worthy of his place in the side on current form.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
I lambasted his signing, however, good against hull and good again last night. I doubt he is ever going to set the world on fire, but solid at the moment. Needs a few more games before he wins me over fully. At the moment I would still play Poc
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
I always considered CB to be a solid signing for us. He's a good professional, comes with loads of PL experience, will never play all 38 games, but is reliable when called upon in my opinion.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
He deserves his place in the team and has performed well the past few games. He's a top professional with plenty of experience in this league, good signing for me.
the regime don't like it man

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
Put simply, Chris Baird is not a defensive midfielder and doesn't have the legs/stamina for it. This is shown when he's played there and has looked pretty terrible. It's not surprising that at his peak with Fulham he was a wing-back and that's where he looks best now, especially with the organisation of Pulis.

In this respect he reminds me of Steven Reid before he got too old, and that is a pretty good compliment as Reid was decent here for a few years.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 11:25:18 PM »
He's a dreadful midfielder but a solid enough fullback. In the Steven Reid mould but with less miles in his legs. He wouldn't be my starting fullback.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 03:31:46 PM »
Put simply, Chris Baird is not a defensive midfielder and doesn't have the legs/stamina for it. This is shown when he's played there and has looked pretty terrible. It's not surprising that at his peak with Fulham he was a wing-back and that's where he looks best now, especially with the organisation of Pulis.
Surely you need more legs/stamina to be a full-back than you do a defensive midfielder?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »
more legs

Nah you need two to play in both positions !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »
Surely you need more legs/stamina to be a full-back than you do a defensive midfielder?
I disagree. If you look at some of the best full backs, they don't need to rely on pace, and instead focus entirely on positioning. Under Pulis, Baird doesn't need to bomb up and down all day, and will rarely venture past the half-way line, like Reid did in his prime under Hodgson.

However, central/defensive midfield is much more intensive on the cardio as it also involves more attacking and tracking back. As a defensive midfielder you have to provide a passing option too otherwise your side will lose possession more.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »
Poco for me and perhaps Baird on the right.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
At full-back and with the remit of just defending then he will prove to be a very astute signing. If you want anymore from him then you're going well out of his comfort zone. He has been very good in recent weeks and that's good credit to him because I had wrote him off after the debacle at Bournemouth.

I still would prefer him at right back with Pocognoli on the left.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »
Always been a very reliable defender.