Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 3149318 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #18950 on: December 20, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
The Boro fans have changed their tune.  While they were top 2 everything was fine.  It's the same with most managers these days, if the results slip then people will target managers and\or players.  And if you're a manager like Pulis it will be his style they'll go for.  I remember on here people moaning their head off because Pulis "praised" the opposition team in the press conferences and he shouted too loud on the touchline.  Stuff that is completely normal, and that Moore does, but nobody has that complaint now.  When DM's results have slipped a bit then people target his rawness, or his substitutions etc.

Some have, but to be fair a lot of them wanted Pulis out after the no show in the play offs. They are having the same debates that we had (and Stoke had) pragmatic football Vs entertaining football.

Pulis isn't noted for his promotions (2 in 26 years of management) but he is noted for avoiding relegation and that's what his style of football is best designed for...grinding out point by point to stay in a division not trying to win games to get as many points as possible to challenge for a title/promotion. Strange that Middlesboro went for him really since I assume that promotion would have been their aim.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #18951 on: December 20, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
The Boro fans have changed their tune.  While they were top 2 everything was fine.  It's the same with most managers these days, if the results slip then people will target managers and\or players.  And if you're a manager like Pulis it will be his style they'll go for.  I remember on here people moaning their head off because Pulis "praised" the opposition team in the press conferences and he shouted too loud on the touchline.  Stuff that is completely normal, and that Moore does, but nobody has that complaint now.  When DM's results have slipped a bit then people target his rawness, or his substitutions etc.

I've got to be honest i've not noticed Moore shouting on the touchline, he seems to whistle randomly but then nothing follows it most of the time, I do remember Megson getting slated for whistling at players though.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18952 on: December 20, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
Don't forget that Pulis only works for the owner, not the fans,he doesn't care a fig for them.
He's only interested in the money because he knows if he wins he gets bonuses and if he loses he gets paid,life's a  bitch but not for him.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #18953 on: December 20, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
Don't forget that Pulis only works for the owner, not the fans,he doesn't care a fig for them.
He's only interested in the money because he knows if he wins he gets bonuses and if he loses he gets paid,life's a  bitch but not for him.

Could apply that to a number of managers, the only job where failure is handsomely rewarded

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18954 on: December 21, 2018, 12:24:34 AM »
Thought I'd just Google 'Pulisbal' for the hell of it, and this is what came up.
Seems to have some meaning in Hindi.

https://www.patrika.com/tags/pulis-bal/?story_type=news

I was looking for any typical characteristics like men in peaked caps with specs and trainers, but there is a photo of 3 sturdy looking men in berets standing in a row shortly to be joined by another to make up a back 4.  :)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18955 on: December 21, 2018, 07:53:46 AM »
It is interesting that this time last year there was much comment about the generation of rather dull unimaginative British managers clogging up the lower half of the Premier League and upper echelons of the Championship.

Bruce, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, Pulis, Hodgson, Lambert and Warnock,were all in employment all weaving their special kind of magic that makes football such a joy to watch. The first 4 are no longer employed Lambert has dropped down to Ipswich to get back into the game. Pulis seems to be hanging on at 'Boro. Warnock and Hodgson are both battling relegation and might not survive the season although that's not to say they won't be replaced by another old school British Manager were they fired.

It does appear that the game has moved on. Fans don't want reductive safety first football and just clinging on to a Premier place or grinding their way into "contention" for a play-off place in the Championship is not a sufficient level of success to warrant it.

As an aside I would state that I have always regard Roy Hodgson as a cut above the rest as a coach he gets lumped in here purely because of the generation that he is from.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18956 on: December 21, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
It is interesting that this time last year there was much comment about the generation of rather dull unimaginative British managers clogging up the lower half of the Premier League and upper echelons of the Championship.

Bruce, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew, Pulis, Hodgson, Lambert and Warnock,were all in employment all weaving their special kind of magic that makes football such a joy to watch. The first 4 are no longer employed Lambert has dropped down to Ipswich to get back into the game. Pulis seems to be hanging on at 'Boro. Warnock and Hodgson are both battling relegation and might not survive the season although that's not to say they won't be replaced by another old school British Manager were they fired.

It does appear that the game has moved on. Fans don't want reductive safety first football and just clinging on to a Premier place or grinding their way into "contention" for a play-off place in the Championship is not a sufficient level of success to warrant it.

As an aside I would state that I have always regard Roy Hodgson as a cut above the rest as a coach he gets lumped in here purely because of the generation that he is from.

Yes I would leave Hodgson out of that list too, his football was good to watch when he was here.

He also broadened his horizons and managed in Europe and internationally.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18957 on: December 21, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »

Think you're right about Hodgson, I'd add Hughes to that list too, he seems to have turned into a safety first/risk averse kind of manager.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18958 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
Think you're right about Hodgson, I'd add Hughes to that list too, he seems to have turned into a safety first/risk averse kind of manager.
Seems to me though that Moore is criticised, in certain quarters, for not being like them. No clean sheets, defenders over-playing and exposed etc.
Surely, if we want to see the back of these dinosaurs, we have to show faith in the new breed and allow them time to grow. If we don't, then we will just inevitably turn to one of these guys, for a quick fix, and end up 10 steps back.
Moore and Jones obviously have a vision and, so far, have worked wonders to turn us around but patience is still required as it is very much a work in progress.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #18959 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Seems to me though that Moore is criticised, in certain quarters, for not being like them. No clean sheets, defenders over-playing and exposed etc.
Surely, if we want to see the back of these dinosaurs, we have to show faith in the new breed and allow them time to grow. If we don't, then we will just inevitably turn to one of these guys, for a quick fix, and end up 10 steps back.
Moore and Jones obviously have a vision and, so far, have worked wonders to turn us around but patience is still required as it is very much a work in progress.

