Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 3068308 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #13675 on: February 20, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
Good to see the comments about the youngsters by Pulis from the Tyler Roberts story:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2017/02/20/west-broms-tyler-roberts-making-waves-on-loan-at-shrewsbury-town/

The 18-year-old opened the scoring for the League One side in Saturday’s 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon and he was named man of the match too.

Roberts joined Paul Hurst’s side in January, and has helped the Shrews go on an impressive run that has lifted them out of the danger zone.

Shrewsbury have won four of the six games Roberts has featured in, drawing one and losing the other. He already has two goals, two assists, and two man of the match performances.

The Wales youth international spent the first half of the season on loan at Oxford United but he’s enjoying life at Greenhous Meadow much more.

Albion academy manager Mark Harrison says it is proof he is learning fast.

“It’s been managed correctly,” said Harrison. “He had a loan with Oxford, which was good experience off the pitch.

“Then we reassessed it, and thought ‘is there another team he can go to and start a few more games?’

“Tony (Pulis) sat him down just before he went out to Shrewsbury and told him to use the experience from Oxford and kick on. Shrewsbury have been brilliant in the way they managed Tyler. He’s doing excellent at the minute.

“All the feedback is that they’re really impressed with him. How many 18-year-olds are doing what he is doing in League One at the moment?”

Pulis is eager to get as many of his promising youngsters out on loan as possible to give them experience of men’s football, but he’s had to keep back some of the best because of his small squad.

“The key thing with Tony is he’s seen the potential with the players in the academy,” said Harrison. “Rekeem Harper, Sam Field, Jonathan Leko, Kane Wilson are all in Tony’s thoughts.

“He’s had Rayhaan Tulloch and Jamie Soule train with him."

B_H_Baggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13676 on: February 21, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
Tone on the WM Phone in tomorrow at 5.30 pm if anybody wants 'a word'

Will be an interesting listen, hopefully those with strong views call up and manage to get through as its an opportunity that won't come around again anytime soon.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13677 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Very rare PL managers do this sort if thing , hope the callers arent hand picked .....
Be great if somebody could post a link later. :D

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13678 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »
If you can't listen live tonight, it should be on iplayer later or tomorrow.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13679 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »
Very rare PL managers do this sort if thing , hope the callers arent hand picked .....
Be great if somebody could post a link later. :D
did I see the NBC show was filming it too? If so I imagine it'll be heavily prepared and vetted

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13680 on: February 21, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
I wonder if Eddie will call his mate?  :o
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13681 on: February 21, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »
Tone is live on BBC WM now. Just started.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13682 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »
Tone is live on BBC WM now. Just started.

Eddie's just been on and did eat a little humble pie at the end!
Hadn't realised he was nearly 80! Great passion still!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13683 on: February 21, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »
Did Pulis just say that Phillips cost £3m?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13684 on: February 21, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Intersting point about his time with Stoke in Europe. Said rather than fitness etc the biggest issue was player mentality when players came back for the league games. Said the Europe games became the big nights and occasions for the players, so they weren't seeing the league games as big games when they returned. Also said Stoke had a stronger squad when they got in and he'd need to improve in the summer if we got in

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13685 on: February 21, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Link to the radio show with Pulis: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04s18l5

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13686 on: February 21, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »
He seems to have a great affinity with the club and players.
Noticed he put great emphasis on the 'group' getting along and playing for each other
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13687 on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »

Yep, just listening from the start as missed half of it and he interrupts when the host is saying what did Phillips cost 6-7 million, with 3! Also says he made a mistake with McManaman and the club have moved on to another level from him now

B_H_Baggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13688 on: February 22, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »

That was pretty much the only interesting thing to come out of the phone in, Pulis handled himself very well but there were no difficult questions for him. I'm particularly disappointed no one asked about him limiting us by being so reluctant to sign anyone from abroad, would have been interesting to hear his view on that.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13689 on: February 22, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »
That was pretty much the only interesting thing to come out of the phone in, Pulis handled himself very well but there were no difficult questions for him. I'm particularly disappointed no one asked about him limiting us by being so reluctant to sign anyone from abroad, would have been interesting to hear his view on that.