I think if we fail to go up this season the Moore will grow as a manager and the chance to do it with us will be higher, expectation at the moment is massive and in some cases too massive as some don't realise the poor squad we have. Yes the starting side has maybe 8/9 that are top quality especially for this league but it has gaps that need filling especially at right back and centre midfield but the bench is not strong enough and a major injury list or suspensions will show that. If we go up then major investment is needed but it won't come and Moore will be out by Christmas.

If we don't go up but are not far away then it gives a bit of time to clear some of the squad and try to bring some youth in especially in the middle ( which we need in January anyhow) and start again, expectation may not be as high allowing the time to get things right.

SmethDan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18960 on: December 21, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Thought I'd just Google 'Pulisbal' for the hell of it, and this is what came up.
Seems to have some meaning in Hindi.

https://www.patrika.com/tags/pulis-bal/?story_type=news

I was looking for any typical characteristics like men in peaked caps with specs and trainers, but there is a photo of 3 sturdy looking men in berets standing in a row shortly to be joined by another to make up a back 4.  :)

You should see some of the things I find online  :-X ............ what a time to be alive  :P .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18961 on: December 21, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »

Certainly missed Hughes from the original post and I might have thrown Martin O'Neil into the mix as well. It hasn't been a good 12 months for British Managers of a certain age/outlook.

Some might argue that these managers only ever get to manage the also rans in the Premier League which is fair comment but the game has left them behind and despite their many years of experience none are being touted for the Man United job.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18962 on: December 22, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »
In the Cup tie, apparently he played one up front at home to number 15th in League 1... :(
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18963 on: December 22, 2018, 03:49:31 PM »
In the Cup tie, apparently he played one up front at home to number 15th in League 1... :(

That's quite adventurous for the capped one
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18964 on: December 22, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
Look at the team he's put out today... 5 centre backs, 4 centre mids and Assombalonga, away to Reading. When his team is struggling he just gets more and more defensive. Complete parody of himself at this point.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18965 on: December 22, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
There is only one way to describe him - COWARD!
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18966 on: December 22, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »
Won didn't they?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18967 on: December 22, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
Look at the team he's put out today... 5 centre backs, 4 centre mids and Assombalonga, away to Reading. When his team is struggling he just gets more and more defensive. Complete parody of himself at this point.
Isn't that what he does though?  Goes ultra defensive to make sure you stop a run of defeats, even if it's only by scraping a draw or a narrow win.

FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18968 on: December 27, 2018, 07:53:58 PM »
Boro fans have turned now. Took them a lot less time than the majority of our lot did.

I'd like to think that English fans are starting to see through the whole lot of these dinosaur managers, and they'll find it harder and harder to get jobs. Who knows, we might see a new generation inspired by Eddie Howe and Gareth Southgate.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #18969 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
Boro fans have turned now. Took them a lot less time than the majority of our lot did.

I'd like to think that English fans are starting to see through the whole lot of these dinosaur managers, and they'll find it harder and harder to get jobs. Who knows, we might see a new generation inspired by Eddie Howe and Gareth Southgate.

I think Boro fans have turned quicker than here as when he came to us we needed someone to sort the mess out left behind by the likes of Irvine whereas Boro were around the position they are now when Monk left and wanted someone to come in and get them closer to automatic promotio, he's gone to Blues exceeding expectation and Boro are no better off.

Pulis is a man who will always get a job at a team wanting to avoid the drop, you can't blame the managers, you blame the clubs that give them the jobs and constantly reward them handsomely for failure.

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18970 on: December 29, 2018, 01:40:56 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46693056

Sums him up for me, that. In that entire article, all he does is blame the players, saying they're not giving enough effort or dropping too deep. At no point does he consider that he might have his fair share of the blame. His head is so far up his own backside it's untrue. Glad we're shot of him.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18971 on: December 29, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46693056

Sums him up for me, that. In that entire article, all he does is blame the players, saying they're not giving enough effort or dropping too deep. At no point does he consider that he might have his fair share of the blame. His head is so far up his own backside it's untrue. Glad we're shot of him.

Never changes does he? In summary Sheffield Wednesday beat a Pulis team by giving them the ball and letting it's lack of movement creativity and an unwillingness to take risks do the rest. Any coach that says we had x number of crosses and didn't score should be sacked on the spot. a) Crosses from open play against a set defence seldom work b) If crosses into the box aren't working try something different.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18972 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
Meet 'Red card' Roy McDonough: "I never set out to hurt anyone - except Tony Pulis"

Sounds like Tone upset someone, no surely not! But a good story and bought a smile to my face.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/10/meet-red-card-roy-mcdonough-never-set-hurt-anyone-except-tony/

Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It’s only painful to others.

The same applies, when you are stupid

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18973 on: January 10, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
thin ice again
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

FallOutBoy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18974 on: January 10, 2019, 12:56:21 PM »
Meet 'Red card' Roy McDonough: "I never set out to hurt anyone - except Tony Pulis"

Sounds like Tone upset someone, no surely not! But a good story and bought a smile to my face.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/10/meet-red-card-roy-mcdonough-never-set-hurt-anyone-except-tony/

I just saw this and said to my mates "I don't know who Roy McDonough is, but he sounds like my kind of bloke"  ;D