I imagine he would have mentioned that he signed Rondon from oversees and if he could get similar quality again he would.
With regard to the January window he would probably say he looks to sign players either already playing in or who have experience of the Premier league as the whole point in January is to get players in that will have an instant impact, a player signed from abroad may take 2 to 3 months to get to grips with the league.

Obviously that's just my guess.

baggiebof

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13690 on: February 22, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »

I felt the same, not enough questions and a little too much fawning over the job that has been done to date. It prompted me to make a call and ask about whether he foresaw the need to target full backs that were better on the ball moving forward, to which he agreed, so good to know we are targeting those areas in the summer. I wish I hadn't asked him about full backs specifically though and asked what areas as a blank question. It would have been more interesting to hear if he had those areas in mind or whether he was just agreeing with me.

jonasyoulegend

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #13691 on: February 22, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
What a pleasure it was listening to Pulis on WM last night, he was spot on. Finally proving the doubters wrong. He represents everything right in football and in the workplace more importantly, hard work, togetherness, honesty, determination, patience, realism, throw in some quality and you've got success. What a manager.

Anyone who slated him before is plain wrong. That's not my opinion its fact. We had a rubbish squad when he took over and look what he's done, yow cor polish a turd .... Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Great bloke, ringing ticket office now to buy tickets to remaining home games this year,

Well done Tone! I knew you'd prove people wrong

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13692 on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
Very complimentary about Sam Field.
One of the most talented youngster he's worked with (or words to that effect).

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13693 on: February 22, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
I felt the same, not enough questions and a little too much fawning over the job that has been done to date. It prompted me to make a call and ask about whether he foresaw the need to target full backs that were better on the ball moving forward, to which he agreed, so good to know we are targeting those areas in the summer. I wish I hadn't asked him about full backs specifically though and asked what areas as a blank question. It would have been more interesting to hear if he had those areas in mind or whether he was just agreeing with me.

To be fair it sounded to me as though he wants to improve the entire team, or at least said that. When questions about Rondon came up he said we need another striker, centre backs he said they are looking for more pace, full backs etc. One thing he did say which caught my attention was that he doesn't like having big squads; said that 18 good players and the rest youngsters is fine for him

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13694 on: February 22, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
Also, apparently the video shot by the NBC of the interview is on BBC WM's Facebook page

Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13695 on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »
To be fair it sounded to me as though he wants to improve the entire team, or at least said that. When questions about Rondon came up he said we need another striker, centre backs he said they are looking for more pace, full backs etc. One thing he did say which caught my attention was that he doesn't like having big squads; said that 18 good players and the rest youngsters is fine for him
Yes that's interesting your last point. Strikes me that's about the number we have now ? I guess it would mean gradual improvement in all areas within that 18 players and as some are phased out (e.g. Olsson) buy the best quality you can to replace them.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13696 on: February 22, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »
Yes that's interesting your last point. Strikes me that's about the number we have now ? I guess it would mean gradual improvement in all areas within that 18 players and as some are phased out (e.g. Olsson) buy the best quality you can to replace them.

Yeah I think that's probably the plan. Although he contradicted a bit by continually saying that he wanted to make lots of signings to improve the team. Another interesting nugget I picked up on was that he said we're likely to continue to look at players that we were looking at in January as well as a few new ones, since there's so much to get agreed for each transfer and we weren't able to in January for some

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13697 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
Not really contradicting he knows that a couple will leave and have to be replaced

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13698 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
We currently have 19 senior pro's on our books including two loanees. We started the season with 20. I suspect that 18 is the bare minimum and the under 21's would have to be considered capable of stepping up (Leko and Field almost certainly are). My guess is we will finish the summer with similar numbers to last year.

In terms of obvious recruitment that means no more than 5 new players over the summer.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13699 on: February 23, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »
We currently have 19 senior pro's on our books including two loanees. We started the season with 20. I suspect that 18 is the bare minimum and the under 21's would have to be considered capable of stepping up (Leko and Field almost certainly are). My guess is we will finish the summer with similar numbers to last year.

In terms of obvious recruitment that means no more than 5 new players over the summer.

I honestly don't think it will be that many. I reckon a striker and a replacement for Olsson

Not really contradicting he knows that a couple will leave and have to be replaced

It is when on one hand he says he likes having a small squad of 18 players, then on the other says we need lots of signings. Although most of that radio interview was like that to be honest
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:55:43 AM by TheBrom »